Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2004, 04:09 AM
Master Fan

DVD Thread Part 10: Season 3 is here!

New items marked with a [img]smilies/star.gif[/img]

Seasons 5 and 6
Will be made, however, no release date has been set.

Season 4
Release date: October 5, 2004.
Theme song has been changed to International Theme Song, Jann Arden's "Run Like Mad"
Will contain commentary on "Coming Home" and "The Graduate"
"The Graduate" commentary will also include Alan Cross, writer for the episode
"Extras" will include a Ultimate Dawson's Creek Trivia game
Pre-Order your copy here!

Cover Art:

Season 3
Release date: June 29, 2004
Theme song has been changed to International Theme Song, Jann Arden's "Run Like Mad"
New Music List available : Season 3 DVD Music

Cover Art:

Previous cover art

Menu art:

another capture

23 episodes on 4 discs.
Run time: 998 minutes.
Price: $49.95
Kerr Smith and Paul Stupin will be doing the commentary on episodes #310 & #323
Featuring:
New music replacing original aired versions
An Interactive Tour of Capeside

AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER HERE

Season 2
Cover Art
Back Cover Art

Available for purchase here

Series Finale
Cover Art

Commentary: Paul Stupin and Kevin Williamson
Extras:
- Extended cut with deleted scens fused in.
- Alternate scens from pilot episode.

Easter Egg directions:

1. Go to your "Special Features" menu.
2. Underline "Main Menu".
3. Press the "up" button on your remote twice.
4. Press the "left" button on your remote twice.
5. Press the "enter" button on your remote once.
6. Press the "right" button on your remote twice.
7. The letter in Dawson's hand should be yellow. Hit enter

Season 1
Cover Art

Commentary: Paul Stupin and Kevin Williamson
Extras:
- Season One Time Capsule
- Retrospective: From Day One

Last edited by - Mandy -; 07-29-2004 at 03:44 PM
Old 06-28-2004, 05:06 AM
Fan Forum Hero

They didn't change as many songs, as they did on season 2 DVD, but they changed some of my favorites..

I'm not too happy, but I'm not mad also..

Why did they have to change all the Chantal Kreviazuk songs!!

Icon by sourburst
Old 06-28-2004, 06:00 AM
Extreme Fan

Here is another DVD review from Tvshowsondvd.com

Retun to Capeside
by Gord Lacey (All reviews) 6/28/2004

From Kevin Williamson, writer/creator of Scream and I Know What You Did Last Summer, comes the story of a group of teenagers growing up, living life and falling in love. The show, based on Williamson's life, focuses on childhood friends Dawson and Joey as they grow up and try to cope with their changing friendship. Joining Dawson and Joey on their transition to adulthood is troublemaker Pacey; Jen, Dawson's neighbor; Andie, former girlfriend of Pacey, and academic and Jack, who is dealing with the fallout of coming out in the second season.

Video

I can't explain this, but the video on the third season doesn't look horrible. You might think that's an odd statement to make, but Columbia TriStar has crammed 6 episodes onto 3 of the discs, and 5 onto the other. Normally that would make for a horribly compressed picture, and while it's not perfect, it's also not as bad as I was expecting. Certain scenes look compressed, but there aren't visble blocks in the image; a sure sign of poor compression, usually the result of high motion. In all honesty I think the quality of the video is better in season 3 than it was in season 2, but I still think they'd be better off adding another disc to the set, just to be on the safe side. There's some noticeable dust in a few scenes, and a bit of grain, but nothing too horrible. Chapters are set after the opening, and each disc contains a "play all."

Audio

Just like the previous set, this one contains a Dolby Surround audio track. The dialog from the center speaker is clear and consistent. The two main speakers and the rears are used for the music and sound effects. Speaking of music, a lot of it has been replaced, which shouldn't surprise anyone that has purchased the first 2 sets, however, this season features a different theme song. Stupin explains the song swap in the first commentary track; the Jann Arden song used for season 3 was used for the international broadcasts of the first few seasons, so he decided to switch things up and use it for this set as well. He then admits that part of the decision had to do with money, a fact we could have guessed. Not all the songs have been replaced though; the kareoke songs in "Stolen Kisses" are intact, as well as some of the other songs in other episodes. The set contains Spanish and Portuguese subtitles, and is closed captioned for the hearing impaired. For more information on the original songs, and their replacements, check this site in a few days.

Extras - How we rate extras

Commentary Tracks
Paul Stupin and Kerr Smith provide commentary on "First Encounters of the Close Kind" and "True Love." Stupin and Smith talk throughout the episode, but rarely about what's on the screen. It's pretty entertaining stuff.

Interactive Map of Capeside
A neat feature for the DVD set, this allows you to select various areas of Capside, then view a more detailed screen with the locations, and finally view a video clip. I'd be interested to know where Columbia TriStar got the images they use for Capeside.

Previews (8:00)
There are trailers for Dawson's Creek (1:17), 50 First Dates (2:31), Contemporary TV (2:06) and Original Programming (2:06).

Summary

I'd have to say I'm not a fan of the theme song being swapped. While I'm not a music buff, I know what song should be playing during the opening, and I know Jann Arden didn't sing it (it's "I Don't Want To Wait" by Paula Cole). What bothers me more than a single theme song being replaced is the realization that this is becomming a common trend, especially where Columbia TriStar is concerned (they've swapped out other theme songs). On a lighter note, I enjoyed having Kerr Smith sitting alongside Paul Stupin for the commentary tracks on the set. While Stupin has been fun to listen to on his own, it's nice to hear him carry on a conversation with someone else. Hopefully he'll have someone else join him for the next few sets.

Mandy I know this is a dumb question but I take it season 4's music will be changed as well?
Old 06-28-2004, 06:03 AM
Master Fan

I'm pretty suprised that the changes weren't as bad as the Season 2 DVD. All the Chantal Kreviazuk songs...gone...(big frown).
BUT..."My Invitiation" is still there...YEAH! Jessica Andrews song at the end of "True Love"...man, it's gonna be weird hearing a different song.

All in all, I'm pretty impressed. Some of my faves remained which I'm very happy about. Only 1 more day!

Ali******Avi by *Angie*
Goodbye One Tree Hill
Old 06-28-2004, 06:24 AM
Master Fan

Im pretty okay with the music changes. Couldve been worse I think. Ecstatic that they saved My Invitation, Days Like These, Promise Me This, Hold On, Go Be Young, Better Than Anyone, If (which probably means we'll have it for season 4 as well), Static, Break The Chain, and You Wont See Me Cry.

Not so happy that Settling, Stay You, Both Sides Now, Never Be The Same, Tracks of My Tears, Mend, In Your Keeping, Jealous and I Will Be There for You are gone.

Dont really mind that London Rain is gone though, ahem.

Overall I think I can deal and Im so happy its finally here! Yay.
Old 06-28-2004, 06:28 AM
Extreme Fan

I almost forgot I was sad to see Fiction go the song they play in the Show Me Love teaser. Overall it's not as bad as season 2. I am still on the fence I want to see some fan reviews when it comes out.
Old 06-28-2004, 06:32 AM
Master Fan

I just printed the list and realized some other songs I knew were going to be gone are gone. ("Speak of the Devil" from "Home Movies", "Fiction" from "Show Me Love"). You can't always get what you want.

Ali******Avi by *Angie*
Goodbye One Tree Hill
Old 06-28-2004, 07:12 AM
Total Fan

Thanks for the new thread Mandy! I was very happy to see that they kept "My Invitation" that's great. I'm also happy to see that they didn't change as many songs as I thought they would. Though, I am going to miss the one's that they did leave out. Now I just can't wait for tommorow... can't believe they are finally here!
Old 06-28-2004, 07:26 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Mandy I know this is a dumb question but I take it season 4's music will be changed as well?
Yeah, it will be. They've also given us Jann Arden's "Run Like Mad" again, like they did for the Season 3 set.

I posted this over at another message board, but I figured I'd bring it over here since it still conveys my feelings on this:

I must say that I'm really pleased with what is listed then I thought I would. Yes, I'm really sad about the loss of "Both Sides Now", but then again, I really knew we weren't going to get that one, mostly for the fact that when you come across songs from big, classic artists, the money factor is going to play a huge part. With that being said, I'm glad that they were able to get Mary Beth Maizarz to play so many songs as replacements. I love her voice, and she's a HUGE staple in the DC music for this particular season and onward.

I think with the Tara McClean song, "Settling" and "Dry Land", she's what I believe a defunct artist now, and I can only imagine that her old record label would have been milking it all that they could when approached to use those songs. I'm sure they're well aware that this season was a HUGE turning point for the show, and those songs were beloved by P/Jo fans, not to mention increased the sales of her CD once those songs were broadcasted. Gotta love the money hungry labels.

I think the one song that I'm most bummed about is, "In Your Keeping". However, I see that it was replaced with an Annie Palmer song. She gave us, "My Friend" for "Clean and Sober", which I TOTALLY love. I can only hope this song will do some justice. (As a side note, I'm really sad to see, "Fiction" being replaced. I just adored that song as the opening montage for "Show Me Love", and think it was very fitting. I immediately had to download it when it became available)

Over all, I'm looking forward to hearing the new song choices. The artists listed (and from what I've heard on their official sites), sound very promising. It's a bit comforting to see that the artists used weren't as random, and the songs might actually compliment the scenes as well and give us a different view to the scenes had they used different music back in 1999-2000.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:36 AM
Master Fan

Actually "In Your Keeping" is the biggest upset to me, even more than "I Will Be There For You" and "Settling". When Joeys standing there on the docks in The Longest Day and "In Your Keeping" strikes up it's such a great ending to the episode, it's going to be weird hearing another song.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:00 AM
Master Fan

Yeah..it is going to be weird not hearing "In Your Keeping" during the longest day. Everytime I hear it cueing up after Pacey tells Joey that maybe she should be the first one to leave...I get all misty eyed. I think I'll just bring my trusty CD player and have it playing during that episode.

Ali******Avi by *Angie*
Goodbye One Tree Hill
Old 06-28-2004, 08:02 AM
Fan Forum Star

not as much music changes as i expected it to be, though i kinda mad, that they changed the theme song...
Old 06-28-2004, 08:20 AM
Total Fan

ITA, the biggest upset for me is them cutting "In Your Keeping". It really made this scene what it was, and it won't feel the same without it.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:35 AM
Dedicated Fan

okay... I've never been a person who gets upset over song changes and such, but I cannot believe that they changed the theme song! To me that is disgusting. I would have much rather had some of the other songs changed to have the theme song kept.

Ephram/Madison fan

Joey: "You remember that?"
Pacey: "I remember everything."
Old 06-28-2004, 08:39 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by I_Believe
okay... I've never been a person who gets upset over song changes and such, but I cannot believe that they changed the theme song! To me that is disgusting. I would have much rather had some of the other songs changed to have the theme song kept.
Blame Paula Cole and her label. Seriously, that was the issue. Too much money was asked, and just couldn't be fulfilled.

Ick. I just noticed something.

In the "Homecoming" episode, they changed the song, "Time After Time" by Tuck & Patti. That duo recorded, "Takes My Breath Away", the song sung during Joey and Pacey's love scene. (eek!)

The way I look at it is that it could swing one of two ways (well obviously, but...) "Time After Time" was a cover of the Cyndi Lauper song. It may have required more $$ to secure that as well. As for "Takes My Breath Away", is that a cover as well? If not, they may be able to secure the rights to it for this one time on the Season Four set.

I guess we shall see...