Old 12-27-2017, 08:59 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Non-Ewan Recommendations #22: Christmas break means watching movies

from previous thread

Quote:
You into blondes?
not usually

Quote:
I saw Olympus Has Fallen and London Has Fallen last night. Good action flicks. Gerard is still hot.
Poor guy is stuck in a never-ending cycle of action films

Quote:
Ever see the 2007 Zodiac movie?
I saw it for the first time this year. It was pretty good. Does your home have a basement?
It's crazy how he was never found. Do you think the movie's right and the Zodiac Killer was that hardware store guy?
Old 12-28-2017, 04:44 PM
Fan Forum Star

That guy (who I will always just see as Drew Carey's crossdressing brother ) was excluded via fingerprints and DNA in more recent times, I believe. Since you've seen the movie, I suggest the History Channel series. Only 5 episodes under 45 minutes each. They partially solve one of the Zodiac's ciphers that has gone unsolved for decades. It's one of the top three unsolved codes that has stumped the FBI, CIA, etc. for nearly 50 years. And they uncover newly found DNA. Now to compare it with DNA found at the last known crime scene of the slain taxi driver, and with all the suspects. The detectives in this series have two suspects in mind. Pretty cool that it all starts in my former hood of Riverside, though. My brother went to the school that was the first crime scene mentioned in the series.

I recently saw Maleficent, Hidden Figures, The Expendables III, Dumb & Dumber To, and The Theory of Everything.

I liked the Disney movie and how she really wasn't the evil villain as portrayed in other versions. Perspective is key. Sheldon was a mean prick in Hidden Figures, until the very end when he saw the light and stopped being a misogynist racist. The Expendables was cool, as expected. D&D wasn't as good as the original, but one can't take this sort of movie seriously. And the Stephen Hawking movie was good. I couldn't imagine being with someone that has that disease, so my respect to his wife for sticking around for over 30 years. Glad she got her happy ending, though.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:12 PM
Fan Forum Star

I really loved Hidden Figures. Sheldon was a jerk most of it. But I loved how it featured each of the women's talents and personal lives.

I downloaded the book on audible as a 2 books for 1 credit.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:29 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
That guy (who I will always just see as Drew Carey's crossdressing brother ) was excluded via fingerprints and DNA in more recent times, I believe.
ahhh.

I wonder, though, after all these years how do investigators know DNA hasn't been tainted?

Quote:
I suggest the History Channel series. Only 5 episodes under 45 minutes each.
I tried watching it on my computer, but they wanted me to disable ad blocker (NO!) so I will watch on my iPad.

Quote:
They partially solve one of the Zodiac's ciphers that has gone unsolved for decades. It's one of the top three unsolved codes that has stumped the FBI, CIA, etc. for nearly 50 years.
It's insane that so many smart people have been unable to figure it out. Makes me think the Zodiac was sending gibberish to f--- with the investigators and it really means nothing.

Quote:
Pretty cool that it all starts in my former hood of Riverside, though. My brother went to the school that was the first crime scene mentioned in the series.
I think when I was watching the movie and Riverside was mentioned I was like, Sasha!

Quote:
I liked the Disney movie and how she really wasn't the evil villain as portrayed in other versions. Perspective is key.
I'm the opposite. I thought Disney was crazy for taking one of their most loved villains and trying to soften her. Let the badass bitch be bad.

I liked Hidden Figures a lot.
And Theory of Everything. It's amazing how he's lived so many years more than doctors were telling him he'd live.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:22 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
I wonder, though, after all these years how do investigators know DNA hasn't been tainted?
They keep it all sealed in boxes and anyone that approaches it must be gloved, but who knows how they were back in the day before DNA tech was around.

Quote:
I tried watching it on my computer, but they wanted me to disable ad blocker (NO!) so I will watch on my iPad.
I put pause on my adblock, hit play, and then put it back on. No biggie.

Quote:
I'm the opposite. I thought Disney was crazy for taking one of their most loved villains and trying to soften her. Let the badass bitch be bad.
I liked the spin on it, making the human the villain, and giving a different and refreshing perspective through her eyes. She was still badass, I thought, just not evil and worthy of death like Aurora's loser father. Always nice when the woman beats a guy, though.

Last night I saw The Dark Tower and Gold. Two totally different Matthew McConaughey movies. He looked good in the first one, and old, fat, and bald in the other one.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:59 PM
Fan Forum Star

I am with Victoria on Maleficent. And how dare they turn King Stefan into the villain. He was such a goof in the cartoon and now they have besmirched his name!

I'm going back to the animated movie, thank you very much.

I could not look at the Gold trailer. I was so grossed out.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:45 PM
Fan Forum Star

I don't think I ever saw the toon in its entirety as a child. It was one of those that bored me and didn't catch my interest, I guess.

I never saw the trailer. What was gross about it, aside Matthew?

I just saw two movies today. First I saw What We Did on Our Holiday. Very Scottish film. I liked it. Sad, yet sweet. Billy Connolly is always a plus. And just finished Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. As soon as it started, my first thought was, "Oh, Stephen Hawking is from Hogwarts."
Old 12-31-2017, 10:25 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I think for people who grew up watching & loving Sleeping Beauty, the live action version was a travesty. Whereas people like Sasha, who don't give a fig about the animated version, find it easier to like the live version.

Another problem I have with it is, so it's OK to basically remake Beauty & the Beast almost scene by scene, but Sleeping Beauty isn't good enough to get the same treatment?

Quote:
And just finished Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.
Did you recoil when Colin morphed into Johnny D?

I watched History's Zodiac show. It was interesting, but a lot of the evidence they have against the Ross and Lawrence guys is circumstantial.

I watched Peaky Blinders s4 during my time off. Adrian Brody was terrible. He copied what Marlon Brando did in The Godfather, and he should never, ever, ever be allowed to play a Sicilian again.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:59 PM
Fan Forum Star

That was an interesting transformation. I was wondering when Depp was going to show up.

Very circumstantial. I want to see the DNA results!

Poor Adrien.

I saw Doctor Strange. I don't get the love Benedict gets. He's so blah-looking...
Old 01-01-2018, 03:03 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I refuse to watch the next Fantastic Beasts because of J Depp. Bring back Colin or someone who's not abusive.

Quote:
I want to see the DNA results!
Me too. Maybe they'll do a follow-up.
Do you think Zodiac is still alive?

Quote:
Poor Adrien.
No Poor Adrien. Poor Victoria's ears. I had to listen to him for 6 eps trying too hard to be Marlon Brando.

Quote:
I don't get the love Benedict gets. He's so blah-looking...
I think he's a decent actor but his looks leave much to be desired.
Ever see Imitation Game?
Old 01-01-2018, 07:53 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Do you think Zodiac is still alive?
Doubt it.

Quote:
I had to listen to him for 6 eps trying too hard to be Marlon Brando.
At least he didn't imitate the Irishman's true, squeaky voice.

Quote:
Ever see Imitation Game?
Nope.

I saw all three Taken movies yesterday. Saw the first two ages ago, but saw them again so I can finally watch the third one. Liam makes a cool, badass dad.

Finished the audiobook of the second Outlander. Now onto the third one.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:55 AM
Fan Forum Legend

The History program made me wonder if I could write a cipher that would baffle the likes of government agencies and computers for 50 years. Think you could do it?

Quote:
At least he didn't imitate the Irishman's true, squeaky voice.
Who's the Irishman?

You should see The Imitation Game. The computer those cipher geniuses were using made me think of the movie and how far Alan's technology has come.

Liam should start making more dramas and skip the action movies for a while.

How many hours is each audiobook?
Old 01-02-2018, 06:16 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.S.H.A. (View Post)
I don't think I ever saw the toon in its entirety as a child. It was one of those that bored me and didn't catch my interest, I guess.

I never saw the trailer. What was gross about it, aside Matthew?

I just saw two movies today. First I saw What We Did on Our Holiday. Very Scottish film. I liked it. Sad, yet sweet. Billy Connolly is always a plus. And just finished Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. As soon as it started, my first thought was, "Oh, Stephen Hawking is from Hogwarts."
Vic and I acted it out as kids. We'd run around with pencils in our hands like we were the 3 good fairies.

Matthew was what was gross.

I liked Fantastic Beasts up until Depp showed up.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:53 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
I liked Fantastic Beasts up until Depp showed up.
And Jude Law falling in love with J Depp is like....what is Dumbledore smoking? The only thing that can maybe explain Dumbledore falling in love with a scum human is a good face, and J Depp doesn't have one anymore.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:46 PM
Fan Forum Star

:yes: Agreed.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread