Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2008, 08:45 AM
Nad
Fan Forum Hero

Jack/Nad (Exit Strategy) Appr. #1: Bc they'll be going to Egypt together to see the P

Welcome to the Jack/Nad Appreciation thread

Exit Strategy by Kelley Armstrong:
Law enforcement is in Nadia Stafford's blood. She comes from a long line of police officers, and was one herself until the wrong case sent her over the line from cop to killer. Now, to keep her beloved wilderness lodge afloat, she's a contract killer for a small Mafia family.

When a serial killer with all the earmarks of a hit-man begins murdering innocent people, the police investigation threatens to unmask Nadia and others, and she bands together with a small group of hitmen, including her mentor—the mysterious Jack. But once the killer realizes who's on his trail, his simple plan twists into a complex game as both sides fight to prove who is the hunter...and who the prey.

Made to be Broken (Coming spring 2009)
Nadia Stafford isn’t your typical nature lodge owner. An ex-cop with a legal code all her own, she’s known only as “Dee” to her current employers: a New York crime family who pays her handsomely to bump off traitors. But when Nadia discovers that a troubled teenage employee and her baby have vanished in the Canadian woods, the memory of a past loss comes back with a vengeance, and her old instincts go into overdrive.

With her enigmatic mentor, Jack, covering her back, Nadia unearths sinister clues that point to an increasingly darker and deadlier mystery. Now, with her obsession over the case deepening, the only way Nadia can right the wrongs of the present is to face her own painful ghosts—and either bury them for good, or die trying. Because in her book, everyone deserves a chance. And everyone deserves justice.

Jack/Nad Shippers:
Nad
Andie
crazy_diamond
ker418

Reasons:
  1. Because he is her mentor
  2. Because he wants her by his side
  3. Because he can't just say hi (page 26)
  4. Because they share a smoke occasionally (page 28)
  5. Because Evelyn suspects that Nad wants to know more about Jack (page 132)
  6. Because Evelyn told Jack that Nad is still in one piece (page 134)
  7. Because something in his voice made her look up (page 135)
  8. Because he took her out for dinner (p. 139)
  9. Because he made her hot cocoa (page 164)
  10. Because he let her see him without a disguise intentionally (page 164)
  11. Because she is Jack's (page 218)
  12. Because he looks better than fine in a tuxedo (page 270)
  13. Because being with her makes him look like a doting husband? (page 284)
  14. Because every time he glances over to her his face is softening (page 284)
  15. Because he draped his coat over her (page 312)
  16. Because she keeps him calm on the plane (page 319)
  17. Because he brushed the faint scar on her throat (page 359)
  18. Because he gazed at her 3 times (page 360)
  19. Because he studied her (page 360)
  20. Because she couldn't help but stare at him (page 361)
  21. Because she knows about his 'war wounds' (page 361)
  22. Because she was lying in bed besides him (page 361)
  23. Because it stung that she was more than half naked and he hadn't so much as snuck a second look (page 361)
  24. Because she thinks he is sexy (page 361)
  25. Because in Nad's opinion he looks damn good half naked (page 361)
  26. Because according to Nad, Jack is lean and hard and sexy as hell (page 361)
  27. Because she knows his favorite brand of cigarettes (page 371)
  28. Because she bought him cigarettes (page 371)
  29. Because he has her back (page 377)
  30. Because seeing a gun pointed at her makes him nervous (page 378)
  31. Because he doesn't want her setting herself up to be the next victim (page 381)
  32. Because he cleaned her wounds (page 412)
  33. Because he bandaged her hands (page 414)
  34. Because Evelyn wants him to "Change that. Do something." (page 426)
  35. Because his hand smoothed her hair (page 432)
  36. Because he traced his fingertips down her cheek (page 432)
  37. Because instead of heating up yoo-hoo he wanted to go downstairs and get her the real stuff (page 433)
  38. Because she trusts him (page 434)
  39. Because she can let her guard down when she's only with him (page 438)
  40. Because she doesn't need to be careful with him (page 438)
  41. Because she doesn't want his money (page 478)
  42. Because he thinks she earned it (page 478)
  43. Because they'll see each other around (page 480)

Old 08-26-2008, 08:51 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for starting the thread Nad Add me please I am a huge fan of them. I really hope they'll get together in Made to be Broken *fingers crossed*

Maybe we could add
Because he bandaged her hands (page 414)
Old 08-26-2008, 08:58 AM
Nad
Fan Forum Hero

Hey Andie I'll get you & the reason added right away

I love that scene btw - okay, I love the whole book, but I digress

Can't wait for Made to be Broken to be released, I wanna know if they went to Egypt (among other things )

Can you pinpoint your fave Jack/Nad scene btw?
Old 08-26-2008, 09:07 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Nad Thanks for the add sweetie

Oh, I have quiet a few ideas what they could be doing in Egypt together... besides seeing the Pyramids for real that is

A favourite scene... that's a though call. I'll have to think about it for a bit but right now I doubt I'll be able to narrow it down I have to admit I love all their scenes together, even if they are a mad at each other - like Jack was after Wilkes picked Nad as his next victim and she didn't run away.

What's yours?

More reasons:
Because his hand smoothed her hair (page 432)
Because he traced his fingertips down her cheek (page 432)
Because instead of heating up yoo-hoo he wanted to go downstairs and get her the real stuff (page 433)
Because she trusts him (page 434)
Old 08-26-2008, 09:49 AM
Nad
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Andie- (View Post)
Oh, I have quiet a few ideas what they could be doing in Egypt together... besides seeing the Pyramids for real that is
Uhm... tell me about it

Great choice for a fave scene btw, he was so mad and yet you could feel he was worried at the same time

Okay, my fave scene - definitely tough to pick. Pretty high up on my list is when she's returning from meeting Quinn and overhears his conversation with Evelyn (or shall we say, Evelyn is doing the talking - because Jack is his usual self )

Which leads me to another reason: Because Evelyn wants him to "Change that. Do something." (page 426)
Because they'll see each other around (page 480)
Old 08-26-2008, 11:11 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by globe2912 (View Post)
Uhm... tell me about it

Quote:
Great choice for a fave scene btw, he was so mad and yet you could feel he was worried at the same time
He was scared of loosing her forever. He isn't a man of words... but this time he decided to talk, to talk a lot.

Quote:
Okay, my fave scene - definitely tough to pick. Pretty high up on my list is when she's returning from meeting Quinn and overhears his conversation with Evelyn (or shall we say, Evelyn is doing the talking - because Jack is usual self )
That scene is priceless! Because Evelyn tries to force Jack into acting up on his feelings. At least I am reading that scene this way. She cares for him, wants him to be happy... I think she sees in him a son she never had. Therefore loosing the woman he fell in love with - I am positively sure he fell very very hard for Nad - to another guy isn't an option for her. I wish she could have persuaded him to act upon it

Quote:
Which leads me to another reason: Because Evelyn wants him to "Change that. Do something." (page 426)
Because they'll see each other around (page 480)
Very good reason

Another reason that crossed my mind in reference to Nad's comment towards Quinn:
Because she is Jack's
Old 08-26-2008, 11:46 AM
Nad
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
He was scared of loosing her forever. He isn't a man of words... but this time he decided to talk, to talk a lot.
Jack is definitely a fan of the 'lets actions speak' concept most of the time Sometime you could think he wants people to read his mind as well But once he decides to go with talking, he sure can talk and bring his point across.

Quote:
That scene is priceless! Because Evelyn tries to force Jack into acting up on his feelings. At least I am reading that scene this way. She cares for him, wants him to be happy... I think she sees in him a son she never had. Therefore loosing the woman he fell in love with - I am positively sure he fell very very hard for Nad - to another guy isn't an option for her. I wish she could have persuaded him to act upon it
Evelyn definitely sees something more than beyond professional concern behind his actions/behavior, otherwise she wouldn't talk to him like that. Not to mention that she also urges Nad to go after him when he storms out of the car after Wilkes attacked her.

Re Jack falling hard: Yep, totally agree. I don't think he'd be so concerned about any male pro he's working with. He comforts her when she has nightmares, makes her hot cocoa when she can't sleep, covers her with his coat and so on.

Thinking about those made me think about another of my fave scenes - Jack & Nad doing nighttime target practice in the woods

Or Wilkes checking them out as a couple at the Opera House - from his description I'd say he sees the signs too, at least from Jack (I think he thinks something along the lines of: face softening each time he looks at her and doting husband )

Quote:
Another reason that crossed my mind in reference to Nad's comment towards Quinn:
Because she is Jack's
Oh good one
Old 08-26-2008, 12:25 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Jack is definitely a fan of the 'lets actions speak' concept most of the time Sometime you could think he wants people to read his mind as well But once he decides to go with talking, he sure can talk and bring his point across.
And if he does, you sometimes wish he kept his mouth shut. I think Evelyn said something along those lines.

Quote:
Evelyn definitely sees something more than beyond professional concern behind his actions/behavior, otherwise she wouldn't talk to him like that. Not to mention that she also urges Nad to go after him when he storms out of the car after Wilkes attacked her.
True. Another situation that shows that Evelyn suspects that there is more is the situation in her bathroom. She points a gun at Nad, looks into Jack's eyes through a mirror and says 'Don't like that, do you Jacko' or something similar. The point is, she already knew that Jack had somekind of feelings for Nad.

Quote:
Re Jack falling hard: Yep, totally agree. I don't think he'd be so concerned about any male pro he's working with. He comforts her when she has nightmares, makes her hot cocoa when she can't sleep, covers her with his coat and so on.
He wouldn't work with another pro in the first palce He doesn't work with partners... Nad is the only exception here..... which of course shows us something

Quote:
Thinking about those made me think about another of my fave scenes - Jack & Nad doing nighttime target practice in the woods
That's a great one indeed. They seek confort in each other after the mess at theater and Nad ends up sleeping on his lap.

Quote:
Or Wilkes checking them out as a couple at the Opera House - from his description I'd say he sees the signs too, at least from Jack (I think he thinks something along the lines of: face softening each time he looks at her and doting husband )
That's one of my faves as well. I don't think that it was all acting on jack#s side. He clearly loves to listen to her. We should make a reason out of it for sure!
Old 08-26-2008, 12:52 PM
Nad
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
And if he does, you sometimes wish he kept his mouth shut. I think Evelyn said something along those lines.
True enough He needs to work on the finer parts of his communication skills it seems.

Quote:
True. Another situation that shows that Evelyn suspects that there is more is the situation in her bathroom. She points a gun at Nad, looks into Jack's eyes through a mirror and says 'Don't like that, do you Jacko' or something similar.
She says 'Making you nervous, Jacko' One could think she's rooting for them. Evelyn could be a honorary shipper

Quote:
He wouldn't work with another pro in the first palce He doesn't work with partners... Nad is the only exception here..... which of course shows us something
Well yes, of course he wouldn't usually work with another pro, but if a similar situation would arise, he certainly wouldn't do the things he does for Nad for anyone else.

One could argue, he's just doing all that because he's her mentor, but I don't think all the stuff he does can be written up to that.

Quote:
That's a great one indeed. They seek confort in each other after the mess at theater and Nad ends up sleeping on his lap.
Yep and she assumes he carried her back to her bedroom when she fell asleep in his room after he made her the Yoo-hoo.

New reason: Because she thinks he carried her to her bedroom

Quote:
That's one of my faves as well. I don't think that it was all acting on jack#s side. He clearly loves to listen to her. We should make a reason out of it for sure!
You want to make a reason out of that? Why not - any ideas for the wording?
Old 08-27-2008, 01:39 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
True enough He needs to work on the finer parts of his communication skills it seems.
He knows that I guess - remember what he said to Nad about not having to be careful, about being able to let her guard down as long as he doesn't open his mouth.

Maybe that'd be another reason too:
Because she can let her guard down when she's only with him with (page 438)

Quote:
She says 'Making you nervous, Jacko' One could think she's rooting for them. Evelyn could be a honorary shipper
I like that idea

Quote:
Well yes, of course he wouldn't usually work with another pro, but if a similar situation would arise, he certainly wouldn't do the things he does for Nad for anyone else.
Maybe for Evelyn, but besides that it's a no go for everyone else.

Quote:
One could argue, he's just doing all that because he's her mentor, but I don't think all the stuff he does can be written up to that.
Agreed!

Quote:
Yep and she assumes he carried her back to her bedroom when she fell asleep in his room after he made her the Yoo-hoo.
I am pretty sure it was Jack... because who else? I doubt he'd let Quinn in for that I wish she would have been conscious. The way he must have looked at her when he picked her up, carried her to the other room, lay her down on the bed and pulled up the covers...

Quote:
New reason: Because she thinks he carried her to her bedroom
I like that

Quote:
You want to make a reason out of that? Why not - any ideas for the wording?
Because being with her makes him look like a doting husband? (page 284)

Another one from the opera chapter could be
Because every time he glances over to her his face is softening (page 284)
Old 08-27-2008, 10:20 AM
Nad
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
He knows that I guess - remember what he said to Nad about not having to be careful, about being able to let her guard down as long as he doesn't open his mouth.
Oh, I totally forgot about that comment

Quote:
Maybe that'd be another reason too:
Because she can let her guard down when she's only with him with (page 438)
Good one, going to add it now

Quote:
Maybe for Evelyn, but besides that it's a no go for everyone else.
Yeah, Evelyn would be the only one I could see him doing it for, but I still think he wouldn't go that far - even with Evelyn.

Quote:
I am pretty sure it was Jack... because who else? I doubt he'd let Quinn in for that I wish she would have been conscious. The way he must have looked at her when he picked her up, carried her to the other room, lay her down on the bed and pulled up the covers...
There's no way he'd let Quinn in for that Jack would probably rather have Nad yell at him all day long than let Quinn anywhere near her if her if he had the choice.

I mean, look at how mad he was when she went out on a jog with Quinn - Jack is constantly worried about Nad if he can't be with her. He even offered to go with her the next day - erm... to follow her in his car (since he only runs when he's chasing someone )

Quote:
Because being with her makes him look like a doting husband? (page 284)
Because every time he glances over to her his face is softening (page 284)
I love those, adding them right away
Old 08-27-2008, 11:33 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
There's no way he'd let Quinn in for that Jack would probably rather have Nad yell at him all day long than let Quinn anywhere near her if her if he had the choice.

Quinn knows that too.... well that Jack doesn't like the idea of him persueing a relationship of somekind with Nad. He sees it in his body language. What strikes me as kinda cute is that Nad asked Quinn, if Jack said anything about a potential relationship between her and Quinn. Secretly I believe that she was wishing/hoping for a comment from Jack.

Not sure if we can consider those to be reasons but...
Because Quinn wanted to know if Jack and Nad were together
Because Jack kept shooting nasty looks at Quinn

Quote:
I mean, look at how mad he was when she went out on a jog with Quinn - Jack is constantly worried about Nad if he can't be with her. He even offered to go with her the next day - erm... to follow her in his car (since he only runs when he's chasing someone )
I remember that scene pretty well. He didn't want her to be alone on the streets or with Quinn. He is always trying to keep an eye on her, to keep her safe.

Another cute scene was when she saw him without a disguise for the first time during the first night they stayed at Evelyn's. He made her some fresh hot cocca. How sweet was that? We have to add that to our reasons list:
Because he made her hot cocca! (page 163)
Because he let her see him without a disguise intentionally (page 164)
Old 08-27-2008, 12:54 PM
Nad
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Quinn knows that too.... well that Jack doesn't like the idea of him persueing a relationship of somekind with Nad. He sees it in his body language.
I agree, Jack's whole behaviour made it clear to him that he'd better back off. I'm not going to say, Jack sees her as his (at least he won't admit that ), but he makes it clear to anyone who might persuade anything beyond friendship with Nad, that he won't be happy about it. And given Jack's profession, I'm sure the message is clear.

Quote:
What strikes me as kinda cute is that Nad asked Quinn, if Jack said anything about a potential relationship between her and Quinn. Secretly I believe that she was wishing/hoping for a comment from Jack.
I'm sure she was hoping for Quinn to let something slip about a comment from Jack . She's aware Jack isn't comfortable about relationships between... shall we call them co-workers or colleagues?

Quote:
Not sure if we can consider those to be reasons but...
Because Quinn wanted to know if Jack and Nad were together
Because Jack kept shooting nasty looks at Quinn
Why not? Quinn would like to pursue a relationship with Nad and he knows Jack doesn't approve. Jack's looks speak for themselves, he's not a happy camper.

Quote:
I remember that scene pretty well. He didn't want her to be alone on the streets or with Quinn. He is always trying to keep an eye on her, to keep her safe.
Absolutely. It's his main priority.

Quote:
Another cute scene was when she saw him without a disguise for the first time during the first night they stayed at Evelyn's. He made her some fresh hot cocca. How sweet was that? We have to add that to our reasons list:
Because he made her hot cocca! (page 163)
Because he let her see him without a disguise intentionally (page 164)
The first one is already there Adding the second one now.

I was just re-reading that part btw. He's definitely more comfortable around her than with anyone else - besides Evelyn - with letting down his disguise. In their profession, disguise is everything, you slip up and your life might be in serious danger.

I was wondering if they'll have the real talk Nad is thinking about at the airport in the next book. I for one would love to read about it.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:45 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I agree, Jack's whole behaviour made it clear to him that he'd better back off. I'm not going to say, Jack sees her as his (at least he won't admit that ), but he makes it clear to anyone who might persuade anything beyond friendship with Nad, that he won't be happy about it. And given Jack's profession, I'm sure the message is clear.
Sadly, Quinn doesn't follow Jack#s advise. I wish Jack would do more than just shooting him nasty glances. We know that Jack thinks it's unprofessional do have a fling with a co-worker on a mission, yet I wish he'd make his point more clearly to Quinn. Jack is so jealous and tries do prevent Quinn7Nadia bonding. But he should do more than the subtle things like for example at the baseball stadium. Quinn still managed to sit besides Nad.

Quote:
Why not? Quinn would like to pursue a relationship with Nad and he knows Jack doesn't approve. Jack's looks speak for themselves, he's not a happy camper.
He isn't one for sure. Otherwise he wouldn't have talked to Evelyn about it.

Quote:
The first one is already there Adding the second one now.
I must have missed it. Thanks for adding the other one

Quote:
I was just re-reading that part btw. He's definitely more comfortable around her than with anyone else - besides Evelyn - with letting down his disguise. In their profession, disguise is everything, you slip up and your life might be in serious danger.
True It also shows how much he cares for her. He wants to let his guard down, to show her the real Jack. He doesn't want to lie to her so to speak. He is showing her the 'real deal' by smoking his favourite brand off cigarettes when he is with her, by not using an common American accent etc.

Quote:
I was wondering if they'll have the real talk Nad is thinking about at the airport in the next book. I for one would love to read about it.
I hope that Nad will get the talk, and that we'll be able to read it. Jack is someone who tries to evade those kind of questions, but I wonder if he won't answer her in the end... because Nad is the one who is asking.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:31 PM
Nad
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Sadly, Quinn doesn't follow Jack#s advise. I wish Jack would do more than just shooting him nasty glances. We know that Jack thinks it's unprofessional do have a fling with a co-worker on a mission, yet I wish he'd make his point more clearly to Quinn.
Yeah, that would be a start. I don't think he's ready to do that yet, to admit that his feelings for Nad are more than just friendship or professional concern

Quote:
Jack is so jealous and tries do prevent Quinn7Nadia bonding. But he should do more than the subtle things like for example at the baseball stadium. Quinn still managed to sit besides Nad.
He should, but as I said above, I'm not sure if he's willing to admit his real feelings to himself yet, let along talk to Nad about it

Quote:
He isn't one for sure. Otherwise he wouldn't have talked to Evelyn about it.
Him opening up to Evelyn says a lot Maybe her prodding and poking will make him think about it some more and get him to admit his feelings openly soon.

Quote:
True It also shows how much he cares for her. He wants to let his guard down, to show her the real Jack. He doesn't want to lie to her so to speak. He is showing her the 'real deal' by smoking his favourite brand off cigarettes when he is with her, by not using an common American accent etc.
All that is definitely a sign, while he can't admit his feelings in words (yet), all those little signs tell a lot about how much he cares and admires her.

Quote:
Jack is someone who tries to evade those kind of questions, but I wonder if he won't answer her in the end... because Nad is the one who is asking.
He isn't the most outspoken man in history, that's for sure Nad needs to find a way to get beyond all the walls he's build around him and get him to answer her questions - won't be easy though, but here's hope she'll find a way.