Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2010, 04:50 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zefiro (View Post)
Luna marrying Rufus
Rolf! She married Rolf! Sorry, that just tickled me. Maybe Rufus is Rolf's twin brother?

I love it when Evanna talks about the books, because you can tell she's a fan who's really thought about them, you know? Not that the other kids aren't real fans, too, but their answers about the books are usually more general. You can tell they've only read them once and haven't spent much time thinking or talking about them beyond that. I get that impression especially with the three actors playing the trio. But Evanna has clearly spent a lot of time thinking about and talking about and loving these books, and it really comes out whenever she talks about them.

And Epilogue love FTW!

Bonnie's Army | Harry ღ Ginny | Icon by sanya4 on LJ
Old 12-02-2010, 05:58 PM
Elite Fan

Epiloge was not the best thing that happened to the series, imo. Though I absolutely love R/Hr I never wanted a married with children scenario for them. Flash forward endings usually fail, because it is always hard to make them believable. We knew these characters as kids and teens and then suddenly we see them as adults married on each other... it was just not right and too... fairy-tale like, you know? HP wasn't a fairy tale, the last book was dark and complecated and then all these extra-cheese in the end kinda ruined all the impression. Even if we talk like big guys, really: did these guys ever had sexual partners except the ones they are married too? Maybe, not sure, but maybe Ron had something with Lavender, but Hermione definitely didn't have anything with Krum or Cormak. Harry never had sex with Cho, so Ginny was his first. It was a teenage book and it should have stayed a teenage book, all that marrage thing was too much, imo. Just IMO...

Evanna was always fan. She admired JKR and the series. But I disagree that the other guys are not as big fans. I think Emma really is a fan, what she told about R/Hr was very thoughtful. Also Dan really seemed to get into the books when he was casted as Harry, because before that he only read the first two novels. I loved all his interviews, I liked that he loved all the plot-lines with Harry and his relationships with all the characters. He really understands Ron & Harry friendship and while some people think it was all about jealusy, Dan sees the deeper side of it and I agree with lots of stuff he said.

icon: swanspirate@tumblr
Old 12-02-2010, 06:29 PM
Total Fan

But HP is a fantasy series about a boy who is told by a half-giant that he's a wizard, and then goes off to an enchanted castle in Scotland to learn magic. I mean, it's all pretty unbelievable.

Compared to that, I don't find it hard at all to believe that most of the kids married their Hogwarts sweethearts. In fact, compared to everything else, I think it's probably one of the most realistic things about the books!

That said, if you wanted them to get more experience before they settled down and got married, then at least our girl Luna did just that. She traveled the world doing something she was passionate about, and didn't settle down to marriage and a family until she was well into adulthood, according to JKR. And she didn't marry her Hogwarts sweetheart, either, so if we like, we can assume she dated plenty of people before Rolf.

And I didn't mean that the other kids weren't fans, just that I think Evanna was always more hardcore than they were. Even Dan, Emma, Rupert, and Matt all said that she was a way bigger fan than any of them had been, and they found that so endearing about her.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennylane_4 (View Post)
I love it when Evanna talks about the books, because you can tell she's a fan who's really thought about them, you know? Not that the other kids aren't real fans, too, but their answers about the books are usually more general. You can tell they've only read them once and haven't spent much time thinking or talking about them beyond that. I get that impression especially with the three actors playing the trio. But Evanna has clearly spent a lot of time thinking about and talking about and loving these books, and it really comes out whenever she talks about them.

And Epilogue love FTW!
I get that impression from them as well, especially from the boys. Dan has said in some interviews (OoTP/GoF era) that he remembers the script more than the books before he gets to read the scripts over and over again compared to the books; when Rupert said during the HBP promos that Ron was "sorta clumsy with Quidditch" my initial reaction was, "It's been a long time since you've read HBP dear Rupert because Ron was not clumsy at Quidditch, he was nervous about playing but he was not clumsy about it."

Evanna on the other hard was and will always be a fan above anything else, I feel. Plus she had like five years more to embrace the books-into-movie experience as a fan before she became one of those we all admire and go fangirl-y about. For me, that's why her interviews and views on the film and her character's always interesting to read/view.
"They say nothing lasts forever; will you be my 'nothing'?"
Old 12-02-2010, 06:41 PM
Elite Fan

The point is that relationships are always very hard to write. Always. And when we have a book telling us a story about teens, in my opinion, it should stay that way. Maybe it's just me, I don't like flashforward endings at all When Charmed and a couple of other cool shows did it I was a bit dissappointed. I prefer open finals just for that reason.

Quote:
we can assume she dated plenty of people before Rolf.
Hope so That would have been much more realistic

Other guys love the series, just in their own way I guess Yes, in a way of adoring the series and actually *feeling* them I think yes, Evanna is probably the biggest fan. But these series became a part of these guys' lives and they all where a part of that series. So I think no matter how strong some of them love the series they all are fans in equal measure.

icon: swanspirate@tumblr
Old 12-02-2010, 06:57 PM
CHH
Extreme Fan

Quote:
We knew these characters as kids and teens and then suddenly we see them as adults married on each other... it was just not right and too... fairy-tale like, you know? HP wasn't a fairy tale, the last book was dark and complecated and then all these extra-cheese in the end kinda ruined all the impression.
The original version of fairy tales tend to be very dark themselves. In the original Cinderella, her stepsisters actually cut off parts of their feet to fit the glass slipper and birds pecked out their eyes. I had a friend who was so traumatized by the original story that she couldn't even watch the Disney version of the story. I always saw Harry Potter as a modern day version of a fairy tale so I fully expected a happily ever after ending.

Another question for my Ask JKR list is the age gap between Rolf and Luna. I always saw him as about ten years younger. Right now I'm also picturing him as German or Austrian but that's probably because my mind is still stuck on Luna as nanny to the Von Trapp family.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:01 PM
Elite Fan

Now after reading CHH's post I want to watch the Sound of Music and will be picturing Luna as Maria and Rolf as Captain Von Trapp.
“I’ve lived on borrowed time. More than any man deserves. I’ve seen wonders beyond my wildest imaginings. Through these centuries, against the impossibility that we’d find each other, we did. And I am most grateful for it."
Ichabod ♥ Abbie
Old 12-02-2010, 07:06 PM
CHH
Extreme Fan

"The forests are alive with the sound of snorkacks . . . "
Old 12-02-2010, 07:07 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgose (View Post)
Now after reading CHH's post I want to watch the Sound of Music and will be picturing Luna as Maria and Rolf as Captain Von Trapp.
That's a great plot bunny

I'd like to know more about Luna's post-Hogwarts life as well, I mean not even a narrative, just like a timeline of what she did until the year of the epilogue. We can safely assume what the other five (Harry & Ginny, Ron & Hermione, and Neville) did in the 19 year gap.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Extreme Fan

I liked the epilogue. It gave a sense of solid closure to the series. Especially when you consider the amount of people who wanted more stories. But it was Jo's way of saying "Nope. It ends here." And after all, whatever Jo says, goes.

I'd have liked to hear a mention of Luna though
Old 12-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHH (View Post)
Another question for my Ask JKR list is the age gap between Rolf and Luna. I always saw him as about ten years younger.
Oooh, doesn't Northumbrian have a fic in which the age difference between Luna and Rolf is explored and, well, I'm not saying any more to spoil anything. But (this isn't spoilery, it happens early in the fic) it involves her and Ginny going to Tibet together. I think it's Northumbrian who wrote that.

Anyway. Luna as nanny to the Von Trapp family is never going to stop making me laugh.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:22 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Oooh, doesn't Northumbrian have a fic in which the age difference between Luna and Rolf is explored and, well, I'm not saying any more to spoil anything. But (this isn't spoilery, it happens early in the fic) it involves her and Ginny going to Tibet together. I think it's Northumbrian who wrote that.

Anyway. Luna as nanny to the Von Trapp family is never going to stop making me laugh.
Ooh.. link, link! Luna and Ginny friendship stories are seriously lacking fandom -- make more.

Quote:
I liked the epilogue. It gave a sense of solid closure to the series. Especially when you consider the amount of people who wanted more stories. But it was Jo's way of saying "Nope. It ends here." And after all, whatever Jo says, goes.
Didn't she have an interview where she said this? Or what that in the HBP DVD feature of her.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHH (View Post)
"The forests are alive with the sound of snorkacks . . . "
Oh no now I'm picturing her spinning around in the woods in Maria's costume singing that. !!
“I’ve lived on borrowed time. More than any man deserves. I’ve seen wonders beyond my wildest imaginings. Through these centuries, against the impossibility that we’d find each other, we did. And I am most grateful for it."
Ichabod ♥ Abbie

Last edited by Kgose; 12-02-2010 at 08:32 PM
Old 12-02-2010, 07:36 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alxndrjosephine (View Post)
Ooh.. link, link! Luna and Ginny friendship stories are seriously lacking fandom -- make more.
E.C.C.E.N.T.R.I.C. by Northumbrian. A lovely canon-compliant fic with some pretty great interaction between Luna and Ginny.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:45 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
E.C.C.E.N.T.R.I.C. by Northumbrian. A lovely canon-compliant fic with some pretty great interaction between Luna and Ginny.
Ooh, thanks, thanks <3

I'd like to read one where Harry & Ginny's just deciding to name their baby girl after Luna, well at least Lily's middle name is Luna.

*off to read the fic*
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top