Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2012, 07:30 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis Nick (View Post)
Why is Snape so concerned about Harry Potter's return to Hogwarts, and why would he want to punish anyone aiding Harry Potter?
Dumbledore is dead. Snape is a spy for Voldemort. I'm sure Voldemort has instructed him to punish anyone from Hogwarts who's helping Harry. Snape is concerned for Harry's return to Hogwarts because he genuinely is.

Quote:
Shortly afterwards Harry Potter answers him back angrily:
I'm afraid it's quite extensive. How dare you stand where he stood. Tell them how it happened that night. Tell them how you looked him in the eye, a man who trusted you and killed him. Tell them.

Please explain that.
Harry is talking about Snape killing Dumbledore. At this point of course, we don't know that Snape is acting on Dumbledore's orders and is protecting Harry.

Quote:
Shortly afterwards there is some wand waving, with flames emitted (interestingly and confusingly Minerva McGonagall waves her wand at him - why?), and Severus Snape flies out through the church window.

Was this an attempt to kill Severus Snape? If so, did they succeed? Please clarify the situation.
Again, Snape is working with the Death Eaters & Voldemort. We don't know at this point that he is carrying out a plan to save Harry. The only other person who knows this is Dumbledore but he's dead. I believe it's an attempt to distract Snape, not to kill him as I don't see Minerva the killing type.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:48 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
Dumbledore is dead. Snape is a spy for Voldemort. I'm sure Voldemort has instructed him to punish anyone from Hogwarts who's helping Harry. Snape is concerned for Harry's return to Hogwarts because he genuinely is. We don't know at this point that he is carrying out a plan to save Harry. The only other person who knows this is Dumbledore but he's dead. I believe it's an attempt to distract Snape, not to kill him as I don't see Minerva the killing type.
So what all this boils down to, are you saying that Severus Snape was a friend and an enemy to Harry Potter?
Old 02-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Moderator Manager

He was not a friend per se like Ron or Hermione was to Harry nor was he an enemy at all. He was a teacher at Hogwarts. However you want to call his relationship to Harry, Snape was Harry's protector because he cared for Lily. He cared for her enough to protect her son. He may not be fond of Harry because he's James' son but his love for Lily is enough to look out for Harry no matter what the cost. Even if it meant he has to die for him. What this all boils down to is this: Snape is selfless and we don't see many people like that these days.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:24 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
One Direction

I disagree that Snape was a selfless person. Over the years he had many selfish moments on his life. Starting by telling Voldemort about the prophecy, which ended up for being the cause of Lily's death. So Snape always felt guilty, and saving Harry was his way to get some peace with Lily's memory, IMO. I don't think he wanted to save Harry, but that was the way he found to redeem himself. In a way that's selfish because he only did it for himself, but also pretty selfless because of everything he went trough to save Harry, without knowing he would have to die in the end. I bet he wanted to kill Dumbledore when he found out about that little detail.

At the end of the day, Snape had a very tragic life, and it's funny how such a dark and "mean" character can save the day and be considered a hero too. IMO he was selfish, but had some really selfless moment, and his help was definitely crucial to Harry.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:37 AM
Moderator Manager

Agreed too but I feel he's selfless because to me, he redeemed himself in the end and whatever his intentions were and what it has done to him didn't matter. JKR wrote Snape to be a very flawed character which I like. He can be treated in different ways for sure but yes, he did lead a tragic life which is sad. At the back of his mind, it was always Lily and while that may be selfish in the sense that it was her that made him look out for Harry, I'll forever be thankful for whatever help he might have contributed for Harry's safety - even if it's means that I'll never understand. I think for him saving Harry is not only for himself but also for Lily and his guilt - like you said. It bothered him definitely and he wanted to make amends in the end.

We can agree to disagree but I do agree with what you said about him being selfish in that sense.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:27 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
One Direction

I agree. I really don't understand most of Snape's actions, but I'm also grateful that he helped Harry. Especially on the last book, his help was crucial for Harry to destroy the Horcruxes.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:51 AM
Moderator Manager

He's very complicated. I love the way JKR wrote about his character and turned him upside down come DH.

Congratulations!

Quote:
The 16th annual Art Directors Guild (ADG) awards took place on Saturday night in Los Angeles, where the Harry Potter series received the Outstanding Contribution to Cinematic Imagery, as well as won the fantasy film award for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2. On hand to receive the accolades were director David Yates, producer David Heyman, production designer Stuart Craig, art director Neil Lamont, and set decorator Stephenie McMillan.

The Art Directors Guild (ADG) tonight announced winners of its 16th Annual Excellence in Production Design Awards in nine categories of film, television, commercials and music videos during black-tie ceremonies at the International Ballroom of the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills. The awards took place before an audience of more than 700, including guild members, industry executives, studio heads and press.

ADG President Thomas A. Walsh presided over the awards ceremony with Paula Poundstone serving as host for the third consecutive year. Ben Vereen performed as a special musical guest. Production Designer Tony Walton was the recipient of the Lifetime Achievement Award. Hall of Fame inductees were Robert Boyle, William Darling, and Alfred Junge.

The team from the HARRY POTTER films, including Executive Producer David Heyman, Producer David Barron; directors Christopher Columbus, Alfonso Cuaron, Mike Newell, and David Yates; creator and author J.K. Rowling; screenwriters Steve Kloves and Michael Goldenberg; production designer Stuart Craig; art director Neil Lamont and set decorator Stephenie McMillan, were honored for Outstanding Contribution to Cinematic Imagery.

Harry Potter series, Deathly Hallows: Part 2 win 2012 Art Directors Guild awards - SnitchSeeker.com

Old 02-07-2012, 08:28 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
One Direction

I'm so happy this movie won something, it's very deserving.

I'm sad it didn't got nominated for an Oscar. The cast is wonderful and it's the end of an epic series of movies with millions and millions of fans, so I think they at least deserved a nomination for Best Movie.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:35 AM
Moderator Manager

Yeah too bad about the Oscars but I'm happy for any achievement this movie is being recognized for.

ETA: Just in at the BAFTAs. Congratulations to HPDH2 for winning Special Visual Effects.

Last edited by L i N d $ @ y; 02-12-2012 at 12:21 PM
Old 02-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Fan Forum Star

DH2 WON THE BAFTA FOR BEST VISUAL EFFECTS!
Old 02-12-2012, 06:16 PM
Absolute Fan

Congrats to DH2!
Old 02-14-2012, 03:38 AM
Moderator Manager

So much HP actors at the BAFTAs. You can view pictures here on the SS link:

Harry Potter cast attends 2012 BAFTA Film awards, Deathly Hallows: Part 2 wins SFX - SnitchSeeker.com

Old 02-14-2012, 11:30 AM
Part-Time Fan

It was so heart breaking to see Snape rocking lily's dead body whilie crying. He loved her soo much. James did not deserve Lily
Old 02-15-2012, 02:22 AM
Moderator Manager

And here's the TLC link as well.

"Deathly Hallows: Part 2" Winner of Special Visual Effects at BAFTA Awards; Dan Radcliffe and Harry Potter Cast Attend - The Leaky Cauldron

Old 02-25-2012, 07:49 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
The eight Harry Potter films were set in a magical world, with a wide assortment of fantastical creatures (and fantastically adorned humans) who all offered intriguing challenges to the makeup team. But the biggest challenge they faced came right at the end (Spoiler Alert for the one person who hasn’t seen/read/lived the Harry Potter phenomenon) when the story flashes forward 19 years, presenting older versions of some of the most well-known characters in film history. “We had all sorts of goblins and weird-looking people, a real catalogue of makeup and makeup effects, but we always regarded that sequence as the one that would be the most taxing,” says Nick Dudman, the makeup effects designer who worked on all the Potter films. (Deathly Hallows Part 2 marks the first time the film has been nominated for Best Makeup.) “If you’re turning somebody into a goblin, it’s a fantasy character. If I say, ‘That’s a goblin,’ and you say it isn’t, well, that’s your opinion. If you say, ‘That doesn’t look like Dan Radcliffe,’ we’re in trouble.”
Oscars 2012: 'Harry Potter' makeup: How'd they do it? | Inside Movies | EW.com

Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top