Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2004, 08:48 AM
Fan Forum Star

Ah yes! Saucy-Cheeky-Harry! Gotta love him. Another sarcastic moment was on the train. When Ron tells Harry that Sirius is a raving psychotic murderer. And Harry replies "Thanks Ron."

I'm not sure how I'll feel about Moody-broody-Harry when OotP comes around.
I'm know Dan will be great and if his excellent progression as a actor is any indication, he'll probably capture it just right. But my problem was in the books I didn't really like Harry's behavior in the middle. In the end, however, I completely sympathized with him, but there were times when I just wanted to slap him.

That said, I did like how Alfonso used some of that angst in POA. They didn't over due it, instead, gave just a little taste of what's to come. I read somewhere that Alfonso had to tell Dan to tone down his Angry!Harry a bit because Dan had been a little too influenced by OotP.

Last edited by baileycat; 07-27-2004 at 08:53 AM
Old 07-27-2004, 09:09 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by baileycat
Ah yes! Saucy-Cheeky-Harry! Gotta love him. Another sarcastic moment was on the train. When Ron tells Harry that Sirius is a raving psychotic murderer. And Harry replies "Thanks Ron."
Yeah, that's a good one!

Quote:
I'm not sure how I'll feel about Moody-broody-Harry when OotP comes around.
I'm know Dan will be great and if his excellent progression as a actor is any indication, he'll probably capture it just right. But my problem was in the books I didn't really like Harry's behavior in the middle. In the end, however, I completely sympathized with him, but there were times when I just wanted to slap him.
I know you mean, I liked Harry in OotP though, in a way the fact that he was acting like an ass sometimes made him seem more real to me. He has his faults but that just makes him human. It's part of what makes him who is his, I guess. Besides, all 15 year olds act like idiots sometimes even if they're not going through what Harry's going through. Actually, all people act like idiots sometimes.

I'm looking forward to seeing Dan as Harry in OotP, it'll be a different kind of acting for him and I'm interested to see how he handles it (assuming Dan's in the 5th movie, of course).

Quote:
That said, I did like how Alfonso used some of that angst in POA. They didn't over due it, instead, gave just a little taste of what's to come. I read somewhere that Alfonso had to tell Dan to tone down his Angry!Harry a bit because Dan had been a little too influenced by OotP.
I agree, I liked some of the angst used in PoA, like you said it was a little taste.

Really? Dan played it too angry? That's pretty cool. I also like that Alfonso had to ask him to tone it down. Dan and Alfonso seemed to make a good team (Alfonso seemed to work well with everyone though - but then that's part of being a good director)
Old 07-27-2004, 09:37 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah, Alfonso and Dan really did seem to connect in this film. That's why I'm a little worried about GOF. With a new director, will he allow Dan and the others the freedom to explore their characters as much as they had with this film? I hope so.

And if Alfonso doesn't come back for OotP ( which I think he would be marvelous for) I know I'll be disappointed.

What about Goofy-Harry! Granted, POA didn't give us alot of it. But I thought it was a nice touch that Alfonso showed us that Harry can be funny sometimes. And I'm not just talking about the sarcastic side either. The one time that had me rolling was during the Whomping Willow attack scene and Hermione hand grabs Harry's shirt and yanks him up just after he got his glasses back on. Just the expression of "what the?" on his face was priceless. It was very cartoonish. Almost like a Road Runner routine. Hilarious.

Oh and (see I told you I could go on) when Hermione hits Harry#1 in the back of the head with the stone. Harry#2 says "Ow, that hurt" as he rubs his head at the memory of it.

And the extremely confused "This is not normal" line was really fabulous too.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:42 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by baileycat .

What about Goofy-Harry! Granted, POA didn't give us alot of it. But I thought it was a nice touch that Alfonso showed us that Harry can be funny sometimes. And I'm not just talking about the sacastic side either. The one time that had me rolling was during the Whomping Willow attack scene and Hermione hand grabs Harry's shirt and yanks him up just after he got his glasses back on. Just the expression of "what the?" on his face was priceless. It was very cartoonish. Almost like a Road Runner routine. Hilarious.
Yeah, that was great! That shows that Dan's getting good at the whole facial expression acting thing. It was a definite "What the...?" expression! Loved it!

Quote:
Oh and (see I told you I could go on) when Hermione hits Harry#1 in the back of the head with the stone. Harry#2 says "Ow, that hurt" as he rubs his head at the memory of it.
Yeah, I loved that bit! I'm laughing just reading it!

Quote:
And the extremely confused "This is not normal" line was really fabulous too.
Oh, yeah!
Old 07-28-2004, 12:36 AM
Addicted Fan

As I haven't been able to see the film for a 2nd time yet ( ) These lines are cracking me up for the second time. Dan really developed in this movie, I thought. He did a wonderful job with all the emotion in this film. He's growing up so fast...*wipes a tear* I really hope Alfonso comes back for OotP. He was so awesome with the actors and characters!
Old 07-28-2004, 05:29 AM
Master Fan

I've really enjoyed reading all these observations! It's so true - Dan has really refined his acting, and Alfonso's direction seems to have encouraged his optimum performance in PoA. You can see he's more confident and he brings that onto the screen, but then he also makes use of subtlety, and the often potent effect that holding back can have.

Quote:
Originally posted by Snow_White

One of my favorite Dan moments is right after he and Lupin practice with the boggarts and they are sitting and talking. When he's talking about what he was thinking about and he kind of turns his head and says "And Mum." It is so adorable the way he does that. He just looks so innocent and at peace with the way he says it. So cute.
Oh yes, I loved how serene he looked and sounded when he said that too! Then when he goes: "I don't even know if it's real. But it's all I've got", and he looks up, he looks so accomplished. But not in a cocky way.

I also love the exchange between Harry and Lupin on the bridge. His expressions, and subtle actions really showed his growth and maturity as an actor (as Trace pointed out). He kind of tugs on the hood of his jumper coyly, somewhere round the time when Lupin tells him he's said to have inherited James's penchant for mischief. I love that part! And the way he thoughtfully gazes out across the landscape below, blinking from time to time, and his smile brightening and fading as he listens to Lupin. Now would be a good point to mention - I love your av, Trace!

Quote:
Originally posted by Just Tracy

I also liked the bit when Ron and Hermione are arguing about Scabbers and Crookshanks - Harry's walking behind them and as they walk through the courtyard he passes two students, as he walks past them he gives them a smile like "Yep, they're arguing again". I can't remember if that's been mentioned yet.
Ooh, I never noticed that. Will have to watch for it next time!

i believe in miracles born from love in everyone
icon by *Evie
Old 07-28-2004, 08:25 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by *OvErPrOtEcTeD*

Oh yes, I loved how serene he looked and sounded when he said that too! Then when he goes: "I don't even know if it's real. But it's all I've got", and he looks up, he looks so accomplished. But not in a cocky way.

I also love the exchange between Harry and Lupin on the bridge. His expressions, and subtle actions really showed his growth and maturity as an actor (as Trace pointed out). He kind of tugs on the hood of his jumper coyly, somewhere round the time when Lupin tells him he's said to have inherited James's penchant for mischief. I love that part! And the way he thoughtfully gazes out across the landscape below, blinking from time to time, and his smile brightening and fading as he listens to Lupin. Now would be a good point to mention - I love your av, Trace!
I love both those moments you mentioned, Kat! The tug on the hood of his sweater is a really great touch, I can't actually think of many directors that would include something so irrelevant to the plot yet so fitting and in character! A great little touch which was acted perfectly by Dan.

My av's adorable, isn't it? It was made by Living Dead Girl! I was actually thinking of changing it to a Brady av the other day but I'm not ready to lose Harry just yet.

Quote:
Ooh, I never noticed that. Will have to watch for it next time!
You should definitely look out for it! It's another lovely touch - those little details are one of the things that I love about the movie. I noticed it the first time I saw the movie, then the second time I meant to look for it again but I forgot but the third time I saw it again. It's so cute.

Speaking about loving the movie, I read the review of it on Dark Horizons the other day - it's a good review (the reviewer has read the books so still has some complaints! Don't we all though?) and I love this part:

Quote:
Make no mistake about it, this film is superb - an instant classic. Much like "X2" or "The Empire Strikes Back", 'Azkaban' takes an already strong product, gives it a different slant and makes it even better. If the films stay at this quality we'll have a great franchise, if they continue to grow and improve - the sky's the limit.
That review's probably been doing the rounds for quite a while but I only found it the other day.

Part of me wishes that Alfonso was onboard for GoF (speaking of Alfie, where did that Alfie thread go? ) but I'm also excited about what Mike Newell is gonna give us.

EDIT: k, my post is gonna be like Tolstoy long now but I have to post this.

You remember the ACED mag that dr.com made for Dan? Well, he sent a very adorable thankyou letter to Jenna from dr.com. Here it is:

Quote:
Dear Jenna

Well, you've done it again - left me speechless with ACED. It is a fantastic magazine and I was completely knocked out by it and the time and effort you have put into it. I love all the reviews and the photos are excellent. By happy coincidence I had just bought the Modest Mouse album which I think is fantastic! I was also stunned to see the fan demographic and as always find it a little difficult to take in the spread of fans around the world when I am working at Leavesden. ACED is a beautifully constructed and imaginative magazine and everyone I have shown it to loves it. It made my 15th birthday very special and I can't wait for the next issue at Christmas. Thank you.

Thank you also, to everyone who contributed to Demelza House. This place is SO important to me and everyone who contributed makes a real difference to the lives of the children and their families who stay there. Thank you from the bottom of my heart .

My birthday was spent on set with my friends. This is the third birthday I have had at Leavesden and they are always fun filled days. A friend on set gave me a large water pistol and as it was a sunny day - chaos reigned at lunch time as I was responsible for soaking the stunt department and then ran for my life as you really don't want to mess with them - I am sure they will get their own back.

Once again Jenna, thank you - you are amazing!

All my love

DAN
Doesn't he just sound like a really nice person? Bless him.

Last edited by Just Tracy; 07-28-2004 at 09:13 AM
Old 07-28-2004, 10:48 AM
Fan Forum Star

Okay I swear I don't know any 15 year olds out there who are as thoughtful and as sweet as Daniel. Seriously! His parents really raised him up right. I think that is why I like and respect him so much. He's completely unhollywood as you can get and you can tell he just likes being a teenager and having fun. Sometimes, I worry if the pressure of celebrity is getting to him and then I read something like this thankyou letter and is relieved to see that he's adjusting just fine. He's really truly a mature and gracious human being and I'm very proud to be one of his fans.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:04 PM
Part-Time Fan

hey everyone! i am a dan fanatic! can i please be added to the list?? i would sooooo greatly appretiate it! thank god i'm 15, i'm not pervy or anything....it's totally normal to drool over him

VOTE SEAN BIGGERSTAFF!

Joryness!
Old 07-28-2004, 01:05 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
He's really truly a mature and gracious human being and I'm very proud to be one of his fans.
I completely agree! And that sounds like a potential future thread title right there!
Old 07-28-2004, 02:06 PM
Addicted Fan

Dan is so awesome! That thank-you is so sweet! I'm also, so proud, to be one of his many fans!
Old 07-28-2004, 03:29 PM
Loyal Fan

Hi all!

I'd just like to remind everyone (or inform you if you don't already know) that the Mod Application for the Harry Potter Board has been extended.
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry D
Hi everyone. We're extending the application deadline on this board to July 30 to see if we can get a larger pool of candidates to select from. Thank you.
It officially ends 11:59pm PST (or your your time zone, whichever is later)
July 30.

So to those of you who are interested to apply (but didn't send in your application because you thought the application period has elapsed), send in your applications to ffmodapps@kaxy.com right away!

Please send each email with a subject line of Board Applied For - Currently Displayed Name

And Don't forget to include:
  • 1. Your Currently Displayed Name.
  • 2. Your Age
  • 3. Your Gender (this way, if you get appointed, we can post our welcome thread for you properly, as many posting names are ambiguous, and it’s hard to tell if someone is male or female)
  • 4. If you are a current moderator here, please indicate the message board or boards that you moderate. If you were a former moderator here, please indicate the message board or boards that you used to moderate.
  • 5. Your AIM, ICQ, or MSN ID Number so one of us can talk to you one on one about your candidacy (AIM/AOL is preferred). Note: We will only talk to you one on one if we have questions about your application. Everyone is in different time zones, and some candidates may not be available to talk to us, and we may not be available to talk to them, so we don't intend to talk to everyone individually through one of the above chat programs.
  • 6. A link to your profile here at Fan Forum. (You can get this by clicking on the "Profile" icon on top of your username in your posts.) This will enable us to check your posting frequency on the board that you want to moderate.
  • 7. A brief paragraph describing why you want to be a moderator, and what you can bring to the board that you want to moderate.

If you have any questions, you could ask it at
a) the Moderator Application Process thread at the Q & A Board,
b) the Moderator Opening Announcement here at the Harry Potter Board,
or if you're shy ,
c) simply PM either Ben or Me (Sade).

I'd also like to say that it wouldn't really hurt to try.
And that only a handful of people would know that you did, anyway. (The 3 managers and Ben & me) so don't be shy. *wink*

Also, there really isn't any post count requirement nor minimum number of years you've been a member of FanForum (I myself was only "6 months old" when I applied).
What matters here is the "quality" of your posts, how well you deal with your fellow posters, your "overall impact" on the Board, how crazy you are and how well you rate in the "obsession meter" when it comes to Harry Potter... that kind of thing

But seriously, you should apply!

Best off luck to everyone, and continue posting like crazy to keep our board one of the most active ones in all of FanForum. (Go us!)

&
~ Sade
And somewhere... a man reunites w/ his bestfriend.

The Dog Star would forever shine in the night sky... and you will always be in our hearts.
Rest in peace, Messr. Padfoot. Have a safe journey home.

~ Sadé

Last edited by * Marauder's Child *; 07-28-2004 at 04:31 PM
Old 07-28-2004, 04:43 PM
Supreme Fan

Hey all It's been a bit since I've been to this thread - a little late, but I absolutely love the title Seriously, that's what i tell my friends when they say I'm weird for thinking Dan is cute...honestly...

Quote:
Okay I swear I don't know any 15 year olds out there who are as thoughtful and as sweet as Daniel. Seriously! His parents really raised him up right. I think that is why I like and respect him so much. He's completely unhollywood as you can get and you can tell he just likes being a teenager and having fun. Sometimes, I worry if the pressure of celebrity is getting to him and then I read something like this thankyou letter and is relieved to see that he's adjusting just fine. He's really truly a mature and gracious human being and I'm very proud to be one of his fans.
I think the exact same thing. I wonder how his head is doing with all the fame he has, but then you read a letter like that and it just shows how great Dan is.
I don't know if anyone watches Oprah (I normally don't) but I watched it one day when Daniel, Emma, and Rupert were going to be on before CoS came out. There was one girl who had made a video about how much she loved Dan and all of her Dan stuff and Harry Potter stuff she had and Dan was so great about it. Most celebs would be kinda freaked and not too friendly with someone like that, but he was so great. Did anyone else see that?
Old 07-28-2004, 08:48 PM
Dedicated Fan

Gah, Dan sounded so sincere and sweet and it makes you just love him so much more (if thats possible!)

Quote:
He's really truly a mature and gracious human being and I'm very proud to be one of his fans.
Definetely agree.

Well, I know I don't know you and you're probably not what you seem
Aw, but I'd sure like to find out
So why don't you climb down off that movie screen?

Dan Fan No. 95
Spike's Kitten No. 95
Old 07-28-2004, 11:19 PM
Loyal Fan

Dearest-Daniel...

I love this part of Daniel's Letter:
My birthday was spent on set with my friends. This is the third birthday I have had at Leavesden and they are always fun filled days. A friend on set gave me a large water pistol and as it was a sunny day - chaos reigned at lunch time as I was responsible for soaking the stunt department and then ran for my life as you really don't want to mess with them - I am sure they will get their own back
----
hehhee... It sound like Daniel, is having very Wet-Cool-Birthday-Party!! I would love to be there. I wonder who gave him that "large water pistol" mmmmh?.. *Emma!*

yes,..I agree GOD BLESS DANIEL. He is sweetest-handsome-one-of-kind!! I wish,..all of men or people around the world is like HIM, so we don't have to have War...but peace and happiest.

I am so proud..of one of his DanfanClan..

loveDaniel4ever!!
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top