Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2004, 11:48 PM
Master Fan

Yeah and since LotR didn't rate that well on the Monday night, it's no surprise that GG was the top rated WB show last week.

Mind you 7th Heaven will return to that position after posting a 6.1/9 last night - now that is a nice high figure

ETA: GG is usually the 2nd or 3rd ranked WB show at the moment - 7th Heaven is way ahead in first then it's usually a close battle (and swaps week to week) between GG and Smallville for the other top spots.

Twitter: nlm78
Old 11-17-2004, 02:32 AM
Loyal Fan

There is an article in my local newspaper today called "12 shows you should be watching" and Gilmore Girls is one of them.

Quote:
In its fifth season, this is not the show it used to be - Rory going off to college drastically changed the mom-and-daughter chemistry - but there is still plenty to like. The dialogue sparkles. The charm of Stars Hollow townsfolk is still apparent, and we're seeing Rory's grandparents in a new light following thier seperation. Rory has turned into the Lois Lane of the Yale campus newspaper. Lorelai has fallen at last for Luke(her parents think he's a lout) and the opening of the Dragonfly Inn has not been without problems. A nice mix of stories.
"Look for Rory's grandparents to focus on Rory meeting the right young man. They see Lorelai taking the blue-collar route with Luke, and they don't want that for Rory," said the show's creator, Amy Sherman-Palladino.
In case you're curious, the other 12 shows mentioned are Countdown with Keith Olbermann, CBS News Sunday Morning, Medical Investigation, The Charlie Rose Show, Reno 911!, Huff, House, Nick News with Linda Ellerbee, The Daily Show, The Soup, and $40 a Day.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:00 AM
Loyal Fan

Lauren attended the Lili Claire Foundation’s 7th Annual Benefit Gala, hosted by Matthew Perry:

"There is no beautifier of complexion, or form, or behaviour, like the wish to scatter joy and not pain around us."
-Emerson
Old 11-17-2004, 08:06 AM
Loyal Fan

You know, she's beautiful, as always, but I don't think our dear little Lauren is wearing a bra....That's what you get being raised by your father, I guess.

Cameron: "Men should grow up."
House: "Yeah, and dogs should stop licking themselves. It's not gonna happen."

Keeper of Luke Danes, and entitled to all things Dirty!
Old 11-17-2004, 01:11 PM
Total Fan

From the TV Guide Watercooler:

Tuesday Night by Dave Anderson

Gilmore Girls
Could someone please give Kelly Bishop an Emmy? The fact that she and the show itself consistently get shafted every year at Emmy time is unbelievable. Her portrayal of Emily Gilmore at least deserves a Best Supporting Actress nomination, if not a win. Kelly gave us her usual brilliance as Emily went on her first date since separating from her hubby. Her final scene where she went from being adorably happy and then suddenly crying was poignant — I only wish they would've given us a closer shot of her at the end. Meanwhile, it was nice to see David Sutcliffe back to stir things up.

My proudest achievement when it comes to this show is that I got my mother (Joan) hooked on it a few seasons ago. I told her I just knew she'd love it because of the Kelly Bishop character. She didn't even know The WB existed. Now she refers to the show as "my Gilmore Girls" as in "I'm so excited to see my Gilmore Girls tonight."
Old 11-17-2004, 08:00 PM
Master Fan

According to Zap2it.com GG finished 4th but I'm going by mediaweek.com where GG came 3rd (total viewers) in its timeslot last night *woohoo*

Over at the WB, the rejuvenated Gilmore Girls rolls on, with a 5.7/ 8 in the overnights (#3t: 5.7/ 8), 5.94 million viewers (#4), and a 2.7/ 7 among adults 18-49 (#4). Compared to the year-ago telecast (5.2/ 7; Viewers: 5.31 million; A18-49: 2.2/ 6) that was an increase of 10 percent in the overnights, 630,000 viewers and 23 percent among adults 18-49. Quite an interesting ending last night, don't you think?

This is just a carry-on to what Jet posted.

Ratings so far this season:

Ep 1 - Gilmore Girls (#3: 5.7/ 8; A18-49: #4, 2.5/ 8 - #4 Viewers 6.20m)
Ep 2 - Gilmore Girls (#3: 5.9/ 9; A18-49: #4, 2.7/8)
Ep 3 - Gilmore Girls (#3: 6.0/ 9; A18-49: #3, 2.5/ 7)
Ep 4 - Gilmore Girls (#4: 5.3/ 8; A18-49: #4, 2.6/ 7)
Ep 5 - Gilmore Girls (#5: 5.2/ 7; A18-49: #5, 2.4/ 7)
Ep 6 - Gilmore Girls (#5: 5.2/ 7; A18-49: #5, 2.5/ 7)
Ep 7 - Gilmore Girls (#5: 5.8/ 8; A18-49
Ep 8 - Gilmore Girls (#4: 5.6/ 7; A18-49: #5, 2.8/ 7)
Ep 9 - Gilmore Girls (#3: 5.7/ 8; A18-49: #4, 2.7/ 7)

ETA: Bold is highest rating episode (overall) while Italics is highest rating 18-49 audience this season

Old 11-17-2004, 08:56 PM
Loyal Fan

I wonder what all those ratings numbers mean in terms of millions of viewers? Does anyone know?

Hannah

LUKE: You're an amazing woman.
LORELAI: Thank you for noticing.

Fanfiction Entries
Old 11-17-2004, 09:27 PM
Master Fan

I couldn't be bothered adding all those week to week <g>

But basically last night's ep got 5.94 million viewers

Old 11-17-2004, 09:44 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by gossipcom
But basically last night's ep got 5.94 million viewers
Not too shabby, not too shabby. Being such a loyal TV viewer, either I watch a show or I don't. I wonder where all this flux comes from, from episode to episode, and even from season to season. Anyone?
Old 11-17-2004, 09:49 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by ~~ CherylS ~~
Could someone please give Kelly Bishop an Emmy? The fact that she and the show itself consistently get shafted every year at Emmy time is unbelievable. Her portrayal of Emily Gilmore at least deserves a Best Supporting Actress nomination, if not a win.
I'm totally agreed about nominating Kelly Bishop for an Emmy. Me neither I've never understood why GG wasn't nominated - at least I think so - for Emmy or other Award. Does someone know how shows are choose for Emmy Award ? I'm not American, so I don't know much about all awards.

Thank you.
Little “O” as in obtuse / Double “Z” as in ZZ top...
- Anthony DiNozzo Jr
Old 11-17-2004, 09:51 PM
Master Fan

Emmy voters use to be able to nominate 5 in each category, but since in the last few years only a handful of shows dominated the awards, they changed the rule this year.

Instead Emmy voters are now allowed to nominate 10 and basically the ones who gain the 5 highest get nom'd.

That's why this year you had shows like Joan or Arcadia and Arrested Development doing so well.

Unfortunately for GG, Desperate Housewives has decided to enter itself into comedy at the Golden Globes with the possibility of doing the same at the SAGs and Emmys, which means it will have a very hard time getting a nomination now *grrr*

The only thing that works in GG's favour is there will be no Frasier, Friends, Sex and the City eligible at next year's Emmys (and the following year, if the show goes the extra year, no Everybody Loves Raymond).

Old 11-17-2004, 10:05 PM
Extreme Fan

Thanks Nadine.

But, who are Emmy voters ? Are they people of the industry like producers or directors or authors or if they are somebody else ?

And in my country, actors of comedy shows receive less nominations for best actor or supporting actor than drama shows, is it the same in USA ?

About Joan of Arcadia, I'm pleased to know that is doing well in TV awards because I like this show as much as GG.
- Anthony DiNozzo Jr
Old 11-17-2004, 10:12 PM
Master Fan

It's the Academy of Television Arts and Science (ATAS) that votes. That explains it all in there (under rules and procedures).

There's usually only 5 nominated unless there's a tie (in which case they'll put 6 nominees) in each category.

There is the rare case though when actors want to be submitted in one category, and publicists put them in another, or they just completely forget to submit them (aka Matthew Perry a few years back).

Old 11-17-2004, 10:19 PM
Extreme Fan

Thanks again Nadine for the information.
- Anthony DiNozzo Jr
Old 11-17-2004, 11:29 PM
Master Fan

I wish Gilmore Girls wasn't such a "half and half" show. I would really love to see it nominated as a drama and not as a comedy. I mean I know it's been funny, but I think this season has definately been more drama filled. And it deserves an Emmy (or any award for that matter) because of that. I mean the emotion we have seen from all the characters this year has been great. And I can only imagine the fight that Luke and Lorelai will have. I think that would put it over the top. I just wish there was a way to make a change..make the Academy realize what a wonderful show Gilmore Girls is. It really makes me sad when the people who should be recognized aren't. And Lauren Graham definitely deserves to be recognized. Thank goodness for the PCA. They know good acting when they see it.