Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 09-26-2005, 07:40 AM
New Fan

Episode Discussion: "Nobody's Baby" 12.2 {September 29, 2005}

Hello, everyone!

The NBC website has posted the official description for the next episode. I think that either this or the next episode will be Susan's last, so Sherry Stringfield fans may want to make an extra effort to tune in.

EPISODE DESCRIPTION

A BABY'S LIFE IS IN DANGER WHEN A SURROGATE MOTHER MAKES A DRAMATIC DECISION - Ray (Shane West) attends to a surrogate mother who goes into labor prematurely after being involved in a car accident. An emotional decision must be made as a baby's life hangs in the balance. Pratt (Mekhi Phifer) encounters his estranged father and is forced to deal with his feelings from the past. Sam (Linda Cardellini) and Kovac (Goran Visnjic) loom on the edge of a break-up. Also starring, Maura Tierney, Parminder Nagra, Danny Glover and Scott Grimes.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:25 AM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Off Topic

I don't watch on a regular basis but this ep sounds good.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:46 PM
Total Fan

Hmmm....another tough delivery in the ER. Seems to be a pattern developing!
Old 09-29-2005, 05:00 AM
Ultimate Fan

Can't wait to see this one. Tough choice..you are a surrogate and you have to decide...etc..
Old 09-29-2005, 06:53 PM
Extreme Fan

That opening scene was so hilarious! LOL

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:31 PM
Total Fan

Very, very good episode. I was highly impressed with everyone in it!

Thoughts:

1. The women with the shoe problem: The opening scene was hilarious, and also the look on that woman's face when Neela walked in to examine her ankle... I also liked her comment about being a customer lol.

2. Ray: Last season, I wasn't very impressed with either Shane West or Ray Barnett, but he definitely redeemed himself to me tonight. He was wonderful with the baby, from the way he tried to council the surrogate mother to the way he stuck around at the end. Ray has come a long way, and he was fantastic tonight.

3. Pratt's family: It was good of Greg to show up at Chaz's swim meet, and I thought he handled himself with class. Well-done.

4. Luka: I was a bit confused at first, because I thought Luka and Sam had broke up last episode. Either way, it definitely appears to be over now. He seems to be coming into his own in the ER, with the way he handled Abby's patient (Liam) and with the way he directed things. I also loved the conversation he and Abby had about communication.

Highlights:

1. Ray and the baby. Well-done.
2. The women at the beginning on the El.
3. Luka and Abby's conversation about why they broke up.

Lowlights:
Couldn't find any. Except maybe the appearance of the new Alex for ten seconds.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:19 PM
Supreme Fan

I loved this episode. I thought it was very well written, and LI did a fantastic job of directing, too. Loved the Ray storyline. After the bum deal he got in the premiere last week, I was pleased to see them give him a chance to really show he's got the chops to be a good doctor. Yeah, he still has a lot to learn, but they all do. And he has definitely come a long way. It was nice to see them keep in line with the soft spot he seems to have for kids. I could easily see him as a Pedes resident. I also liked that they allowed him to get attached to a case. I think that was a lot of what was missing last season. But I also think that there are a lot of issues in his past with trust and emotional attachments and getting too close, and that he maybe uses emotional distance as a defense mechanism to keep from being hurt as he maybe was by others in the past. It'll be interesting to see it explored, so I really hope they keep up with this and don't fumble.

Loved the Pratt storyline, which is rare for me, because I have never liked the character except for when he was sticking it to Morris. But the writing is getting stronger for him and I'm really liking what they're doing so far. I'm interested to see how it plays out.

And Morris giving Neela a hard time with the charting. Susan did say last season that Morris isn't the sharpest shovel in the shed, but he's a paperwork hound, so a nice bit of continuity there. I also like to think that maybe this is Morris bucking up to the challenge and trying to really do better at his job instead of shirking responsibility and proving everyone who doesn't expect much of him right, as he told Ray in the finale last season. I'm interested to see where they take him as well.

Felt bad for Luka at the end, and I actually liked his scene with Abby. I'm still not a 'shipper, but I did think the scene was well played. And I loved the part with Abby & Neela and the *ahem* 'witches" on the El. Great stuff.

A great episode, I think. And next week's looks good too.

~Ash

Proud Member of SLA
Watch HawthoRNe on TNT.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:20 PM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Off Topic

Wow, I rarely watch and tonight's episode was goooood. So sad for the baby though.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:06 PM
Master Fan

This episode was so good. I'm glad that TPTB are giving compelling storylines to Ray; he deserves them, and the acting was well executed tonight on Shane's part. It was really well done.

Maybe all his critics/haters will shut up.

Anyway... loved Pratt's scenes. He was really effective in them.

I really try to like Sam, but the way she acts sometimes, all I can think about is I wanna her. She can be such a "insert unmentionable word here" sometimes.

Love Neela, most of the time I like Abby; when she's not being shoved down my throat.

Aww, and love Luka. Depressing end.

Highs:

*Ray and the baby. I mean come on.
*Abby and Luka scene. I liked his gradual smile at the end; that sold their whole connection with me. Still not a shipper but, we'll see.
*Morris making fun of Ray, Neela and Abby. Actually less of him making fun of them and more of the miniscule moment of those three talking in the beginning, before the camera's panned away.

Lows:

*Sam being a jerk.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:09 PM
Part-Time Fan

I loved this episode. The opening scene with Abby telling the lady off had the best quote of the night in my opinion. I wasn't all that happy with last week's episode, but this one certainly made up for it. I felt so bad for the baby, but I loved how Ray sat with him. That was so sad. Definitely a great episode. No sign of Susan tonight. I'm so sad to see her go. Weaver will be the only one left other than a nurse or two from the original cast. . I have a full recap and review of tonight's episode up on my review site.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:20 PM
Total Fan

Without going into detail, or actually sharing any really personal info, I loved Pratt's storyline this ep. I loved Pete/Sam, who I get the feeling his direction was, ACT LIKE MEHKI. It was cute. Danny Glover was awesome, and I get the sinking suspicion they will become the best of friends, and one of them will die. I have past proof! That was really hard to watch, and I liked the end, when he walked away. I liked that he went. The thing from the daughter was a bit much, but it served it's purpose to drive it all home.

I have no comment on the baby. I thought that was unnecessary.

Liam was scary. Every mother's nightmare.

WTF????? Sam and Luka? Just..out of the blue, oh yeah, I'm getting an apartment? AWAY from you? Did they OFFICALLY break up? Was I just too busy swooning over Goran? I hated the end, I felt SO bad for Luka. This is the same guy who looked SO happy and yet so sad talking about his son, and the sadness in his eyes when he was like, Hey Alex! We're still going camping for your birthday! This..character would make an amazing father. I felt sad.

Wrap up-
*Die Morris die. You ruined it. 'Must be nice working bankers hours.'

*Neela and Abby the new Susan and Carol? We'll see. I have a hard time warming up to them, but you know, Abby was never one of my favorite characters. I only have one left, and clearly, he's going to flip out next week. Reasons to watch the show are dwindling.

* Ray. Ray is a boy who knows nothing. And I was between wanting to hit him and wanting to hug him. I don't know man...but that's a baby anvil for the wrong person! Unless I missed something. Which, I wouldn't be surprised. But yes. You know....

Obviously I will be alone when I say, I wasn't too fond of the ep. I liked some of the stuff they covered, and how things were treated. That was about it. Danny Glover was awesome..just for the dynamic, nothing really stood out about his character. I mean, his eyes, when he was pleading with Pratt was something. You know, this show gets really amazing actors, and don't really know what to do with them. WOW I sound bitter. But yes. I'm meh.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:40 AM
Master Fan

Actually Laura Innes (Kerry) didn't join ER until season 2. So that means there's no one left from the original cast. This show can now be offically called ER- The Next Generation in my opinion.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:10 AM
Part-Time Fan

This episode made me think I was watching the ER of old. It was sad, funny, fast-paced and all of the cast had something to do. LOVED IT!

Sam can talk a long walk out of the ambulance doors and never return. I am fed up with her whiny, cranky b*tchface.

Abby and Neela were pure comedy gold. "You may have a broken ankle and you're a b*tch." BWAH! I heart Maura Tierney and Abby.

And of course the pure Luby in me was all atwitter over the Luka and Abby scene. Maura and Goran have the best chemistry of any couple ever on that show. I'm glad that TPTB are reminding the audience that Luka/Abby were once a couple. Makes me look forward to upcoming episodes.

I actually liked Pratt tonight and lord help me Ray too.

Overall this episode gets a big old 10 from me. And I see that Laura Innes directed this ep. She should direct all the ER eps from now on.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:59 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Jas
Obviously I will be alone when I say, I wasn't too fond of the ep. I liked some of the stuff they covered, and how things were treated. That was about it. Danny Glover was awesome..just for the dynamic, nothing really stood out about his character. I mean, his eyes, when he was pleading with Pratt was something. You know, this show gets really amazing actors, and don't really know what to do with them. WOW I sound bitter. But yes. I'm meh.
No, you are not alone!

This episode could have rocked, but once it again it reverted into an Abby is ER deal, with the other characters having to split up the remaining time.

Danny Glover was barely shown in this episode. Even Ray's storyline got less attention than Abby and the vegetarian kid, and Abby and the saleswoman, and Abby and Luka, and Abby and Jake's postcard.

This show is quickly going from a character ensemble, to ER led by Maura Tierney. If this is what the writers want then fine. Just spin Abby off into a different show, and let ER go off the air with some dignity and a return to the quality that characterized the early seasons.

But if they insist on shoving Abby/Tierney down our throats as the focal character, then this show will be off the air in 2 seasons and its epitaph will be that it started out great and ended with a whimper.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:23 AM
Master Fan

Considering the ratings have gone waaaaayyyyyy down the last couple of years ER should have ended sooner rather than later. Like in season 12 instead of season 14 now. But that's JMHO.