Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2020, 04:13 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Yes we will
Old 10-31-2020, 04:18 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlavin95 (View Post)
Yes we will
Exicitng could be good
Old 10-31-2020, 07:40 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Falls (View Post)
Still would be more popular the other way . But we will see if we like him
If they cast the right actor, he could definitely be iconic.
Old 11-01-2020, 02:48 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken crown (View Post)
If they cast the right actor, he could definitely be iconic.
True let's hope the actor us handsome
Old 11-08-2020, 12:11 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Exicitng could be good
It definitely could be
Old 11-08-2020, 03:36 AM
Moderator Support Team

I will watch it
Old 11-09-2020, 06:32 PM
Moderator Support Team

I wasn't even going to mention this, but I just happened to come across TVLine's Renewal Scorecard and they had ND as "could go either way" for Season 3.

I'm generally confused because they are developing a spin-off for the show and that would certain imply they were invested in the long-term future of the mother show. I know this list was put together before the spin-off news was announced, but I have no idea why they would even think that period. Plus, it's WAY TOO EARLY?! I mean...nothing has even aired yet.

I would be 10000% shocked if ND didn't at least get two more seasons beyond Season 2. I fully expect the CW to start making pick-ups for next season in early January. Last year, they were trying to prepare for a possible writers strike. This year because of the virus, they will want to keep shows in production longer and/or have a plan for production to return in the summer as smoothly as possible.

I only mentioned this here because I didn't want anyone freaking out if they came across that post on the website.

REMEMBER:
  1. The CW RARELY cancels any of their dramas after Season 2. In the last decade, there have only been two: Life Unexpected and The Carrie Diaries. Both of these shows were mid-season replacements. LUX was under old president Dawn Ostroff and The Carrie Diaries was shot in NYC and was very expensive to make (like Katy Keene). The CW will either cancel you after Season 1 or you tend to go at least 4 or 5 seasons and get to end the show. Even Deadline referred to the show as The CW's "hit series" (although your milage may vary on that...I think it's getting more critical respect...but still it's got a long way for fandom engagement). Plus on The CW, if you get a Season 3...you almost ALWAYS get a Season 4 too.
  2. The CW owns the in-season stacking rights to ND. That means that they own the rights to the entire current season. Anyone can watch FOR FREE on their website. Remember how hard it used to be to catch up with shows in the middle of the seasons? Well...The CW owns those rights. And they want to keep them.
  3. Linear ratings on the CW don't really matter anymore. It's all about digital and social engagement. While I do think the show needs more digital buzz and a bigger fandom, ND (and Batwoman) had a 30% bump on the CW website last year. That's huge. Plus, because I think the show (and much of The CW's slate) will be renewed before the seasons even start, they definitely won't matter.
  4. The show is a CBS Studios production. The CW has to keep a certain amount of shows from The WB and CBS to balance the offerings on the network. It's been hard for the CW to really keep much from CBS.
  5. They even renewed Dynasty and In the Dark. Why would they cancel ND?! Could ND eventually move off the fall schedule and become a "floater" show? Maybe. But I would be super shocked if it was going anywhere.
  6. THE SPIN-OFF. This should be the biggest indication that the network is invested in the show and developing a "Drewverse". They're still casting for the Tom Swift character and he'll first appear in a ND drew episode. I'm guessing that episode won't air until the second half of the season...which means that episode probably won't air until late spring. They're also developing a separate pilot which wouldn't even film until early to late spring. If they're using the main show to launch a new character's show, doesn't that assure it will be around for a while? Even if the spin-off doesn't get picked up after all? Although if they cast well, it will definitely get picked up IMHO>

Besides, Season 2 hasn't even aired yet, so IDK why TVLine is making this "designation". It's really weird (they've done really weird stuff before though too!) . I just want to know their thought process. Even though this list was made earlier in October, the talk of the spin-off should have erased any doubt on a Season 3 renewal (which I heard a while ago was unofficially given, but we'll see).

But like I said...I just wanted to discuss it here in case anyone saw it and was confused/upset.

Maybe Season 2 will be so awful, I'll be rooting for cancellation. J/K...maybe.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:38 PM
Moderator Support Team

Posting this separately:

And here's the trailer for Hulu's Hardy Boys series (not related to this show in any way). It actually looks pretty good! I'm almost getting a Stranger Things vibe (although there's no supernatural stuff on the show. It's a straight mystery).

The age gap between the brothers is weird. Frank is supposed to be 16 and Joe is like 11 or 12?
Old 11-09-2020, 08:35 PM
Elite Fan

Huh I hadn't seen that article about cancellation but thanks for breaking it down like that! The business side of TV is so interesting! I think the spin off definitely implies that they want it to have a few more seasons.

Quote:
The show is a CBS Studios production. The CW has to keep a certain amount of shows from The WB and CBS to balance the offerings on the network. It's been hard for the CW to really keep much from CBS.
Huh this is interesting! I didn't know this.

I agree it seems like a weird time to write that article....they don't really explain anything and they have some stuff on there that hasn't even premiered yet.

Oh the Hardy Boys show looks good! Maybe I'll finally use my Hulu free trial to watch it 11 and 16 is kind of a weird age gap. When I was 16 I didn't want anything to do with anyone younger than me I think they're closer in age in the books.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:53 PM
Moderator Support Team

Well, TVLine is only making projection/predictions (based on what...I'm not sure), but I'm surprised they would miss the mark that much on The CW shows in general. All I can say is

I have Hulu too and I mostly just watch older shows, but I do watch The Handmaid's Tale and I started watching The Great (which I'll finish after I finish Yellowstone). BTW, if you Amazon Prime, you should watch Upload. OMG. Such a great show AND a great main ship!

The Hardy Boys show looks pretty good, but yeah...the age difference is weird. Normally, Frank and Joe are like a year or so apart.
Old 11-10-2020, 01:43 AM
Moderator Support Team

Wait there is already a hardy boys show?
Old 11-10-2020, 07:43 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Wait there is already a hardy boys show?
It's a Canadian import picked up by Hulu. Frank is 16 and Joe is like 11 or 12. It's kind of weird they made Joe that young because I thought they were only supposed to be a year apart.

BTW, I read that CBS TV Studios owns the rights to the Nancy Drew novels and this show is actually the THIRD attempt in the last decade?! The other two were NBC and CBS (which would have been about a 30 something year old Nancy Drew played by Sarah Shahi from Person of Interest) pilots that were never picked up. I thought that was REALLY interesting.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:05 PM
Elite Fan

Oh I didn't know that but that's cool! A show around thirty year old Nancy actually sounds interesting.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:08 PM
Moderator Support Team

Yeah, I remember it was going to be called "Drew" and I think she was a PI.
Old 11-13-2020, 05:20 PM
Moderator Support Team

Putting this under a cut because it's slightly spoilerish for Season 2. I'm only bringing this over here because we literally have nothing else to talk about.

Spoiler: