Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2020, 01:11 PM
Fan Forum Star

The Crown 4x03 Episode Discussion

Season 4 Episode 3 "Fairytale"

After Charles proposes, Diana moves into Buckingham Palace and finds her life filled with princess training, loneliness and Camilla Parker Bowles.

Previous episode | Next episode

Last edited by JoJoF92; 11-25-2020 at 03:08 AM
Old 11-15-2020, 09:02 PM
Moderator Manager

This is another good ep. I call this the "Diana" ep because it featured most of her.

Diana is accepted into the family and is taught basic protocols by her grandma. That scene when she entered and had to curtsy to the royal family (in order of importance) was sooooo well done. I felt the tension especially with Margaret because Diana interrupted her talking.

This was also the ep that Charles & Diana announced their engagement and also the start of their troubles. I don't know if the Camilla & Diana meet up is real or added for drama but I hate that it was only her who bothered talking to Diana while Charles was away. None of the other royal family bothered to hang out with her. They only allowed Diana to be a part of Charles' life because she was less of a drama than Camilla (who's married).

Favorite scene is towards the end with QE & Charles, again QE giving him a speech about how duty is above everything else. Charles crying goes to show that he did in fact agree to the marriage because it is his duty and will at least try to embrace the notion that maybe they can fall in love down the road. But it's also a sign that it's gonna be a failure.

I also like how the show tackled Diana's bulimia. I remember she talked about this later on in her life. Their relationship was really fast and pre-determined, mostly by the royal family, to keep things 'in check'. We saw this with Margaret too in the past seasons and how the family basically dictates who she should be with. Unfortunately, when you are part of the royal family, your personal life is the family's business. More so if you are next in line.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 11-16-2020, 12:51 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yes I agree it was a really good episode.

It clearly shows the relationship as doomed from the beginning. The family dictating the lives of these two, but at the same time giving them no support for such a difficult situation.

The conversation with Camilla really shows how well Camilla knows and understands the needs of Charles, and Diana really doesn't know him at all.

It was heartbreaking to see Charles' tears and unhappiness, but worse was his mother's reaction which was basically to get on with it, because he has a duty to the throne.
Old 11-16-2020, 02:08 AM
Moderator Manager

I was hoping Anne would be better but alas, she's just like the rest too.

That was actually a really good scene. I don't know if it comes off as Camilla bragging to Diana or it also comes off as Camilla just genuinely happy to talk to Diana about Charles (and happy for them). She also seems to know the family really well.

Also what do you all think of that scene where Charles tells Diana he met up with Camilla to tell her it's over? I don't believe him.

That QE & Charles scene was so reminiscent of that scene last season where she was also talking about duty to Charles. I think it was also because of his personal life that time (with Camilla)?

Old 11-16-2020, 04:09 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I do honestly think that Charles did try to make a go of his marriage and cut ties with Camilla. I do think that consciously or unconsciously he was unable to avoid comparing the two of them, though. He was not prepared for someone who needed validation and love as much as Diana.
Old 11-16-2020, 10:20 AM
Fan Forum Star

the way I have no tolerance for Charles anymore.. adultery is something I could never turn a blind eye to, it's wrong, there is no excuse for it. well, maybe in very special circumstances but not here. if you start courting some girl then how about you don't go back to your old lover and make up your damn mind. he could've chosen someone who was more like Camilla, he didn't have to go with someone like Diana if he wasn't so spineless but he just sulked and went with it.
I may be biased because I always loved Diana but she's really done nothing wrong other than believed an a-hole but who says no to a prince honestly..

Old 11-16-2020, 12:43 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I really don't think it is as one-sided as that, and they do show that in future episodes.

I don't really think we can appreciate the massive pressure he was under, to not only find someone, but to find a girl with no past. Plus it's not unreasonable in an arranged marriage to hope that it might work out as it has in Royal marriages in the past.

As for adultery, that's kind of your only option if you're in a marriage where no one will allow you to divorce, or even separate, and you are deeply unhappy. I'm not saying it's a good thing, but it is understandable knowing what we know about them now. They are fallible real people, who both made huge mistakes.
Old 11-16-2020, 02:23 PM
Fan Forum Star

sure, it wasn't one-sided but Diana wanted to make it work and Charles didn't. so it's not really equal for me, he did more wrongs than her.

I understand how deeply unhappy he was but that is no excuse to make your wife's life miserable. you can still be kind especially if you're seeing the love of your life constantly. he didn't actually have that much to complain for

Old 11-16-2020, 08:20 PM
Moderator Manager

I do think Camilla is encouraging it too. It goes both ways. Charles is still clinging on to Camilla and she lets him because she knows the power she has over Charles. As a married man, Charles shouldn't even be letting a small part of Camilla into his life especially since Diana knows about them. And yet he still talks to her and she lets him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meliana (View Post)
I really don't think it is as one-sided as that, and they do show that in future episodes.
Yep, I saw that ep already and I'm surprised actually.

Old 11-17-2020, 02:55 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm not surprised you're surprised, as the press were very willing to vilify Charles and ignore what Diana did. But in real life it's far more complex than that.
Old 11-19-2020, 04:25 AM
Fan Forum Star

I loved this episode too!

the proposal was kinda sad but I liked the phone call scene where all the ladies were curious to find out more about the proposal
did you all catch the mouse in the scene with Queen mom?

Quote:
Diana is accepted into the family and is taught basic protocols by her grandma. That scene when she entered and had to curtsy to the royal family (in order of importance) was sooooo well done. I felt the tension especially with Margaret because Diana interrupted her talking.
yes brilliant scene, Helena captured Margaret so well in that shot too.... she's not one to be ignored and overlooked
but it also showcased how naive Diana is stepping into this world.. perhaps she has a more 'princess fairytale' look at things before she got engaged and not a very realistic one

Quote:
This was also the ep that Charles & Diana announced their engagement and also the start of their troubles. I don't know if the Camilla & Diana meet up is real or added for drama but I hate that it was only her who bothered talking to Diana while Charles was away. None of the other royal family bothered to hang out with her. They only allowed Diana to be a part of Charles' life because she was less of a drama than Camilla (who's married).
yeah for some reason I had hopes that Anne perhaps seeked contact with her but nothing

Quote:
Favorite scene is towards the end with QE & Charles, again QE giving him a speech about how duty is above everything else. Charles crying goes to show that he did in fact agree to the marriage because it is his duty and will at least try to embrace the notion that maybe they can fall in love down the road. But it's also a sign that it's gonna be a failure.
I loved that scene but like you said, knowing where it goes you know it's gonna be a failure
I must admit, it was weird that Charles didn't contact Diana at all either during his abscence..

Quote:
Also what do you all think of that scene where Charles tells Diana he met up with Camilla to tell her it's over? I don't believe him.
I didn't believe that, I mean come on, give a bracelet with your nicknames? That's a love gift, not a parting gift..

I do think at the early stage of this relationship I do fault Charles more than Diana, I think at this point Diana felt she could have a loving relationship with a prince, at least at the time she accepted his proposal... I think she doubted it right before her marriage and after meeting Camilla and knowing about the bracelet that she had competition and she wasn't sure if she could match that (in charles' eyes!)

Karen | Icon: shinebrighterxx] ღ [/SIZE]
Old 11-19-2020, 09:03 PM
Moderator Manager

I actually thought the mouse was a cockroach. Oh yeah the proposal was anti-climactic. I can't believe Charles proposed in the nursery.

I feel like Diana in that moment. Heck she even has to bow to Charles. I do think she did have a fairy tale like kind of view when she met Charles and it really wasn't until she was with them that she realized everything isn't a fairytale.

I read somewhere that the Camilla & Diana scene was added and didn't happen irl. Which is good but also terrible because that would mean Diana was stuck inside for 2 weeks?

For me that bracelet is very telling. It's a sign that Diana should've been more cautious and not hopeful. Why the heck was Charles giving a bracelet to Camilla and not to her? They were engaged for crying out loud. Damn, I was so worried for QE & Philip in the first 2 seasons but they're nothing compared to these two.

Old 11-20-2020, 02:19 AM
Fan Forum Hero

The Diana and Camilla scene illustrates the difference between the two of them very well. It makes sense to add it.

She was too young and naive perhaps to know what she was getting into.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:30 PM
Moderator Manager

They both were. Is there an age limit for royals to get married? I have no idea. I feel like they usually marry really young so they can have sons/children early.

Old 11-21-2020, 04:09 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Charles wasn't young though. No there's no age limit, but the pressure was on, as he had to have legitimate heirs.