Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Master Fan

Formula One #31: Possibly The Strangest Season Ever... We Love It

Welcome to The Formula One Thread
On this thread we discuss the wonderful sport of F1. We post up to date news and the general info about the sport. We also talk about the drivers and the teams and what we like or dislike about them.

2009 Driver Line-Up
Vodafone McLaren Mercedes
Lewis Hamilton
Heikki Kovalainen

ING Renault F1
Fernarndo Alonso
Nelson Piquet

Scuderia Ferrari
Kimi Raikkonen
Felipe Massa

Brawn GP
Jenson Button
Rubens Barrichello

BMW Sauber F1
Nick Heidfeld
Robert Kubica

Panasonic Toyota Racing
Jarno Trulli
Tim Glock

Red Bull Racing
Sebastian Vettel
Mark Webber

AT&T Williams F1
Nico Rosberg
Kazuki Nakajima

Scuderia Torro Rosso
Sebastien Buemi
Sebastien Bourdais

Force India F1
Adrian Sutil
Giancarlo Fisichella

2009 F1 CALENDAR
29 Mar. Australia, Melbourne

5 Apr. Malaysia, Sepang

19 Apr. China, Shanghai

26 Apr. Bahrain, Sakhir

10 May. Spain, Barcelona

24 May. Monaco, Monte Carlo

7 Jun. Turkey, Istanbul park

21 Jul. Great Britain, Silverstone circuit

12 Jul. Germany, Hockenheim

26 Jul. Hungary, Hungaroring

23 Aug. Europe, Valencia Street Circuit

30 Aug. Belgium, Spa Francorchamps

13 Sep. Italy, Monza

27 Sep. Singapore, Singapore

4 Oct. Japan, Fuji

18 Oct. Brazil, Sao Paulo

1 Nov. Yas Island, Abu Dhabi

Previous Threads:
Formula One is GO GO GO
Formula One #2 - To Finish First, First You Must Finish
Formula One #3 - Can Anyone Truely beat Michael Schumacher?
Formula One #4 - The Iceman Cometh
Formula One #5 - IF is F1 backwards
Formula One #6 - This Season Will Ferrari still be the team to beat?
Formula One #7 - Now it's unpredictable!
Formula One #8: It's no longer the Ferrari show!
Formula One #9 The f2003 GA... as sexy as an F1 car's gonna be
Formula One #10 ~ Kimi a world champion in the making
Formula One #11 ~ With every race Alonso's star is getting brighter
Formula One #12 ~ Watch Out When Juan is About!
Formula One #13 ~ We are Running Out of Races and the Championship is wide open!
Formula One #14 ~ It's Ferrari vs Everyone Else in the Tyre War of 2003
Formula One #15 ~ It Ain't Over Until It's Over
Formula One #16 - Michael still thinks that JV is a threat
Formula One #17 - Bring on more seasons like the one we've just had
Formula One #18 - A New Year Brings a New Season
Formula One #19 ~ A new season brings new rivalries
Formula One #20 ~ The cars just keep getting faster and faster!!!
Formula One #21 ~ Schumi is showing why he is a six times world champion!
Formula One #22 - Speed and Dangerous Situations
Formula One #23 - Still waiting for a McLaren win this season
Formula One #24 ~ The Year of the Renault Boys
Formula One #25 - apparently no thread title
Formula One #26: A New Era Has Begun!
Formula One #27: We demand more rain-hit races
Formula One #28: It was the year of the Iceman...congrats, Kimi!
Formula One Thread #29: Good drivers + good cars - TC = Unpredictable season!
F1 thread #30: Who will win championship this year? Lewis did

Last edited by goodnightboy; 04-09-2009 at 06:48 AM
Old 04-08-2009, 07:27 PM
Master Fan

OK guys I don't know how David managed to get the pictures for the race banners - I tried to save the pictures from the official site but I can't. If anyone can help me then I need a picture for Abu Dhabi, thank you very much! Also a group picture for this season's drivers. I don't know why, I can't seem to find one yet...

Oh and is the title OK? Couldn't think of anything else.

ETA: I don't know if you guys have seen this - you probably have - but I love it so I must share. Pictures of the drivers doing random things when they arrived in Melbourne

Last edited by goodnightboy; 04-08-2009 at 07:39 PM
Old 04-09-2009, 02:44 AM
Elite Fan

Thanks for the new thread Gwen And the title is great.

Vicky
Old 04-09-2009, 02:47 AM
Elite Fan

Oops. Sorry for the double post FF went all weird on me.

Vicky

Last edited by Brucas4life; 04-09-2009 at 07:28 AM
Old 04-09-2009, 03:02 AM
New Fan

Thank you for the very nice post including the picutures! Love them!

What are your favorites for this season?
Old 04-09-2009, 03:18 AM
Master Fan

Thanks for the new thread, I like the title.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnightboy (View Post)
OK guys I don't know how David managed to get the pictures for the race banners - I tried to save the pictures from the official site but I can't. If anyone can help me then I need a picture for Abu Dhabi, thank you very much! Also a group picture for this season's drivers. I don't know why, I can't seem to find one yet...
Abu Dhabi

and the 2009 group pic

second driver interview is up - Nick Heidfeld
Quote:
Q: Your childhood hero was Michael Jordan, but which film did he star in back in 1996?
Nick Heidfeld: I’ve seen the movie - it was half animated. But I really cannot remember the title of the movie.
Incorrect - it’s Space Jam.

Q: You own a classic VW Beetle, but can you name the car’s original designer?
NH: Wasn’t it Ferdinand Porsche? At least that’s what is stored in my memory.
Half marks - it was actually Porsche’s chief designer, Erwin Komenda.

Q: In what city was your team mate Robert Kubica born?
NH: Krakow.
Correct

Q: Formula One drivers have a reputation for vanity, but why did you once say ‘I simply got tired of wasting time in front of the mirror every morning’?
NH: Must have something to do with my beard.
Correct - he made the comment after growing a beard.

Q: You have notched up the longest uninterrupted run of race classifications in the history of the sport. How many?
NH: 31. It’s not the nicest record ever. I would prefer to have Michael’s (Schumacher) record of wins. But then there is still room to improve.
Correct

Q: You live in the Swiss town of Stafa, but which German poet famously stayed in the town?
NH: I have no idea!
Incorrect - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Q: You scored your first world championship points with fourth place for Sauber at the 2001 Australian Grand Prix, but who won the race?
NH: Michael Schumacher - that’s the easiest choice anyway.
Correct

Q: They must put something in the water at your birthplace, Monchengladbach, as it has spawned three Formula One drivers. You of course are one, but can you name the other two?
NH: Frentzen and Hans Heyer.
Correct - Heinz-Harald Frentzen and Hans Heyer.

Q: Your nickname is ‘Quick Nick’, but which current Formula One driver is known by some as ‘sea bass’?
NH: I’ve no clue! Sea bass? (laughs out loud) I have to get around more in the paddock!
Incorrect - Toro Rosso’s Sebastien Bourdais.

Q: At last year’s Singapore Grand Prix, you were dropped three grid places after qualifying for supposedly impeding which driver?
NH: Barrichello!
Correct - Rubens Barrichello, who was a Honda driver at the time.

Q: Statistically you have scored the most points (204) of any driver not to have won a Grand Prix. One of your contemporaries is in second place on this list. Can you name which one?
NH: Alesi? Ahhh, he’s not racing anymore,e but I remember it took ages before he clinched his first win. So we are looking for someone who is still around? Don’t know.
Incorrect - It’s Red Bull’s Mark Webber, who has scored 101.5 points without a win.

Q: Your team mate Robert Kubica is taller than you and before the 2008 season worked hard to lower his weight, how many kilos did he lose?
NH: That depends on what you believe. There have been so many funny numbers swirling around. From me, no comment.
Incorrect - apparently Kubica lost seven kilos.

Q: You finished runner-up in the 1998 F3000 championship to Juan Pablo Montoya. How many NASCAR Sprint Cup races has Montoya won since leaving F1?
NH: Two?
Incorrect - Heidfeld was being a little generous there. He’s actually won just the one.

Q: You are a fan of sunglasses, but can you guess in what year the first pair was sold?
NH: Must have been around 1928.
Close enough for us - it was in 1929 by the Foster Grant company in Atlantic City, USA.

Q: You list the 1965 Ford Mustang as one of your favourite classic cars. Steve McQueen famously drove a Mustang on film in the car-lovers’ classic ‘Bullitt’. What year was McQueen’s Mustang and in which American city was the film set?
NH: It was a ’68 car in green. As for the city I have no clue.
One out of two - 1968 Mustang GT fastback, San Francisco.

Q: Zurich is your adopted home. Which church in Zurich features the largest church clock face in the world?
NH: Don’t know. I should probably go out for a city tour!
Incorrect - Heidfeld’s obviously spent too much time away from home travelling to Formula One races. It’s St Peter’s, (downstream from the Fraumünster, in the old city).

Q: You are German and a golfing fan. How many times has Germany’s greatest golfer Bernhard Langer won the prestigious Masters tournament?
NH: Two times.
Correct - Twice, in 1985 and 1993.

Q: You started your Formula One career with Prost. How many Grand Prix did Alain Prost win as a driver?
NH: Something around 52? Anyway it was an impressive number.
Admirably close, so half marks - it’s actually 51

Q: In 1996 you finished third in the German F3 series. Which of your current F1 rivals won the championship that year?
NH: Trulli.
Correct - Jarno Trulli

Final score: 12 points from a possible 21
Ask the Expert rating: 57%

Current leader board:
1. Sebastian Vettel - 64%
2. Nick Heidfeld - 57%
The Official Formula 1 Website

Last edited by perrygraham; 04-09-2009 at 03:32 AM
Old 04-09-2009, 06:54 AM
Master Fan

Thanks for the pictures and interview Ele! I've edited the OP already. Nick does like his sunglasses, it seems. He looks really hot in his aviators. Just look at this! OK, sorry for the fangirl moment.

HathawayFan, welcome to FF and to the thread! Favourites - to win or my personal favourites? For winning you can't bet against Button and Brawn, really. And the Toyotas look really consistent as well, hurrah. I expect Vettel to do really strongly as well, even in a car that isn't part of the Diffuser Three. Beyond that... hard to say. As for my personal favourites, hmm. I like Timo Glock and I like Jarno Trulli as well because of him (have to support Toyota and all). I like Kubica too. But I like most of the drivers really. I'm not a fan of Hamilton though.

Last edited by goodnightboy; 04-09-2009 at 07:04 AM
Old 04-09-2009, 08:45 AM
Moderator Manager

i missed a lot of talk, was really busy with RL!

Australia was so bad for Ferrari but i'm happy for the Brawn team win especially Jenson & Ruben's 1-2!

Malaysia was just...it was weird. Jenson won from the car and he was so surprised, he just stood up and waved to the crowd! i'm so hopeful for the Brawn team! that's like 2 in a row for Jenson! and Nick was super surprised as well. i'm also rooting for him this season to get his maiden win. Ferrari was terrible in Malaysia. i wonder what is up with them?

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:04 AM
Master Fan

No idea Lindsay, no idea at all

Quote:
Ask the Expert - BMW Sauber’s Robert Kubica

When did BMW build their first motor vehicle? Who played ‘The Dude’ in cult bowling film ‘The Big Lebowski’? Who are the three most famous Poles of all time? And how long did it take snooker’s Ronnie O’Sullivan to complete a 147 maximum break? These are just some of the questions we thought BMW Sauber’s Robert Kubica would take in his stride after he agreed to be the latest participant in our trivia-testing ‘Ask the Expert’ series. But how did he fare? Find out here…

Q: Approximately how many Polish people watch you race every week?
Robert Kubica: More than three million? That would be my guess, but I haven’t looked at the figures lately.
A modest answer, but sadly incorrect - the real number is up to four million people, more than 10 percent of the population.

Q: Polish television sports reporter Tomasz Lorek placed you fourth in a list of most famous Poles of all time. Who was ahead of you in the ranking?
RK: Sure the Pope and Lech Walesa - and, as that particular reporter loves speedway, it’s surely somebody from there.
Two out of three ain’t bad - the reporter actually said: ‘I would estimate that he is the fourth most famous Pole of all time in terms of worldwide fame, behind the last Pope, Lech Walesa, and maybe the chemist lady, Marie Sklodowska [better known to the non-Polish world as Marie Curie]’.

Q: For how many years has your boss Dr Mario Theissen worked for BMW?
RK: It must be a long time. How old is he now? 56. If he started when he was around 25 that should make it 31 years.
Close enough for half a mark - the actual answer is 32.

Q: In poker, what does the term ‘ducks’ stand for?
RK: A pair of twos! That’s an easy one.
Correct

Q: You’re a fan of bowling, but which pin is commonly known as the kingpin?
RK: The central pin. Another easy one!
Correct

Q: How many pairs of sunglasses does your team mate Nick Heidfeld own?
RK: Oh! Only last weekend he had seven different pairs. Must be around 30, for sure.
Correct - Kubica clearly knows his team mate well, 30 is indeed the correct answer after we questioned Heidfeld

Q: If you search your name on Google, can you guess how many results it brings up?
RK: I’ve no clue!
Incorrect - modesty won’t get you anywhere in this game - last time we checked the answer was 2,780,000.

Q: In 2005 you won the Renault World Series, how many victories did you score that season?
RK: Four.
Correct

Q: When, where and in what series did you win your first single-seater victory?
RK: Formula Renault 2002 in Vallelunga in April.
Correct

Q: How much does an official Robert Kubica cap cost on BMW Sauber’s website?
RK: Too expensive! 20 Euro?
Incorrect the price is actually 25 Euro

Q: What are Nick Heidfeld’s two children called?
RK: Juni and Joda
Correct

Q: You are a big fan of world rally champion Sebastien Loeb. But who is his long-time co-driver?
RK: A Monegasque. Daniel Elena
Correct

Q: Christian Klien is sitting on the bench again this year as BMW Sauber’s third driver, but how many Grands Prix has he started during his Formula One career?
RK: Christian? Something around 48?
Very close, so half marks - it’s actually 46

Q: Although BMW originally developed aircraft engines, when did the company build its first motor vehicle?
RK: Around 80 years ago?
Again, close enough for half marks - they built their first motorbike in 1923, but became an automobile manufacturer in 1928.

Q: BMW boasts a striking headquarters in Munich, what is the design of the building meant to represent?
RK: Engine cylinders
Correct - four of them in fact.

Q: You are a fan of snooker’s Ronnie ‘Rocket’ O’Sullivan, who holds the record for the fastest 147 maximum break. How long did it take him?
RK: That is easy - 5 minutes 20 seconds.
Correct - O’Sullivan’s achievement took place in the first round of the 1997 World Championship.

Q: Coming back to bowling, in the classic bowling movie ‘The Big Lebowski’, who plays Jeff Lebowski, more commonly known as ‘The Dude’?
RK: I don’t know.
Incorrect - it was Jeff Bridges.

Q: You still love karting, and you lived in Italy for quite a while. Which Italian is the current world karting champion?
RK: Marco Ardigo
Correct - he won the title in 2007 and 2008.

Q: Staying on an Italian theme, what is BMW’s connection to the recent remake of the classic car film ‘The Italian Job’?
RK: Can you repeat that? No idea.
Incorrect - it featured three new Minis as the getaway cars and the Mini is made by BMW.

Q: Your race debut came in Hungary 2006 after Jacques Villeneuve left the team. Where did Villeneuve finish on his race debut in Australia 1996?
RK: I know this one - it was not bad. He nearly won! Second
Correct - he finished second, having started from pole for Williams.

Final score: 17.5 points from a possible 25
Ask the Expert rating: 70%

Current leader board:
1. Robert Kubica - 70%
1. Sebastian Vettel - 64%
2. Nick Heidfeld - 57%
Old 04-11-2009, 07:14 AM
Master Fan

TFTNT! The title is true

maria| tumblr
Old 04-11-2009, 12:14 PM
Master Fan

Asking Kubica a question about poker is like asking the pope a question about religion lol.

Quote:
Q: How many pairs of sunglasses does your team mate Nick Heidfeld own?
RK: Oh! Only last weekend he had seven different pairs. Must be around 30, for sure.
Correct - Kubica clearly knows his team mate well, 30 is indeed the correct answer after we questioned Heidfeld
It's nuts that Kubica knows it.

Quote:
Q: What are Nick Heidfeld’s two children called?
RK: Juni and Joda
Correct
I knew that too lol, once you've heard them you don't forget it lol.

Thanks for posting. Kubica did very well.

Last edited by perrygraham; 04-12-2009 at 07:25 AM
Old 04-12-2009, 02:29 AM
Master Fan

Really? I didn't know that (but you can kind of guess from the question about kingpin and The Big Lebowski, which I bet he's seen). And I think it's equally nuts that Nick has 30 pairs of sunglasses. I mean, can you imagine someone wearing 7 different pairs of sunglasses over one weekend? That's insane

Yeah strange names. But very memorable ones. I like the bit about his official cap too - "Too expensive!" hee hee. And it really is expensive. 25 Euro for a cap! Crazy. You're right though I didn't expect all of them to do so well. But I guess it's about stuff they like so it's not surprising? I like this series anyway. Kind of like the A Race Weekend With... series last season.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:23 PM
Elite Fan

They are ruling on the diffuser tomorrow so that sound make a very interesting day.

Oh and some Ferrari news:

Quote:
Ferrari revamp pit personnel team

Ferrari have reorganised their pit team for Sunday's Chinese Grand Prix. The struggling world champions, who are without a point after two races, have handed team manager Luca Baldisserri's track duties to engineer Chris Dyer. Baldisserri has been criticised in the Italian media for his decision-making at the Malaysian GP earlier this month. Ferrari insisted Baldisserri would play a key role in the team's working group looking at new technologies aimed at closing the gap on F1 leaders Brawn GP.

"A crucial element of this group is Luca Baldisserri," said a Ferrari statement. "The Scuderia team manager will follow the single-seater's development step-by-step, while his role at the track will be covered by Chris Dyer." Ferrari, who have won eight of the last 10 constructors' championships, have got off to their worst start to a F1 season since 1992 and the reigning constructors champions sit bottom of the table.

At the Malaysia GP the Italian team sent out Kimi Raikkonen on extreme wet tyres too early, a gamble that backfired as the Finn lost time on other drivers. Felipe Massa was handicapped by starting back in 16th on the grid after another strategic decision had gone wrong in qualifying and was unable to make any gains on the leading pack. He finished ninth in Sepang, while 2007 champion Kimi Raikkonen was five places further adrift in 14th place.

At the Australian GP, Massa sustained a reliability failure on lap 45 when he was third, three laps after team-mate Raikkonen had spun out. After the Malaysia GP Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo warned his team against becoming the laughing stock of F1.
Source

Vicky
Old 04-14-2009, 02:52 PM
Master Fan

I must be totally blind or something, 'cause I didn't notice the new thread. Anyway thanks for opening!

Quote:
Ross Brawn was described as "a person of supreme arrogance" as the opening salvos were fired in the diffuser row hearing.

Ferrari, Renault, Red Bull Racing and BMW Sauber squared up against Brawn GP, Toyota and Williams in front of five judges representing the International Court of Appeal.

At the heart of the matter is the conceptual design of the diffuser - an aerodynamic body part that aids performance - towards the rear of the cars belonging to the three teams in the firing line.

At the FIA headquarters, overlooking the Place de la Concorde in Paris, Brawn and motor sport's world govening body were notably singled out for criticism.

Leading the debate was Ferrari's legal representative Nigel Tozzi QC, who successfully argued the team's case over 'spygate' and at last year's inquest into Lewis Hamilton's chicane-cutting move at the Belgian Grand Prix.

Tozzi drew reference to a seemingly emotional statement made by Brawn as part of his team's submissions amongst the mountain of paperwork to hand for the five judges to wade through.

In it, Brawn claims the appeal is "vindictive", and "for people too slow off the mark".

However, Tozzi concluded his 90-minute opening remarks by claiming that "only a person of supreme arrogance would think he is right when so many of his esteemed colleagues would disagree".

Brawn GP, Toyota and Williams have designed what has become known as a "double-decker diffuser", central to which are two apertures that increase airflow, so aiding downforce that in turn increases speed.

Ferrari, Renault, Red Bull Racing and BMW Sauber insist there is nothing in the technical regulations that allow for such "holes".

As Tozzi noted: "Anyone with a command of English will tell you it is a hole, so do not let someone attempting to be clever with words defeat the express purpose of the rules."

He added: "The appeal is not because we have not made the most of an opportunity, but because Brawn, Toyota and Williams have not acted within the regulations."

The FIA, and in particular technical director Charlie Whiting, also came under fire, with Tozzi accusing them of "getting it wrong, and not understanding the point".

That appeared to be made clear when Renault's legal representative, Andrew Ford, noted the FIA and Whiting had early last season ruled illegal a design by the French manufacturer similar to that currently being used by Toyota.

As Ford remarked: "It is not that Renault missed the boat, as Brawn have pointed out, it is because the FIA said it was illegal."

Ford added: "It was at that point the diffuser was abandoned."

Ford has confirmed Renault has a prototype diffuser ready to go, potentially for this weekend's race in China, should the appeal be dismissed.

Tozzi continued: "The position of the FIA is totally baffling...we urge you to save the FIA from itself."

It was pointed out that crucial to the seven teams without the new diffuser is the cost of redevelopment as the part concerned has a bearing on several other elements of a car.

Tozzi added: "It was Max Mosley who said recently that costs must be reduced by limiting the opportunities for technical innovation.

"If the appeal is dismissed then the claims by the FIA they want to make the sport more attractive and reduce costs will sound hollow."

A further assertion is that the 'double-decker' diffuser limits the opportunities for following cars to pass, in contrast to the aims of F1's Overtaking Working Group, in particular with regard to this year's new regulations.

Given the magnitude of the case, other than the five judges, there are 38 people present, either legal counsel, team personnel or from the FIA.
source:http://www.planet-f1.com
Old 04-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for the article. Well whatever the result tomorrow someone is going to be unhappy. I just think it's ridiculous that this is still being discussed now and wasn't sorted out before the season started.

I also just wanted to bring this over as I completely agree with Alonso. If they are deemed legal then I read it's not a simple case of adding this diffuser to their cars, they would completely have to rebuild them which would take months by which point Brawn and the others would be out of sight. imo the simplest thing to do is rule them illegal as at least two of the three teams using them I believe had a fall back anyway if they were told they couldn't use it, and I would let the current points stand as it's not Brawn's fault their car was originally deemed legal. They can't just change their minds and deduct all their points. Then what would have been the point in watching the first two races.

Quote:
The FIA rejected a protest by rival teams, who argue the design does not conform to the new 2009 regulations. But the International Court of Appeal is expected to announce a final ruling on Wednesday and could deduct points from Brawn, Toyota and Williams.

An independent panel is hearing arguments from both sides at the meeting in Paris, where Ferrari's legal representative, Nigel Tozzi QC, has described Brawn GP team boss Ross Brawn as "a person of supreme arrogance".

The row broke out when Ferrari, Renault and Red Bull protested against the legality of the split-level diffusers on the eve of the season-opening Grand Prix in Australia, but race stewards in Melbourne rejected their claims. BMW Sauber then had a similar protest rejected at the Malaysian Grand Prix while McLaren have recently added their weight to the official protest. Speaking from outside FIA headquarters in Paris, BBC sports news reporter Joe Wilson said: "Rear diffusers this season were supposed to get smaller, but Brawn and a couple of other teams have ended up with bigger ones, exploiting a little loophole in the laws. "An independent panel of judges, looking at things with a legal mind, may just uphold this appeal - though there will be widespread surprise, if not shock, if Brawn end up losing their points this season."

The protesting teams say the split-level design contravenes a rule that states the diffuser - an aerodynamic body part which aids performance - must have an upper edge that runs in a horizontal straight line. They also believe the design is negating the main aim of this season's new rule changes, which is to make overtaking easier. The split-level diffusers generate more downforce at the rear of the car, resulting in a clear performance advantage of around 0.5 seconds per lap.

If the protestors win their appeal the FIA has two options. It could allow the results of the first two races to stand, with the three teams concerned being forced to alter their cars from Sunday's Chinese GP onwards, or they could remove any points won by those teams in Australia and Malaysia.

British driver Button - who insists his car is "100% legal" - has won both and his team lead the constructors' championship with 25 points, ahead of Toyota on 16.5 points.

The other eight teams have only 17 points between them and Ferrari, the reigning constructors' champions, are yet to get off the mark. Prior to the hearing, Brawn said he was optimistic the Court of Appeal would agree with the race stewards and sanction the split-level diffuser design. "I would just be surprised if the appeal court can make judgements on technicalities - it's quite a complex technical matter," he told BBC Sport. "You can't be 100% confident but I hope common sense prevails on their side."

If the judges rule the diffusers are legal, then the seven teams who are running without the split-level diffusers are expected to try and incorporate the design into their cars as soon as possible. Setting about such a radical redesign with the season under way will not be easy. Many of the teams running with regular diffusers argue the cost of making the changes is too great, especially during a climate of cost-cutting within the sport in the face of the global economic crisis.

"I've heard several of them complaining about the cost," said Brawn. "But there are lots of things teams copy from each other and the cost doesn't get debated. I think some teams will be able to do it very quickly, but for other teams it will be more difficult because of their suspension configuration or other elements of the car."

Whichever way the judges rule in Paris, the outcome of the hearing is likely to have a significant effect on the season. "The championship could be more or less decided," warned Renault's double world champion Fernando Alonso. "If the diffusers are legal, then the Brawns are going to be nearly unreachable for any other team."
Source

Vicky
Closed Thread   Post New Thread