Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2020, 04:51 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Music
Alias

just play it as a nameless game then.
and I will never be captive, or hostage, or confined.
- icon - k-pop - Dave
Old 11-22-2020, 12:45 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Video Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil's Cry (View Post)
just play it as a nameless game then.
yeah i mean i enjoy it, other than a few little things, im just saying it should have been a new IP.
Old 11-22-2020, 04:16 AM
Total Fan

Starting a new IP would give them the creative freedom to do what's best for the game they actually want to make, because they'd no longer be hamstrung by the obligation to shoehorn in certain things or having to bend over backwards explaining how new elements fit into the Assassin's Creed universe.

My impression is that Ubisoft is only making these games under the Assassin's Creed brand to make more money, and I think they should take a break from the AC franchise before they run it into the ground like Call of Duty.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:39 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Music
Alias

I love it as it is. I don't think evolving should mean calling it something else. AC2 is one of my favourites, but I couldn't go back and play it now. It's a clunky mess that lasted all the way up to Syndicate. They couldn't have continued making games like that.

It sounds like Valhalla has found the best of both though. Regardless of the name, people can decided whether the game itself is something they want to play or not.
- icon - k-pop - Dave
Old 11-22-2020, 07:06 AM
Elite Fan

Valhalla isn’t any more assassiny than the previous two games. It’s a big open world again with lots of things to collect and do. I’ve been playing for 3 days and I’ve only done like 3 story missions
Old 11-22-2020, 08:13 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Music
Alias

I heard it was less RPG-like in terms of areas of the map having different event levels though.

Hopefully I'll start it in the next few days.
- icon - k-pop - Dave
Old 11-22-2020, 08:36 AM
Elite Fan

There’s recommended power, which is pretty much level, for each area of the map. And the skill tree’s more like a spider web, but it’s a mixture of passive buffs and active skills, which is even more rpg like than Odyssey and Origins. I guess the loot system is less rpg like, there aren’t as many items as in the previous games and it’s more about upgrading the items you have than finding lots of new ones. I find the loot system in this game pretty boring.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:52 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Music
Alias

Thanks for clarifying. I'm okay with sticking with weapons for awhile, I was constantly waiting for the new shiny thing in the last two games, even though the look was all that changed.

I think I'll be starting it later.
- icon - k-pop - Dave
Old 11-23-2020, 03:17 AM
Total Fan

I'm conflicted, on one hand I think I should just let go and enjoy it, on the other I keep asking myself, is it wrong to want Assassin's Creed things in an Assassin's Creed game? Over the last decade and a dozen or so games, Ubisoft have shaped a specific identity and expectation for AC, these last few games have been a significant change in direction.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:29 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Video Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mori (View Post)
I'm conflicted, on one hand I think I should just let go and enjoy it, on the other I keep asking myself, is it wrong to want Assassin's Creed things in an Assassin's Creed game? Over the last decade and a dozen or so games, Ubisoft have shaped a specific identity and expectation for AC, these last few games have been a significant change in direction.
This is pretty much how i feel. I've learned to appreciate them for what htey are (and I think Origins qualifies since it's an origin story about the assassin order). I'm looking forward to Valhalla but you could easily have updated the old game's formula (which I love and still love) to make it more Assassins Creed like. I hope they change the forumla again. These open world games are fine but the story is all over the place and im kind of tired of 1100+ hour open world games that are just full of busy work.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:52 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil's Cry (View Post)
Thanks for clarifying. I'm okay with sticking with weapons for awhile, I was constantly waiting for the new shiny thing in the last two games, even though the look was all that changed.
I meant more that the armour sets and legendary weapons had more interesting perks. Even if some of them were useless.

Also, not liking the new AC games as much as the old ones is valid, many people feel that way, but I’m pretty sure they said they won’t go back to the old formula.
Old 11-23-2020, 01:31 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Music
Alias

Plus they’re no longer annual releases, so they’re not forced to limit the scope of what they want to do with each one (for better or worse). Syndicate and Unity were the last ones to be just one city as a result of that, I think. So they could do it, they just need to realise that extra time doesn’t just have to be used to make a bigger game.
- icon - k-pop - Dave
Old 11-24-2020, 04:40 AM
Total Fan

Valhalla does seem to have scaled back on size in favour of deeper and more varied content, such as the settlement building, interchangeable dual wielding, and raiding.

I agree that the story weaker. The modern day plot in particular has been spinning it's wheels since Desmond died, IMO. We didn't get a proper new present day protagonist until Layla, and still the modern story feels thin and always ends with a sequel hook or cliffhanger. They've been glacially building Juno up as a new big bad, only to have apparently killed her off recently in a spin-off comic book?

The Discovery Tours are a cool addition though. AC has always inspired people to learn more about the world around them, and it's amazing that Discovery Tour can continue that tradition in an even richer way. It's the closest thing we have to getting in a time machine and exploring past worlds hands-on.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:18 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Music
Alias

if they’re going to keep pulling you out of the Animus, there needs to be a point to it. They could definitely use more of their extra time on that aspect of it.
- icon - k-pop - Dave
Old 11-24-2020, 06:37 AM
Elite Fan

I never pay any attention to modern day AC so I have no idea what’s happening with Abstergo etc. I have now played almost 50 hours of Valhalla so obviously I’m having fun, but it won’t be a game I can replay easily, like Odyssey, which I must have spent at least 500 playing. The side stuff is alright when you do it once, but I think most of it would be boring doing it the second time.

ETA: Main story quests are a lot of fun.

Last edited by zazie87; 11-24-2020 at 07:00 AM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread