Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2014, 08:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

Things You Can't Outrun [1.03] - Episode Discussion [October 21st, 2014]

[1.03] THINGS YOU CAN'T OUTRUN
ϟ EPISODE DISCUSSION ϟ

ϟ THE FLASH BATTLES THE MIST, CAITLIN TELLS BARRY ABOUT RONNIE ϟ
As Barry (Grant Gustin) and the team at S.T.A.R. Labs work to capture Kyle Nimbus (guest star Anthony Carrigan), a.k.a. The Mist, a dangerous new meta-human with toxic gas powers, they revisit the painful night the particle accelerator exploded and killed Caitlin’s (Danielle Panabaker) fiancé, Ronnie (guest star Robbie Amell). Meanwhile, Joe (Jesse Martin) decides to finally visit Henry (John Wesley Shipp) in jail after all these years, but things take a dangerous turn when Kyle shows up looking to punish Joe for arresting him years ago. Meanwhile, Iris (Candice Patton) and Eddie (Rick Cosnett) continue to hide their relationship from Joe.
Jesse Warn directed the episode written by Alison Schapker & Grainne Godfree (#103).
ϟ PROMO ϟ

ϟ REMINDERS ϟ
- Be respectful. Not everyone is going to agree with you at all times. It’s perfectly fine to disagree with someone as long as it is done respectfully.

- No character/actor bashing. You can express your opinions on a certain character or performance, but please keep in mind that these are real people who are trying to do the best with what they are given, so please keep things civil.

- Links to illegal links to downloads or live streams are not allowed here. You can discuss and share these links only through PM's.

- With the exception of promos and episode stills, everything else is considered a spoiler before the episode airs.

- HAVE FUN watching and discussing the episode!

Last edited by Hero of Time; 10-20-2014 at 09:44 PM
Old 10-21-2014, 06:51 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the new thread Flave. I'm very excited for the episode

[TWENTY YEARS OF YOUNG AMERICANS!]
Join us for one l a s t celebration!♡
♪_where would we be without a little l o v e?
[ Sheida : Tumblr | Twitter | Instagram ]
Old 10-21-2014, 08:25 AM
Master Fan

TFTNT! Can't wait!
Old 10-21-2014, 09:36 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Looking forward to this
Old 10-21-2014, 03:38 PM
Fan Forum Star

You're welcome, guys . I can't wait either !
Old 10-21-2014, 05:11 PM
Dedicated Fan

*sheepish grin* I feel like I'm jumping the gun on liveposting about this while watching it. Since I don't want to spoil it for people or anything, I'll just...come back later...!

Last edited by Jade4813; 10-21-2014 at 05:23 PM
Old 10-21-2014, 06:18 PM
Total Fan

So... did anyone else catch the shout-out to the Flash Museum?

Flash Museum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 10-21-2014, 06:32 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I enjoyed this episode!

Great way to open this episode with Iris and Barry coming from the theater, I really love seeing their friendship while Barry is secretly in love with Iris. It's sweet to see.
While Barry keeps pinning from out-far, Iris relationship with Eddie takes a step up. I think it was about time that she told her Father, it was great to learn that Irish hasn't been in many relationships.... many serious ones anyway, so Eddie might be one of her first important romantic relationship.

I love how much Iris is with this Flash guy. lol It reminds me of Smallville when Clark and Lois had this thing going but Lois was also obsessed with the Blur, who of course was Clark. So I'm intrigued to see how the storyline will go with Iris curiosity of who this Flash guy is.

The family relationships on this show is everything! it feels like such a long time since I've seen real loving friendships on the tv shows, it's always all about romance or triangles. So it's a nice refreshing.
The relationship between Barry/Henry really touches my heart, just the fact that Barry believed in his Father for so long, and tries to visit him everyday. It's really nice, anytime Barry comes around, Henry face just brightens up. I love the love they share for each other.

Feel bad for Joe, because he did't believe in Henry at all and to now all these years later to find out that Henry wasn't the killer, it's gotta be painful. I loved the conversation that Henry and Joey had in the jail. Joe didn't believe in Henry, but he always believed in Barry.

Barry and Joe, of course their relationship was great tonight as well.

It was nice to see a bit more Caitlin tonight, while learning a bit more of her past with her ex fiance Ronnie. I can't wait for them to reunite.. we all know Ronnie isn't really dead.... well I don't think anyway. lol
I loved all the Caitlin interactions with either Barry or Cisco.

Dr. Wells, every episode ends with a new discovery from him doesn't it?

Old 10-21-2014, 06:36 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal◘fate (View Post)

Dr. Wells, every episode ends with a new discovery from him doesn't it?

No Flash episode is complete without that final scene of Dr. Wells being all mysterious and/or creepy...
Old 10-21-2014, 09:11 PM
Absolute Fan

My review:
One of the things that I've enjoyed most about Arrow is Oliver Queen's episode-opening monologue, and I'm therefore glad to see that the tradition has been ported over to The Flash in its entirety (we got a couple of 'pseudo monologues' for the Pilot and last week's episode, but it was nice to see a full-on Arrow-style monologue accompanying tonight's episode, particularly given how exposition-heavy most of the episode itself was.)

I've liked both Caitlin and Cisco since the Pilot, but it was nice to see some flashbacks featuring them and to get a better sense of their individual personalities, particularly Caitlin. The Pilot does a pretty effective job of setting up that she's been damaged by the death of her fiancee, but actually getting to see a flashback to that event really helps explain exactly how damaged she is; it also helps to temper one of my most significant complaints from last week's episode, which was that the writers at times moved her away from filling the archetypal role of Barry's "female confidante" (i.e. Felicity), and there's a part of me that wishes we'd seen these flashbacks (or at least portions of them) last week. I'm also finding myself wishing that the writers will pair her and Cisco together romantically if she doesn't end up rekindling things with her not-quite-dead fiancee Ronnie.

I know there are people out there who will vehemently disagree with me, but Barry and Iris really don't belong together romantically in spite of Barry's unrequited feelings for her. The episode-opening scene of them walking out of a movie theater would've had a completely different feel to it if they were a couple and, IMO, would not have worked nearly as well as it did. In fact, most of their interactions both in this episode and in the previous episodes would not have worked as well as they did with the characters being a couple.

I love Jesse L. Martin as an actor, and he's really owning the role of Detective West. I love that he's both Barry's personal and professional confidante, and the fact that he's aware of what Barry can do - and of his 'extracurricular' activities - adds a ton of layers to the show that you really couldn't get any other way, particularly now that the writers have introduced the ongoing subplot of formally re-opening Nora Allen's death and conducting a brand-new investigation.

I'm so glad that Iris and Eddie aren't sneaking around anymore when it comes to their relationship and Joe's knowledge of it, and got a tremendous kick out of Joe admitting that he was already aware of the secret they'd been trying so desperately to hide, particularly since it allowed for some very fatherly and protective banter between the three of them. Joe's quip about things being very different if the doctor hadn't taken away his gun was a particular highlight of that exchange, as was his quip about trying to resist shooting Eddie since Iris is smitten with him.

I really want to know more about Henry Allen, particularly his past relationship with Joe. The scene where Joe went to Iron Heights to apologize for having him wrongly imprisoned and inform him that he was formally re-opening the investigation into Nora's death was really touching, even if it was 'ruined' by the arrival of the villain of the week, Mr. Kyle Nimbus (AKA The Mist)

Speaking of, I really liked him, and am hoping we'll see him again, especially since he's the first adversary Barry's faced that wasn't fatally neutralized. His metahuman ability was freaking awesome, and I love the way the actor carried himself, as it added a nice additional dimension of creepiness to the character and his vendetta. He also reminded me of one of my favorite Arrow villains, Seth Gabel's Count Vertigo/The Count, which is another reason I'm hoping we'll see him again at some point.

As cool as it is to have somewhere for Barry to put these superhuman enemies he keeps on coming up against, I can't help but get the feeling that the very existence of this place is going to come back to bite him in the rear sooner rather than later, and that Doctor Wells is going to be somehow responsible, particularly since the writers just keep on piling on the shady with him.

I've said in previous reviews that Iris is clearly meant to fill the same archetypal function as Laurel, but the last two episodes - particularly tonight's - have given her a very Chloe-esque archetypal role as well in the form of her interest in "The Streak", and I'm really intrigued to see where this particular subplot leads her.

This show continues to improve week-to-week, and is easily one of the best new things on TV right now. It's also a worthy companion to Arrow (which itself continues to improve week-to-week).

In closing, I can't wait for Felicity to visit Central City next week, although I do question why the writers are having Barry introduce her to Cisco and Caitlin and tell them that she works/worked with Oliver/The Arrow when they're already aware of this.
"Two hearts. One happy. One sad." - Thirteenth Doctor

Last edited by DigificWriter; 10-21-2014 at 09:17 PM
Old 10-22-2014, 03:19 AM
Total Fan

^To be fair, Barry/Iris aren't a couple, so of course their movie night wasn't anywhere near romantic, especially considering the fact their chat was interrupted by a phone call from Iris's boyfriend to remind us of that. We're really not supposed to see them romantically at this time (other than Barry's side of it) so it's not going to come across as even a possibility. When Iris starts showing mutual interest, that dynamic will start to change.

As for Barry introducing Felicity as "she works with the Arrow", we don't see who he's introducing her to with the editing in the promo. It could be Joe and Dr. Wells, not Cisco and Caitlin. I'm sure Caitlin and Cisco know who she is, since she did come visit Barry while he was in a coma.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:11 AM
Absolute Fan

^ I don't want it to change; that was kind of my point. Their dynamic is perfect as-is.

As far as the promo goes, I've since seen an extended version that has tempered my initial reaction significantly.
"Two hearts. One happy. One sad." - Thirteenth Doctor
Old 10-22-2014, 09:34 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Okay how great was this episode?

I too love that Arrow-esque opening monologue. Given that Flash took off from Arrow that's a great sentiment. And speaking of Arrow- Felicity is coming next week

The family dynamic on this show is so amazing. Seeing that father/son relationship between Joe and Barry- not since Smallville have I seen that good a relationship like that.

And speaking of Smallville it definitely has that vibe with Lois being after the (Red/Blue) Blur (and Iris here being after the Red Blur, ie the Flash).

I love that we got to see more of Caitlin opening up.

And let me just say that I love it every time I hear the name 'Ronnie' on the show since that's my name in RL. Granted here on the show it's the name of a guy but hey I have one of those unisex names so I'm okay with that

And speaking of the show Ronnie- I love Robbie in the role. And we got to somewhat see him on the verge of becoming Firestorm!

And that Fire & Ice reference between him and Caitlin- loved it!

And the mystery that is Dr. Wells- gah. I always love when we get those after Flash title creds with him. Sure enough I was right about this one. When Cisco and Ronnie talked about the lightning thing being directed upwards instead I was like oh so it was intentionally while unintentionally being directed at Barry. And then sure enough they showed it in Wells' secret lair.

This show is easily becoming one of my favorites.
Emma♥Neal
Old 10-22-2014, 02:29 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Do Cisco and Caitlin know of Felicity and the Arrow working together? I don't recall

I enjoyed the ep a lot. The villains are good but not great (which will change next week with CAPTAIN COLD)
I like Barry with his fathers...best part of the show by far.

The Caitlin backstory was great especially as it wasn't just her...it was nice to see Cisco as more than just the comic relief.

I still don't view Wells as the villain just yet.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:15 PM
Fan Forum Hero

One of the neatest parts was that Henry got to be one of the first (outside of the team) to witness the Flash. That moment of contact Barry had with him was beautiful in so many ways.

~*~*~

I'm curious but with this quote:

"It took the jury 52 minutes to come back with a verdict of guilty."

Was that intentionally a nod to the New 52?

They could have picked any number (unless that's how it is in the comics) but they chose that one. Either way, coincidence?
Emma♥Neal

Last edited by Ron_Beckett; 10-22-2014 at 03:40 PM
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top