Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 04-26-2016, 03:20 AM
Elite Fan

"Buckle Up" {5x19: 28th April, 2016} Episode Discussion

Quote:
“Buckle Up” – As Mellie, Susan and Hollis prepare to meet with Florida’s governor and vie for her influential endorsement, a spin war between Abby and Olivia threatens to keep their candidates grounded. Meanwhile, Cyrus is faced with a decision that could dramatically alter his future, on ABC’s “Scandal,” THURSDAY, APRIL 28 (9:00-10:00 p.m. EDT), on the ABC Television Network.

“Scandal” stars Kerry Washington as Olivia Pope, Guillermo Diaz as Huck, Darby Stanchfield as Abby Whelan, Katie Lowes as Quinn Perkins, Tony Goldwyn as President Fitzgerald Grant, Jeff Perry as Cyrus, Bellamy Young as First Lady Mellie Grant, Joshua Malina as David Rosen, Scott Foley as Jake Ballard, Portia De Rossi as Elizabeth North, Cornelius Smith, Jr., as Marcus Walker and Joe Morton as Eli Pope.

Guest cast TBA.

“Buckle Up” was written by Michelle Lirtzman and directed by Oliver Bokelberg.

Last edited by Srta_Parker; 04-27-2016 at 12:11 AM
Old 04-26-2016, 06:39 AM
Master Fan

Bellamy looks amazing in that preview!
So, I guess Cyrus's dilemma has to do with Michael? And I can't picture the Liv/Abby war going on for long. Truth is my feels are all over the place after the Jake thing and I'm caring for little else
Old 04-26-2016, 06:59 AM
Elite Fan

ITA about Bells!!! She looks gorgeous!!!

Quote:
And I can't picture the Liv/Abby war going on for long.
I don´t know. I think at least it will last till the finale with maybe some breaks.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:12 PM
Master Fan

TFTNT. I just got caught up from last week. Poor Jake!!! They should have never left that beach

Old 04-27-2016, 12:12 AM
Elite Fan

I´ve corrected the title of the post. I missed and L.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:42 PM
Elite Fan

Just a few hours!!!
Old 04-29-2016, 04:50 AM
Master Fan

What a great episode, I loved it! There's so much I'd like to say but I'd probably forget something or someone.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:29 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkalice (View Post)
What a great episode, I loved it! There's so much I'd like to say but I'd probably forget something or someone.
As you suggested I´ve opened a Mellie & Marcus thread:

http://www.fanforum.com/f427/mellie-.../#post85909119
Old 04-29-2016, 08:06 AM
Master Fan

Thanks Alright after a few hours I'm going to say what I liked about this episode:

-Everything???
-Mellie's outfits and Mellie being Mellie. Also, being worried for Olivia! And don't get me started on her wearing her hair up at the dinner. I missed her updos and she looked amazing.
-The Marcus/Mellie dynamic just keeps getting better. He can even silence her! Who silences Mellie Grant? And how he just went after her and talked to her alone. He gives her confidence and she trusts him.
-Like I thought, Olivia and Abby didn't stay enemies for long. It was interesting to see how their catfight basically damaged both their campaigns and now they're going to team up again. I also liked how this showed a human aspect in Liv: if she was just rooting for Abby no matter what, that wouldn't be realistic. If Abby wins, Olivia loses. She can't just like that and be happy for her. Abby, on the other hand, she crossed Olivia just because she suggested she's not a monster. Well, she was right! She's not. And she's not a big dog and she doesn't run anything, to be honest. I like Abby, but she's not Olivia.
-We're exploring Liv's PTSD and surprise! She gives almost zero ****s about killing Andrews. I mean sure, it's a bad thing, but the worst it's doing to her is keeping her from killing Eli and saving Jake. She's in a bad place, but that's not because of Andrew, it's because of the consequences killing Andrew is having for her. That's brilliant if you ask me.
-Fitz. I thought I'd die before I started liking him, but actually focusing on things other than Olivia is making him a good character. He was always decent, but he was also desperate, whiny and self-righteous. Now he's becoming a man. He has ideas. He's making himself useful. I love it. I'm actually enjoying watching him. If he keeps going like this he might actually become a partner worth of Liv and a presence that doesn't intoxicate her. What's going on with me??
-Michael. Well basically I'm happy Michael was there because he never is, usually, so that's in itself a good thing. But I'm particularly happy I saw him because he didn't play dirty. I'm not sure where he is but he did protect Cyrus and I believe he's simply trying to protect Ella as well now. I hope he adopted her though, because otherwise it's kidnapping? But I doubt he's planning to go MIA and disappear on his husband. #PROTECTMICHAEL2K16
-David </3 why did you do that? It compromised you and it didn't win California for Susan. But it was very sweet to watch him. I'm not sure why he's so unpopular (oh yeah I am actually, he's not Fitz so obsessed fangirls hate him by default). I can't see this ending well for the couple btw, and I'm starting to think maybe he and Liz deserve each other. By the way, did Liz look jealous for a second?
-We're going after faux Trump! Can't wait to watch next week!

What I didn't like:
-I'm quite afraid for Michael
-If Fitz could have a speaking scene where he doesn't talk about Olivia it would help his character
-Abby could perhaps shake this Olivia complex off herself
Old 04-29-2016, 10:52 AM
Elite Fan

I´m afraid for Michael.

I think the conflict between Abby and Olivia is not solved. Something will happen.

Yes for Marcus and Mellie!!!

Love when Fitz and Mellie act like a team!!
Old 04-29-2016, 11:23 AM
Cardcaptor Queen

Liv's in a bad place cause of Jake being threatened and having to let him go. Don't have much to say about this episode, I found it boring. If Cyrus is true to character, he won't look for Ella considering he never pays attention to her anyway. Liv's breakdown to Huck over Jake was a good scene but besides that, *snores*
Old 04-29-2016, 11:26 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
If Cyrus is true to character, he won't look for Ella considering he never pays attention to her anyway.
Remember the way he looked at Michael as if he was nuts for wanting to comb Ella's hair? Then he proceeded to call her "James's daughter", now he's acting shocked. I like Cyrus because he's entertaining to watch and sometimes human, but he's a garbage person lol.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:56 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly85 (View Post)
Liv's in a bad place cause of Jake being threatened and having to let him go. Don't have much to say about this episode, I found it boring. If Cyrus is true to character, he won't look for Ella considering he never pays attention to her anyway. Liv's breakdown to Huck over Jake was a good scene but besides that, *snores*
I was hesitant to post because I feel the same way about this episode. I did enjoy Fitz and Mellie meeting on the tarmac. Surrounded by media they managed to have a private conversation.

It still breaks my heart that Liv can't save Jake. It makes me hate Rowan even more and he wasn't even in this episode.

Oh and Liv and Abby joining forces is great!!

"You're gonna' miss me so bad when I'm gone."
Old 04-29-2016, 01:03 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkalice (View Post)
Remember the way he looked at Michael as if he was nuts for wanting to comb Ella's hair? Then he proceeded to call her "James's daughter", now he's acting shocked. I like Cyrus because he's entertaining to watch and sometimes human, but he's a garbage person lol.
He will look for them because Ella is James' daughter. She is the last thing of James he has left. Plus, Cyrus is a control freak, and no way is he going to allow Michael to have any power over him. Michael taking Ella was not just him doing what he thinks is best, it was also a power play. As he told Alex, he wants Cyrus to pay. Michael knows taking Ella away from Cyrus is punishing him. Despite Cyrus being a mostly neglectful father, he is Ella's legal father. While Michael is a more loving parent, he is only her stepfather. While Michael views himself as Ella's dad, unfortunately , he is not. Cyrus was correct when he said she is Cyrus and James' daughter. In many ways he is her dad, but he is not legally. Stepparents do not have the same legal rights as the legal parent. In actuality in most states, they have no legal rights to make decisions on behalf of the child’s well-being. They have no say in the child’s medical decisions, who has access to the child, or educational decisions regarding the child. While Michael views himself as Ella's dad, he is not. Legally, he is just her stepfather unless Cyrus gave him legal guardianship which I highly doubt. In most states, the most the court would even consider giving Michael is visitation.

While I am afraid for Michael, While I am happy that he stood up for himself, it put him in grave danger. In addition, while many people believe Michael taking Ella was morally right, technically it will be viewed legally as custodial interference and in some cases outright kidnapping. it will also destroy any chance of him potentially in court since it will be viewed as Michael using Ella as a weapon against Cyrus especially if he brings up Cyrus' infidelity being the cause of the fight. In addition, it will also be viewed as Michael being unable to be a amicable co-parent especially if he does not allow Ella near Cyrus. While we as a audience may see or think Cyrus a horrible person, he is a man of much influence, power and wealth. He has allies in high places while Michael seemingly does not work or has any money of his own. Remember when James threatened to leave Cyrus, he ripped into James about how his lack of job and money were going to help Cyrus get full custody of Ella. James was the love of his love, and he was willing to destroy him to hold onto Ella or at least use her to hold onto James. Whether we agree on not, Cyrus does love Ella in as much Cyrus is capable.

Michael's past whether he likes it or not will be used against him if he tries for custody especially if he has to admit the how he was paid to go after Cyrus and then used him. He will be painted as a opportunistic sex worker who took advantage of a a vulnerable grieving and wealthy man. he set a trap and married him for his money and is trying to get custody of Ella in order for an additional money grab. he will be viewed as a goldigger. If Michael is still friendless then he is even more screwed. Since Cyrus is a powerful political figure, parents of Ella's friends are not going to get involved in a custody battle. In addition, Fitz, Olivia and company for political reasons cannot turn their backs on Cyrus because of the amount of dirt he has on them. It will by Michael vs Cyrus, and Cyrus is ruthless when he needs to be. The best hope for Michael is to come to an agreement with Cyrus.

I think he will be back by the end of the season. Hopefully it is not to get killed off. Personally, i hope he comes back with conditions. I think/ hope Cyrus and Michael will return back to their "arranged" marriage with a possibility that after a some counseling, Cyrus will allow Michael to have some rights for Ella.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:11 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I was hesitant to post because I feel the same way about this episode. I did enjoy Fitz and Mellie meeting on the tarmac.
I loved that scene. They have such a good chemistry as exes/reluctant friends.

Quote:
I think he will be back by the end of the season. Hopefully it is not to get killed off. Personally, i hope he comes back with conditions. I think/ hope Cyrus and Michael will return back to their "arranged" marriage with a possibility that after a some counseling, Cyrus will allow Michael to have some rights for Ella.
I hope so too. Besides, I don't see Shonda killing off a(nother) gay character, especially these days.