Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 07-15-2014, 02:34 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

Me, instead, I've never used or played with make up, when I was younger. I wasn't interested at all but honestly I never got all those who came to school in full make up, I mean...it's school
I blame mostly shows like GG and magazines like Glamour for make me interested in this

Oh, not so cheap I wanted to suggest you Amazon, but I see that the Australian one has only Kindle books and mobile apps. Weird. US DVDs are too expensive for you (from Amazon, I mean)?

Quote:
it is no fun walking to catch the bus in morning or walking home at night after getting off the bus, especially when the wind is like ice. But at least it doesn't snow here, that's a plus side to it
It's always fascinating that half of the world is in one season and the other in the opposite. I can't even imagine winter in July and it's weird to see Australian people celebrating Christmas on the beach
Yeah, it's not so fun here neither, in winter. I can't stand winter in general, though.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:46 AM
Graphics Team Manager

I never understood that either, it was just school to me too

Yep we've only recently actually had an Amazon store & it is very lacking. No idea about buying from the US one, then there is the region on it which wouldn't be right so I think I'd rather just buy from Australia still even though I know you can change things to make them play here still

I'm used to it but I can see the fascination in it still. It is a little funny but I keep wishing there could be some weather trading so I could have a little warmth in winter & give away some of the warmth when it is summer
What you said about Christmas amuses me as having a White Christmas is foreign to me but on the other hand I'm used to the association since there is a lot of Christmas things which have snow associated with it (E.G. songs, movies, shows, & Christmas cards) so we get a little bit of both. But anyone who actually gets Christmas in winter wouldn't have that they'd just get the winter Christmas & having a hot Christmas would be weird & foreign. The idea of spending Christmas on the beach though doesn't sound one bit interesting or appealing to me at all. I'm not THAT font of the beach & way too many people around then

I think (presuming I still have a job - I only have a three month trial at the moment) I may have to work Christmas Eve as that day isn't a public holiday & the centre is open all days except for weekends & public holidays

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 07-16-2014, 02:55 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

Quote:
I think I'd rather just buy from Australia still even though I know you can change things to make them play here still
Yeah, same. The region changing is risky to me and you can do it only for few times. I'm lucky because I can buy UK DVDs and they're fine, but often there aren't the bluray versions that I'd like (like Nikita, for example). Smash never had a UK bluray edition, sadly I see that there are blurays "free region" or "all regions" but I don't know, what if they don't work anyway?

Quote:
But anyone who actually gets Christmas in winter wouldn't have that they'd just get the winter Christmas & having a hot Christmas would be weird & foreign.
It's a matter of point of views, I guess Don't you have Australian Christmas movies without snow, etc?

Quote:
The idea of spending Christmas on the beach though doesn't sound one bit interesting or appealing to me at all. I'm not THAT font of the beach & way too many people around then
I LOVE beach, but I wouldn't spend Christmas on the beach anyway, even if it was hot

Quote:
I may have to work Christmas Eve as that day isn't a public holiday & the centre is open all days except for weekends & public holidays
Aren't the schools closed, on Christmas Eve? Shops are different, usually they're open but they close a little earlier.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:59 AM
Graphics Team Manager

Yeah I wonder about the "region free" or "all regions", ect. ones too. I don't think I'm brave enough to ever try something like that even though they should work fine. I don't think you can get Smash on BluRay here either but haven't looked as I don't have anything which will play them. I was just looking online & you can get Nikita on BluRay here. I don't think I've ever even seen that on DVD but it is available. Is there only the four seasons? Looks like at least here they're bringing it out in a boxset & for four seasons it is reasonably priced too ($80). Might keep an eye on that & one day when I don't have a long list of other things I want & need buy it

while I was on the site I checked Smash to see if there was any BluRay (I was right, there isn't) & found this. I now know what I want. If I still have my job I want to reward myself with Smash DVDs

Quote:
Don't you have Australian Christmas movies without snow, etc?
Not really. I can't think of any so if there are any they aren't ones which are played around Christmas time

Quote:
Aren't the schools closed, on Christmas Eve? Shops are different, usually they're open but they close a little earlier.
Yes & no. In Australia we have terms which are broken up by two weeks of holidays (how many terms depends on the state I think but in this state it is four). Then our school year runs from the start of the year to the end of the year & we have six weeks break between the school years. Christmas falls in that break so yes the schools are closed then. But childcare centres don't fall into that. Some are closed when schools are while others are open. This one I work at is open five days a week every week of the year except for public holidays which to me means it'd be open still on Christmas Eve since that isn't one. Plus if parents are working since their work is open/operating still they still would need somewhere to send their child. I could be wrong though

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 07-17-2014, 01:46 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

Quote:
Yeah I wonder about the "region free" or "all regions", ect. ones too. I don't think I'm brave enough to ever try something like that even though they should work fine.
Yeah, I don't want to buy a region free DVD without being sure that it works, they're not so cheap neither.

Quote:
I don't think you can get Smash on BluRay here either but haven't looked as I don't have anything which will play them.
The only Smash bluray that exist is the French one and only for S1. They didn't make it for US, but they did it for France, I'll never get that. The only thing that bothers me of that DVD is that you can't desable French subtitles for the songs. You can use the english audio and the english subtitles for anything but the songs.
Speaking of translating songs...on tv here it was weird, because sometimes they translated them and sometimes the didn't.

Quote:
I was just looking online & you can get Nikita on BluRay here. I don't think I've ever even seen that on DVD but it is available. Is there only the four seasons? Looks like at least here they're bringing it out in a boxset & for four seasons it is reasonably priced too ($80). Might keep an eye on that & one day when I don't have a long list of other things I want & need buy it
Yep, only four seasons in the UK I found the region free one of S1 and 3, while S2 and 4 are only "US import" so I can't watch them. I've already the simple DVD of S1, so I was looking for the blurays of the others, but...

By the way speaking of Nikita, S3 is on tv right now (reruns), two episodes every day (so 10 a week). We're now at episode 13, S4 will follow immediately after the end of S3. So it's someting like the "binge watching" a lot of people do but it's not so cool for me I mean you can't really appreciate a show, understanding all the meanings and the characters evolutions if you watch it like that. Especially with a show like Nikita, where nothing was like it appeared at first. I've already watched it so I remember what happens, but back then the good of it was also the fact that I could watch an episode every week. With binge watching or anyway with teo episodes every day you don't have time to make assumptions or imagine what would happen. You don't have time because the day after you're already two episodes further so you already discovered what happened it's all so fast.

S4 will end in three days. Insane

80 dollars is not so bad, for four DVDs plus boxsets look nice because all the DVDs are there together No boxsets for the UK here we don't have the DVDs of Nikita, even if it aired already several times. We have only the La Femme Nikita ones and the movie, of course (but I didn't like it).

Quote:
while I was on the site I checked Smash to see if there was any BluRay (I was right, there isn't) & found this. I now know what I want. If I still have my job I want to reward myself with Smash DVDs
Nice price! I already have the S1 one that was released here (without dubbing, if you remember), so I can't buy the set

Quote:
But childcare centres don't fall into that. Some are closed when schools are while others are open. This one I work at is open five days a week every week of the year except for public holidays which to me means it'd be open still on Christmas Eve since that isn't one. Plus if parents are working since their work is open/operating still they still would need somewhere to send their child. I could be wrong though
I see. But I guess they'll let you know in advance, right? You can't even but last minute presents, otherwise

Old 07-18-2014, 03:53 AM
Graphics Team Manager

I'm sure they do work but it just seems like a large risk, & then since things cost money...

ok that really makes no sense at all. Why make it for France & just one season? . What you said about translation makes no sense at all to me either. Why only translate some songs? I presume it costs money but it is a shame to only translate some things & not all things

what you said about binge watching makes sense. It can be fun, but I don't think I could do that with something I hadn't seen before. Especially not something like Nikita - or at least what I've seen of it. On the other hand not sure if I could just watch an episode a week or an episode a day if I bought the DVDs .

Quote:
S4 will end in three days. Insane
I know it was a short season but that sounds crazy & insane. Too fast to go through a whole season, regardless of the episode amount

That sucks about the Nikita DVDs in the UK I always hate it when they do things like that, it makes no sense & isn't fair on the fans

I hate it when you buy something then a set comes out & you then can't buy it or you buy it & then you have multiple copies of something. Maybe there was a reason for me to not buy it yet. I'm really surprised that they've put them together though since it was just two seasons & such a large gap between their release (S1 came out in Nov 2012 & S2 is coming out next month)

Quote:
I see. But I guess they'll let you know in advance, right? You can't even but last minute presents, otherwise
Yes I'll at least know the week before at the latest when the roster for that week comes out

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 07-18-2014, 01:07 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

Quote:
ok that really makes no sense at all. Why make it for France & just one season?
Yeah, I also read that in France it wasn't even a huge hit, on tv. They had both versions, DVD and BD.

Quote:
Why only translate some songs? I presume it costs money but it is a shame to only translate some things & not all things
No idea, but I had often the feeling that they translated lines without really knowing what was happening on screen, sometimes lines are missing (not translated, but the character speak). At the end of each episode appears on screen the website of the translators, I went there and I saw that they translate a lot of stuff for DVDs (shows, movies, etc). But I on't think they were accurate

Quote:
I know it was a short season but that sounds crazy & insane. Too fast to go through a whole season, regardless of the episode amount
With two episodes a day, it's fast, with six episodes in total but also 23 episodes go out in almost two weeks (from Monday to Friday). Today other two episodes aired and I recorded them because I was at the beach it seems also that they edit the episodes for the timeslot (it airs around 3 PM), because it appears written on screen before the beginning. I must have a bad memory because I don't notice anything missing but maybe it's just some blood here and there it didn't happen when it aired late at night.

Quote:
I hate it when you buy something then a set comes out & you then can't buy it or you buy it & then you have multiple copies of something.
I ended up buying the S1 DVD without waiting because we had a release here, with translated subtitles. The UK ones have only the english subtitles (wich are fine for me, it's not that difficult) and I was about to buy the UK one, but then it was released here. With Nikita I lost hope, we never had a single DVD and I doubt they will be released all together.

I wanted the BD because now I've a BD player wich let me watch tv at the same time. There I've the HD versions of the channel where Nikita airs and...in HD it's SO GOOD.

Old 07-20-2014, 02:17 AM
Graphics Team Manager

That's even stranger that they have both then if it didn't do well there

Quote:
No idea, but I had often the feeling that they translated lines without really knowing what was happening on screen, sometimes lines are missing
That's a shame that they do a lot & you don't think they are accurate then. Guess they get a lot done by not actually caring to check things

Quote:
it seems also that they edit the episodes for the timeslot (it airs around 3 PM), because it appears written on screen before the beginning. I must have a bad memory because I don't notice anything missing
We get things like that happen here because of the timeslot. Maybe because of the rating they say it but in some episodes they don't cut anything out?

Quote:
I ended up buying the S1 DVD without waiting because we had a release here, with translated subtitles.
I don't blame you for that, I would have done it too if I were you

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 07-20-2014, 12:35 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

Quote:
That's a shame that they do a lot & you don't think they are accurate then. Guess they get a lot done by not actually caring to check things
And we had to wait a lot for the DVD release, even anyway also the box cover is half translated and half not.

Quote:
Maybe because of the rating they say it but in some episodes they don't cut anything out?
No idea the only thing I noticed recently was that they cut a little one killing scene, this one (last two rows of the page). Here they didn't show the knife in her chest, they cut the frame differently (we see Nikita killing her, but then in the original scene the frame is larger and we see the knife knocked into her chest, in the edited version we don't, we just see her face dying after Nikita threw the knife). I suppose they did this with other killing scenes or scenes with a lot of blood.

It didn't happen with ER, instead, years ago. It was a prime time show here, but nothing ever appeared on screen before the episodes (and there were a lot of blood, there ).

Old 07-21-2014, 04:50 AM
Graphics Team Manager

Quote:
anyway also the box cover is half translated and half not
poor work by them then, & to make you wait makes it worse

Seems silly to cut out a death but makes some sense given the timeslot. Some cuts were probably just more obvious than others

I think with hospital shows you expect blood but you should in things like Nikita too

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 07-21-2014, 02:06 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

Yeah, I wonder why they decided to sell it here when they didn't want to do a good job

Quote:
Seems silly to cut out a death but makes some sense given the timeslot. Some cuts were probably just more obvious than others
I don't mind, honestly...I'm sure they didn't cut anything important, so

Quote:
I think with hospital shows you expect blood
But they usually air on primetime, not at 3 PM I admit that when I was a kid I was quite scared by ER, but then I got used to it I'm doing a rewatch since the beginning, even if for me it's more a "first watch", since I was too little to watch it when it started.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:24 AM
Graphics Team Manager

True they probably didn't. Here they just love cutting things even if it is important

There is that too, the time changes things. I don't know if I've ever seen ER. I think my parents watched it so I possibly saw bits of it

My internet credit is running out too fast for my liking . I don't feel well & the internet is messing up for me so not in the mood to fight it so sorry if there is a lack of posts from me tonight

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 07-22-2014, 12:57 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

ER is a HUGE show of the NBC, from a time when tv shows could go on for more than 10 seasons (it got 15). They tried to repeat its success with other medical dramas, but they always failed - I wonder if they're thinking about another one now, so they could add a third crossover show to Chicago Fire and PD if ER was still on air, that would have helped a lot the two shows.
But even if I miss ER so much, I'm not sure I'd want to see a remake of it (yeah, even if I'm a fan of a remake - Nikita - and I never got all the bad comments from the fans of the original show). Not that it's a sure news, no one talked about it...but since they said they'd like to add another crossover show to these two...everything happens in Chicago, I guess

Quote:
I don't feel well & the internet is messing up for me so not in the mood to fight it so sorry if there is a lack of posts from me tonight

Old 07-23-2014, 03:18 AM
Graphics Team Manager

I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to remake ER soon . But we have Grey's so not sure that we need another medical show right now. Don't know how the two compare though as I've only watched episodes of Grey's not ER. I at least want to see Mariska Hargitay's episodes of ER (she was in season four) one day but not sure if I could sit down & watch all 15 seasons of it that'd take a while if I did

Some shows still can last a long time but I think it is a lot harder now & the ones which do seem to last are ones which are based on things which they know work (so spin-offs & remakes). It is hard to compare shows right now though as the ones which are lasting a while are from around ten years ago (E.G. SVU is going into S16, CSI going into its 15th, NCIS is going into its 12th, Grey's Anatomy is going into its 11th) & the channels aren't about to stop them yet when they are still doing well. It is now that it is unlikely that shows are going to be on air still in ten years time . I hope that this changes though, especially for the shows just starting out

Quote:
so they could add a third crossover show to Chicago Fire and PD
They could do that . I think for now they just like crossing over with SVU though & having a three way thing with them despite the different cities. Having a hospital spin off though would make sense & fit in well. Not necessarily needed but it would fit in . Would make more sense to have three with them than having SVU connected

hmm watching The Voice Kids Australia & there are three boys singing for Delta Goodrem's heart (to get her to pick them to go through to the next round) & it is distracting me from this post . They were amusing & all could sing so don't envy her to having to pick just one

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 07-23-2014, 01:02 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

Quote:
But we have Grey's so not sure that we need another medical show right now. Don't know how the two compare though as I've only watched episodes of Grey's not ER.
I never watched Greys, but I read that it's not medical realistic and focused on emergency stuff as ER. ER had not-hospital related stuff, of course, but the emergencies were a big part of the episodes.
I'm at half season 3 right now, I can't wait to watch the first episode of S4, it's the one the NBC aired LIVE. It wasn't already filmed, it was like theatre three hours later they had to do it again for the other Coast
I watched few episodes, lately, with a 14 year-old Kirsten Dunst she plays a street girl.

Quote:
I hope that this changes though, especially for the shows just starting out
Yeah. It's incredible when you think at the fact that now if a show gets five seasons is already huge, because audience gets bored very easily. Probably it's because there's too much stuff on air, on tv, pay tv, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon etc...

Quote:
Would make more sense to have three with them than having SVU connected
SVU and CPD already crossovered honestly I already dislike these crossovers, it's fine with few episodes, but now it's getting ridiculous, don't make four different shows when they're together all the time here and there the stories fragment too much and I don't like that often to see the full story you have to watch also the other shows, when you didn't do that already. With CF and CPD they did two connected episodes, like a story started on CF and continued the following day on CPD.

Oh so Delta is a judge, there? Is she Australian?