Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2015, 12:03 AM
Graphics Team Manager

If you'd wish to bring over news & pics here too that'd be great . Also welcome
Quote:
I've never seen a more faithful stage to screen adaptation (some things are a little different but in essence, they didn't take ANYTHING out, and the small changes didn't actually change anything, the just made it fit/flow better for screen vs film) I can also tell you guys that jeremy's performance will blow you away, he even took me by surprise in a couple of scenes and you can tell that he and anna were both very passionate about the material and the movie. The whole thing very much comes across as the passion project it was, you can see the care and thought that was put into it.
That sounds amazing I'm not familiar with the musical but knowing that they've done it justice is wonderful. Then I don't have any doubts over Anna & Jeremy's performances but still wonderful to read what you had to say about it

Quote:
I was one of those who was a lot more forgiving with them, and I had no problem overlooking a lot because I just loved it so much, even when I was frustrated with some aspects.
Same

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 02-01-2015, 02:44 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

Quote:
I don't think it would be a stretch from CDs to a DVD for them to get it out.
It depends on how much people they think will buy it I'll take the soundtrack anyway, but I'd love to watch the musical again especially since I don't have the chance to see Jeremy (or any other Smash performer) live

Quote:
Yeah, the only major change is instead of the songs being in monologue, they're done singing with each other, and they're placed in a real populated world, but the intimacy of the piece still manages to stay in tact. It just adds another layer getting the other person's reaction.
Sounds nice yeah, the stage version is quite simple and keeping that on screen would have been boring

Smash already helped him getting more jobs, if only this movie had a bigger release! I'll read again your "details" after I watched it

As Chelle said, feel free to post all the stuff you want

Quote:
I know it had its flaws, but I was one of those who was a lot more forgiving with them, and I had no problem overlooking a lot because I just loved it so much, even when I was frustrated with some aspects.
Same personally I didn't even pay so much attention to all those flaws, after all. I was stunned by the performances and the fact that it was about Broadway, so the flaws weren't such a problem, for me.

Quote:
and really would have loved to see if they had a little more time and got a season 3.
We also have a thread where you can write your ideas about S3 or more

Quote:
I was able to see him in a different light knowing what i knew about how it all ended
I still have to rewatch S2 but who knows if it happens the same to me

I liked S2 overall, even though a lot of people say it was terrible. It had a slow start and it was confused, here and there, but I think I simply loved the whole story so much that I couldn't be bothered by the way they wrote it. I just miss it so much.

I don't know if you know it, but Jeremy was also at the HL concert and he was videos and stuff are in the HL thread

Old 02-04-2015, 02:58 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

Jeremy won't be in Finding Neverland on Broadway his role will be played by Matthew Morrison,

This is the news for another actress who joins the cast (and completes it), but Jeremy is not mentioned, so

Complete Casting Announced for Finding Neverland on Broadway; Teal Wicks to Play Mary Barrie | Broadway Buzz | Broadway.com

Found an article

http://variety.com/2014/legit/news/m...ay-1201352505/

I wonder if it's true that they cast Morrison because he's more known than Jeremy. I hope not (although these things are far from uncommon on Broadway, sadly).

Old 02-05-2015, 01:20 AM
Graphics Team Manager

#Wouldn't be surprised if that was true but such a shame

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 02-05-2015, 02:56 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

Yeah I think the last time he was on Broadway was for Newsies, right? He was so happy to find out about the Broadway transfert

It seems also Jennifer Hudson isn't in the cast. I wonder why she sang that song at the Tonys, then.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:51 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

Quote:
Jeremy Jordan, Ben Platt & More Set for BROADWAY LOVES SAM SMITH at 54 Below, 4/5

On April 5th, ten of Broadway's most distinctive vocalists will celebrate four-time Grammy award winner Sam Smith at 54 Below in a concert of his signature songs of heartbreak, loss, and hope in Broadway Loves Sam Smith.

Last night, at the 57th Annual Grammy Awards, Smith took home the coveted trophies for Best New Artist, Record of the Year and Song of the Year for his breakthrough single "Stay With Me," and Best Pop Vocal Album for his platinum-selling debut, "In The Lonely Hour."

The 22-year-old British songwriter describes his album as his "way of defining 'what is love,' and how unrequited love is just as painful, just as powerful, as what we call 'normal' love." The star-studded cast of Broadway Loves Sam Smith will bring this emotional truth to the stage with the hit singles "Stay With Me," "Latch," "I'm Not The Only One," "Lay Me Down," and more fan favorites in an unforgettable evening of song.

The starry cast is set to include Tony Award nominee Jeremy Jordan ('The Last 5 Years,' Newsies), Ben Platt ('Pitch Perfect,' The Book of Mormon), Carrie Manolakos (Wicked, Mamma Mia!), Ben Fankhauser (Newsies), Zak Resnick (Mamma Mia!, Piece of My Heart: The Bert Berns Story), Meghann Fahy ('One Life To Live,' Next to Normal), Adrienne Warren ('Orange Is The New Black,' Bring It On), Janet Krupin (If/Then, Bring It On), Jason Gotay (NBC's 'Peter Pan Live,' Bring It On), and Natalie Weiss (Everyday Rapture, Les Miserables).

The band will feature Mairi Dorman-Phaneuf on the cello, Justin Goldner on the bass, David Cinquegrana on the guitar, Shannon Ford on the drums, and music director Benjamin Rauhala on the piano. The evening will be produced and directed by Rauhala.

Broadway Loves Sam Smith will be presented on April 5th, 2015 for two performances only - at 7PM and 9:30PM. This is the fifth concert in the Broadway Loves series, which previously celebrated Celine Dion, the Spice Girls, Britney Spears, and the music of the 90's.

Ticket prices start at $35 with a $25 food and beverage minimum, and are available to 54 Below's Insider e-mail list starting today, February 9th. Tickets go on sale to the general public on February 11th. 54 Below is located at 254 W. 54th Street. For more information and tickets, call (646) 476-3551 or visit 54Below.com
source

Old 02-20-2015, 01:54 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

https://twitter.com/JeremyMJordan/st...44794953244672

http://t.co/lRmpSUMMpG

Old 02-21-2015, 03:24 AM
Graphics Team Manager

Exciting

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 02-21-2015, 01:18 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

The movie has been released in all these cinemas:

Old 02-24-2015, 12:40 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Heartstopper

So much going on for him!
nick ♥ charlie
jordan ○ icon
Old 02-25-2015, 02:00 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

Quote:
Jeremy Jordan Has Learned From The Mistakes Of “Smash”

He’s at the top of his game in the indie movie musical The Last Five Years, but the actor tells BuzzFeed News he wouldn’t be there without the learning experience that was NBC’s musical series.

“I don’t know if it’s the low brow or the dark features, but people tend to want to cast me as that brooding, kind of *******-y dark character,” Jeremy Jordan told BuzzFeed News in a suite at Beverly Hills’ Four Seasons Hotel, alluding to his much maligned role as tortured composer Jimmy Collins on the infamous musical drama Smash. “And that’s not who I am, by any means.”

His latest role in the new movie musical The Last Five Years, however, hits much closer to home. “Jamie is definitely much closer to me than Jimmy is,” Jordan said of his latest character, who masks much of his narcissism with undeniable charm.

Jamie is one-half of the couple at the center of the indie film adaptation of Jason Robert Brown’s beloved off-Broadway musical, opposite Anna Kendrick’s Cathy. She begins the film at the end of their failed relationship and works backward, while Jamie’s narrative proceeds chronologically.

The Last Five Years’ complicated structure — starting at opposite ends of the timeline, Jamie and Cathy sing each song individually except for when they meet in the middle — is almost destined to confuse audiences lacking familiarity with the source material. But the thrill of The Last Five Years is that, because it’s a movie musical for people who love musicals, it doesn’t have to be easy.

“We didn’t have big Hollywood executives in our ears telling us we have to do this and we have to follow these guidelines. We followed the script. We followed the music and lyrics that Jason put down for us, and we created the world out of what we were given, and that’s all we wanted to do,” Jordan said. “We don’t pretend to be anything that we’re not. We made this movie with the lovers of the show, and with theater lovers in mind, because that’s who we are. We wanted to make a movie that those people would love, because often those people are the most vocally critical of movie musical adaptations.”

And if anyone would know, it’s Jordan. While The Last Five Years is his first major movie musical, he’s already experienced his fair share of backlash over NBC’s Smash, a show that both thrilled and horrified die-hard Broadway fans. It was a series that managed to fluctuate between surprising authenticity and disaster — and Jordan’s Jimmy, a second (and final) season addition, was one of the biggest points of contention.

“I’ve learned the consequences in the modern age of social media of playing a character that people don’t like,” Jordan said. “They forget that it’s not you. It’s not me! I think that did help drive me a little more toward making Jamie more likable and understanding, although I would have done that anyway. It gave me a greater understanding of how to do that.” And while The Last Five Years ultimately seems to fall on Cathy’s side, Jordan is still likable enough to eschew the kind of online vitriol that tainted his experience on Smash.

The series’s problems began before he joined — original showrunner Theresa Rebeck was fired after a troubled first season — but Jordan didn’t hesitate to acknowledge Season 2’s many shortcomings, and how Jimmy played into that.

“He was angry all the time,” the actor said with a laugh. “It might have been a little bit meta for some of the writers, kind of infusing their own personal anger toward the whole process and debacle that was the backstage goings-on of Smash into one character.”

Beyond Jimmy, one of Smash’s biggest flaws was trying to be a show for everyone — a niche backstage drama about musical theater that awkwardly infused Top 40 hits and a soap opera sensibility to broaden its otherwise limited appeal. The result was, to put it mildly, a mixed bag.

“How do you make a show with completely original material that nobody knows work and really have an impact? I do believe there’s a great way of doing that, and they couldn’t find it,” Jordan admitted. “And it’s because everybody had different ideas of how to go about it. I think a show like that needed to have a singular vision, and it had about 14.”

If Smash were to work, Jordan posited, it would have had to embrace its limited audience, something his latest film clearly did. In contrast to the Steven Spielberg-produced series, those behind The Last Five Years knew it was never going to be a mainstream hit, and accepting and even playing into that was ultimately more important to the cast and creative team than making the film more accessible.

“You can’t go in expecting it to be just another musical that you’re gonna have a lighthearted time and watch people sing and you’re gonna roll your eyes here and there. It’s not that. It’s a real story about people that you’re gonna connect with that’s going to leave you talking and questioning, and it just happens to be sung through,” Jordan said. “We didn’t make Last Five Years to be a blockbuster hit, and we don’t expect it to be. We know that a lot of people aren’t going to run and sit down and want to be taken through this journey, because of whatever expectations they might have. But we know the people that do want to do it, and that are going to, and we want to give that to them.”

And even with Smash a couple years behind him, recognizing his own failings on the series helped Jordan bring new levels of depth and pathos to Jamie in The Last Five Years. He’s quick to acknowledge that Jimmy was not his best role and he candidly admitted that, at times, rewatching himself on Smash was a “cringeworthy” experience. But without Jimmy, Jordan’s well-rounded portrayal of Jamie might never have happened.

“I was finally understanding how what I felt on set [on Smash] began to translate through the camera and as a viewer,” Jordan said. “Every time I see myself, I find something that I can improve upon … It helped me to make Jamie more [relatable], and I think I will continue to [grow].”
http://www.buzzfeed.com/louispeitzma...ash#.qvej63nMx

Old 03-01-2015, 01:16 AM
Graphics Team Manager

Thanks for the article, it was a really interesting read. I completely agree with what he had to say too, which is a shame

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 03-02-2015, 02:09 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

I really don't know how to feel reading him saying those things about his character, even though he's right. I expect actors "defending" their characters, even when no one likes them. He did it at first, so now it's weird to read him saying that he basically didn't like anything about Jimmy = the writers' work. But then I wonder why he stayed so close to Safran, when he was the showrunner and surely influenced the plots (but we know that the main problem of S2 was that there were too many heads in the writers' room)

This thing is interesting, though:

Quote:
“It might have been a little bit meta for some of the writers, kind of infusing their own personal anger toward the whole process and debacle that was the backstage goings-on of Smash into one character.”
because I think that it wasn't just his character, doing that, but there were other details here and there wich, to me, were used in that sense: and the audience (the critics too) didn't like that, because it doesn't feel nice to see a show wich tries so bad to "reply" to critics in its storylines and characters, being like 'see? it's not how you said, we can do this!' all the time.

Quote:
If Smash were to work, Jordan posited, it would have had to embrace its limited audience, something his latest film clearly did. In contrast to the Steven Spielberg-produced series, those behind The Last Five Years knew it was never going to be a mainstream hit, and accepting and even playing into that was ultimately more important to the cast and creative team than making the film more accessible.
But it shouldn't have been on NBC, then. This works more with a web series or a Netflix one. With some work maybe on a cable, too. But I can't really imagine a series about Broadway - the big Broadway! - being like an indie film like TL5Y. Doing a show like this on NBC, addressing only to the Broadway people, well...I'm not sure it would have worked.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:09 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

New pilot for him!

Quote:
"Supergirl" Casts Jeremy Jordan as DC's Toyman

"Smash" star Jeremy Jordan has been cast as Winslow “Winn” Schott, better known to DC Comics readers as Toyman, in CBS's "Supergirl."

According to TheWrap, the 30-year-old stage actor will guest star in the pilot, with the potential for a recurring role, as an IT whiz who works with Kara (Melissa Benoist) at CatCo, the company owned by Cat Grant (Calista Flockhart). An early character breakdown described Winslow as a 20-something genius and "Comic-Con stalwart" who develops a crush on Kara.

A Tony Award-nominated Broadway performer whose credits include "Newsies," "Bonnie & Clyde" and "Rock of Ages," Jordan can be seen opposite Anna Kendrick in the musical comedy-drama "The Last Five Years."

He joins a rapidly expanding "Supergirl" cast that also includes Mehcad Brooks as Jimmy Olsen, Laura Benanti as Alura Zor-El, Calista Flockhart as Cat Grant, Chlyer Leigh as Supergirl's sister Alex, David Harewood as Hank Henshaw, and Dean Cain and Helen Slater in unrevealed roles.

Hailing from Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television, which also produce The CW's "Arrow" and "The Flash," the "Supergirl" pilot is pegged as "a near-lock" for pickup by CBS. Greg Berlanti and Ali Adler wrote the pilot and will executive produce alongside Sarah Schecter and Andrew Kreisberg.
source

Old 03-09-2015, 02:10 AM
Graphics Team Manager

Good news for him . What is this interest in making superhero things though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by airali_glo (View Post)
I really don't know how to feel reading him saying those things about his character, even though he's right. I expect actors "defending" their characters, even when no one likes them. He did it at first, so now it's weird to read him saying that
I completely agree with this. It is strange, but I still like having some truth out there & agree with what was said.

Quote:
I think that it wasn't just his character, doing that, but there were other details here and there wich, to me, were used in that sense: and the audience (the critics too) didn't like that, because it doesn't feel nice to see a show wich tries so bad to "reply" to critics in its storylines and characters, being like 'see? it's not how you said, we can do this!' all the time.
Exactly. I don't think his character was the only 'issue' or the only place there was anger & frustration. There were too many people & too many people trying to please everyone that they ended up not pleasing anyone. Jimmy did get hit with a lot of negative storylines & angry moments though which possibly was the writers taking some frustration out

Quote:
But it shouldn't have been on NBC, then. This works more with a web series or a Netflix one. With some work maybe on a cable, too. But I can't really imagine a series about Broadway - the big Broadway! - being like an indie film like TL5Y. Doing a show like this on NBC, addressing only to the Broadway people, well...I'm not sure it would have worked.
I agree with you there. It is highly unlikely that they would have tried doing it the same way TL5Y was done, but if they had I do think it could have gone better

Chelle » join GTmy art