Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2005, 08:23 PM
Master Fan

I'm also liking this new show. I wasn't too sure about it at first, but I am slowly getting hooked on this show. I find it interesting, and I look foward to see what the writers come up with in terms of storylines, and the battle between good and evil.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:42 PM
Loyal Fan

i can see why Fox liked the show with the second episode. The storyline is seeming to steady moving along and its very intriguing. The main actress, Elisabeth Harnois, even though her performance was not top notch , but i think as the show progresses, she will get comforable with the role.

Point Pleasant did great last night, for a show such as itself on FOX - 8.0/11 in the overnights, 11.68 million viewers, and coming out at #3 for the night. (tvtome)

I don't really see its as the OC. The OC is, IMO, a totally different show. As long as PP don't get into the teen angsy and stuff like that, its can stand on it only feet. I can see why the story is set in NJ, the town is such a mystery and the darkness of it.

It seems like the half of the show is soap stars.

RIP JoJo. Love you. Best friend that anybody can have.

Last edited by fate2doom; 01-20-2005 at 08:53 PM
Old 01-20-2005, 09:05 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.simpatico
Also as a native NYer who lives minutes away from New Jersey I never knew it looked so much like California. Only in Hollywood.
I actually like in NJ and I was wondering the same thing. Only in Hollywood.

I decided to give the show a chance, and I watched it both nights. IMO, it was pretty good actually. Not the greatest thing I've ever seen, but it's okay. I like the fact that it's different from all the other shows I've ever watched. Keeps me interested.

Thanks to dirtyfootprints for the avi
Old 01-20-2005, 10:18 PM
Obsessed Fan

Tonight's episode was definitely better than the Pilot and I can see why Fox bought it based on this one alone (assuming it was just this one).

The show isn't the greatest, overall, but it is entertaining to the point that I will watch it untilt it either gets canceled and or just starts becoming too weird or cliched.

The big issue here is not originality... Because if you use that excuse, half of the shows that people here like could be lumped into the same boat, I.E. The O.C.; The Mountain -- Worst show EVER in my opinion -- Lost (Survivor meets Michael Chriton Novel) which is full of cliched characters, etc, etc.

What I think PP needs to work on is the execution and presentation and while this may seem like a simple "to do"... It actually is not because networks like Fox dictate pretty much what goes into the show aside from the actual storylines. This is how it is at ALL networks. This is how it was with Joss Whedon and BTVS at both WB and UPN as well.

Let's take an example:

Imagine you are the writers/producers of PP.

You have this great story with a killer concept that you want to ease the audience into and be subtle and not overly cliched in the process. So, you write this really kick ass script with the Daughter of Satan, a small New Jersey town, some really fleshed out characters and you hand it in to the Studio Liason for approval.

About a day later, you get the script back with the fabeld "studio notes" -- which are little post-its and red marker strewn through out your "masterpiece".

Some of these notes and post-its say things like...

Why is the girl evil? Why does she have the powers she has? Pg. 13 - We need a shot of her in a bikini in slow motion. Pg. 35 - Too much dialogue. More make-out scenes. Too slow. Act II - Too slow. Punch it up. Act III - She's evil and nothing blows up? Fix it. Someone has to die each episode!

These are some of the REAL notes that writers get when working on mainstream shows like this. I know because I've gotten them when I was hired to write script for a low budget production company... And half of them are inane things that assume the audience is:

A) Stupid

B) Has the attention span of a gnat and needs sex, violence and or a combination of the two to keep their attention.

So, my point is...

For those of you who don't like the show, fine.

But I just want to shed light on some of the realities of this business and just getting a show like this on the air in ANY form as they are monumental.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:28 PM
Elite Fan

I actually found tonight's episode to be even better. I loved more characterization and Grant Show is just creepy.

Yay for more Christina/Judy subtext and looks of longing. Anybody actually think that Judy might be bi? Just me?

Last edited by ~*Nikki*~; 01-20-2005 at 10:39 PM
Old 01-20-2005, 10:53 PM
Loyal Fan

I'm glad some people are enjoying this show. As a huge fan of Buffy I feel guilty that I don't. But, well, I need good pacing in a show, some interesting characters, and this show is lacking in both. Too bad, it had such an interesting premise.

So, for all those who do like it - good for you. Enjoy it some for me since I appear unable to.
- Indigo Girls
Old 01-21-2005, 09:02 AM
Master Fan

I'm enjoying the show. It isn't great yet - too much teen sexual drama - but it's good. I like the premise, and I like some of they main characters (Christina and Judy, possibly Jesse). The bad guy is kinda cool also.

It isn't American Gothic. But I'm definitely going to watch the next ep.

Old 01-21-2005, 09:47 AM
Obsessed Fan

I made some avatars..i love this show its the best show since tru calling..i think..

. . . . . .
Old 01-21-2005, 10:52 AM
Ultimate Fan

Lyndsi : i love the avators i snagged 2 of them!
Old 01-21-2005, 11:17 AM
Loyal Fan

I like the show. I really do. But everything is happening to fast. Jesse and Christina are already making out? The mom's obsession with Christina is weird. And really... like someone else said; Who lets someone fished out of the sea live in their home, and take over your dead daughters place? Well, that’s what it felt like to me.

It doesn't really feel like a TV series, it feels more like a movie with bad cliffhangers.

And the whole "What does that sign mean?" Duh, I knew it was 666 the whole time, who didn't?

But, oddly, like I said before, I liked the show.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:33 AM
Addicted Fan

I am so enjoying this show! I taped the second episode, so I will post up thoughts about that after I watch it.

I think that even though the show is moving fast - it does has the potential to keep on digging up more interesting episodes to keep us hooked!

Not to mention Jesse (Sam Page) is such a hottie and that makes the show also enjoyable to watch.

I am a native New Jerseyan, and I have family who actually live in Point Pleasant. Its about a hour to a hour half drive to get there.

I just remembered to mention that I am liking Grant Show playing a creepy person.

"No matter what kind of day I am having butterflies will always help me cope."
Old 01-21-2005, 11:42 AM
Absolute Fan

Well the second episode was definitely better then the pilot. Things did move a little fast between Christina/Jesse, but that was the whole point, right? When Chrsitina came to town, everyone started acting different, hence Jesse being so drawn to her. I'm glad they decided to not go there though. More than likely it will happen at some point, but it would have been way to early.

The only similarity I see with PP and OC is that there is a beach and beautiful people.

The acting does need some improvement, but I'm sure that it will improve with each episode. Actors need time to adjust and fit into their roles.

I'm glad that it received good ratings. A lot of the OC viewers probably stuck around to see it.

ETA... Thanks ~*Nikki*~ for requesting Point Pleasant on the request board.

Angel- I love you. I try not to, but I can't stop. Buffy- Me, me, too. I can't either.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:46 AM
Obsessed Fan

Yea it is kinda fast the whole making out thing and then the whole MOM obsession is really really creepy and then when all the people keep getting killed i know thats the point but why's they kill a priest and 666 is the mark of the beast so i guess that means that her mom was a virgin pregnated by the devil right?..so that would make her and God opposites.. hmm...heres another avi..im making lots more but its taking me awhile to get ideas....
Old 01-21-2005, 11:51 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsilentMajorty
The big issue here is not originality... Because if you use that excuse, half of the shows that people here like could be lumped into the same boat, I.E. The O.C.; The Mountain -- Worst show EVER in my opinion -- Lost (Survivor meets Michael Chriton Novel) which is full of cliched characters, etc, etc.
That's exactly why I hardly watch tv. Right now the only shows I watch are Nip/Tuck, The Real World and sometimes the RW/RR Challenge.

I don't even bother watching Pilots anymore. This show made me remember why.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:34 PM
Obsessed Fan

more avatars:
. . .