Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2017, 08:42 PM
Fan Forum Star

So I guess 2017 is the year that DS got married.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:04 AM
Dedicated Fan

That's insane that we have now caught up to the flash forward lol this show seems a lot older now!!

I've been made to watch season 5 as well, and for something I thought I'd never watch again, I actually don't mind the first half.. Louis and 'bleugh' (and with his mum and sister on top that's Bleugh x3, which is unbearable/hilarious) are boring AF, but I am enjoying chucks growth, it's a lot more subtle and well written than I remember actually. Dan is already so annoying which is frustrating. He just indulges in so much self pity and blames everyone except himself for his situation he's in with that novel. Especially Serena. And I've been trying to watch it objectively, and he's got some funny moments, but overall he's lost a lot what I liked about him in the first season. Although that DS scene in 5x05 definitely tugged at my heartstrings! they still hsve the magic but I just wish they didn't change Dan so awfully. S changes too I know but I'm only up to 5x10, and so far I have liked her scenes, I loved the baby shower episode and how they all duped B into thinking she had some trashy shaved ice/food truck gathering , and See her struggling to juggle work with her friendship with Blair. I also like how determined she is to succeed at her film production career. Which she's just been fired from lol and that's the start of her depressive spiral into a shut-in gossip girl wannabe. I should Just stop watching here or I'll ruin my friends first-watch with my moaning
Old 03-06-2017, 07:00 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I don't like charlie/diana/nate triangle in season 5. I'm on 5.08 almost done with 5.07.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:24 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysjolex (View Post)
That's insane that we have now caught up to the flash forward lol this show seems a lot older now!!

I've been made to watch season 5 as well, and for something I thought I'd never watch again, I actually don't mind the first half.. Louis and 'bleugh' (and with his mum and sister on top that's Bleugh x3, which is unbearable/hilarious) are boring AF, but I am enjoying chucks growth, it's a lot more subtle and well written than I remember actually. Dan is already so annoying which is frustrating. He just indulges in so much self pity and blames everyone except himself for his situation he's in with that novel. Especially Serena. And I've been trying to watch it objectively, and he's got some funny moments, but overall he's lost a lot what I liked about him in the first season. Although that DS scene in 5x05 definitely tugged at my heartstrings! they still hsve the magic but I just wish they didn't change Dan so awfully. S changes too I know but I'm only up to 5x10, and so far I have liked her scenes, I loved the baby shower episode and how they all duped B into thinking she had some trashy shaved ice/food truck gathering , and See her struggling to juggle work with her friendship with Blair. I also like how determined she is to succeed at her film production career. Which she's just been fired from lol and that's the start of her depressive spiral into a shut-in gossip girl wannabe. I should Just stop watching here or I'll ruin my friends first-watch with my moaning
My primariy issue with S5 is not DB, its how much they changed dan and had him be mean to Serena to pimp them that bothers me. But, I also blame most of this on Josh Safran and his opposing vision. He tried to do a show within a show not only on GG but also with that singing show on NBC
Old 03-06-2017, 10:59 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Safran as a showrunner had a very poor vision of the show.

Yes DS gets married this year (on December if we take the air date for the series finale as their wedding date). And CB are happily married for 5 years and there is Henry

Did you guys watch Leighton's new show Making History? It was quite enjoyable for me. It has a lot of holes but they already said it's historically inaccurate But also the pilot had some technical holes in it too. I liked Leighton's character Deborah so far. She is a badass. I also like Adam and Yassir too, they have too much chemistry

Cute Leighton interviews:

Leighton loves 1920s too, so does Ed as he once said My leighted heart

Quote:
Especially because she's the lead!! Well a co-lead with B but still! The series started with her, she was the first shot! What infuriates me is when the writers stopped treating her as such. Now I love Blair as much as everyone else, she'll always be my favourite, but In the first season Serena was written EXTREMELY well - they put just as much effort into her stories as Blair's. Everyone has favourites it's only natural, and Leighton is exceptional but I think the writers listened and catered FAR too much to the fandom, and I think one of the biggest consequences was the way they wrote and saw Serena. I think the writers started to see her the way she was portrayed in dans novel, whereas I've always thought she is FAR more complicated than people give her credit for, and they never bothered to touch on that to the extent they could've. The end result was the result you described CK, and I think it's just horrendous when you watch season 1 and see how lovable, bright and excited about the future she is, to then be the only one to end up without any career prospects. It's makes me so mad too

That parallel is so interesting !!
OMG I completely agree with you! The way they've written Serena in first two seaons and later on is totally different. And honestly I've always wanted to see her in her element as well, which was LA. I always loved when Serena shined tbh. My favorite is Blair too but I never thought she was nicer than Serena as acharacter. She was just much more fun to me and more layered.

Quote:

Season 5 first half is still GG and blairable But the second half till 5x22... no thank you I will never ever watch that lackluster again.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:09 PM
New Fan

My GG Heart

Gossip Girl was my favourite show for so long. I was deeply immersed in the fandom and crushed when it ended. Riverdale is now the closest thing I have to that feeling. The theorising, the anxiety of waiting for the next episode. I love and miss this feeling.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:09 AM
Fan Forum Star

Hopefully Riverdale wont get ruined he way GG was.

I have never rewatched seasons 5/6 and not sure if I ever will. I just watch the DB/DB scenes and I'm good.

I wont be watching Leightons new show, does not look like my cup of tea at all.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:42 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyLover (View Post)
Gossip Girl was my favourite show for so long. I was deeply immersed in the fandom and crushed when it ended. Riverdale is now the closest thing I have to that feeling. The theorising, the anxiety of waiting for the next episode. I love and miss this feeling.
Awwww welcome fellow GG fan! You are new here but were on other boards for GG?

I miss those days too even tho it was somewhat torturous too haha now we laugh about it mostly

Awww NJBC

Ed is their number 1 actor to play next Dr. Who!
https://nerdrotic.com/2017/03/04/ner...new-dr-who-is/

Also! Happy international women's day!

You're Blair Waldorf. Fortitude is your talent. Stay strong.
And you are Serena van der Woodsen. You deserve a guy who would move mountains to be with you if he had to.

Last edited by lessismore; 03-08-2017 at 03:11 PM
Old 03-09-2017, 07:50 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds44 (View Post)
My primariy issue with S5 is not DB, its how much they changed dan and had him be mean to Serena to pimp them that bothers me. But, I also blame most of this on Josh Safran and his opposing vision. He tried to do a show within a show not only on GG but also with that singing show on NBC
I agree with you Shu. I have always loved the kind and gentle Dan, thats' not what I'm seeing in season 5 and 6. Dan used to be so funny and dorky, I love when he used to be into poetry and it was nice for him to see the inside as an outsider. Also he was romantic and lovable. He made Serena a better person. such a good influence. He dropped everything to be there when Serena needed him most, more than anyone. This is what I love about Dan. That's not the qualities I see in season 5 and 6 when it comes to Serena. He used to care so much about her.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:13 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

I think I am gonna bounce because it's become the 50 ways Dan sucks or got ruined thread. While I love the adoring Dan, let's not act like he beat Serena. She was not perfect and hurt him too. My impatience with s5 Dan has not that much to do with how he treated s cause a part of me thinks she deserved it after how she treated him during all of season 4. My issue was watching him lose his spoilers no and be bossed around by a girl who treated him like garbage except for when it was convenient to her. I am dirty but I think half the rhetoric is so overblown. While I was unhappy with parts of the show neither Dan or ds was ruined for me and I guess it's been five years and I am tired of defending it.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:23 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I know how you feel Shu. I have always loved Dan too, yes he made mistakes, but he is still my favorite and yes I don't like how they wrote Serena in later seasons as was mentioned before on this thread. She still was my favorite female, it just seemed season 5 was a season of random guest stars who weren't necessary.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:39 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
OMG I completely agree with you! The way they've written Serena in first two seaons and later on is totally different. And honestly I've always wanted to see her in her element as well, which was LA. I always loved when Serena shined tbh. My favorite is Blair too but I never thought she was nicer than Serena as acharacter. She was just much more fun to me and more layered.
Aw I loved the LA scenes!! Her and Nate were definitely in their element, California definitely agrees with them lol!! and chuck looks good anywhere haha! Yeah deff agree I enjoyed when Serena shined as well, and as much as I hated them fighting pointlessly, the Serena/Blair Yale fight was actually really well written and it stemmed from the B!tchy Serena we got at the end of episde 4 which was GOLD! i loved queen S haha, As short as her reign was she definitely didn't even want to be queen lol, the whole time she was 'in power' she was super pissed at Dan, and While I can see where she was coming from with Blair to an extent, as she always was conscious of Blair's feelings, she was a bit belligerent and callous about it, and it didn't help That poppy was blowing her trumpet! Its so funny that as soon as Serena refocuses and is happy, and they're friends again - She shows zero interest in being queen haha. i don't think she ever truly cared for it, I always see her as pretty carefree and breezing in and out of that clique when she wants, and sits there coz of Blair - consistent Ruling is much more Blair's thing haha. Yeah I love them both, I don't like comparing them as they're so different, but there's something about Blair that's really special So Blair's my favourite too, but I always defend Serena as well as I feel like she gets a lot of misguided hate :/

Quote:
I agree with you Shu. I have always loved the kind and gentle Dan, thats' not what I'm seeing in season 5 and 6. Dan used to be so funny and dorky, I love when he used to be into poetry and it was nice for him to see the inside as an outsider. Also he was romantic and lovable. He made Serena a better person. such a good influence. He dropped everything to be there when Serena needed him most, more than anyone. This is what I love about Dan. That's not the qualities I see in season 5 and 6 when it comes to Serena. He used to care so much about her.
I agree with this, I really enjoyed Dan when he was they way you described him here! He did make Serena want to be someone who people can rely on, and he did bring that side out of her for sure yeah, I didn't like the change as well as we've been mentioning, it's just a real shame.

Also Ds44 I'm sorry you feel that way, or if you've been bothered by comments about dan - I think everyone has characters they like or dislike on this show and for the most part I think people have been reasonably respectful recently, as in there's no flat out hate or anything, mainly discussion, and I think most of the comments stem from annoyance at the writers for the way they decided to go with these characters, and not the characters themselves. That's how I feel anyway! I don't hate any character (except Vanessa lol), and while I was pissed at season 5, and couldn't really stomach the second half, I am definitely happy that DS and CB got their happy ending! I just wish they had gone about the last 2 seasons in a different way and with more effort into their characterisations. It bothered me that they blew everyone to hell in the season 5 finale and didn't care enough to invest effort into properly writing resolutions.

But there's definitely more positives to this show than negatives and maybe we're getting too heavy with the discussion and losing sight of it haha.

I saw an article today that ranked the CW shows, and gossip girl was number 15, and I was so annoyed lol especially because shows like the Carrie diaries were ahead of it!! I mean wtf! so while it has its issues, this show as a whole is still one of the best teen tv dramas I think, and seasons 1&2 are just pure win
Old 03-11-2017, 02:52 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Also Ds44 I'm sorry you feel that way, or if you've been bothered by comments about dan - I think everyone has characters they like or dislike on this show and for the most part I think people have been reasonably respectful recently, as in there's no flat out hate or anything, mainly discussion, and I think most of the comments stem from annoyance at the writers for the way they decided to go with these characters, and not the characters themselves. That's how I feel anyway! I don't hate any character (except Vanessa lol), and while I was pissed at season 5, and couldn't really stomach the second half, I am definitely happy that DS and CB got their happy ending! I just wish they had gone about the last 2 seasons in a different way and with more effort into their characterisations. It bothered me that they blew everyone to hell in the season 5 finale and didn't care enough to invest effort into properly writing resolutions.
I understand all that. I guess I am just tired. I spent the entirety of the show's run defending him and it just has gotten old.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:46 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds44 (View Post)
I understand all that. I guess I am just tired. I spent the entirety of the show's run defending him and it just has gotten old.
Yeah I get that! I felt the same about chuck haha, so I know what you mean. It's crazy though and this is probably the only show where this is possible, but I really feel like I can watch the first 2 seasons and it's like I mentally separate them from the rest of the show. Because everyone was so much better then, and if you didn't like someone you at least understood their motivations! I love living in that bubble haha
Old 03-11-2017, 03:49 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Yeah I get that! I felt the same about chuck haha, so I know what you mean. It's crazy though and this is probably the only show where this is possible, but I really feel like I can watch the first 2 seasons and it's like I mentally separate them from the rest of the show. Because everyone was so much better then, and if you didn't like someone you at least understood their motivations! I love living in that bubble haha
While Season 3 bored me, I felt I mostly enjoyed the first 3 and half seasons or atleast understood the story. S1 and 2 are so special to me though. I love rewatching them and it puts a big smile on my face. I guess at the end of the day that's why we are all here. We have an attachment to these characters and relationships.