Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2015, 02:06 PM
Fan Forum Star

Felicity #21 - "I had you pegged as this uptight, no-fun, follow-the-rules kiss-ass bore."

Welcome to the 21st Felicity Appreciation Thread

"Sometimes it's the smallest decisions that can pretty much change your life forever."

Supporters:
bbcountry
metal heart
+supernova+
Ruby_Slippers
Cindy3138
Keyser_Soze
-CrazyBeautiful-
2Nickels
cherrios
shu (covington)
marilyn7
dawnygirl (speedmansgirl)
smoothaise (Ken)
sweetee
Crystaline
Soniagranelli
BC100
PinkPastry
_virgo_
erinw
girl in a cardigan
storm2516
ROCKSTAR
xxlisaxx
The Idiot
*Erin*
faith grows old
Wildfire Girl
haley4
NikitaWitter
clelia78
PhillyFan24
amjustkadee
Emily
Nelcy
SergeantPepper
naceprettub
Natih_Fate
mjw11
Joella
gizzie_fan
Lilac4381
diana5
courtneybangelcakes
wbjunkie
shiftmyshape
sailaway
Fortyseven
Katie_Holmes
Ali Marie
*Juli*
milestogo
H O T Spike_Angel
varjak-golightly
LostEvi
MTVVJ08
snowfalkes11
rainydays
walkin' with a ghost
LadyNoussa
J.R. MacReady
ghjnj
MBfan19
ash492
Sirblood
DanceWithLife
raphi1860
phoemster
billerophon
LP_Symmetry
AdriaMichelle
julia90
laurenfan1
Jenni Lou
jjandrd
Crystaline
Writergurl
tell me a lie (alexa)

Previous Threads:
1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10
11 / 12 / 13 / 14 / 15 / 16 / 17 / 18 / 19 / 20

Other Threads:
Ben & Felicity | 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 |
Noel & Felicity | 1 / 2 |
Extras | 90s' Board thread / Campaign Thread |

General Information/Official Sites
NoelCrane.com
Felicity - Wikipedia.org
TV.com: Felicity – includes full episode guide
Felicity at the Internet Movie Database

Unofficial+Fan Sites:
Felicity Fan Page on Tumblr
Felicity Anonymous
Sweater Icons: A Felicity Icon Community
Felicity_Icons
Boggled!love: The Noel/Felicity shippers community
Felicity Transcripts
Felicity Tunes.com
Felicity Links (Links to old websites)
A Felicity Page / Felicitypage.com
Amy Jo Johnson & Cerina Vincent on Felicity - (After The Power: A Power Rangers Blog)

Quotes:
"Sometimes it's the smallest decisions that can pretty much change your life forever." - Felicity
"Maybe getting over someone you’re in love with isn’t impossible. Unless, maybe you don’t actually get over it. Maybe you just learn to live with it." - Felicity
"Do you know what I definitely believe in? Fate -- that things happen for a reason." - Felicity
"When your heart gets broken, you sort of see the cracks in everything." - Sally
"Our best decisions, the ones that we never regret, come from listening to ourselves." - Sally
"Love is complicated -- full of sacrifice and compromise. But maybe that’s the best part." - Sally
"I've become a real believer in not defining every single thing. Seems like everytime you think you've figured out what something is, it just becomes something else." - Sally
"If equal affection cannot be, let the more loving one be me (W.H. Auden)." - Sally
"Sometimes in a relationship, going through hell isn't so bad if you come out of it a little stronger. The same is true about friends." - Sally
"Sometimes bad things just happen -- no reason, no purpose. They just occur and we're left to pick up the pieces the best we can." - Sally

Felicity was a Golden Globe-winning American primetime television drama produced by Touchstone Television and Imagine Television for The WB network. The series revolved around the fictional college experiences of the title character, Felicity Porter (played by Keri Russell), as she attended the "University of New York", based on New York University, across the country from her home of Palo Alto, California. The show ran for four seasons from 1998 to 2002, with each season corresponding to the traditional freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior years students attend at universities. The series was created by J. J. Abrams and Matt Reeves. Notable guest directors included Brian Grazer and Ron Howard.

A recurring episode opener of the show was a stark camera shot of Felicity sitting in a dorm room or apartment holding a tape recorder, recalling events in order to make a cassette tape to send to an old friend named Sally Reardon (voiced by Janeane Garofalo). This occasionally provided a method for Felicity to narrate an entire episode. At the end of episodes like this, Felicity would often be shown listening to a tape Sally sent in reply.

The story of the series begins at Felicity's high school graduation where she asks Ben Covington (played by Scott Speedman), a classmate whom she has a crush on, to sign her yearbook. Moved by his comment that he wished he had gotten to know her, she changes her education plans completely, deciding to follow Ben to New York rather than attend Stanford University for pre-med. Felicity's overbearing parents, concerned about Felicity's seemingly rash decision, come to New York to try to convince her to return home and 'get back on track.' Felicity has second thoughts about her decision, but soon realizes that she came, not only to follow Ben, but to find herself.

While Felicity works to sort out her emotions, she continues the basic motions of student life and moves into her dorm. There, she meets the resident advisor Noel Crane (Scott Foley). Eventually, romance ensues, and the relationships between Felicity, Ben, and Noel form the basic dramatic conflicts in the show throughout the series.

Plot
A number of other characters appear and play large roles in Felicity's life. Her roommate for the first two years is Meghan Rotundi (Amanda Foreman), a goth Wiccan who occasionally casts spells on Felicity and others. Julie Emrick (Amy Jo Johnson) is one of Felicity's best friends, as is Elena Tyler (Tangi Miller), who often takes classes with Felicity. Felicity also has male friends, including Sean Blumberg (Greg Grunberg), who is always trying to produce new off-kilter inventions, and Javier Quintata (Ian Gomez), who manages the coffee house Dean & DeLuca where Felicity works for most of her college career.

Cast
Felicity maintained an ensemble cast, keeping most of its characters for its entire four season run. Numerous secondary characters, including friends and love interests for these characters, appeared intermittently to complement storylines that generally revolved around this core group.

Keri Russell (Felicity Porter), Scott Speedman (Ben Covington), Scott Foley (Noel Crane) and Tangi Miller (Elena Tyler) were the only four original series regular cast members who remained with the show throughout all four seasons of the show. Keri Russell, Scott Speedman and Scott Foley are the only three cast members who appeared in all 84 episodes of the show. Tangi Miller made appearances in 65 episodes. Amy Jo Johnson as Julie Emrick, an original series regular for the show, left the series halfway through the show's third season for personal reasons relating to a death in her family. However, she later reprised her role during the show's final season in a guest starring capacity. Johnson appeared in a total of 50 episodes.

Greg Grunberg and Amanda Foreman as Sean Blumberg and Meghan Rotundi, respectively, were major recurring characters through the show's first season and were later added as series regular cast members during the show's second season. Both of them remained with the show through the rest of its time on the air. Both Grunberg and Foreman appeared in 61 episodes. Ian Gomez as Javier Clemente Quintata, originally a recurring guest star beginning with the first season, was the final cast member to be added as a series regular during the last half of the show's run. Gomez appeared in a total of 39 episodes.

DVD releases
The DVDs were released over a period of four years by Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment. Because of high music licensing costs, many of the songs from the original broadcast episodes were replaced with songs by artists from the independent label Rescue Records. Among them were Blaire Reinhard ("Over and Over" and "Can't Let Go"), Mike Schmidt ("Just Wave Goodbye"), and Beth Thornley ("Mr. Lovely"). On a technical level, some episodes did not have proper telecine encoding, so viewers using HDTVs could sometimes see interlacing artifacts (though this problem can be mitigated in a few ways). All four seasons were re-released on DVD on April 7, 2009 in a "slimmer" packaging.

Ratings
The series debut garnered 7.1 million viewers. The show's ratings declined in the 1999-2000 season. The popular press blamed this partly on a new hairstyle by the show's star. Known for long and curly locks, Russell went along with the producers' idea that she snip her hair short early on in the second year after her character had a rough breakup with Ben. The ratings drop also coincided with the show's move to Sunday night.

Season 1 (1998-1999): 4.4
Season 2 (1999-2000): 2.9
Season 3 (2000-2001): 3.9
Season 4 (2001-2002): 3.2

Felicity Survey
(By courtneybangelcakes)
#1. Who is your favourite character and why?
#2. Who do you like better -- Noel & Felicity or Ben & Felicity? Why?
#3. Which couple, aside from Felicity & her loves, did you really like together? Why?
#4. Which guy did you like Felicity with besides Ben & Noel (ie Greg, David, Owen, etc)?
#5. Which couple didn't you like together?
#6. Do you have a favourite episode? Which one(s)?
#7. What is your favourite Felicity & Ben moment? .
#8. What is your favourite Felicity & Noel moment? .
#9. Who is your favourite minor character (ie, characters only on for a short time, like Dr.Pavone, Guy, Molly, James, etc.)?
#10. Do you have a favourite quote from the show? Which one(s)?
#11. Do you have a least favourite episode?
#12. Do you have a favourite song that was featured on the show? (Either on the soundtrack or not) Which one(s)?
#13. If you could step inside an episode and be Felicity and change things around a bit, what would you change and why?
#14. Would you have liked Sean to end up with Julie instead of Meghan? Why or why not?
#15. What invention of Sean's did you think was the funniest?
#16. What happened on the show that shocked you the most (ie Sean & Meghan getting together, Felicity cheating on Ben with Noel, etc)?
#17. Do you think the show should've ended differently? How?
#18. Who do you think was the best ACTOR on the show? Why?
#19. What moment on the show made you really really happy?
#20. (final sum-up question) Why do you love the show so much?

Extra Questions:
#21. Which season do you think the cast looked their best?
#22. If you could only buy one season on DVD what season would it be?
#23. Rate the seasons in order
#24. Top 10 episodes?
#25. What are everyone's top five episodes from S1?
#26. Top 10 Felicity and Noel Moments?
#27. Top 10 Felicity and Ben Moments?
#28. Favorite Julie and Ben Moments?
#29. Favorite Sean and Meghan Moments?
#30. Favorite Songs of Each Season?
#31. Who do you think was the best ACTRESS on the show? Why?

Last edited by Alexa; 03-27-2015 at 03:27 PM
Alexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:07 PM
Fan Forum Star

Cleaned up the op a bit. Courtney, do you care if we keep the survey in there?

Also i can change the title if it offends anyone, but meg said it, and she was actually impressed with felicity so i don't see it as a diss.

also gonna bring these over from the last thread for more discussion:

----

Quote:
I do agree that the struggle made them so much more worth it - shipping them was so much fun. But I do think that Ben, if he really thought she was crazy, kind of should have stepped away for a moment and let her cool down. I feel like he led her on at times, which only led to her being more crazy And falling harder for him. But it's clear that Ben liked the attention, as most people would.
-courtneybangelcakes-

Quote:
Oh I didn't blame either of them. I just can't categorize S1 Ben as jerk not by a milestone. I thought he should have backed away and was guilty of leading her on at times, but I chalked that up to the draw he had towards her while still being afraid. I don't its what I like about them so I never really got frustrated. I just was never interested in noel and his faux good guy attitude. I felt like Ben's behavior was very natural for a guy who was attracted to a girl, but afraid of committment. It's what made the story so compelling to me.

The thing about guys like Ben is that once they committ that's it. You have their full heart while guys like noel are more about the chase and will screw you over while you are with them if you tend to disappoint them. I guess that's why I was always team ben or team Fab. Especially when it comes to storytelling, its what made their journey so worth it. IT wouldn't have been nearly as fun if he'd been like I like you too. let's date.
-ds44-

Quote:
totally agree! ben was open enough to accept felicity's eccentricities, which made her act even weirder at times, but i never once thought ben did anything that made him an actual jerk. noel was a jerk. not saying: i have a girlfriend is hitting jerk status. noel kissing felicity while his girlfriend was in the next room was jerk status! ben was just sort of... there. what i found surprising about ben was him stalking julie in the first four episodes. that was ooc to me, but he does it with felicity too, so i guess that's what he does when he really likes someone, but i'd say ben was a decent friend to felicity in the beginning...
- i never learn -

Quote:
i wouldn't say he was jerk either, i don't think i ever used that word, but i do think he had some jerky moments. maybe not intentionally.

theres something about ben that feels so genuine and honest, even if he's doing things that are confusing. you just wanna be able to trust the guy, he feels very charming and endearing.

i thnk ben was a great friend to felicity in s1, especially after all the stuff she put him through... lol. at the heart of it, he really is a good guy. but that doesnt mean i can see him as this complete angel, i see a lot of things he's done that have frustrated me and i get why felicity felt that way at times too.
-tell me a lie-

Last edited by Alexa; 03-27-2015 at 03:30 PM
Old 03-27-2015, 04:01 PM
Fan Forum Hero

who cares if the title offends anyone? meghan is queen!

a future one: i can't believe it's not butter? it tastes so much like butter!
i never learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:16 PM
Elite Fan

Nope, don't care about the surveys!

Yeah I don't think Ben is a jerk, but he's definitely not a complete angel I agree though, there is something really genuine about their relationship and buildup. There was always something there. That's why it was so easy for them to fall into things sometimes - like their roadtrip

I love Noel He could definitely do effed up things though...like oh my. But I think at his root he is a good person too.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:16 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah I don't think Ben is a jerk, but he's definitely not a complete angel I agree though, there is something really genuine about their relationship and buildup. There was always something there. That's why it was so easy for them to fall into things sometimes - like their roadtrip

I love Noel He could definitely do effed up things though...like oh my. But I think at his root he is a good person too.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:52 PM
Fan Forum Star

lol lex. who said that?

i loved noel too,i just hated what they did to his character. was it the beginning of 3 where they totally changed him? i cant remember now.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:04 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtneybangelcakes (View Post)

tftnt

oh I never once thought Ben was an angel. He's always been what I like to call beautifully flawed. He did some weird and frustrating things, but generally I understood his motivation and I think that comes down to writing. The writers never really to care about noel beyond using him as the fall back guy atleast not until the last season. He sorta reeked of nice guy syndrom from the get-go.

I think making him have depression and Felicity a source of that depression totally makes sense cause his behavior was off the wall. He was okay for the first three episodes than we get to boggled and then there is the total effery that is the hannah sl followed up by the let me try to take advantage of you while I'm drunk during assassins.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:31 PM
Elite Fan

I just liked seeing the ups and downs that he goes through. Like in S1, for the most part is a "good-guy". He comes off as super goofy, loving, and overall a good guy. Then in S2 we see a completely different side of him...like I personally loved it when him and Felicity were at odds. And S3 he is so lost. And in S4 I think he is finally like ...hey, I've kind of messed up a bit, I need to get it together.

I don't know, I think his journey is interesting.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:37 PM
Fan Forum Star

yeah I'm interested to see it again and give a different opinion this time.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:14 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
I just liked seeing the ups and downs that he goes through. Like in S1, for the most part is a "good-guy". He comes off as super goofy, loving, and overall a good guy. Then in S2 we see a completely different side of him...like I personally loved it when him and Felicity were at odds. And S3 he is so lost. And in S4 I think he is finally like ...hey, I've kind of messed up a bit, I need to get it together.

I don't know, I think his journey is interesting.
I have rewatched the series so many times that the last time I liked noel I was nineteen and watching the show for the first time. He had a lot of potential, but they had him do some shady mcshady stuff. I do like his journey in S4 and how he cames to terms with his illness.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:32 AM
Elite Fan

I just love all the characters

Even Julie, who I sometimes hate - I still appreciate a lot of her storylines.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:35 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
I just love all the characters

Even Julie, who I sometimes hate - I still appreciate a lot of her storylines.
Nothing could make me like Julie. But, I did feel for her during her rape sl, but I would be inhuman not to.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:55 AM
Elite Fan

By S3 I was so done with her.

But early S1 - I appreciate her. I think the show really captured Felicity and Julie's relationship perfectly - that person you attach on to early on in college, even though you're probably not supposed to be the greatest of friends. They were very different people.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:20 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
By S3 I was so done with her.

But early S1 - I appreciate her. I think the show really captured Felicity and Julie's relationship perfectly - that person you attach on to early on in college, even though you're probably not supposed to be the greatest of friends. They were very different people.
Oh I appreciated that aspect, I just found her to be fake from the get-go. She is that girl who only befriends you to get close to a guy whether they are a friend of yours or a relative.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:54 AM
Elite Fan

^ I didn't really feel that way. I just felt she was so insecure and obviously more considered with herself than anybody else. I mean, she obviously wanted Ben. I just don't think she befriended Felicity for Ben.

I hate how she felt she had a claim on Ben. So annoying.
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top