Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2010, 05:25 AM
Elite Fan

Why do you think YA was cancelled?

Let's discuss!

Reposting this from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan (View Post)
Anja, Sheida,

This board doesn't seem to have a thread for discussing why "Young Americans"was cancelled. Since "oldtimers" are likely to be the best sources of information about that, I take the liberty of hijacking this thread, now inactive for three years, to discuss it. If you don't like that, feel free to split off this post to make a separate thread.

There seem to be many diverse allegations about YA's ratings, and how the decision not to extend the series related to them. The "News" thread of the old "Rawley Academy" board of FanForum, recently recovered from Archive.og, has some interesting information about that. But before discussing ratings, I'd like to ask:

Is there, to the best of anyone's knowledge, any truth to this report that one finds in the article on "Young Americans" in the French-language version of Wikipedia, here?

Quote:
La série dura huit épisodes et fut diffusée un été. Une des causes évoquées pour son annulation fut le rejet de la série par le public des chaînes locales du réseau de WB dans le middle-west. Ils n'auraient pas accepté que des élèves passent plus de temps dans leurs histoires de cœur que dans les études, ainsi que l'intrigue entre Hamilton et Jake évoquant par quiproquo une relation homosexuelle.
My Englishing of that would be:

"The series was broacast one summer and lasted eight episodes. One of the causes cited for its cancellations was the rejection of the series by the public of local stations of the WB network in the Midwest [of the U.S.]. They did not like that the students spent more time in love affairs than in studying, and found the Jake-Hamilton storyline too similar to a homosexual relationship."

The only place I've seen this allegation discussed is in the description of the "Save YA" campaign on the "Young Americans" page of Hynoweb, here. It seems not to credit the report in the French Wikipedia article, and to dismiss it as an unfounded Internet rumour:

Quote:
Une rumeur court sur internet a propos de groupes d'américains puritains qui auraient fait pression sur la Warner Bros pour ne pas relancer la série. Ils auraient été choqués par les thèmes abordés dans la série comme l'homosexualité et une histoire d'amour entre un frère et sa soeur.

Rien n'a été officiellement confirmé a propos de cette rumeur, il semblerait en fait que la Warner Bros ait tout simplement jugé inutile de continuer la série, celle-ci n'étant prévue que pour combler la grille de programmes de l'été.
P.S.: For some reason, Fanforum software won't accept a grave accent over the letter "a," although it will accept one over some other letters. So I've had to edit them out.
^I personally had never heard of that story until you mentioned it, so I'm inclined to say it's nothing more than a rumor. If there were any truth to it, I think we would've heard of it somewhere, be it through articles, comments from the actors or fan uproar.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:04 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Ive never heard of that either, it would be a bit weird of them to cancel a show cause the characters spend most of their time not studying when half the shows that re airing right now and were airing then had the same sort of storyline

[TWENTY YEARS OF YOUNG AMERICANS!]
Join us for one l a s t celebration!♡
♪_where would we be without a little l o v e?
[ Sheida : Tumblr | Twitter | Instagram ]
Old 11-12-2010, 04:04 PM
Loyal Fan

Did YA have low ratings?

Quote:
Despite being a spin off of one of the most popular WB shows, Young Americans received low ratings throughout its summer run and was cancelled in August 2000.

-- Young Americans (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia [No evidence in support of the "low ratings" statement is cited.]
Quote:
Due to low ratings and strong competition, Young Americans was canceled after only eight episodes.

-- Young Americans TV Show The WB | Young Americans Online TV Series Summary [Again, no evidence is cited.]
How does one reconcile that with the following reports? I have little experience in reading reports of TV ratings, so perhaps I'm missing something.

Quote:
Young Americans debuted Wednesday on The WB to respectable ratings success.
By BroadCasting & Cable Staff -- Broadcasting & Cable, 7/16/2000 8:00:00 PM

Coca-Cola-sponsored 'Young Americans' debuted Wednesday on The WB to respectable ratings success. In households, the show posted a 2.3/4 share, which was 44% higher than its Dawson's Creek lead-in. More significant, the series ranked No. 1 among female teens (The WB's core audience) during the 9 p.m. hour with a 3.2/14 share. Among adults 18-34, Young Americans grabbed a 2.0/6, a 25% climb from that time period's season-to-date average.

-- Young Americans debuted Wednesday on The WB to respectable ratings success. - 2000-07-17 00:00:00 | Broadcasting & Cable
Quote:
News on Series Premiere Ratings
Posted by Liz
Press release from The WB:

"YOUNG AMERICANS" DELIVERS THE WB'S 3RD HIGHEST MEN 18-34 RATING IN TIME PERIOD THIS SEASON & TOPS ALL COMPETITION IN FEMALE TEENS

BURBANK, CA (July 13, 2000) - The WB's YOUNG AMERICANS had a respectable debut as it delivered the network's third highest rating in the Wednesday, 9 p.m. time period this season among men 18-34, scoring a 1.7/6 to improve +55% in rating over the season-to-date average. The series, set at a New England boarding school, also ranked 1 in the 9:00 p.m. hour among female teens vs. all networks with a solid 3.2/14, scoring The WB's best delivery in that demographic since May sweeps.

OTHER HIGHLIGHTS FOR "YOUNG AMERICANS"

Young Americans built dramatically over its Dawson's Creek lead-in, jumping +44% in rating among households, gaining +30% among adults 18-34, improving +38% among women 18-34 and growing +42% in rating among men 18-34.

The new summer series achieved a 2.0/6 among adults 18-34, the best output in the time slot since May sweeps and up +25% in rating over the time period season-to-date average. The program also excelled among women 18-34 with a strong 2.2/7, equaling the best number in the time period since May.

Young Americans topped West Wing on NBC in the trend-setting demographics of Persons 12-34 (2.0/7) and females 12-34 (2.5/8) -securing the time period's best deliveries since the May sweeps.

The show maintained its household performance (2.3/4 HH rating/share)across both half hours, and maintained or gained from the first to the second half hour in nearly every demographic.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From "Excite News":

In other ratings news, the WB also had reason to smile this week, thanks to the Wednesday night premiere of its pretty-people-in-prep-school drama Young Americans. The Coke-sponsored Dawson's Creek spinoff got off to a promising start in its 9 p.m. slot, drawing 2.88 million viewers and nabbing a 1.3 rating and 4 share among adults 18-49. (A ratings point represents 1,008,000 households, or 1 percent of the nation's estimate 100.8 million TV homes. The share is the percentage of turned-on TVs tuned to a particular show.)

-- Rawley Academy - NEWS
Quote:
From "Showbiz Buzz" at Teenmag.com:

To all "Young Americans" fans, you have major cause for celebration! Though early reviews of the show weren't good, the ratings have been great and fan response has been even greater! So, even though the show originally had no slot in the WB's Fall schedule, I hear that the network has green lit more episodes, which will begin airing early 2001.

-- Rawley Academy - NEWS
Quote:
Press Release from The WB:

"YOUNG AMERICANS" CONTINUES TO GROW FOR THE WB

BURBANK, CA (August 1, 2000) - In its third week of broadcast, The WB's YOUNG AMERICANS delivered its best numbers yet among women 18-34 (2.3/6) and females 12-34 (2.6/8). The program ranked 3 in its time period among females 12-34 (2.6/8). The show also improved week-to-week among adults 18-34, scoring a 1.7/5. YOUNG AMERICANS continues to build over its Dawson's Creek lead-in, gaining +15% among women 18-34 and +24% among females 12-34.

-- Rawley Academy - NEWS
Quote:
"Young Americans" is a ratings hit ...

'The Battle for Dawson's Soul," by Jonathan V Last, blogpost on BeliefNet (undated, August 2000, sometime beteween airing of YA episode 4 and WB decision not to continue the series). [Last is a reporter for the conservative Weekly Standard, but this blogpost appears not to have been published in that magazine.]
Quote:
From The Washington Post:

ABC Streaks to a Hot Summer Victory
By Rick Kissell
Variety
Wednesday, August 16, 2000; 4:07 AM

Excerpt:

WEDNESDAY

The WB's "Young Americans" delivered its best rating to date in women 18-34 (2.6/8), ranking third in its slot.

-- Rawley Academy - NEWS
Quote:
These are the overnights, the final numbers won't be out 'til next week...

From Zap2It.com:

At 8 p.m., The WB aired a repeat of "Dawson's Creek", grabbing a 2.4/4 (1.7/3). The season finale of "Young Americans" followed, earning a strong 3.1/5 (1.9/3). The net is expected to decide on whether to renew the show soon.

-- Rawley Academy - NEWS
Quote:
From Zap2It.com:

WB Says No To 'Young Americans'Tue, Sep 5, 2000 04:25 PM PDT

LOS ANGELES (Zap2It.com) - Although "Young Americans" has generated good fan response and has reached ratings that beat some of the network's other shows, such as "Roswell," The WB has decided not to pick up the series.

According to a spokeswoman at "American's" production company, Columbia TriStar, the show won't be returning to the Frog. ...

-- Rawley Academy - NEWS. Also online at Early Edition [earlydues] - news and tidbits
Quote:
The WB Orders More 'Blues'
Wed, Sep 13, 2000 11:53 AM PDT

LOS ANGELES (Zap2It.com) - The WB has decided to renew the family animated series "Baby Blues," no doubt sending hundreds of "Young Americans" fans up in arms. ...

The ever-increasing threat of strikes may have also factored into the decision to renew the animated series, although Daniels said, "We would have done this anyway." With the additional episodes, The WB will have 18 episodes available for the 2000-01 season which they case use in the event of a work stoppage next summer....

The decision to renew "Baby Blues," but not the teen drama "Young Americans" may also point to a change within The WB's programming slate. While popular teen shows like "Dawson's Creek" and "Roswell" continues on the Frog's lineup, most of the net's new shows are slanted to a slightly older audience or towards comedy. This fall's new teen shows, "Sabrina," which moves from ABC to the Frog, and "Grosse Point," a teen drama parody from Executive Producer Darren Star ("Sex and the City") are both comedies, while no new teen dramas have been introduced.

-- Rawley Academy - NEWS
Quote:
From the message boards at TheWB.com:

Subject: Young Americans
Author:From The WB (205.173.143.35)
Date: 09/20/2000 10:40
Dear fans of Young Americans,

We'd like to thank you for your interest in YOUNG AMERICANS and for helping make its limited summer run a success.

We bought eight episodes of YOUNG AMERICANS to give viewers like you a fresh alternative to summer reruns. We aired the entire run and we're glad you enjoyed it. At this time, we have not ordered additional episodes of the series.

Thank you,
The WB Television Network

-- Rawley Academy - NEWS
Objective raw data in the form of Nielsen ratings for YA seem likely to be available from subscription services, although not freely available online:

Quote:
Locating Nielsen TV Ratings in the UGA Libraries

Broadcasting & Cable: Main Library Call Number: PN1991 .B7

Check table of contents for the “Nielsen Ratings.” Note that the data is for the current week only. Includes data for ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PAX, UPN, and The WB listed with hour-by-hour rating. These weekly Nielsen TV ratings can also be searched online in: Business Source Complete, from July 1999 to the present and LexisNexis Academic, from April 10, 2000 to the present and also for January 17, 2000 and March 27, 2000; search Nielsen Ratings and enter Broadcasting & Cable in the box for journal selection.
I might be able to get access to one or both of these sources from either my workplace or the Library of Congress; anyone enrolled in a university might have ready access to LexisNexis Academic. However, to offer a good commercial interpretation of YA's raw Nielsen ratings would require far more information.

However, it seems that YA's ratings were far from abysmal. That inclines me to wonder whether Antin had any more episodes of YA to sell. Is there any compelling evidence that he did?

Last edited by Finnegan; 11-12-2010 at 11:02 PM
Old 11-29-2010, 01:11 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken|smile (View Post)
it would be a bit weird of them to cancel a show cause the characters spend most of their time not studying when half the shows that re airing right now and were airing then had the same sort of storyline
Indeed. Even back then, on Dawson's or wherever, they didn't really focus on school a lot, did they?

It really does seem that the ratings were not as bad as we nowadays believe they were. But maybe they simply weren't good enough for The WB?

Quote:
That inclines me to wonder whether Antin had any more episodes of YA to sell. Is there any compelling evidence that he did?
I don't suppose you can count this as actual evidence, but a few years back there were rumours going around that the writers had actually written at least the first few episodes of season 2. Now, I don't actually believe that to be true, because, as a TV show writer, I guess I'd only invest my time and energy into something if I knew it was actually happening. Maybe it was different for Antin though because this show was his creation...
Old 12-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Loyal Fan

Antin: a "summer series" that ran its course ...

Quote:
He [Antin] created and produced a TV series on the then-WB Network entitled Young Americans, back in 2000. The show did well with critics and in the ratings, however, it was a “summer series,” and only scheduled for 9 episodes.

-- Cher! Christina Aguilera! BURLESQUE!!!
By Gary Kramer
San Fransico Bay Times, November 25, 2010
The source of that information, provided in an article that consists chiefly of an interview with Steve Antin, is likely Antin himself. In retrospect, at least, he seems to suggest that to have made the jump from a summer fill-in for DC to regular season WB programming would have required not just good but spectacular ratings. And that may well be correct.

Antin's statement in the spring of 2000 that he hoped for a run of seven years may have been directed as much to motivating his actors and crew as to any realistic expectation. I get the feeling that Antin was less than completely candid with his actors and crew either about his expectations for the show's continuation, or about what the show was -- Moennig's interview statement in Sept. 2000 that the Jake-Hamilton storyline was intended by Antin as a "side sight-gag" seems compellling evidence that Antin didn't reveal the full artistic content of YA, much of which was ill-matched to its venue and target audience. And the paucity of public expressions of gratitude to Antin by the young actors whose careers he launched in YA suggests they may have felt a bit ill-treated in some way.

Contrary to the information above, the critical reception of YA was not, so far as I am able to ascertain, very favorable. However, I have been able to find only two published reviews of YA based on viewing of more than the first aired episode (or, worse, merely the unaired pilot). These two reviews, one in a Baltimore weekly paper and one in the UCLA college newspaper, were both published during the week after episode 4 was aired. There appear to be no published reviews or criticism based on viewing the entire series even once. This may be, perhaps, a rectifiable omission.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:15 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Indeed. Even back then, on Dawson's or wherever, they didn't really focus on school a lot, did they?
Yeah, unless one of the characters was sleeping with a teacher not much emphasis was given to their time in school

As glad as it makes me to see YA getting a tiny bit of recognition thanks to burlesque, I wish theyd get their facts right Ya had 8 episodes, not 9 Id love to find out if there were more episodes, theres gotta be a member of the cast or crew we can find on facebook or twitter and ask them this question

Old 12-19-2010, 01:13 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
The source of that information, provided in an article that consists chiefly of an interview with Steve Antin, is likely Antin himself. In retrospect, at least, he seems to suggest that to have made the jump from a summer fill-in for DC to regular season WB programming would have required not just good but spectacular ratings. And that may well be correct.
Yes, that's definitely a possibility. And however the ratings may have been, I'm pretty sure they weren't as amazing as DC's ratings, and so, by comparison, YA wasn't as successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s e r e n i t y (View Post)
Yeah, unless one of the characters was sleeping with a teacher not much emphasis was given to their time in school

Quote:
As glad as it makes me to see YA getting a tiny bit of recognition thanks to burlesque, I wish theyd get their facts right Ya had 8 episodes, not 9
Maybe they counted the unaired pilot? And isn't Antin on Twitter/Facebook? We should ask him. ... or Ian.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:56 PM
Fan Forum Hero

but oh come on, how can they choose the fate of a show that did well based on 8 episodes not remarkable well like DC but then again what show did that well back then?

Ooh he is? I didnt know, If prefer it if he was on facebook thatd make things easier but to be honest hes a bit busy right now Id rather find Rodney somewhere

Old 12-19-2010, 02:24 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
but oh come on, how can they choose the fate of a show that did well based on 8 episodes not remarkable well like DC but then again what show did that well back then?
Hmmm...Buffy, probably? Other than that, I really don't know.

I think he's both on fb and on twitter You are such a closeted Rodney fangirl! Just admit it already!
Old 12-31-2010, 10:31 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I ... havent searched for him on FB or Twitter

Not exactly a Rodney fangirl but as hes been the most quiet these past few years I kinda have a feelings itll be easier to get in touch with him

Old 01-03-2011, 05:37 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Not exactly a Rodney fangirl but as hes been the most quiet these past few years I kinda have a feelings itll be easier to get in touch with him
That's probably true I wonder what he is up to
Old 01-03-2011, 12:50 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolkenfuehlen (View Post)
That's probably true I wonder what he is up to
That's a really interesting question, because you're right:

If he could be contacted, Rodney Scott may be the most accessible of YA's main actors, and more accessible than Antin. He might be able to answer a few questions.

Although I wonder whether Antin told his actors enough to enable them to understand the show any better than their teen audience did. Moennig told Christina Radish in Sept. 2000 that the Jake-Hamilton story-line was a intended to be a comedic side-show to the main story: she didn't have a clue of what Antin was using her to do. One wonders whether Rodney Scott had any clue, for example, that Krudski-as-narrator is a generation older than Krudski-as-character, and that YA is that narrator's dream of reliving a perfect youth.

After reading Moennig's interview with Radish, I suspect that Antin may be the only one worth talking to.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:51 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Still, Id like to get a chance to talk to Rodney, see if he knew anything or had any ideas or anything

Old 01-07-2011, 12:51 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Still, Id like to get a chance to talk to Rodney, see if he knew anything or had any ideas or anything
Yes Even when he doesn't know about Antin's vision and his ideas and thoughts about the show, he'd at least (hopefully) have some nice stories to share about the filming of the episodes etc etc
Old 04-08-2011, 04:25 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
... One wonders whether Rodney Scott had any clue, for example, that Krudski-as-narrator is a generation older than Krudski-as-character, and that YA is that narrator's dream of reliving a perfect youth. ...
Everyone has a summer they will never forget...

The show was on for a summer and it has not been forgotten. It met its stated objectives and that has young americans among the most successful of tv shows.

I still haven't found details on all episodes but in general the ratings were better than repeats of Dawson's Creek which preceded the episodes each week and were better than the summer of 1999. young americans was an experiment in summer programming that would have withered into blah if it had returned for a full season or even a second summer. I want a second season but i also realise not renewing the show was the right choice for the integrity of the show.

DVDs are a different matter. Sony needs to capitalise on one of the times someone is in a hit show or movie and release young americans in a nice transfer with some commentaries and other goodies.