Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 05-27-2010, 01:27 PM
Elite Fan

Music Video Awards 2010 - Young Americans

Dear Posters,

Fan Forum began hosting the fifth Annual Fanforum Music Video Awards. These awards are open on all TV Show boards, and to all posters and we hope you will all enjoy them.

To make the process as smooth as possible we have compiled a list of rules and guidelines to read before submitting your videos. Please read these carefully.

How The Awards Will Work

1. Videos submitted will be judged by the Moderators of the TV Show board submitted to, Or an assigned replacement judge.
2. Moderators of the boards will be allowed to submit to their own boards but judging will be done fairly by all judges.
3. Judges will choose ONE video for each TV Show to win the Best of that TV Show award and will go onto the second round.
4. In the second round the selected video from each TV Show will compete and be judged as the best of each category, Best Angst, Best Romance, etc. The videos will be put into categories at the time of the judging, by the judges. Posters do not decide which category they want to enter their video in.
5. Second round winners will then compete in a final round and ONE video will be chosen as Fanforum’s Best TV Show Music Video.

Rules For Submitting Videos

1. You can only submit up to FOUR videos in each TV Show.
2. Please only submit your own videos, not those of other people.
3. Slideshow videos are not accepted.
4. Videos must be online throughout the judging time. If we can't download it, we can't judge it. This is why we recommend using something like megaupload, SendSpace, or YouTube. Please don’t use YouSendIt as files expire after seven days there.
5. Any videos submitted in the Music Video Awards 2006, 2007, 2008 or 2009 cannot be re-entered.

How to Submit Your Videos

Videos should be submitted on this thread using the format below:

Title of Video:
Download Link:
Fanforum User Name:
Characters/Couple:
Song Title & Artist:
Short Description:

Entries will close on the 30th of June so be sure to submit before then.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask them here, or in a PM.

Thank you,
Anja & Sheida
Old 05-30-2010, 01:35 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for posting this hun

I hope we get entries this year as well, last years were all beautiful

[TWENTY YEARS OF YOUNG AMERICANS!]
Join us for one l a s t celebration!♡
♪_where would we be without a little l o v e?
[ Sheida : Tumblr | Twitter | Instagram ]
Old 05-30-2010, 12:29 PM
Elite Fan

They were! There are some talented people around, let's hope they make some entries!
Old 06-10-2010, 06:40 AM
Elite Fan

Doesn't anyone want to participate?
Old 06-10-2010, 07:51 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolkenfuehlen (View Post)
Doesn't anyone want to participate?
Are you offering "How to make music videos" courses, Anja?

It might be fun to assign shots from YA to each line of Bob Dylan's "Love Minus Zero/No Limit," the first line of which we see on Finn's blackboard in YA episode 1. That seems to suggest that Antin may have wanted to use that song in the YA soundtrack, but couldn't. (Too expensive?) Sadly, I lack the requisite technical skills.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:40 AM
Elite Fan

Believe me, if I knew how to make them, I'd participate I'm sadly completely useless when it comes to making videos.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:00 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I ... also have no idea how to make videos Though Finnegan it seems like youve got a good idea over there, itll be nice to see it done I once attempted a video with windows movie maker, it was time consuming but easy

Old 06-11-2010, 05:20 AM
Loyal Fan

In the arms of an angel ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken|smile (View Post)
Finnegan it seems like youve got a good idea over there, itll be nice to see it done.
Oh, ideas are easy, Sheida, I've got lots; it's only work that I can't do ...

For example: Given Pratt's statement, when she reveals her true gender to Fleming, that she's "obsessed with Sarah McLachlan," it seems odd that I've never seen a JaHammer video set to a Sarah McLachlan song. "Angel," McLachlan's best-known song, released in 1997, albeit about heroin addiction, seems so neatly to describe Pratt's desperate need for Fleming and the miraculousness of his reponse to her need that one might suspect that the YA scriptwriters made Pratt a McLachlan fan precisely in the hope that we might recall that song:

Quote:
In the arms of an angel
Fly away from here
From this dark cold hotel room
And the endlessness that you fear
You are pulled from the wreckage
Of your silent reverie
You're in the arms of the angel
May you find some comfort there.

Last edited by Finnegan; 06-11-2010 at 05:38 AM
Old 06-17-2010, 05:20 AM
Loyal Fan

"Rawley Angel"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan (View Post)
Given Pratt's statement, when she reveals her true gender to Fleming, that she's "obsessed with Sarah McLachlan," it seems odd that I've never seen a JaHammer video set to a Sarah McLachlan song. "Angel," McLachlan's best-known song, released in 1997, albeit about heroin addiction, seems so neatly to describe Pratt's desperate need for Fleming and the miraculousness of his response to her need that one might suspect that the YA scriptwriters made Pratt a McLachlan fan precisely in the hope that we might recall that song:
Done. It took only two days from a position of zero experience using an unregistered (and hence free) AVS Video Editor. Not nearly so hard as learning how to plow a straight furrow behind an ox or two.

Title of Video: Rawley Angel
Download Link: [Edit: Access changed. See later posts.] This forum's software automatically overwrites the URL, sorry.
Fanforum User Name: Finnegan
Characters/Couple: Jacqueline Pratt & Hamilton Fleming
Song Title & Artist: "Angel," written and preformed by Sarah McLachlan
Short Description: At the emotional climax of Young Americans, the "frog prince" moment where Hamilton Fleming kisses cross-dressing "Jake" Pratt and "Jake" turns into a girl, Pratt tells Fleming: "I'm obsessed by Sarah McLachlan." This video attempts to show why Young Americans' creator, Steve Antin, included that allusion to McLachlan; her best-known song, then as now, "Angel," aptly describes both Hamilton Fleming, a miraculously compassionate emotional savior, and Jacqueline Pratt, whose emotional despair and self-destructive behavior is reminiscent of the heroin addiction and overdosing that occasioned McLachlan's "Angel."

Sheida, Anja, I would tell you I did it for you, but the truth is that it's my wedding anniversary this week, and I'm keen to save money this year, since next year I have to shell out for something made of silver. and my wife already has a thimble. This makes an interesting variation from the usual low-budget item, a sonnet. And as I believe I've mentioned, it was my wife who first induced me to watch Young Americans back in the summer of 2000.

Last edited by Finnegan; 06-18-2010 at 03:37 AM
Old 06-17-2010, 01:18 PM
Elite Fan

It's no longer available in my country How big is the file? Any chance you could upload it elsewhere (a file-sharing site like Mediafire or Megaupload, maybe?) so I could check it out?

What a sweet anniversary present I hope your wife enjoys it!
Old 06-17-2010, 01:36 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thats a really great and thoughtful anniversary gift though like Anja I cant see it

Old 06-17-2010, 01:58 PM
Elite Fan

Boo! Stupid copyright!
Old 06-17-2010, 06:09 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolkenfuehlen (View Post)
It's no longer available in my country
Interesting ... just posted it today, of course ... one lives and learns.

The current version is an MPEG4 file of 334KB. That exceeds the attachment limit of any e-mail freeware, according to Wikipedia.

I shall work on this problem and get back to you. Meanwhile, thanks for the feedback, Anja. Since my wife is currently working and residing in the EU, you probably just saved me from sending her an electronic anniversary present that she couldn't open.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:49 AM
Loyal Fan

Re: "Rawley Angel"

Anja, Sheida,

Well, it's now available for download at MegaUpload for the next 30 days. So the amended entry is:

Title of Video: Rawley Angel
Download Link: MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service (uploaded as an MPEG4 file). This forum's software automatically overwrites the URL, which is www-dot-megaupload-dot-com/?d=8VFUT0Y1
Fanforum User Name: Finnegan
Characters/Couple: Jacqueline Pratt & Hamilton Fleming
Song Title & Artist: "Angel," written and preformed by Sarah McLachlan
Short Description: At the emotional climax of Young Americans, the "frog prince" moment where Hamilton Fleming kisses cross-dressing "Jake" Pratt and "Jake" turns into a girl, Pratt tells Fleming: "I'm obsessed by Sarah McLachlan." This video attempts to show why Young Americans' creator, Steve Antin, included that allusion to McLachlan; her best-known song, then as now, "Angel," aptly describes both Hamilton Fleming, a miraculously compassionate emotional savior, and Jacqueline Pratt, whose emotional despair and self-destructive behavior is reminiscent of the heroin addiction and overdosing that occasioned McLachlan's "Angel."

Also, a dreadfully bad copy of it is now online at 56.com, at Rawley Raphael - 56网视频; it looks as if every second frame has been deleted in that copy, and the soundtrack has scratchy bits.

I have transferred the quite good copy online at YouTube to a new account, and made it a private video, in the hope that soundtrack-strippers might give private files low priority. It will remain private at least for a few days. YouTube does give a list of countries where that video cannot be seen due to rigorous copyright protection: the list is one country long, "Germany." Why Sheida can't see it in Iran I don't know.

Last edited by Finnegan; 06-18-2010 at 03:56 AM
Old 06-22-2010, 01:32 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan (View Post)
YouTube does give a list of countries where that video cannot be seen due to rigorous copyright protection: the list is one country long, "Germany."
Wow, I feel special now

Thanks for uploading it! I probably won't have the time to download it until the weekend, but I'll let you know what I think as soon as I've seen it!