Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2013, 01:48 PM
Passionate Fan

Yeah, I don't quite understand that either. This is like waaaaaaay OT, but it kind of hits on the whole people making hateful, hurtful comments online, with no shame whatsoever. Recently I was popping in and out of a thread discussing the Brittany/Santana ship on Glee where someone was very vocal about Brittany being ''too ugly'' and simply ''not being pretty enough'' for Santana which pissed me off because 1) Heather Morris/Brittany is off the charts adorable and 2) the fact that she's not model-beautiful is what kind of makes it refreshing; she looks like a real girl. And real girls with real faces and real bodies find love all the time out in the real world. I mean, yes, it's just a tv show and all, but by their logic anyone who isn't ''hot'' doesn't deserve companionship which is just a horrible message.

I'm sure if we mined more movies and tv shows we'd probably find many more instances of this toxic thinking. Like you said it's one thing to think ''hm, that's not who I had in mind for the role'' and another to just spew hate.

In other news I was talking to my sister about Charlie/50 Shades and she told me her reaction to the news was ''ohgodno, if he's in it my sister's going to force me to watch it with her'' but I assured her that no, I'd totally allow her to skip out on this one. I'm still up in the air about whether I'll be watching it. I certainly don't see myself seeing this in theaters, but I might rent or download it or something later on. I don't really want to, but on the other hand, I do want to see Charlie, plus if it is a trainwreck I imagine it'll be a brilliant and glorious one that will supply plenty of laughs.

Where do you all land? I know everyone here isn't big on the series or on Charlie being a part of it, so do you plan on skipping it all together or will you bite the bullet and attempt to check it out?
Old 09-09-2013, 01:51 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki K (View Post)
(b) what do you mean she's too fat to play Katniss you dimwits?!!
Say what?!?! People are just such idiots!!

Thanks for posting the interview here! We all already knew he would prepare so well for this role, but it's great to see it confirmed. I'm coming to terms with this all....and I guess if there's one guy that can make this role really great it's him?

and those pics! I love the one with him and Maggie. she looks so adorable omg

Quote:
Originally Posted by street serenade (View Post)
You know, one upside to him taking this role: he more than likely is going to have to shave off his little beard thingy, which means yay, pretty Charlie
I like the way you think!!
Old 09-09-2013, 03:08 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
but it kind of hits on the whole people making hateful, hurtful comments online, with no shame whatsoever
See here's the thing, everyone who doesn't live as hermit in a cave but exposes him-/herself to others in one way or another is prone to other people's criticism. And if you're a celebrity you're exposed to a lot of people who have an opinion on you and your work. However, I do not believe that this means that anyone who is in the public eye has signed up for being insulted on the lowest level. Apart from that I don't get people - I mean, would they think it's okay if anyone said such things about them? But because it's on the internet and relatively anonymous, it's suddenly what... okay/acceptable to be mean and insulting? Idek.

Quote:
but by their logic anyone who isn't ''hot'' doesn't deserve companionship which is just a horrible message.
Oh yes, that. And again that makes me think what on earth? Have these people looked in the mirror lately? Are they as hot as they claim xyz has to be? And again who is the judge on beauty anyway. Plus friendships or relationships - do they really build them by looking at people and judging how they look? I would hope you'd look for more in a person than - I don't know... is their hair shiny enough or whatnot.

Plus as far as TV is concerned tbh I sometimes get really annoyed by people being so streamline pretty - like I was watching a remake of my favourite 1980s telenovela and I can't say that the actors in the 2006 versions are particularly bad but there is still something lacking because they're not "characters"... as in, the guys all look like they're from an Abercrombie catalogue which makes it hard to tell them apart and also it's like... on the original version there was so much more diversity short people, tall people, slim people, fat people, people with wrinkles... they were just so much more original and real. Anyway... /rant

I read on tumblr that quite a few people are actually thinking Charlie is a good choice because he realises his character is pretty screwed in the head and not necessarily a romantic hero.

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Old 09-09-2013, 03:33 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
And again that makes me think what on earth? Have these people looked in the mirror lately? Are they as hot as they claim xyz has to be? And again who is the judge on beauty anyway. Plus friendships or relationships - do they really build them by looking at people and judging how they look? I would hope you'd look for more in a person than - I don't know... is their hair shiny enough or whatnot.

Plus as far as TV is concerned tbh I sometimes get really annoyed by people being so streamline pretty - like I was watching a remake of my favourite 1980s telenovela and I can't say that the actors in the 2006 versions are particularly bad but there is still something lacking because they're not "characters"... as in, the guys all look like they're from an Abercrombie catalogue which makes it hard to tell them apart and also it's like... on the original version there was so much more diversity short people, tall people, slim people, fat people, people with wrinkles... they were just so much more original and real. Anyway... /rant
Yes to all of this.
Funny thing is, when I come across a ''hot guy'' I can admire their appearance, sure, but I'm almost never attracted to them off the bat. It's like I know they're attractive, but I'm not attracted to them if that makes any sense. The only people I've ever been truly attracted to were guys I'd known for a long while as just friends. It's only when feelings come into the picture that I start finding myself attracted to them. They can be an average joe in every way imaginable, but if feelings are involved, then to me...I can look at that person and all I see is the most gorgeous person in the world and I don't care what anyone else thinks because I know what I see.
I don't know, maybe I'm weird. When I was a teenager friends would always give me flack because I never saw the point of giggly ''who's hot and who's not'' games and such. Like I totally recall one of my cousins calling me gay because I wouldn't admit to thinking that any of the members of NSync were attractive

And I totally get what you mean. There are some shows out there where everyone looks plastic and perfect to the point where they all begin to look alike and blur together and there's no distinction.

Quote:
I read on tumblr that quite a few people are actually thinking Charlie is a good choice because he realises his character is pretty screwed in the head and not necessarily a romantic hero.
Hmmm, I'm glad to hear Charlie sees how dysfunctional/repulsive his character is. If he's aware of that and he plays it a certain way and doesn't romanticize it all...it might be an interesting take

Btw, does anyone know when this starts fliming?
Old 09-09-2013, 03:39 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
It's like I know they're attractive, but I'm not attracted to them if that makes any sense.
Yeah that makes total sense. I mean, of course you have to be physically attracted to a partner but to be in a relationship you need a lot more - for me it's loyalty, knowing I can count on somebody and first and foremost that we share the same kind of humour and can laugh about things.

Quote:
When I was a teenager friends would always give me flack because I never saw the point of giggly ''who's hot and who's not'' games and such.
I had the same experience if it's any consolation.

Quote:
Hmmm, I'm glad to hear Charlie sees how dysfunctional/repulsive his character is. If he's aware of that and he plays it a certain way and doesn't romanticize it all...it might be an interesting take
I think he does realise that so I hope that the script and the director let him go into this direction.

RE: Filming - I don't know, I haven't read anything about that.

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Old 09-09-2013, 11:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I think it's horrible that people think it's ok to send hate to someone for being "ugly" or "fat" just because they can hide behind anonymity, like do they somehow not understand that these people are actually human? It will forever baffle me to see that Demi Lovato spoke out about her eating disorder and her self harm and got better and then people started making fun of her weight gain
Regarding Jennifer Lawrence though, I think the issue fans had wasn't that she was fat, it was that Katniss was starving, living in a place where they didn't have much to eat most of the time and people felt that Jennifer Lawrence didn't really give off that vibe I'm not saying I agree, I'm just saying that it wasn't "oh, she's fat and ugly", it was "she's not starving like Katniss". There was also the issue that Katniss was described at being olive skinned but the casting call asked for someone white and that made people mad too

It's interesting to see Charlie discuss the movie and his choice in playing the character. I would love it if he played Christian as the messed up sexist person that he is instead of romanticizing it
I'll probably download and watch the movie for Charlie, and also cause my watching it wont exactly help the movie make a profit

[TWENTY YEARS OF YOUNG AMERICANS!]
Join us for one l a s t celebration!♡
♪_where would we be without a little l o v e?
[ Sheida : Tumblr | Twitter | Instagram ]
Old 09-10-2013, 05:53 AM
Elite Fan

I think the book said dark hair and grey eyes and that all people from the Seam look very much alike while the town people stand out with their blonde hair and blue eyes like Mrs. E. - I can't recall there being anything said about skin colour. But I might have forgotten. And yes, I thought that was the case regarding Katniss' description - on the other hand, her actually starving was four or five years prior to the movie. I'd assumed her to have gained weight again now that they are more independent regarding food through her hunting. Furthermore, I'd expect her to be toned from all that running around in the woods, climbing trees, etc. - so somebody overly thin wouldn't have made sense in my eyes either. Not at that point anyway. But yeah... still. I also recall people calling Josh Hutcherson not being handsome enough. Oh and then there's the whole Madge fancast thing (since the character was omitted from the movie) where people are hating on Dianna Agron because she's a bitch and therefore can't fit the description - where I'm thinking, wait a moment - she PLAYED a bitchy character on 'Glee' how does that reflect on Dianna's character. Also it's a bloody fancast thing! That's when I decided that I just can't with this fandom or rather the people I encountered. And gosh... yeah... Demi - it makes me think that she'd better not have said anything really... people can be so cruel and unforgiving... /OT rant

Hah, I saw the book today at the supermarket. I suppose if (and that's a big if) I watch the movie, I take my mum. And no, she hasn't read it... anyway. I hope Charlie gets to make the character interesting.

Last edited by Nikki K; 09-10-2013 at 08:20 AM
Old 09-10-2013, 02:53 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Plus as far as TV is concerned tbh I sometimes get really annoyed by people being so streamline pretty
Oh God yes. it's not just TV either, lot of mainstream movies, too. But then, luckily, there is the counter-development of people like Tom Hiddleston or Benedict Cumberbatch being adored by fangirls worldwide even though neither is mainstream pretty. So that's a relief, at least? I too prefer interesting looks/faces, and mainstream looks/faces get so boring so fast. Like, if I have to look at another all-American blonde teen heartthrob, I might just have to scream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by street serenade (View Post)
I'm still up in the air about whether I'll be watching it. I certainly don't see myself seeing this in theaters, but I might rent or download it or something later on. I don't really want to, but on the other hand, I do want to see Charlie, plus if it is a trainwreck I imagine it'll be a brilliant and glorious one that will supply plenty of laughs.
I know I will end up watching it at some point, there is no way I can resist Charlie in a leading role I do hope that, if it turns out bad, it turns out really bad so we can mock the hell out of it. and even if I don't like the story, at least I hope it'll be pretty to look at, in a cinematographic way? [/movie geek mode]

Quote:
Originally Posted by s e r e n i t y (View Post)
It's interesting to see Charlie discuss the movie and his choice in playing the character. I would love it if he played Christian as the messed up sexist person that he is instead of romanticizing it
I would love that, too, so much (and I do think that this appeal might be one of the reasons the role spoke to him), but given that the core audience does romanticize the story, I don't think it's gonna happen, at least not on the surface.

Re: filming, the movie is as of now scheduled for an August 1, 2014 release, so they should get started soon? I guess SoA shooting is over (or almost over) now, and as soon as Charlie has the time they will do it?
Old 09-10-2013, 03:04 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
But then, luckily, there is the counter-development of people like Tom Hiddleston or Benedict Cumberbatch being adored by fangirls worldwide even though neither is mainstream pretty.
True but those are still young lads with a toned body who are most certainly attractive. Perhaps Mindy Kaling ('The Mindy Project') is an example but then again she is very pretty and only overweight in the eyes of well... Hollywood/Cosmo.

Idek. And yes to everything you said about the movie. I hope at least it'll be pretty to look at.

Charlie Hunnam - Cast members of the upcoming film 'Pacific Rim' leaving their London hotel - London, United Kingdom - Thursday 4th July 2013

Source: contactmusic.com

Old 09-11-2013, 01:39 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
True but those are still young lads with a toned body who are most certainly attractive. Perhaps Mindy Kaling ('The Mindy Project') is an example but then again she is very pretty and only overweight in the eyes of well... Hollywood/Cosmo.
Yeah, but at least they're not the blonde hair-blue eyes-sixpack abs-type of guys? and yes, Mindy is gorgeous (and this reminds me that I do need to watch The Mindy Project at some point!)

Is it weird that I cannot stop staring at that one strand of hair that is out of place?
Old 09-11-2013, 09:08 AM
Elite Fan

No, that's totally normal. I think it's kind of cute though.

I was surprised I really liked The Mindy Project - mainly because I expected it to be one of those comedies which draw their hilarity from the main character's miserable moments which is something that always makes me uncomfortable but it isn't. It's actually quite cute and funny.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:30 PM
Elite Fan

Cute I can live with

I've only heard good things about The Mindy Project so far
Old 09-13-2013, 02:37 PM
Elite Fan

And now you have it from me, a comedy-phobe.

"Sons of Anarchy" Season 4 Los Angeles Premiere - Arrivals. August 30, 2011

Source: exposay.com

Old 09-14-2013, 04:11 AM
Elite Fan

True, if you enjoy it, it must certainly be good!

Chaaaaarlie. Stop being so damn attractive all the time, please! Please don't.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:28 AM
Elite Fan

He looks very good in those pics - I really like his smile.

While everyone's talking about FSoG, I just looked and he has two other interesting movie projects going 'Triple Nine' with Cate Blanchett and Christoph Waltz - it's a heist movie and you all know how much I love those! And 'Crimson Peak' which is described as gothic horror/romance: Jessica Chastain , Mia Wasikowska and Tom Hiddleston are also starring. But you probably already knew that?

We need a new title/thread... any good Ryder or Jax quote? Or a quote from "50 Shames Of Earl Grey"?

“What I get out of our arrangement is you, submitting to my every whim,” he says. “And what you get is Earl Grey.”

“Could you at least act like you’re shocked? If you’re not shocked by how naughty and perverted my deviant tastes are, it kind of drains all the tension out of our relationship.”

I open my eyes and stare down at Mr. Grey and HOLY MOTHER EFFING SPARKLY VAMPIRES IS HE HOT.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Found two more pictures with Maggie Siff for your viewing pleasure... hopefully.

Actors Charlie Hunnam (L) and Maggie Siff attend the season 6 premiere of FX's "Sons Of Anarchy" at Dolby Theatre on September 7, 2013 in Hollywood, California.

Source: zimbio.com