Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2009, 10:49 PM
Part-Time Fan

Has anyone ever seen Legends of the Fall? Before Jake and Hamilton came to take the title of ultimate on screen couple I absolutely fell in love with Isabel Two and Tristan Ludlow...

I bawled my eyes out the first time I saw that movie (and pretty much ever subsequent time lol) I absolutely love the look on Brads face when he first lays eyes on a grown up Isabella Two talk about epic!

Old 03-09-2009, 03:01 AM
Dedicated Fan

Yeah I've seen Legends. I feel for Aidan Quinn's character, Alfred, though. I'd probably love it better if Tristan and Susannah did not get it on, Tristan only loving her from afar. Brothers or sisters falling for the same person is a pet peeve of mine. I don't really get it because my sister and I are the exact opposite when it comes to what attracts us in anything or anyone.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:42 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Hmm, I havent seen Legens of the fall
Though I also find the idea of brothers and sisters falling for the same person a bit weird

[TWENTY YEARS OF YOUNG AMERICANS!]
Join us for one l a s t celebration!♡
♪_where would we be without a little l o v e?
[ Sheida : Tumblr | Twitter | Instagram ]
Old 02-04-2010, 07:10 PM
Loyal Fan

"War and Love"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovea (View Post)
How about an alternate way of Hami finding out Jake's real gender?
Among the Young Americans fanfiction online, the piece I think most artful is an alternative version of YA (and includes an aternate way of Fleming's finding out Pratt's true gender). It's "War and Love," a three-part piece written by two students of scriptwriting back in 2003, and posted on the "other fiction" page of New Beginnings @ whosaiditsover.com. It is set at Rawley during the sophomore year of the protagonists, on the assumption that Hamilton Fleming did not attend Rawley during their freshman year.

"War and Love" reverses the emotional roles of the Hamilton Fleming and Jake Pratt characters. Fleming rather than Pratt is the emotionally troubled and needy character; his freshman year at another prep school did not go well and has left him traumatized. Jake is in good shape emotionally, having found a surrogate mother in Kate Fleming during her freshman year; she is now strong enough to respond to Hamilton's emotional distress -- reversing Hamilton's response to Jake's emotional neediness in Antin's storyline.

This is made explicit at the climax of the piece, when Fleming, having long since realised that the cross-dressing Pratt is a girl but not yet told her that he knows that, tells Jake that he has fallen in love with an unnamed girl (Pratt, of course) and asks Jake for advice. Jake responds:

Quote:
The right girl would ... be drawn to your neediness. ... It’s ... compelling. You know, like when you first got here: the brooding, the thinly veiled cries for help. You were dying to be saved.
Substitute "boy" for "girl," and that, in my view, is a good summation of the Pratt-Fleming storyline in YA.

Last edited by Finnegan; 02-04-2010 at 07:26 PM
Old 02-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Elite Fan

It's been years since I've read War and Love (I've moved on to different fic fandoms over the years), but I definitely remember how much I enjoyed it. The girls over at NB were always among the best writers in this fandom.
I think I'm gonna have to reread it soon to give you a better response than this But the parallelism of the story is definitely intriguing, and it just shows that, even if you reverse the roles, the story still works and turns out the same way.

Last edited by wolkenfuehlen; 02-08-2010 at 03:55 PM