Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2014, 03:28 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

Yeah, most emotional scenes are with him, he takes the brunt of it..
Old 08-14-2014, 09:30 PM
Passionate Fan

Just having a random memory moment that turned . . . ambiguous.

The Vikings had some interesting naming taboos. You didn't name people after gods (although gods' names could be part of a name, something that meant "belonging to Thor" for example). To give someone the name of a dead relative was to invite that person's soul to live in the newborn. King Olaf II mother is supposed to have crossed her legs in labor to try and keep him from being born till Olaf I sword could be brought from the burial mound for the naming. Evidently, this was supposed to create such a strong link that Olaf was later asked if he remembered not just his former life but his time in the burial mound.

I thought about this . . . and I thought about Neal Nolan.

What if NN has the other Neal's soul? What if Rumple knows this/hoped it would happen?

What if there's a Dark Magic thingy to make NN into the old Neal. . . ?

I know. Unlikely. After all, Olaf II is supposed to have gotten sick and tired of people asking him about remembering the tomb (although I don't think being sick of questions like that would be one of the reasons he converted to Christianity).
Old 08-15-2014, 03:29 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

Hmm interesting theory there Kel..
Old 08-15-2014, 03:50 AM
Master Fan

I don't think I'd want that. NN to become old Neal.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:21 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I wonder if Neal had a mentor who introduced to the name. He seemed really attached to it in early s3.

I don't want Baby Neal to become NC either, I have a tough time getting used to the name as it is
Old 08-15-2014, 05:32 AM
Master Fan

I don't. I think it was a wonderful gesture for Snowing to name thier child after a man that sacrificed himself to save everyone in town.

Not too many have acted so selflessly to save people not only that he knows but to strangers.
The only other man on the show that has done such a noble act is Charming. Rumple did as well but his main thoughts were for Belle and Bae
Old 08-15-2014, 09:20 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelaine (View Post)
The Vikings had some interesting naming taboos. You didn't name people after gods (although gods' names could be part of a name, something that meant "belonging to Thor" for example). To give someone the name of a dead relative was to invite that person's soul to live in the newborn. King Olaf II mother is supposed to have crossed her legs in labor to try and keep him from being born till Olaf I sword could be brought from the burial mound for the naming. Evidently, this was supposed to create such a strong link that Olaf was later asked if he remembered not just his former life but his time in the burial mound.
Well, the the naming of someone after a dead relative was common, actually - it was thought to invite the virtues of the ones you were named for. Not sure I would call what the Vikings believed in a soul per say - unfortunately a lot of sources about the Vikings were written afterwards, and through a Christian viewpoint, which colors how those sources saw Viking culture and faith. But the Vikings definitely believed in names having power. This is tied to their use of runes - runes weren't just letters, they were also powers.

As for Olav, all the stories about him were written well after his death and most of them were written to build him up as a saint and a symbol of Christianity. He might not even have been all that Christian himself. There were lots of legends about his death and birth. How much of each of them is true... Well, that's hard to say. Quite a lot of it is probably made up or embellished after his death.

/Vikingness

Anyway, I think baby Neal will very mjuch be his own person, but what virtues he will possess, we have to wait and see But perhaps the name will have a certain power for Rumple - to remind him of his son and perhaps do the best he can to honor that name.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:37 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Cam (View Post)
Well, the the naming of someone after a dead relative was common, actually - it was thought to invite the virtues of the ones you were named for. Not sure I would call what the Vikings believed in a soul per say - unfortunately a lot of sources about the Vikings were written afterwards, and through a Christian viewpoint, which colors how those sources saw Viking culture and faith. But the Vikings definitely believed in names having power. This is tied to their use of runes - runes weren't just letters, they were also powers.

As for Olav, all the stories about him were written well after his death and most of them were written to build him up as a saint and a symbol of Christianity. He might not even have been all that Christian himself. There were lots of legends about his death and birth. How much of each of them is true... Well, that's hard to say. Quite a lot of it is probably made up or embellished after his death.

/Vikingness

Anyway, I think baby Neal will very mjuch be his own person, but what virtues he will possess, we have to wait and see But perhaps the name will have a certain power for Rumple - to remind him of his son and perhaps do the best he can to honor that name.
Yeah, I think it's more likely that Gold will feel protective towards little Neal. While there's something to be said for stories with babies under threat (not all of it good, but let's skip that), it doesn't work for Gold, villain or not.

Thanks for the details on Vikings.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:58 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Cam (View Post)

Hope so..
Old 08-15-2014, 04:27 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelaine (View Post)
Yeah, I think it's more likely that Gold will feel protective towards little Neal. While there's something to be said for stories with babies under threat (not all of it good, but let's skip that), it doesn't work for Gold, villain or not.

Thanks for the details on Vikings.
Those are my forefathers

I could see Gold be somewhat protective of that baby. Obviously the name is one factor, but he is somewhat fond of the Charmings too. It might be a way to help him with the grief over his son, who knows.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:35 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonwen (View Post)
I don't. I think it was a wonderful gesture for Snowing to name thier child after a man that sacrificed himself to save everyone in town.
Totally agree.

Old 08-16-2014, 04:19 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

Aww the vid
Old 08-17-2014, 05:45 AM
Master Fan

The video is perfect and makes me sad..
Old 08-17-2014, 06:45 AM
Fan Forum Hero

It was a good gesture. However, I still have issues with it but I try to reassure myself that if Emmas okay with it than I will be too.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:47 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox24 (View Post)
It was a good gesture. However, I still have issues with it but I try to reassure myself that if Emmas okay with it than I will be too.
Emma was more than ok with it. She loved Neal, and her smile and happiness at hearing her parents name their child Neal was proof..

That should put you at ease