Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 06-08-2007, 10:29 PM
Part-Time Fan

Wuthering Heights - A PYOC/MYOC RPG

Note: This is inspired by the '92 movie version of Emily Bronte’s novel starring Ralph Fiennes and Juliette Binoche. This is a period soap-opera style RP set in the late 1700s so be warned. The drama will most likely be running wild.

Prologue

One dreary morning on the gray, English moors, and old man made his way back to his home, a large, gray manor known as Wuthering Heights, from a long journey. At home he greeted his family with a special surprise; from under his dark cloak he revealed a thin and very dirty urchin, a gypsy orphan whom he had found and taken pity on. The man, a Mr. Earnshaw, named the boy Heathcliff, and continued to raise him as his own son. Over the next few years Heathcliff would develop a growing friendship with Earnshaw's daughter Cathy as he stayed clear of her older brother Hindley who took a decided disliking to him.

When the old man passed away a year later Hindley became the master of the house, and Heathcliff was cast from the Earnshaw family to become a servant to the household....

The Story

Five years later, as Hindley and his young wife Frances are expecting a child, Heathcliff and Cathy discover that they love one another; they are each other's soulmate. One night, while spying on the neighboring Lintons of Thrushcross Grange, Cathy is involved in an accident which leaves her unable to return home before being nursed back to health by the wealthy family. Heathcliff returns to the house discouraged and worried.

At home, the rest of the household waits eagerly for Cathy's return, but as they will find, the woman that is to return to Wuthering Heights is not the same woman who left. The lifestyle of the Lintons has rubbed off on the naive Cathy... and so have the affections of the handsome young heir to the Linton fortune.

Rules
-The summer is upon us, so I should hope that you would post fairly often.
-B/G rule
-Though I encourage you to take the characters already provided, you may also choose an MYOC.

The Household of Wuthering Heights

Hindley Earnshaw

As head of the Earnshaw household, Hindley retains none of the kindness and charm with which his father ran Wuthering Heights in his day. Hindley is a cold man who commands authority over all and attempts to pass himself off as a good-natured gentleman in public. His love for his wife is far greater than he would ever let on, but in the mean time he eats, sleeps, and lusts over other women, all the while beginning to let the family home slip into disrepair.

Frances Earnshaw

No one is quite sure of Frances's origins. All the family really knows is that Hindley brought her home one year from his travels abroad. They had been married and that was that. Frances remains quiet and reserved most of the time, but one thing that cannot be denied is her unwavering faith to Hindley. Constantly she craves her husband's affection, especially as the date of their baby's birth draws nearer, but more often than not she finds herself brushed aside by Hindley's ignorance and indifference.

Cathy Earnshaw

The young and vibrant sister of Hindley Earnshaw, Cathy is a wild and free spirit. She lives straddling the line between heaven and earth, constantly in awe of the world she sees around her. Her strength comes from Heathcliff. She has always felt as though she and Heathcliff were cut from the same fabric, and so she is almost frightened to find that she seems to be pushing herself away from him now. She has marveled at what she has witnessed in the Linton household, and, in her constant search for a new wilderness to conquer, she now longs to be a part of it. Her new infatuation with Edgar Linton seems to be bearing fruit, and more and more her desire to commit to him grows stronger. Yet her love for Edgar is like the foliage in the wood; time will change it sooner or later. She is Heathcliff.
TB: Angelus'sslave

Heathcliff

Heathcliff is part man and part mystery... even to himself. Beyond the days he used to spend on the streets of Lancaster, the only life he's known is his life at Wuthering Heights. Granted there is a roof over his head, but anymore general society hasn't treated him much better than they did back then. He finds his solace, and his life, in Cathy, the one person he has ever completely devoted himself to. She is his muse and the one thing that gives his life meaning. Heathcliff is guided by his feelings and desires, and currently his greatest want is to make sure that Cathy stays with him. He is not typically a man of hate, but his actions may sometimes be considered tyrannical.
TB: writing_on_the_wall

Ellen Dean

Ellen has been the Earnshaw's housekeeper and family friend ever since the late Mr. Earnshaw was a younger man. In most cases Ellen is able to see things from a wider perspective and it is easy to approach her for advice. To Cathy who calls her 'Nellie', she is the only maternal figure the girl has ever known. She loves the girl like her own daughter even though she knows Cathy can often be foolish and irrational. Hindley isn't keen on treating her any better than a servant, and so that is the only role she plays in his life. Though she is calm and gentle with Heathcliff she fears the destructive man that he may become one day.

Joseph

Joseph has been a servant at Wuthering Heights longer than anyone currently living there can remember. A pious and often unsmiling man, Joseph is servant, teacher, and pastor to the household and also happens to be Hindley’s seemingly sole confidant outside of his wife. It’s rumored that he and Ellen were lovers in their younger years, even that he was responsible for getting her a job at Wuthering Heights, but neither of them have ever confirmed or denied this rumor.
TB: JoAFreak

The Household of Threshcross Grange

Abram Linton

The name of Linton stretches far back in England's wealth, and Abram has done everything in his power to keep the family's name unstained. He is a generous man, but alas he is the creation of his station in English hierarchy. His lifestyle has made him proud and haughty. His concern is for the family reputation. All other things come secondarily. Now ordinarily, if his son Edgar were to tell him that he was interested in a descendant of the Earnshaw family, Abram might just scoff. He himself though has become quite fond of the young Cathy Earnshaw, and if his son insists he might just consent to bringing her into the family.
TB: Angelus'sslave

Evelyn Linton

Always the perfect hostess, Evelyn is the graceful and elegant soul who lives to balance out her husband's strict demeanor. Evelyn doesn't really have much life outside of sharing in her husband's interests whatever those may be. Evelyn was brought up under the "dominant sex" rule which told her never to overstep her boundaries as a woman. To be quite honest, she's never really had a problem with that. She's comfortable to simply serve the men around her, and for that reason few people, even her own grown children, hardly even know what her personality is like.
TB: writing_on_the_wall

Edgar Linton

Young, handsome, and heir to a vast family fortune, there's not much else a young man such as Edgar could ask for. Well, apart from a young woman to spend the rest of his life with. Since the night that Cathy Earnshaw entered his house bruised and unconscious from her accident Edgar has found her irresistible. He knows that his father has pressed him to eventually marry "the right girl" but he feels that it won't take much convincing to persuade his father to have them wed. Cathy, after all, has a way of simply making people like her. Edgar is living proof of this.

Isabella Linton

As a young woman, Isabella Linton has become one of the most celebrated beauties in the region. Her striking features and her family heritage have sent many men wooing after her affections, but she chooses to stay very uncommitted. A man's good looks are not what interests her. Her deep-rooted passion arises for the man with an air of mystery behind him, and none of those which her father would like to marry her off to have ever had that. Though each one of them does have money, and that's the other thing that she wants. She carries her father's arrogance around with her, and it's really her love for her brother that pushes her to tolerate his current love interest, Cathy Earnshaw. That, and the fact that, as long as Cathy is around, there will be more opportunities to catch a glimpse of her handsome servant, Heathcliff.
TB: buffyandspike4ever

MYOC
These are available for those who want one. Unless you have an unusual idea, I'd like these to be kept as just some form of servant for either house, your pick. Though it's not necessary, it might also be helpful to pick a picture that fits into the time period. Think something like Sleepy Hollow or Pirates of the Caribbean.

*JoAFreak
*buffyandspike4ever(John Malkovich)

Last edited by writing_on_the_wall; 06-10-2007 at 02:25 PM
Old 06-09-2007, 06:58 AM
Master Fan

I'll take Joseph.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:09 AM
Loyal Fan

Cathy and I guess Abram since there is a B/G rule
Old 06-09-2007, 09:24 AM
Part-Time Fan

Got you added. JoAFreak, were you going to take another character or make an MYOC?
Old 06-09-2007, 06:46 PM
Master Fan

I will... MYOC, but not quite sure who yet.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:10 PM
Elite Fan

I'll be Isabella and a myoc (John Malkovich)

Last edited by dancingphalange; 06-09-2007 at 11:24 PM