Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2020, 06:27 PM
Fan Forum Legend

19/20 done to my happiness I've "made" one for the texture but not happy with it where gonna revisit it before submitting where got until the 20th at least
Old 11-08-2020, 07:41 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Ah, ok I missed that about the permit, but makes sense. Seems like you can keep anything as long as you have one

I think the octopus we have is just the common octopus.

Well, we are no longer really in the cone now. Eta turned sooner than they thought. Just getting wind and rain now. But we are back in the cone later in the week so week so we will see! This is one crazy storm.

That is good your numbers are going down Hanna. Hopefully the closure of the train does help even more

Not ready to work tomorrow Have a holiday right in the middle of the week which sucks.
Old 11-08-2020, 08:55 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Stay safe nevertheless my co-mod Jess whom you see a lot on Psych was also talking about the topical storm this evening where schools closed down where she is
Old 11-08-2020, 11:36 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Quote:
I think the octopus we have is just the common octopus.
ah ok, probably not a dangerous octopus then. The Blue Ringed Octopus is dangerous because its venom is quite bad. The octopus itself is tiny & colourful too which draws people in & its surprising how lethal such a tiny thing is

Quote:
These art challenges sound mentally tiring
I don't think so. But I also think it depends on the challenge & your skill level. This particular one is 20 icons in 20 days so that is quite a bit. But a simple icon challenge is just making one icon in about two weeks I think it is. You're also more open for the icon challenge. Then 20in20 challenge has set guidelines - you pick a topic (this time the topic was male characters, so we had to pick one male character each as our topic that we're working with), then at the start of the challenge they'll list the themes you need to follow for each icon. So that's where the challenge comes in as if you're not familiar with certain styles you may struggle with certain themes. Like the theme that Sarah had left "Paint Texture" - if you don't work with textures, you can struggle with this one. It can also depend upon your program as some people use restrictive programs so they will struggle to make things for certain themes. 20in20 is not a challenge for a beginner icon maker

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 11-09-2020, 09:40 AM
Fan Forum Legend

For the most part I still consider myself a beginner maybe an advance level of beginner

For the most part think there are 3 of us in that same level for the challenge than the rest are immediate/expert but as Chelle pointed out to me a couple months ago that sometimes it doesn't matter what level somebody is but voters POV and I have lucked out with a few of the challenges over on Fanart so myself am just going to make sure that the 19 good ones are their best

I did 20n20 in 2018 and managed alright didn't win anything where think if any texture got away with a picture that matched what I thought the theme was where one can mainly recall was pastel

This time around this "paint texture" is the only troubling one cause I got lucky and managed to learn how to do black/white and the shades one I just played with the colour levels

So learnt 2 new things and than the rest where easy to match with the screencapture

My problem with this paint is that I don't understand it guess will look again to understand it where maybe there is a screencap can get away with

Luckily am very happy with the other 19 icons and can deal with a single bad one
Old 11-09-2020, 12:09 PM
Graphics Team Manager

I meant beginner as in someone who has just started making art & is unfamiliar with different techniques, not your skill level. No one in the comp is likely to consider themselves an expert, however others may consider them that. Skill level can be very subjective. You've been making icons for quite some time now & while they may be more basic (for lack of a better term) compared to others you are not someone just starting out. I would put you as beginner/intermediate & part of what holds you back sometimes is your pictures & possibly even your program not you as an artist

Have you done any work with textures before?

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 11-09-2020, 12:20 PM
Fan Forum Legend

You are on SUPER early

True where that stage of beginning to make icons was almost 6 years ago now started for the most part beginning of 2015 so besides the almost a year break

Thinking not tbh I barely touched on brushes back when I was trying those banners and never got anywhere with them

Well some of the ones I made here recently was because I just got this new computer and than got that alternate program that Si told me about originally started out cropping from gallery instead of the crop tool in the program since than have found that Si was right that its similar enough to PS to make do with

Though am bypassing Holiday Competition this year which is alright cause mine weren't all that good anyways
Old 11-09-2020, 01:41 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
NCIS Franchise

Yeah, I know how the fan art challenges work, I'm just not into them

But I agree with Chelle, your skill level is definitely above "beginner" level Sarah

Steph, Eta seems to be another crazy storm system... With the possibility of "recharging again" over the sea/ocean...

Day 1 of home office done. No major issues, just the polite back & forth emailing ...

Tomorrow after work I'm going to the driving school to get the theory book & to arrange the lessons now that I've paid the deposit...
Old 11-09-2020, 01:43 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Glad going well with the working from home

Oh? Schooling?
Old 11-09-2020, 01:50 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
NCIS Franchise

Thanks

Yeah, I decided to go ahead and start taking driving lessons... Rainy windy winter weather should be the most ideal time of year, to start taking driving lessons ...
Old 11-09-2020, 01:51 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Good luck
Old 11-09-2020, 06:28 PM
Graphics Team Manager

It was only 6am, so not that early. I am working a different shift so need to be at work by 7.30 now.

Brushes & textures are two different things

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 11-09-2020, 06:29 PM
Fan Forum Legend

7:30am wow

Yea 6am for you was like 2PM am use to others that I know/knew from Aussie being night hawks

Than no haven't done textures before
Old 11-09-2020, 11:16 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Glad there were no major issues on your first day at home Hanna. Hope it continues for the rest of the week

The centre opens at 7am so my shifts can range from starting at 7am to 10am, & it closes at 6pm so my finish times can range between 3pm & 6pm. For a few months there I was doing either a 9.30 or 10am start & not finishing until 5.30 or 6pm. Now the centre director is back from her maternity leave, saw how unfair the roster had become in her absence, & fixed it. So now I'm doing an alternation between early & late shifts. For now I'm doing 7.30-3.30 one week (I think it'll have to be changed to 8-4 though), & 10-6 the other week. In the past I've done the open shift so was awake at 5.30/5.40 so I could catch the bus & be at the centre with enough time to open & set it up for the day before it officially opened.

With work I can't be a night owl. Need sleep to be able to deal with children all day . So me on around those times just means I'm awake & starting my day. I'm certainly not a morning person either but have to deal with it. I'm fortunate to be able to be working in an industry I love even if its not at a centre I love so won't complain on that one even if I'd rather sleep

Textures are basically like images which can alter the colouring, texture, ect. of an image. What I used to give my icons the pinkish colouring is a texture. There are some example textures here. If you Google 'photoshop paint textures' you should get some different options. Alternatively you could interpret that theme as meaning the character is standing near a painting or textured paint (if that makes sense), or even paint stroke brushes. It is up to you, but that's what I was talking about when it comes to textures. I'm not sure if you can add new brushes to your online program? You should be able to use textures though

I want to use one of the icons I've made now

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 11-10-2020, 07:35 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I'll look at that website later and also take your suggestion on a google search

Oh noes

Not sure if I'll be able to do an actual texture case doesn't look like the program will allow me to take an image and put it into another like would do with holiday fanart or can and haven't figured it out I may have a scene I can look at for the alternate though

Last edited by crash landing; 11-10-2020 at 08:18 AM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread