Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 05-14-2009, 08:51 AM
Master Fan

"Doomsday" - Smallville Season 8 FINALE: 5-14-09

8 hours to go!

May 11, 2009: "Smallville" - Season 8 Finale "Doomsday"

OFFICIAL CW EPISODE DESCRIPTION:

"Oliver (Justin Hartley) tells Clark (Tom Welling) he must kill Davis (Sam Witwer), as Doomsday is a serious threat and must be stopped at all costs. However, Clark struggles with taking a human life, so the Green Arrow and his team decide to take matters into their own hands. Lois (Erica Durance) takes on Tess (Cassidy Freeman), but the fight takes a shocking turn. Meanwhile, Chloe (Allison Mack) gets caught in the middle of Oliver and Clark's battle over killing Davis."

Written by Brian Peterson and Kelly Souders

Directed by James Marshall

Meanwhile, TV Guide has the following description for this same episode...

In the eighth-season finale, Oliver takes the lead when Clark exhibits resistance to killing Doomsday, and Chloe finds herself caught in the middle of the situation. Meanwhile, a fight between Lois and Tess takes a surprising turn.

DoomsdayTrailer

Director's Cut Scene

Web Preview Clip
That's my dream for these characters."
- Kaley Cuoco

Last edited by now.it.all.begins; 05-14-2009 at 09:04 AM
Old 05-14-2009, 09:04 AM
Fan Forum Star

Nora, I added in the ep info to your post.
I see e x t r a o r d i n a r y m a g i c in you
Rachel
Old 05-14-2009, 09:09 AM
Master Fan

Thanks Rachel.

I need that kiss to happen tonight. That'd definitely make this hiatus easier.
- Kaley Cuoco
Old 05-14-2009, 09:11 AM
Fan Forum Star

For sure. Especially if Clark initiated it.
Rachel
Old 05-14-2009, 01:36 PM
Elite Fan

OMGGG this is tonight . Im sooo excited.

The only thing I feel is you.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Master Fan

I can't wait!

♥ Charlie/Claire ♥ Clark/Lois ♥ Navid/Adrianna ♥ Landry/Tyra ♥ Chuck/Blair ♥
Old 05-15-2009, 03:35 AM
Master Fan

Okay, now that I've calmed down, here's my review.

The bad:
  • Jimmy's death. I get that PS2 got stuck in a stupid position, so I'll direct my anger at those who brought him to the show in the first place. It was utterly stupid to let fans get emotionally attached to this Jimmy and then say, "Guess what! It's not the real Jimmy! Aren't we just the smartest bunch, like evah?" Blah.
  • Chloe. PS2 said they were walking a fine line concerning Chloe's motives. And I'm sorry, but to me, what she did was absolutely NOT heroic, simply because I don't buy that all this time she really only loved Jimmy and never felt anything for Davis. She was interested in Davis even before she married Jimmy, so I call major BS on that one. And it pisses me off that Chloe is again worshipped for being a hero and doesn't take responsibility for her actions. At all. Also, I'm starting to feel that Lois cares way more about Chloe than vice versa. And unless these writers pull out a miracle in season 9, Chloe is officially dead to me.
  • Clark/Doomsday fight. That was it? The Lois/Tess fight was more intense and epic than that. That was such a huge letdown.
  • No hint about Lois' whereabouts whatsoever. So for all her fans know, she could be in the year 10.867 stranded on an island, or she could be having dinner with Shakespeare in 1580. Just great, PS2. So unless Rokk pre-programmed the ring, I'm going to have to assume that Lois is whenever she was thinking of in that moment. O-kay.
  • Davis. This character was a total WASTE. Why did you spend all season trying to establish that Davis is supposedly a good guy and then - even after he's seperated from Doomsday - have him kill Jimmy?! Yeah. I reeeeeeeeally feel sorry for poor Davis who was trapped with mean big Doomsy all season. NOT. Fail. Epic fail.

The good:
  • Lois. She really is my lifeline on this show. Her concern and unwavering loyalty to Chloe was heartwarming. Like Snap said, when Lois loves someone, she really loves them and would give her heart and soul for them.
  • Clark and Lois. The desk scene was intense. Clark wants to open up to Lois, but he's scared to do it as Clark because he knows it'd put her in danger. I like that Lois called it his "force field". It again goes back to what Chloe told Clark in Infamous, "Isn't a big benefit of protecting your secret from Lois getting to protect yourself from getting hurt?" That's still what it is, yet at the same time, he can't NOT open up to Lois, so he does it as the RBB. She's the only one he said goodbye to, the only one he told about his fate. And, assuming that it takes a few days to organize a funeral, he spent days searching for Lois before even contacting any of his friends to let them know he was okay.
  • Clark's "death". Bryan Singer once said that Lois Lane is Clark's human anchor. And she is. It's what makes him call her as the RBB and sustain that connection. Now he's lost her and thus his connection to humanity. Had Lois been in that last scene, she would not have accepted his pity party. And she would not have let him give up on himself. And when Clark finds Lois in season 9, he'll also reconnect with his human side. That should be quite an emotional reunion and I can't wait.

I won't rate this episode, though.
- Kaley Cuoco
Old 05-15-2009, 01:28 PM
Elite Fan

OMG Ive read your recap before watching the epi. How come Jimmy died? I would have prefered Chloe. I will post mine on monday once I will have watched the epi.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:52 PM
Master Fan

Worst. Finale. EVER. I'm so disappointed.

♥ Charlie/Claire ♥ Clark/Lois ♥ Navid/Adrianna ♥ Landry/Tyra ♥ Chuck/Blair ♥
Old 05-16-2009, 05:21 AM
Addicted Fan

I wrote down some notes after watching the finale for the first time. Here they are
Cliffhangers
Clark
- is it the real, alive Clark? (then “C.K. is dead” could be some sort of metaphor)
- some kind of ghost because he didn’t survive the explosion (makes that sense? I thought he can survive such things). Could explain why he disappears at the end
- did the death of Clark Kent cause the return of Zod?
- anyway: where did he go to in the end?
Lois
- why is she gone for so long? Isn’t that a contradiction to Infamous b/c Clark wasn’t. Is she stuck somewhere?
- how can she change things when she doesn’t know the powers of the ring?
- didn’t Clark notice that the ring is gone?
Other characters
Jimmy
- I'm really pissed that he's dead!
- super cute when he found out the truth about Clark
- he looked so proud
- def. too good for Chloe
- was the grave open?
Chloe
- too much screentime
- yeah, of course she did it all b/c she wanted to protect Clark…HELLO, WHO BELIEVES THAT?
- sorry Jimmy but you are wrong: Chloe is as much a hero as Clark? I doubt that
- Chimmy kiss??? Seriously??? More than cheesy
Lois (again)
- def. NOT enough screentime (no sign of her after 20 min)
- her fight with Tess was great and I laughed when she made that comment about Greenpeace
- the hand-ouch scene? Hilarious
- wow! She knows something about Aliens etc. now. Love it
- I can totally understand why she’s mad about Clark
- OMG her rambling again and the pause when she said “you just make me so *breathe*” and HIS little smile after that!!!
- “I want to meet you. I have to see your face. I have to see you. I want you to show me what you can’t show anyone else. You can trust me, please…”

Clark
- somehow I was like “argh” when he didn’t show her what he was typing
- “I have been keeping an eye on you” (Lois: “To be honest I was kind of hoping for that” )
- he was actually going to meet her! So was this to be our quintessential Clois moment?? Cause I still don’t get which one it was
- “I’ve been searching all over *pause* for Lois”
Oliver and JL
- I expected a bit more…don’t know why
Davis /Doomsday
- so Davis is dead now?
- Where did Doomsday go?

In conclusion: The episode was okay but I was hoping for more. All the questions… bugs me that we have to wait for the answers until September. Oh and it felt like the storyline was squeezed into 45 min.

Oh and didn't Erica say something about "Lois disappearing" and we all thought or hoped it was just a joke?

icon by *Nora*

Last edited by *Chrissi*; 05-16-2009 at 06:18 AM
Old 05-16-2009, 10:25 AM
Fan Forum Star

I'm still too pissed/sad to write a coherent review to what was the worst season finale SV has ever done. I can't even...ugh.
Rachel
Old 05-16-2009, 12:06 PM
Master Fan

Weeeeell, what can I say that hasn't been said already? It WAS disappointing. As hell. And not just because of the lack of Clois and Lois, the Jimmy retcon was incredibly stupid, lazy and just plain horrible. And killing him for the sake of... that character? Seriously, what a waste. Don't get me started on the santification of... that same character. The Chimmy scene pissed me off for all the "Chloe = hero" crap they pulled. Whatever, I shouldn't have expected more from these idiots. I think I should stop now, this stuff is for another thread anyway.

Now, the good stuff. For some reason, I liked the last Clark/Chloe scene. Clark was incredibly LOST. Seriously, I had never seen him THAT lost before. Sad, disappointed, angry, desperate... numb. I just wanted to give him a hug. But the thing is, he only wanted a hug from Lois, you could see it from the way he told Chloe about how he couldn't find her, even though he had searched for her everywhere. And the Clois/RBB scene? Yeah, it broke my heart. Didn't it kill you the moment when Lois asked to see what Clark was writing and Clark's little answer: "No." Daaaaaaamn, the way he said it!!! He was in torture, in so much pain. And then how suddenly he blurs off and calls her, that tells you how desperate he is to talk to her and get as close to her as he can. I was melting at that moment, with him being so sweet to her. "I've been keeping an eye on you." Again, the way he said it and his expression are enough to let us know how deeply he feels for her.

Lois is gone = Clark is lost. If that's not clear enough by the end of this season finale, then what is? I have no doubt. And though I won't ever, EVER take TPTB's words seriously again, (because really, who could ever trust these idiots again after promising so much and delivering so little?), I'm definitely on board for S9, and I can't wait. Clois is fine, Lois is fine, and Clark is gonna be fine the second he sees Lois again.

Bring on S9!

Old 05-17-2009, 06:53 PM
Elite Fan

That finale was disappointing . Where was Lois? almost no Clois moment , though their scene was quite cute. I agree that Clark was so sad that once again he had to gide the truth from Lois. Still she felt rejected, and Lois not happy makes me angry.
The Doomsday/Clak fight was so weak compared to the Lois/Tess one. I was so sad to see Jimmy dying. I loved his scene with Lois. Best friendship of the show IMO.
Indeed, Clark is completely lost and he feels like he has lost everything that meant to him. The last scene was completely confusing to me. I understood n o t h i n g.

Last edited by Motoko Ayoama; 05-17-2009 at 07:06 PM