Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2017, 10:49 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

He's really getting great reviews for this. I hope it leads him to more comedy opportunities.

I think that Taylor probably gets some odd satisfaction being referred to as a charming dirt bag.

Quote:
James Badge Dale is excellent in a supporting role as Marsh's hard-charging deputy, while Taylor Kitsch steals every scene he's in playing an impishly charming dirtbag.
'Only the Brave' is gripping story of firefighting heroes

Quote:
What Brave does spectacularly well is capture the camaraderie of people who risk their lives together—one guy, Mack (Taylor Kitsch), starts out despising Donut, but in one of the film’s best turns, they become best friends. (Seriously, the way that leap plays out is comedy in editing, and also, Kitsch is REALLY good.)
http://www.laineygossip.com/only-the...s-teller/48191

Quote:
From Brolin as the wise old salt to Teller as the new recruit to Taylor Kitsch as the adversary-turned-friend, there isn’t much about Only the Brave that isn’t cribbing from the classic Hollywood playbook. What elevates it is that the movie doesn’t cheat (much), it’s never explicitly propagandistic, and the cast is all of the highest caliber. Brolin, Teller, and especially Connelly are their typically brilliant selves, but even Kitsch ups his game, belatedly becoming the actor Hollywood needed him to be five years ago.
‘Only The Brave’ Review: A Moving Elevation Of Beer Commercial Myths

Last edited by worthyoflove; 10-18-2017 at 11:15 AM
Old 10-18-2017, 02:22 PM
Addicted Fan

With all these glowing reviews, I'm starting to wonder if the movie has an actual chance at Oscar. The devastating California wildfires might make it even more worthy in Academy members' eyes.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:32 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

It'll probably end up along the lines of IT and American Made, review-wise. It's at 91% now. I'll be happy if it stays in the 90's. We'll see. There's no real Oscar buzz with it as of yet (outside of the song)...if it doesn't have a strong box office I fear it might get buried. Unless Sony and Black Label Media have an Oscar push plan.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:40 PM
Master Fan

They are calling Christopher Mackenzie a dirtbag. I was a little offended by that. I think he deserves a little more respect, a little kinder word perhaps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthyoflove (View Post)
I think that Taylor probably gets some odd satisfaction being referred to as a charming dirt bag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorybear (View Post)
At the LA premiere last week, Miles seemed to have an attitude with fans. He said ABSOLUTELY nothing to any of us. I was lucky to get a pic with him, but he barely interacted with ppl. He signed autographs, didn’t smile or say anything. I wasn’t impressed. I agree with you regarding today’s interview. He was rude.
That sucks. I hate to hear that, but he does seem like a bit of a punk.

Quote:
but even Kitsch ups his game, belatedly becoming the actor Hollywood needed him to be five years ago.
This makes me cringe. So untrue.

It's only supposed to make $6 million the first weekend? That's so sad. Maybe it will surprise everyone. I would be shocked if James Brolin isn't nominated, really, I will.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:50 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Sadly I think we'll be looking at CGI and maybe sound as Oscar nominations. Yes, the performances are really really good but for whatever reason they just don't have that buzz. Unless Black Label (which LaLaLand was their property) really pushes for it I just don't see nominations happening, at least in acting categories.

Edit, I say there's no Oscar buzz and then immediately following my post see Oscar buzz...you might be right about the critical acclaim but not larger mass appeal, those sometimes tend to be the Oscar favorites. I could see Josh/Jennifer being nominated, supporting actress category is generally kind of wide open and Jennifer is more than fitting for a nomination there. Dare I say sometimes the Globes are weird and could nab a few unexpected nominations... This is going to give me FNL flashbacks, hoping against hope for those Emmy nominations to see them never come (until later seasons of course).

Quote:
Led by Oscar Nominee Josh Brolin (Who may very well get another nomination for this one), the cast is great.

Later in the review: I predict multiple Oscar Nominations from the Academy as well.
http://www.foxforcefivenews.com/only...tshots-review/

I know I've asked myself before what would I rather have, box office success for Taylor or critical acclaim (one day can we ever have both?) and I think my answer is now very very clear. I'll take critically acclaimed any day.

The predictions are kind of all over the place this weekend because there are so many movies coming out and none that are supposed to do huge numbers. So it's being estimated from anywhere from 6-9 million.

So there is absolutely the chance that the reviews and word of mouth could give it a bump. Lone Survivor was only supposed to do around 18 million but they underestimated how the "flyover/red states" were going to come out in droves to see it and if i remember correctly it did closer to 30 million. If the grass roots honor your first responders marketing campaign has worked (Josh was on Fox News a bunch too) then maybe it'll surprise.

Like this review says, 20 years ago with a movie like Backdraft or Twister this would be a huge hit, but in todays (pardon me but honestly really ****ty) movie going landscape, it's a hard sell.

Quote:
Watching ONLY THE BRAVE I couldn’t help but think that twenty years ago this would have been a Jerry Bruckheimer-level A-list tentpole summer release. It’s so seemingly commercial it hurts. It’s a star-laden movie with an interesting, based-on-fact, premise, amazing CGI effects, and tons of human interest to tug at the heartstrings. Yet, in the modern film landscape, ONLY THE BRAVE is so dicey a prospect that one company (Lionsgate) actually sold it off to another (Sony), and despite mostly positive reviews, no one’s expecting it to make a dent at the box office. In the nineties, this would have been another TWISTER.
The review ends with:

Quote:
Were the movie biz fair, this would be a blockbuster.
Review: Only the Brave - Movie News | JoBlo.com

Last edited by worthyoflove; 10-18-2017 at 06:44 PM
Old 10-18-2017, 08:31 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I don't want to hear 20 years ago... what is wrong with the movie industry NOW that this won't be big? UGH!
Old 10-19-2017, 07:33 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

So Joe and Taylor met a year prior to filming OTB to discuss working together on a dark comedy, that clearly didn't get green lit, but maybe now with the great mentions Taylor is getting in this, in a more comedic role, he'll get a chance to do that dark comedy we've so desperately been wanting.

Quote:
Another surprising aspect of this movie is Taylor Kitsch, who is just incredible. Can you talk about working with him?

I had met Taylor before and knew I wanted to work with him on something. It speaks to the power of the story that I was able to get those six actors together in one film. Each of them could shoulder their own film. But the sign of an amazing actor is when they take a role like Taylor did with Chris MacKenzie, and make it stand out. It really feels like a much bigger role and that's because he made it that. It allowed Taylor to show a side of his personality that I haven't seen him do a lot.
https://www.moviefone.com/2017/10/19...-jeff-bridges/

Quote:
Taylor Kitsch talks about his key role in the new film based on GQ's story about the men who battled the 2013 Yarnell Hill wildfire.

When I first asked if I could get an interview with Only the Brave star Taylor Kitsch, he immediately volunteered to call me that afternoon—in the middle of his vacation in Yellowstone National Park. After driving around for a half hour, Kitsch finally found a spot in the park where he could get a cell phone signal—and all so we could chat about a movie that wouldn’t even be out for another four months.

This unusual level of effort for a simple phone interview speaks to the unusual level of passion possessed by the cast and crew of Only the Brave. The film, which hits theaters on Friday, tells the harrowing true story of the Yarnell Hill Fire, which blazed through Arizona in June of 2013, and the heroism of the men who battled it. "It’s a special one, man," Kitsch told me back in July. "It’s a really important story. We want to honor the legacy [the Granite Mountain Hotshots] built. And it couldn’t be more relevant," Kitsch said. As he pointed out, there were 180 separate wildfires raging on at the time, "and every year—because of climate change and a lot of other factors—it’s happening more and more."

With Only the Brave arriving in the midst of a a particularly devastating wildfire season in northern California, its story of heroism feels particularly timely. "My best friend is about to lose his cabin. Third generation," Kitsch told me. "These [fire] seasons used to be six months, and now they’re eight months."

Kitsch came to the movie practically by chance, with basically no knowledge of the unique challenges posed by wildfires. "I actually met with [director Joseph Kosinski] maybe even a year earlier for a different project, a dark comedy he was developing," says Kitsch.

"And then this script came, and I read it. I had no idea what a hotshot was, or any part of that whole profession or culture."

But Kitsch, along with the rest of the Only the Brave cast, got a quick education in the reality of life as a hotshot: everything from "water drops," in which massive tanks of water are dropped on a wildfire with enough pressure to destroy a house, to "burnouts," in which hotshots light controlled fires to interrupt a wildfire’s "fuel supply" and limit the spread.

And then, of course, there was the process of shooting a movie in the midst of massive, actual fires. "I’ve worked with some pretty intense stuff—but 20- or 30- or 40-foot fires, that’s no joke," says Kitsch. "That gets hot, man. Real quick."

To get the actors ready to credibly portray such a difficult and technical job, Joseph Kosinski sent them on an extended training trip. "We did a really great boot camp, and some of the hotshots who worked with the real guys were our leaders," Kitsch told me. "They were awesome with us, and so patient. It was roughly 10 days. Sunup to sundown. We even all slept out one night, under the stars together. You’re growing together because you’re learning together. And something like this, that’s bigger than all of us… You’re already on the same page."

One thing that immediately stands out about Only the Brave is the all-star cast assembled by Kosinski: Miles Teller, Josh Brolin, Jeff Bridges, Jennifer Connelly, and Kitsch, among others. At a time when it’s harder and harder to get this kind of mid-range, adult-oriented drama produced in Hollywood, the participation of so many big-name actors was crucial. "You need to get these kinds of lineups, actor-wise, to get movies like this greenlit—and still, the budget wasn’t crazy," says Kitsch.

Kitsch plays Chris MacKenzie, a 30-year-old hotshot who had ten years of firefighting experience under his belt. (You can read more about MacKenzie and the Yarnell Hill wildfire in the GQ story "No Exit," on which Only the Brave is based.) Like most of the men who battled the Yarnell Hill fire, MacKenzie died in the blaze. "To play someone who has passed… you know, I think that’s the ultimate honor for an actor, to be asked to do something like that," says Kitsch.

And as he crafted his performance, Kitsch had a valuable confidant: Brendan "Donut" McDonough, the real-life hotshot who worked alongside MacKenzie (played by Miles Teller in the film). "Having Donut to tell me—that was a huge part of it. People who worked with Mack, and partied with Mack, and hung out with Mack," Kitsch says. "That’s the best way to get any real information. Through the memories, and those good times they had together."
https://www.gq.com/story/taylor-kitsch-only-the-brave
Old 10-19-2017, 12:00 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Their scene in the movie together is super cute. I'm going again tonight to see it.

Quote:
ralster23 Go see Only the Brave this weekend.
The sacrifice every fireman gives to keep us safe is shown through the story of these 20 men. The commitment from the actors and filmmakers resulted in a beautiful tribute.
Thanks, Taylor, for being a great scene partner. And for appreciating Gregory Alan Isakov as much as I do.
#onlythebrave #taylorkitsch #milesteller @joshbrolin @scott_haze @mikenulty @dylzenvision @jakepicking @laurenmyers99 #gregoryalanisakov #josephkosinski #blacklabelmedia
Old 10-19-2017, 08:46 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Their scene in the movie together is super cute. I'm going again tonight to see it.

Awesome! I’m going again Saturday!!
Old 10-19-2017, 08:57 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

It's always so interesting to see how audiences respond differently, this time didn't get as many laughs (Taylor's scenes always got the most laughs) but I could hear people audibly crying toward the end. Saturday I didn't hear crying but there was a lot of laughing.

Kiki, I've seen a lot of Oscar buzz for it today with the reviews staying at around 90% on Rotten Tomatoes. People think it's a sleeper Best Picture nomination. I think it's really really a sleeper unless Black Label Media has had this planned all along and aren't super concerned with the box office (they're the one that put the $6 million number projection out there) and are anticipating and planning on an Oscar push. I could actually pick out Jennifer and Josh's Oscar "scenes" today.

I got some clarification on one of Taylor's scenes.

Spoiler:
Old 10-19-2017, 09:54 PM
Master Fan

I probably won't be able to see it again until Sunday. Then I'll go again with my firefighter friends whenever they go. I went to see Guns n' Roses last Thursday night with one of the guys and he said they will probably have to wait a week or two to get everyone together that wants to go. He doesn't need to know that I will have already seen it twice!

I'm going to have to look at Jennifer with fresh eyes. I'm just not feeling her. But Josh, yes, totally on board. And maybe even Taylor too. You never know! Some of his reviews have actually brought a tear to my eye. Maybe at least a Golden Globe nom. in the cheesy comedy/musical genre. Although, I guess OTB wouldn't be considered a comedy even though Taylor's role clearly was. But then again, Matt Damon won in that category for The Martian which clearly was not a comedy either. So silly.
Quote:
Kiki, I've seen a lot of Oscar buzz for it today with the reviews staying at around 90% on Rotten Tomatoes. People think it's a sleeper Best Picture nomination. I think it's really really a sleeper unless Black Label Media has had this planned all along and aren't super concerned with the box office (they're the one that put the $6 million number projection out there) and are anticipating and planning on an Oscar push. I could actually pick out Jennifer and Josh's Oscar "scenes" today.

I got some clarification on one of Taylor's scenes.

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 10-19-2017, 10:03 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

There have been a lot of just mentions on twitter or in reviews that Taylor is absolutely the stand out supporting actor and the scene stealer. Which, I of course agree, but I'm biased. But just based on audience reaction alone I'd have to agree with that assessment too. Golden Globes are weird, award season is weird, sometimes you get these movies out of nowhere that just take off and maybe this is one of them. It's also very political and how much campaigning the production company does for it. Black Label Media had La La Land last Oscar season so they know what they're doing.

One example of the Taylor love:

Last edited by worthyoflove; 10-19-2017 at 10:29 PM
Old 10-20-2017, 08:00 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

A lot of other video reviews, keep hearing people say they think it'll be in play when Oscars come around. Golden Globes are only a little over two months out, it could happen...

Made 350K last night. Word of mouth is so good I hope that helps, and all the other releases this week have horrible reviews. So, fingers crossed.

Quote:
Only the Brave fired up $350,000 in Thursday-night previews.

Directed by Joseph Kosinski, Sony and Black Label Media’s real-life drama introduces the Granite Mountain Hotshots, the heroic team of Arizona firefighters who fought the deadliest wildfire in history, resulting in the death of 19 crewmembers. Josh Brolin, Miles Teller, Jeff Bridges, James Badge Dale, Taylor Kitsch and Jennifer Connelly star in the film. Opening in 2,575 theaters, the film is predicted to debut in the $7 million range, but there's room for upside.
Weekend Box Office: 'Only the Brave' Fires Up $350K in Thursday Previews | Hollywood Reporter
Old 10-20-2017, 08:03 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

This makes me happy!
I am so excited for them!

Quote:
A lot of other video reviews, keep hearing people say they think it'll be in play when Oscars come around. Golden Globes are only a little over two months out, it could happen...

Made 350K last night. Word of mouth is so good I hope that helps, and all the other releases this week have horrible reviews. So, fingers crossed.

Weekend Box Office: 'Only the Brave' Fires Up $350K in Thursday Previews | Hollywood Reporter
Old 10-20-2017, 08:47 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

It's interesting they're doing so many Fox News spots. This is similar promotion to Lone Survivor which surprised. So Taylor obviously did this sit down when he was in New York, it's short, but he gets a Covenant shoutout.

Closed Thread   Post New Thread