"One Week" - Movie Discussion & News #2

One Week
Movie Discussion and News Thread

Production Photos and Behind the Scenes Images

First Thread:
http://www.fanforum.com/f30/one-week...news-62814005/

Trailer:

Recent photos:

Well, we've made it through the first thread and now we embark on the opening week of the film.

If anyone gets a chance to see it, feel free to post your comments here. We'd love to hear what you have to say.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:37 AM
Master Fan

New articles and the first one features a new interview with Josh:

TheStar.com | Entertainment | Actor says indie movie speaks to challenges of generation

TheStar.com | Entertainment | One Week's lasting impression

From Toronto to Tofino road movie - Peterborough Examiner - Ontario, CA
Old 03-04-2009, 01:03 PM
Master Fan

RE: Showtimes

Okay, here's what I've found out.

The showtimes etc. should be showing up on Cineplex.com, empiretheatres.com, landmark.ca and AMC theatres websites starting tomorrow if not Friday, then.

It'll be on 60 screens across Canada. And the official site, One Week | Contest Home will be updating the "free screenings" section to links for the theatres and showtimes, most likely on Friday.

The 'informal' premiere will be tomorrow in Toronto @ 7pm at the Toronto University Cinemas (yes, this is one of the 'free screenings' that was available on the site). Some of the cast/crew, etc. will be there, but I don't know if Josh will be.

The after party will be at Roots on Bloor St., but you must have your invite/movie stub to enter.

I hope this helps all of you that were inquiring about it! I'll be sure to post this on my site, too.

ETA: Just received word that Josh WILL be scheduled to be there tomorrow. He's just confirmed.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Supreme Fan

He just HAD to be there. This is exciting. Anyone who gets to go, please report back and say "Hi!" to Josh from us!

~Donna
Old 03-04-2009, 07:15 PM
Extreme Fan

I'm so glad Josh is going. I think he needed to be there, considering that he was not able to be at the TFF screening, if you know what I mean.

It seems to be opening up in alot more cinemas than a small indie movie would, so I hope that Canadians go out and support the film. I hope they give it time though, because Watchmen (which will be huge) opens this weekend too.

The movie seems to have got favourable word of mouth, according to one of the articles above. It's been shown at alot of film festivals. So, hopefully word will get out about the film, as it's always very difficult for indie movies.

There seems to be web difficulties for Josh being able to answer the questions asked on the movie webpage. I was hoping that they would have fixed it, as I was looking forward to reading his replies. Oh, well.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:12 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiechic (View Post)
There seems to be web difficulties for Josh being able to answer the questions asked on the movie webpage. I was hoping that they would have fixed it, as I was looking forward to reading his replies. Oh, well.
It seems that it's working fine for me.

Our own maa got her question answered!

Question:
"The trailer for One Week has me eager to see more, but I just can't get to Canada right now (I did spend part of October 2007 in Vancouver & vicinity and October 2009 in eastern Canada (Toronto to Nova Scotia to PEI). As one of the executive producers on One Week as well as the lead actor, would you be willing to bring this film to US audiences via showing it to small groups interested in indy films(such as Camera 12 Cinema Club)? Tim Sika interviewed you while you were in the San Francisco area promoting Bobby and he is in charge of the aforementioned group. That is where I first saw the indy film Once and you know what happened with that film." Mary-Ann, Thats more a question for Mike and Mongrel Media. I think the game plan is to try and make some waves in Canada first and then try to bring the movie into other countries after that. But the short version of the the answer is yes, absolutely we would love to bring the movie to as many audiences as possible. In fact the method you are talking about a small 'platform' release is exactly how we have gone about releasing the movie here in Canada. Building up the good word of mouth by screening for small groups before a larger release. Perhaps we will follow the same model down south, stay tuned. – from Mary Ann Athens

Answer:
Mary-Ann, Thats more a question for Mike and Mongrel Media. I think the game plan is to try and make some waves in Canada first and then try to bring the movie into other countries after that. But the short version of the the answer is yes, absolutely we would love to bring the movie to as many audiences as possible. In fact the method you are talking about a small 'platform' release is exactly how we have gone about releasing the movie here in Canada. Building up the good word of mouth by screening for small groups before a larger release. Perhaps we will follow the same model down south, stay tuned.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:21 AM
Dedicated Fan

Air Canada enRoute

Quote:
Joshua Jackson
The actor travels from Toronto to Tofino in his latest film.

Illustration by Silja Götz

Share This Print

Why do you think so many Canadians feel the need to explore their own country?
The frontier idea is still very much a part of our makeup as Canadians. Also, if you’re not moved by the scale of our country, there’s something wrong with you. As soon as you come out of those stretches of flat land and get to the Rockies, and you get on the windward side of them, and then you roll down toward the Pacific Ocean, there’s no other country in the world that has that kind of majesty.

Why does Canada have so many giant roadside attractions like the Big Nickel?
Part of it comes out of a bygone era, which is that 1950s road tourism idea, like, “We need to make ourselves stand out! How do we stand out? We’ll have the Wawa Goose!” You go out into Canada, and you’re just a tiny speck of dirt in this gigantic and – if you let it be – overwhelming space. That’s kind of the point of the film: You have to be overwhelmed and humbled in the face of it to really know who you are.

Apparently, the giant thermometer in White River, Ontario, doesn’t even work!
We’re so aware of our own mortality. Something needs to exist to prove that our time here was worthwhile. But from the moment those things are put up, they’re in decay.

In your opinion, what is the most awesome part of Canada?
I’m really biased because I’m such a West Coast boy. Nothing touches the Rocky Mountains.

What was the last spontaneous trip you took?
I’ve been living in New York for the last few months filming a TV show, and I’ve been exploring the Northeast every weekend. I just get on my bike and run out of town.

Age 30
Profession Actor
Location New York
Claim to fame Played Pacey on Dawson’s Creek
Latest project Stars in Fringe, as well as the Canadian film One Week, about a young man who finds out he has stage four cancer and decides to motorbike across the country
Last vacation Flew to Berlin to visit his girlfriend for 48 hours
Next vacation Australia
Travel essential Just cash and a passport
Favourite souvenir A miniature Eiffel Tower someone gave him that he feels too guilty to throw away

Published: March 1, 2009.
Thanks, Mary.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:25 PM
Master Fan

Thanks, bearlee.

And *ouch* this is a little embarassing.

Looks like there is a one-page ad out in Canada that features comments from YouTube posters in relation to the TRAILER. But, they didn't line up the people's comments right.

Basically, if someone made a comment, they connected their name with the comment made above them, not their own comments.

From: Hold It Now And Watch the Hoodwink - Torontoist: Toronto News, Culture, Events, Photos, and Everything Else

Eek. But, hey! Patty got a shout out, even if she was quoted wrong (she's the first one on the list)
Old 03-05-2009, 02:13 PM
Loyal Fan

Mandy, thanks for posting Josh's answer on FF otherwise I would have never known! I cannot find my questions (there were 2) or his response on the One Week site. There is no way to scroll down to the older questions, so I couldn't find mine. Anyway, thanks for posting it. I guess I will never get his answer regarding Burden.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:55 PM
Master Fan

Josh looks great in that ad!

Can't wait to read the comments when people finally see the movie!
Behind blue eyes
Avi by jo0ojz@livejournal
Old 03-05-2009, 03:31 PM
Banned

Shows how much the studio wants to push this movie This is a balant insult to Josh and the makers of the film. Now, Best Week even got a hold of it. Now there is no way this film will be taken seriously now. Michelle Williams gets more respect than this trash.

Remember, this is not directed at anybody here, this is my personal frustration at the ad.

Last edited by JoshandChristinaCursed; 03-05-2009 at 03:42 PM
Old 03-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Obsessed Fan

I actually like the ad, thanks for posting it.

Nadia
Avi Credit: Beth
Old 03-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshandChristinaCursed (View Post)
Shows how much the studio wants to push this movie This is a balant insult to Josh and the makers of the film. Now, Best Week even got a hold of it. Now there is no way this film will be taken seriously now. Michelle Williams gets more respect than this trash.

Remember, this is not directed at anybody here, this is my personal frustration at the ad.
It is really weird how they approached this ad, but I don't think it's a blatant insult to Josh. More like someone that didn't follow through with how YouTube posts comments, poor research.

That being said, I came across this article that lists everything that this company has done to promote the film, and it's quite impressive, actually:

Cinema Eye: Creative Marketing for "One Week"

Oh, and if you visit the Official One Week Facebook and view some Fan Submitted Photos, you'll find an amazing display at the Toronto Roots store. I'd say their doing a lot more than most indies get.

Quote:
Canadian distributor Mongrel Media is using creative ideas to promote Michael McGowan’s One Week, a film that showcases the beauty of Canada while it tells he story of a young man (Joshua Jackson) who, after being diagnosed with cancer, eschews treatment, leaves behind his fiancée (Liane Balaban), hops on a intage motorbike and takes a road trip from Toronto to Tofino, BC.

With the film opening March 6 on 60 screens across Canada, Mongrel’s marketing campaign has already kicked in.

For starters, Canadians are flocking to the film’s website (One Week | Contest Home), responding to the request to “show us the best place in Canada to spend one
week.” They have been posting their own photos and videos, extolling such spots as Cooper Jack’s Cove, Nfld., or Bakers Narrows, Man, or Golden, BC.

The website also asks viewers to finish the sentence “If I had one week to live I’d…” Answers range from the serious (find my adopted daughter)
to the sentimental (fly to New York and tell my best friend I’m in love with him) to the sublime (try a new hairstyle or – yes! – go see One Week.)

Among the other promotions:

Air Canada is playing the One Week trailer on all its flights.

Roots Canada is playing the One Week soundtrack in all its Canadian stores and is exhibiting behind-the scene stills in its flagship store in Toronto.

Cineplex is screening a One Week 2-minute pre-show in all its theatres.

Mongrel is running a One Week “Win a Trip for Two to the Rockies,” sponsored by Air Canada and Fairmont Hotels.

One Week is proudly Canadian. It was shot in over 20 locations between Toronto and Tofino, BC, with stops at quirky tourist sites like the “world’s biggest” nickel, tepee, dinosaur et al. The film is fuelled with Canadian indie music, with songs by the likes of Sam Roberts, Stars, Great Lake Swimmers, Wintersleep and Patrick Watson. Singer Emm Gryner not only stars in the film but also performs “Un Canadien Errant,” a French-Canadian folk song from the 1840s. Tragically Hip’s Gordon Downie and singer Joel Plaskett appear in cameos. Campbell Scott narrates.

The film debuted at the 2008 Toronto Film Festival, where it screened as a Gala Presentation. It also won the Audience Award at the 2008 Edmonton Film
Festival and Best Canadian Feature at the 2008 Calgary Film Festival. This is the second film by Toronto writer/director McGowan (Saint Ralph). Producers are Nick de Pencier (Manufactured Landscapes), McGowan and Jane Tattersall.

Mongrel Media has successfully marketed many Canadian films, including Water (grossed $2.2 million domestically), The Corporation ($2 million domestically)
and Away From Her and Bollywood/Hollywood (each $1.5 million domestically).
Old 03-05-2009, 04:26 PM
Banned

I believe people are more interested in reading "real" reviews not ones for a trailer. Its pure laziness.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshandChristinaCursed (View Post)
I believe people are more interested in reading "real" reviews not ones for a trailer. Its pure laziness.
Actually, this is an INDEPENDENT movie. Reviews will be limited. Plus, people haven't started to really see this movie and give reviews until last week and this week.

If you read the header of the ad, it says, ALL OF CANADA IS TALKING.

It's not the reviewers, but the actual PATRONS that are talking about the film and how much they want to see it. Reviewers are paid (usually) for their service, people want to hear word of mouth from real viewers. It's not an entirely bad idea, but it could have been executed a little differently, IMO.

Don't hate if they put your name of ANNATORVFAN and gave you the wrong quote. You weren't the only one. Besides, the name changes on a daily basis, anyways.

I just think the intention for this was good, but since it's not a full fledged release, they aren't going to get the same sort of tag lines that other movies do for their ads.

Maybe after it's had a weekend of being seen in more theaters?