Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2009, 07:28 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Can we haz it? Even though I'm not really ready. XD
Visit DCook & AI
Old 06-26-2009, 09:16 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I'm sorry it took a while but I'm here now!

Ideas of what to discuss: what you like about the song, what you possibly don't like about it, how it ranks on your "list" if you have one, what do you think the lyrics mean, do you have a favorite line/part of the song, what do you think of the melody, the first time you heard it (if you remember) or anything else you can think of. Basically as much or as little as people feel comfortable with. Hopefully we'll have nice discussions.

Without further ado, the first song (I actually had to check the track listing because I don't think I've ever listened to the tracks in order ):

01. Straight Ahead

Lyrics:

I've got questions for you
You've got answers untrue
I can walk these circles all night long
Take a pill and sleep off
Everything you can think of
Walking all these circles to a song
Could you play me something new?

So take a minute just to breathe
And think of everything you wanted
And what you got instead
Is it a labor just to see
Around the left, the right, over my head
To straight ahead

Find a new way to feel right
Between this time a fistfight
I can read the circles 'round your eyes
This is life, this is no rhyme
Find a beat, find the right time
To organize the circles to a song
Could you play me something new?

And what you got instead
To straight ahead, yeah

And what you got instead

And what you got instead (what you got instead)
To straight ahead, yeah

--------------

Am I right or is this one of the few (if not the only) songs on AH that isn't about breaking up? Also his love for the word "circle" is very evident.

This was actually my initial favorite after I had heard the album for the first time back in spring '08. I still love it, it's there up on my list which has recently become a lot more even than it was so it's hard to determine how high. I absolutely adore the melody during the verses, it's gorgeous! And I do love all the repetition of the word "circle". I also remember the first two lines of the song really appealing to me when I first heard it and they still do, there's something about that rhyme. And of course the live performances of this song rock, one of my favorites was in the Philippines.

Ok, I'll probably think of more to say later but here's something to get us started. Hopefully as many people as possible will participate (since you don't even have to have AH, you can listen to the song here ).

Your turn, ladies.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:52 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I haven't got to take my notes yet, so I'll come back with all my stuff to say about it when I do it tomorrow

But your post is beautiful bb!

Quote:
I actually had to check the track listing because I don't think I've ever listened to the tracks in order
I know! When I DLed AH way back in the day it didn't come in the order of the original track listing so it always confuses me too.
Visit DCook & AI
Old 06-27-2009, 12:00 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Aw, thank you!

And I'll be looking forward to what you have to say.

The way I'm thinking we'd be commenting back and forth on each other and really have a discussion so people won't have to say everything right away. Someone may have some point of views you never considered, you know? D'aww, I'm getting pretty excited!

Quote:
I know! When I DLed AH way back in the day it didn't come in the order of the original track listing so it always confuses me too.
I don't think mine did either because I listened to Don't Say A Word first, but maybe the title just piqued my interest, I can't remember anymore.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

So, yeah I still haven't "taken" any notes like I planned... but Imma start anyway.

So this line...

Quote:
And what you got instead
Has been like... one of my fave off AH since forever. You know a song means something when it actually makes you do what it's saying...
Things don't always go right in life but you should still keep going, putting along...

I may have just made this all up in my head.
Visit DCook & AI
Old 07-04-2009, 06:36 PM
Fan Forum Legend

(Sorry for abandoning this thread for a while, didn't mean to, but I didn't have much time and I didn't want to half-ass anything. )

Quote:
I may have just made this all up in my head.
Well, it does make sense anyway. But the funny thing is, I've always kinda interpreted that in a negative way. Like he got less than he wanted or something not as good. I don't know why I think like that, it's not like I have given the lyrics awful a lot of thought but that's the feeling I got. Now that I read the lyrics again, I'm thinking maybe the song is about breaking up after all? Assuming it's about a relationship... Haha, I don't know, one of the reasons I wanted to do this was to understand the lyrics and the meaning of the songs better.

So let's get cracking peeps, ya'll promised.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Well, I mean... the specific lyrics I posted are obviously saying you're not getting everything you wanted...
But I feel like the rest of is like... keep looking around bbz giant head to straight ahead anyway.

Don't look back at what you missed out on?

No? Not angsty enough?
Visit DCook & AI
Old 07-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Oh, I get it now. Sorry. "Don't look back at what you missed out on?", this definitely makes sense. Especially when he says "take a minute just to breathe" like he's trying to make the other person stay positive anyway. Now I'm thinking they are having a rough time in the relationship (I'm still assuming it's about a relationship) but he's trying to find a new way to define it since the way they are is not going anywhere or the relationship in its current state is dysfunctional etc. "Could you play me something new?" and "Find a new way to feel right" especially indicate that to me. Yes? No? Man, I should try to think these through more thoroughly before I post anything resembling an interpretation.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Master Fan

Ok for Straight Ahead wasn't one of my early faves on the album after Laura was awesome and sent me the songs! Thanks again for that! I really started to get into the song after a few listenings because of that beginning beat. it's really cool and drew me into the song.

My favorite line from the song is "Take a minute just to breathe...and think of everything you wanted and what you got instead." it just makes me think the song is about appreciating what you have instead of thinking about what you don't. I might be way off there, but that line just makes me think about that.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:38 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Haha, you're welcome Paula. I think a lot of songs on this record or maybe even the whole record have that quality, they grow on you after a few listens. With Straight Ahead it was definitely the beginning beat and the melody during the verses that appealed to me right away (melody counts a lot to me in music).

Quote:
My favorite line from the song is "Take a minute just to breathe...and think of everything you wanted and what you got instead."
That's the line we've been discussing and we've come pretty much to the same conclusion. What do you think about the other things we said?

Also, what is everyone's thoughts on the pretty extensive use of the word "circle", what do you think he meant with that? I've also been wondering the line about "a pill", he uses that in at least one another song on this record too. Thoughts?

Really guys, we shouldn't let this die before it even started properly. This doesn't have to be anything massive and fancy, I would just like to hear everyone's thoughts on every song, I'm sure you all have some. And what we've discussed so far has been great and fun, so let's continue, ok? Please?

To give you guys more time to think, let's look at this lovely quote here:

Quote:
AARON KEKER: Was Analog Heart Music, Inc. named after your solo record Analog Heart?

DAVID COOK: Yes it was. For me, that was like my first foray into doing music outside of the band atmosphere. You know, it was just me and I love what Analog Heart represents. Analog to me means nostalgic and means historical. I guess from that standpoint, I’ll divide that like Analog Heart and a digital world kind of thing.

AARON KEKER: What are some of your favorite songs from Analog Heart?

DAVID COOK: I love “Straight Ahead.” “Silver” I think was a great song “The Truth.” I’m trying to think of what else, it’s been a while. I like “Porcelain.”

AARON KEKER: Uh-huh.

DAVID COOK: Just more for kind of the imagery of the song. But yeah, for a million different reasons, I love all of the songs on the record.

Source
We love all of the songs on the record too, David. But you know what you need to do? Appreciate SEARCHLIGHTS more!
Old 07-17-2009, 11:47 AM
Master Fan

I think you are right about the the lines being about a relationship that is kinda stuck. i think that is why the word circle is used alot. Things just keep going around and around and nothing ever changes.

I love that interview. I always love hearing him talk about AH and his music before AI. it truly is an amazing album.

Next song?
Old 07-23-2009, 01:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I've failed at this thread lately... sorryz

Quote:
i think that is why the word circle is used alot. Things just keep going around and around and nothing ever changes.
I actually really like this interpretation. It makes sense to me, and I always appreciate that. XD

Shall we do... I can't remember what the second song is? XD
Visit DCook & AI
Old 07-26-2009, 12:46 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
I think you are right about the the lines being about a relationship that is kinda stuck. i think that is why the word circle is used alot. Things just keep going around and around and nothing ever changes.
Paula said in a nutshell what we tried so hard to figure out. I think this is what it's about. Great interpretation!

And thus we can move onto the next song. Hopefully Ana will finally join us.

BTW, all the songs are listed in the OP if you forgot the order.

02. Don't Say a Word

Lyrics:

Are you waiting for something
'cause there's a tension in the air
Of something unresolved
I can smell it in your hair
So step down (step down)
Look around (look around)
You could leave it all behind
Never hear another sound
Say you're holding onto someone
They will never show you the same

So don't say a word
That I wouldn't say
Just crumble it up
And throw it away
We're just wasting time
We're taking up space
So don't say a word
That I wouldn't say to you

Are you breathing for nothing
'cause there's a vision in my eye
Of something unresolved
I swear it feels like this could die
I can see (I can see)
To a degree (to a degree)
A broken back is only something
If you did it saving me
Say you're holding onto nothing
And it's showing all over your face

So don't say a word
That I wouldn't say
Just crumble it up
And throw it away
We're just wasting time
We're taking up space
So don't say a word
That I wouldn't say to you, to you

So don't say a word
That I wouldn't say
Just crumble it up
And throw it away
We're just wasting time
We're taking up space
So don't say a word

--------------

About the lyrics, all the sites say this line "A broken back is only something" goes "is always something" instead of "only" but I really think it's "only", I listened to it several times and it makes more sense.

This was the first song I listened to when I got Analog Heart. Come to think of it, this was actually the first pre-Idol song of David's I ever heard. Kinda nostalgic and awesome. I really like the guitar riff in the beginning and David's gritty vocals. And there's really no question this song is definitely about breaking up. "We're just wasting time..." There's also some of that symmetry, that I think really culminates in The Truth, on this track already. A very nice, although kind of a sad song.

Let's get the discussion going.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

This was my first pre-idol Davey song too It feels like such a long time ago now... I was having trouble unzipping the file and then I finally got it to work... and I was like: XD For some reason it being the first one I listened to made me very attached to it for quite awhile after that... I kept going back to it.

Quote:
I can smell it in your hair
idk why... I find this line really amusing after Dave complained about people smelling him all the time
Visit DCook & AI
Old 07-27-2009, 12:19 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I really liked the song too when I heard it. I remember thinking how different it was from all the AI stuff, a whole new kind of David I guess. But it was my first introduction to AH and will always be pretty special.

Quote:
idk why... I find this line really amusing after Dave complained about people smelling him all the time
Funny you should mention this line, I have something to say about it too but I didn't wanna start off criticizing. I've always thought he only wrote the line because it rhymes. xD It's kinda clumsy to me, sorry David.