Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 06-05-2012, 06:52 AM
New Fan

Skins ♥ Viewers {general discussion}: Can YOU relate to any of the storylines or characters?

ok so this is my first thread and i didnt really want to make it fancy looking i just wanted to make it for a proper discussion based thread. so here is what im wondering can any of you wonderful members on this skins fan forum relate to any of the characters story lines in skins?
well let me tell you this, i can. well in series 6 as you know alex (this new, weird and wonderful openly gay character) comes into the show and has this lovely sort of friendship with our most troubled liv malone. He opens liv up to a whole new world and meaning of life, he makes her see that after a dear friend dies (in this case our beautiful ballerina grace) its not the end of the world and you can still carry on living their legacy, making them proud up there. then of course near the end of the series our FUN little bundle of love alex has to leave liv to predictably go to thailand, but what he leaves with liv is sheer confidence in her self and the knowing that she will always have love for grace in her heart but she has to get on with her live and make grace proud.
The writer (as discussed with my good friend heimweh) wanted to show us that at this age especially people come in and out of our lives, changing it drastically for the better or worse. Also i think that the writers wanted to use the character alex as a reflection of grace. what i mean is basically grace changes everyone's life especially in series 5 by getting the gang together and showing them what true friendship is. she also does so much for franky and accepts her just the way she is which is a beautiful thing. of course she changed everyones life again in series 6 when she dies. this shows again that people come in and out of your life as quick as anything but can change it drastically. Alex is a reflector of this because he comes into series 6 at an awkward stage but tries to loosen up the gang for the better and show them how to be friend again for grace's sake. he also changes liv's life for the better like i said earlier. but again he goes just as fast as he came (just like grace). thats my theory anyway-tell me what you think of it?
Getting back to the point how this is relatable to me. well not exactly to me but to me existence on this earth. well my mother at the age of 14 met this mysterious half-italian guy called shaun. he was a real STUNNER and was one of her bestfriends and my mother and him had a relationship just like alex and liv, very strong and close. She was devastated when he died in a car crash when she was around 18 i think nearly 19 years of age. this caused her to have a nervous breakdown and become very depressed because he was like the love of her life, she had a real strong bond with him almost like they were partners but they werent sort of thing. so when i was born she named me (because i was a girl) shaunie- this is so she remembers and always has shaun's legacy live in because she loved him and he loved her its so sad how he died too but im glad im his legacy im so glad its a beautiful thing. although i never had the chance to meet shaun i feel as if i know him sort of thing like he's in my heart x like in skins he changed my mothers life and was out of it just as fast as he came into it which is very sad.
what i want to know is do YOU GUYS relate to any of the skins storylines or characters?
Old 06-06-2012, 01:49 AM
Loyal Fan

Characters i relate to: Franky, Effy, Sid, Freddie, Emily

Story-lines i can relate to: Sid and Tony friendship, I cant think of anymore atm because im tired so i'll update my post tomorrow.
Franky/Matty, Sid/Cassie, Effy/Freddie, Sid/Tony, Freddie/Cook, Rich/Alo, Naomi/Emily, Franky/Grace
One of Franky's biggest stans.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:25 AM
New Fan

thanks dark-zero for being the first to make a post on here i really apreciate and cool, i found sid and tony's friendship very relatable too its a beautiful relationship i think. that's ok update your post whenever you like i dont mind i just wanted a good thread where people can discuss how they relate to the characters and storyline of skins and why. if you know what i mean . thanks again x
Old 06-06-2012, 03:16 PM
Master Fan

I did check the introduction guide and apparently there isn't a general discussion for Skins or for the relationship between viewers and characters, so I guess this will make it!
I've adjusted the thread title a bit, so it will be easier for other posters to know what they can discuss here

To answer your question, I wouldn't say I have one storyline in particular that made me gasp and shout amazed at the screen "THIS IS ME!", but through the years I could relate to many of the characters and still do Franky, Naomi, Tony, Cassie, Emily, Grace, Cassie and Effy are the first names that come to my mind.
I do share a few personality traits especially with Naomi, more than once I found myself noticing we were extremely alike

Actually, this is such an interesting topic that I'll need to think carefully about it and then give you a full answer. Thanks for sharing your beautiful story with us.
★ Mel • born backwardscredit;

Last edited by heimweh; 06-06-2012 at 03:55 PM
Old 06-07-2012, 04:02 AM
Elite Fan

ooh great idea! thanks for this. :')
Old 06-08-2012, 05:31 AM
New Fan

thanks guys for posting and thanks hiem for changing the title so people know haha. anyways yeah i thought for my first thread i should make something completely different that no one has really emphasized on before which is character and viewer connections you know what i mean? no but seriously i shouldnt be taking credit for this thread because heim was actually my inspiration for it, so thank you so much heim you've helped me a lot since i joined this wonderful forum x anyways yeah i can relate to many characters and storylines but like i said so far series 6 and the whole 'alex, liv and grace' thing was what prominently stuck out for me and made me shout at the tv screen saying 'this is the one, this is ME' haha you know. yes i also can defo relate to Naomi she is such a strong girl and knows (for the most part) who she really is and she is quite confident in her personality. me too i dont mean like confident as love myself i mean confident in all my decisions in my teenage life and i know where im going with it . defo franky as well lol. but yeah you can re-post and think about it all you want guys. like i said its just to get the brains going lol and for opinions and healthy debates x
Old 06-08-2012, 06:20 AM
Master Fan

I didn't do anything We just seem to enjoy the same things a lot and it's really nice to discuss them together

I think with Naomi, for me it's because she's an idealist. I see her as this really independent, principled, sarcastic (sometimes cynical, maybe) girl who relies on herself and her own individuality - perhaps a bit too much - because that's what she's been taught, but also because she's afraid that allowing people in might cause her some problems. Lose that control she has on herself for one. Give them the power to potentially hurt her. So she struggles to hide all that, as much as she may want to let them in.
★ Mel • born backwardscredit;
Old 06-08-2012, 07:42 AM
Absolute Fan

I think without a doubt grace is the character I relate to the most. Of course there are elements of other characters that I can relate to, but Grace is the one that made me go 'THIS IS ME.' (but of course she's like a hundred thousand times more awesome).

I guess we usually love the characters we relate to and Grace is my favorite character as well as being someone I can relate to personality wise. I think with other skins characters I've been able to relate to their experiences, but Grace was the first that I found we had a lot of similarities based on personality

Old 06-09-2012, 07:43 AM
Extreme Fan

After losing my Dad I can now relate to Sid in S2. Rewatching that episode really gets to me now in a way that it never did when I first watched it

| Aimee
Old 06-09-2012, 08:00 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyException (View Post)
After losing my Dad I can now relate to Sid in S2. Rewatching that episode really gets to me now in a way that it never did when I first watched it
I'm so sorry about your dad, hun

I never exactly related to any Skins character, but I guess I could relate to Effy's depression and her fear of opening up to people but her illness storyline was not handled well which made me really upset and offended on a deeply personal level. Plus Effy's relationship with her mother is quite similar to my mother and me.

icon: swanspirate@tumblr
Old 06-09-2012, 08:43 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary ksand (View Post)
I'm so sorry about your dad, hun

I never exactly related to any Skins character, but I guess I could relate to Effy's depression and her fear of opening up to people but her illness storyline was not handled well which made me really upset and offended on a deeply personal level. Plus Effy's relationship with her mother is quite similar to my mother and me.
Thanks Mary

I don't open up to people very easily either, I don't really like to let my guard down, so I've always related to Effy in that respect

| Aimee
Old 06-10-2012, 05:21 PM
Loyal Fan

Tony's so easy for me to relate to. I, too, was into Nietzsche in secondary school. And despite half a century of trying, it's still an effort to like people. So much potential in the abstract, so disappointing in the specific ...

And I used to play with girls' heads in nasty ways. Wicked fun.

"But I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now."

Last edited by Finnegan; 06-10-2012 at 06:41 PM
Old 09-27-2013, 04:48 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan (View Post)
Tony's so easy for me to relate to. I, too, was into Nietzsche in secondary school. And despite half a century of trying, it's still an effort to like people. So much potential in the abstract, so disappointing in the specific ...

And I used to play with girls' heads in nasty ways. Wicked fun.

"But I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now."

I related to Franky's pansexuality and ousider qualities before they turned her into a poor man's Effy.