Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2009, 03:11 PM
Supreme Fan

July Book Club Nominations

OK Everyone,
That time of the month, again, so lets pick our favorite books. We'll vote on the first four books nominated, so hurry up and get your picks in. We have a new rule for book club nominations and from now on we only allow the first book in a series to be chosen, which means, for example, since Vampire Academy was chosen last month, no other books in that series can be nominated. That keeps us from getting stuck month after month reading the same series and people getting behind because they miss a book or two. Other than that, nominate whatever you want. And have fun.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:21 PM
Fan Forum Star

Succubus Blues - Richelle Mead
Old 06-19-2009, 05:19 PM
Master Fan

Last edited by Merlin_Bodhi; 06-19-2009 at 05:30 PM
Old 06-20-2009, 01:28 AM
Elite Fan

Shantaram - Gregory David Roberts.

Quote:
"It took me a long time and most of the world to learn what I know about love and fate and the choices we make, but the heart of it came to me in an instant, while I was chained to a wall and being tortured."

So begins this epic, mesmerizing first novel set in the underworld of contemporary Bombay. Shantaram is narrated by Lin, an escaped convict with a false passport who flees maximum security prison in Australia for the teeming streets of a city where he can disappear.

Accompanied by his guide and faithful friend, Prabaker, the two enter Bombay's hidden society of beggars and gangsters, prostitutes and holy men, soldiers and actors, and Indians and exiles from other countries, who seek in this remarkable place what they cannot find elsewhere.

As a hunted man without a home, family, or identity, Lin searches for love and meaning while running a clinic in one of the city's poorest slums, and serving his apprenticeship in the dark arts of the Bombay mafia. The search leads him to war, prison torture, murder, and a series of enigmatic and bloody betrayals. The keys to unlock the mysteries and intrigues that bind Lin are held by two people. The first is Khader Khan: mafia godfather, criminal-philosopher-saint, and mentor to Lin in the underworld of the Golden City. The second is Karla: elusive, dangerous, and beautiful, whose passions are driven by secrets that torment her and yet give her a terrible power.

Burning slums and five-star hotels, romantic love and prison agonies, criminal wars and Bollywood films, spiritual gurus and mujaheddin guerrillas---this huge novel has the world of human experience in its reach, and a passionate love for India at its heart. Based on the life of the author, it is by any measure the debut of an extraordinary voice in literature.
I have not read it yet myself, and it is long - 900+ pages, but I'm reading once I finish my current book, so I thought it'd put it out there.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:42 AM
Supreme Fan

Alright, we've got three, we just need one more.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:43 PM
Master Fan

"Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West [Book 1]

by Gregory Maguire

When Dorothy triumphed over the Wicked Witch of the West in L. Frank Baum's classic tale, we heard only her side of the story. But what about her arch-nemesis, the mysterious Witch? Where did she come from? How did she become so wicked? And what is the true nature of evil?

Gregory Maguire creates a fantasy world so rich and vivid that we will never look at Oz the same way again. Wicked is about a land where animals talk and strive to be treated like first-class citizens, Munchkinlanders seek the comfort of middle-class stability, and the Tin Man becomes a victim of domestic violence. And then there is the little green-skinned girl named Elphaba, who will grow up to become the infamous Wicked Witch of the West, a smart, prickly, and misunderstood creature who challenges all our preconceived notions about the nature of good and evil."
Old 06-20-2009, 09:52 PM
Supreme Fan

Alright, we have our four. The nominations for July are:
Succubus Blues by Richelle Mead
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
Shantram by Gregory David Roberts
Wicked by Gregory Maguire
So, go on and cast your votes.

I'm going to have to pick Life of Pi. I read it last semester for a class and would love to discuss it with people outside of an academic setting and see what other people think of it.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:58 PM
Fan Forum Star

Im voting for Succubus Blues
Old 06-20-2009, 10:06 PM
Master Fan

Wicked!
Old 06-21-2009, 12:35 AM
Part-Time Fan

when would next months nominations and voting begin? id really like to join after this months reading and discussion is over.

icon: PS.Whatever
Old 06-21-2009, 04:36 AM
Elite Fan

Shantaram - Gregory David Roberts.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:28 AM
Fan Forum Hero

iread - the new nominations are already in and you can start voting for any of the 4 listed below
Quote:
Succubus Blues by Richelle Mead
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
Shantram by Gregory David Roberts
Wicked by Gregory Maguire
Hmm, Ill wait before voting myself, im stuck between two

[TWENTY YEARS OF YOUNG AMERICANS!]
Join us for one l a s t celebration!♡
♪_where would we be without a little l o v e?
[ Sheida : Tumblr | Twitter | Instagram ]
Old 06-21-2009, 08:14 AM
Supreme Fan

iread, like broken|smile said, you can feel free to vote in this round and join in the discussion for July We do a new book each month and nominations/voting starts a week or two before the new month starts.

I'll vote for Succubus Blues, although I'm not sure I will be able to get it from the library as they only have one copy and it's out right now with a hold on it

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 06-21-2009, 03:59 PM
Part-Time Fan

aww thanks for making me feel so welcome guys. i was asking about next months though because im from a very small town so there are no bookstores and our local library's selection is very limited. i wasnt sure if i'd be able to get a hold of any one of these books. but im moving very soon and hopefully i will be able to participate in next months reading & discussion. but again thanks for helping me with my questions! if i find any of these when i go to the library i will be sure to come back and place my vote.

icon: PS.Whatever
Old 06-21-2009, 04:51 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by iread (View Post)
aww thanks for making me feel so welcome guys. i was asking about next months though because im from a very small town so there are no bookstores and our local library's selection is very limited. i wasnt sure if i'd be able to get a hold of any one of these books. but im moving very soon and hopefully i will be able to participate in next months reading & discussion. but again thanks for helping me with my questions! if i find any of these when i go to the library i will be sure to come back and place my vote.
Hey, awesome. I know how that feels (I'm from a small town myself) and even now that I moved to a big city, I can't always get my hands on the book we're reading, so even as a moderator, I don't always participate in the book club. Have you checked out some of the online library/book exchange programs. I know some of the regular users on this board use them but I'm not one of them and don't know a lot about them but you might check it out by googling (or someone that knows anything about these programs can give you a hand). Anyway, as soon as you get the chance, come join us.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread