Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2010, 06:07 PM
Supreme Fan

I keep forgetting that they're splitting the last book into two movies, and I agree that it's awesome they are doing that It's definitely needed and I'm glad they recognized that.

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 10-20-2010, 11:10 AM
Absolute Fan

^ Exactly, they are finally doing something right!

Quote:
I actually do view them separately in the sense that the books are awesome, and I only vaguely acknowledge the movies they look great in a purely aesthetic level, though, I'll give them that
Very true! I'd have to say OotP is my favorite aesthetically pleasing movie, but not my favorite book by any means. PoA and DH holds that title.

You'll sit alone forever, if you wait for the right time. What are you hoping for?
Old 10-21-2010, 05:13 AM
Supreme Fan

I'm just glad the movies got away from the way the first two were done Watching those is just awful for me now haha. And I know the first two books were less mature than the rest of them, but still even at the part in the movie where he fights the basilisk....it just makes me laugh when I watch the movie

It's so hard to say a favorite book for me! It used to be PoA no question (I loved hearing some of the back story about Harry's parents and the Marauders), but I feel like 5, 6, and 7 are all really well written too, so I don't know. I'll be doing my first re-read of DH hopefully next week, so maybe that'll end up being favorite (since I remember absolutely nothing when I read it the first time around).

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 10-27-2010, 10:14 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriela (View Post)
It's so hard to say a favorite book for me! It used to be PoA no question (I loved hearing some of the back story about Harry's parents and the Marauders), but I feel like 5, 6, and 7 are all really well written too, so I don't know. I'll be doing my first re-read of DH hopefully next week, so maybe that'll end up being favorite (since I remember absolutely nothing when I read it the first time around).
PoA is definitely mine but when I read DH, that came so close to ousting PoA from the coveted spot. I'm up to DH now so we will see

Also, 5 years later and I still cry over Dumbledore's death I also cry at Fleur showing that she really does love Bill and Tonks declaring her love for Remus. The ending, once again, was really well written. HBP's main plot of horcruxes, Voldemort's background, and the climax were excellent; the hormones...not so much XD

You'll sit alone forever, if you wait for the right time. What are you hoping for?
Old 10-27-2010, 02:25 PM
Elite Fan

The first two movies are the only one's that I like completely (actual adaptations, whereas 3+ were just rewrites)

My favourite books are 1-4 and 7, other than that I can't really distinguish further
Old 10-27-2010, 06:32 PM
Absolute Fan

I'd have to say the first two movies were completely faithful to the books [which is why I was so disappointed in Percy Jackson as Chris Columbus directed that...but that's another topic! XD] - my favorite movie is OotP, mainly for the artistry. But it's hard to turn the books into movies, esp. after the 4th one.

^ lol so I'm assuming you didn't like the 5th and 6th books?? DH is giving me the same amount of heart attacks as it did 3 years ago and I'm only chapter 6.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:40 PM
Elite Fan

I liked them but they definitely had the most problems. Harry was a tad too angry in 5 (plus, I hated Umbridge) and 6 I hated Ron/Lavender and Harry/Ginny were just
Old 11-03-2010, 09:42 AM
Absolute Fan

When I first read OotP, I thought Harry's anger was justified but after re-reading the book last month, I found it annoying at times. I just wanted to tell him to shut up.

J.K.'s a brilliant writer but even she can't write teen romance without my suffering from secondhand embarrassment. [Though I found her writing about Harry's crush on Cho in PoA and GoF more realistic and fluid than Harry liking Ginny in HBP.]

Old 11-03-2010, 09:48 AM
Elite Fan

I agree that it was mostly justified, too, it certainly didn't bother me as much as other people. But it did get overboard, and there a few too many capslocks

I'd say JKR can't write Harry romance (His Cho crush was the best of them, I agree, because it was meant to be awkward being his first real crush and all)
Old 11-05-2010, 05:20 AM
Supreme Fan

I can agree with that - it always so awkward I wanted to like Harry and Ginny together, but I just couldn't ever really get into them.

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 11-07-2010, 11:24 PM
Elite Fan

It could've been all right, finding family in... family? but it was definitely far too rushed. I still see Harry as being single for most of his adolescence (combination of both choice, and having no time/protecting them) so I think H/G would've made more sense as hinting and then maybe getting together in their 20s
Old 11-08-2010, 06:19 AM
Supreme Fan

Yeah, I agree - I always pictured Harry single until mid-20s or so.

I did like though that we saw definite growth in Ginny as a character from the days when she was crushing on him so bad to when they finally got together. And I'm glad she wasn't played as just waiting and hoping he would ask her out. I think for me part of the problem was I felt like Harry's feelings kind of came out of nowhere - it felt like all of a sudden he liked her, and it was pretty awkward

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 11-08-2010, 10:26 AM
Elite Fan

I didn't really like that Ginny's growth seemed like she just became beautiful and popular, though. That was

Yeah, Harry's feelings did come out of nowhere. There was some "hinting" prior but it was all within the same book, so doesn't really count oh well, it didn't really affect my reading I just glossed over most of it
Old 11-09-2010, 06:09 AM
Supreme Fan

Yeah, that's true - I wish we would have gotten a bit more on her so we cared more about her. The only real impression I ever got from Ginny came more from fanfiction than from the actual books. I wonder if JKR was a little leery of making Harry too much like James and Ginny too much like Lily

I'm in the middle of DH now and there is seriously so much I don't remember...I have no idea what I was doing when I read it the first time that I remember so little

By the way, has anybody seen how much video clips from Part I of the Deathly Hallows movie they have been releasing? I kind of wish they wouldn't...I feel like I will have seen half the movie before even getting to the theater.

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~

Last edited by Gabriela; 11-09-2010 at 06:14 AM
Old 11-09-2010, 08:42 PM
Elite Fan

I all ready made a connection between Ginny/Lily early on

I just remember the plot points for DH, nothing too specific, but considering it's been what 3-3.5 years that's pretty good for me

I don't really follow the movies anymore, so I've only seen the one trailer