Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2009, 01:12 PM
Supreme Fan

Febuary Book Club: The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman

Hey everyone,
This month was a really close contest but the winner is The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman.

Here's the blurb on the back of my copy.
Quote:
It was no ordinary life for a young girl: living among scholars in the hallowed halls of Jordan College and tearing unsupervised through Oxford's motley streets on mad quests for adventure. But Lyra's greatest adventure would begin closer to home the day she heard the hushed talk of an extraordinary particle. Microscopic in size, the magical Dust -- found only in the vast Arctic expanse of the North -- was rumored to possess profound properties that could unite whole universes. But there were those who feared the particle and would stop and nothing to destroy it.
Catapulted into the heart of a terrible struggle, Lyra was forced to seek aid from clans, gyptians, and formidable armored bears. And as she journeyed into unbelievable danger, she had not the faintest clue that she alone was destined to win, or to lose, this more-than-mortal battle...
I just started reading it today and am on chapter four right now. I actually have to read it for class so I'll be interested to come back here and discuss some of the things we talk about in class with you guys. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the book. And let's get discussing.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:44 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

Yay, I'll be reading it as soon as I finish the book I'm currently reading.
Soz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:14 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Ive already read this book and the second book in the series but it'll be great discussing it with you guys and Im hoping this motivates me to start the third book soon

[TWENTY YEARS OF YOUNG AMERICANS!]
Join us for one l a s t celebration!♡
♪_where would we be without a little l o v e?
[ Sheida : Tumblr | Twitter | Instagram ]
s e r e n i t y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'll try to start re-reading this either today or tomorrow, otherwise I'll bring it as my bus book on Monday

Chrissy |
red velvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:37 AM
Fan Forum Hero

HAs everyone here seen the movie?

Oh and Chrissy - the James link in your sig leads to a thread on the Privileged board

[TWENTY YEARS OF YOUNG AMERICANS!]
Join us for one l a s t celebration!♡
♪_where would we be without a little l o v e?
[ Sheida : Tumblr | Twitter | Instagram ]
s e r e n i t y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:18 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Haven't seen the movie as of yet

Finished through chapter 6 today I think

Thanks for telling me that happens more often than you would think

Chrissy |
red velvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:47 AM
Elite Fan

I've read the whole series before and it didn't really capture me. I know alot of people were offended by something in these books, (I don't know which one it is?) but I wasn't so much as just not engaged. The first one was the best though, imo.
-Pammie

"One must always be careful of books," said Tessa,"and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us." -Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
[ICON CREDIT: sourburst]
AtomicEmpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:27 AM
Supreme Fan

I finished the first one last night. I really want to go and read the other two but won't get the chance for a while. The first time I read this book, I really didn't like it, but I loved it this time. I think I can appreciate it more as an adult then I could when I read it five or six years ago.

Pammie, I think most people were offended by the fact that Pullman is an atheist and in many ways, this is an attack of sorts against Christianity and the Church. It goes on, apparently, in the other two, to end in a war against a "God" figure. Of course, if anything is anti-organized religion then it's going to offend some people. Apparently Pullman said it was his response to C.S. Lewis at some point. But yeah, that's probably the reason whey it offended people.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:57 AM
Elite Fan

I read this book awhile ago and saw the movie. Actually I saw the movie first then read the book.
I kind of was disappointed at the way women were portrayed in the book, even though the main character was a girl.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:31 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetch (View Post)
I read this book awhile ago and saw the movie. Actually I saw the movie first then read the book.
I kind of was disappointed at the way women were portrayed in the book, even though the main character was a girl.
I thought there were a huge number of strong female characters. There was Lyra and the Witch, and even Mrs. Coulter, even though she was the bad guy, was portrayed fairly well. What didn't you like about their portrayal?
Old 02-03-2009, 11:40 PM
Ultimate Fan

Oh I do love this series. I think it takes a while to get into it.

I thought that this book was one of the rare fantasy books where women are portrayed as being rather strong and very few fit in the archetypes.

icon:goutdevodka
stumps101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:58 AM
Elite Fan

Yeah I knew why people didn't like it, I just didn't want to spell it out for those who hadn't read anymore than this book or any at all.
-Pammie

"One must always be careful of books," said Tessa,"and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us." -Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
[ICON CREDIT: sourburst]
AtomicEmpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:19 AM
Supreme Fan

OK, maybe this is just me, but I really want a daemon right now. Pan is just cool.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Master Fan

This is my FAVORITE BOOK EVER. I can't reread the book because it is at home & I am away at school. But I am glad everyone is enjoying it
Brody♥Bilson
How Cute Is She is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:12 PM
Master Fan

Aw yay I can join in on this. I've love a dameon and I do think most of the females shown were strong, plus the witch (can't remember her name atm lol)..especially Mrs.Coulter as weird as it sounds.

BTW what ever happened to the Lovely Bones discussion?
Bella Grint is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread