Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Fan Forum Hero

there was just so much talk about some business i knew nothing about and nothing made sense and it dragged, so much that i couldnt even force myself to read it for book club ill read it soon though, i liked the movie quite a lot

[TWENTY YEARS OF YOUNG AMERICANS!]
Join us for one l a s t celebration!♡
♪_where would we be without a little l o v e?
[ Sheida : Tumblr | Twitter | Instagram ]
Old 02-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I should also mention "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" by Stieg Larsson. I mean it wasn't bad, it's just with all the hype, I expected more and instead I got this rather interesting thriller crammed in between one really long sort of intro to the book and one horribly long ending that were as dull as fck. That being said the second in the series "The girl who played with fire" is absolutely bloody fantastic and it's worth sitting through the slightly drab first book just to get to the second in the series.
omg I totally agree!! I only forced myself to read because I wanted to know what happened to Harriet. The second was really good, but the third was just ok.

The writing of all 3 books tho are horrible and dry. They felt like a draft, as if he didn't finish reviewing the books before them being publishing (which I stronlgy believe since he died.).
Old 02-01-2011, 04:43 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
The writing of all 3 books tho are horrible and dry. They felt like a draft, as if he didn't finish reviewing the books before them being publishing (which I stronlgy believe since he died.).
Yes I thought this. Though I thought a lot might have changed in the translation process from Swedish to English. But your theory seems sounder than mine.

I believe there is even a fourth Lisbeth Salander book that his wife is finishing.

Oh and I could never understand why Mikael Blomkvist got laid so much in the Millenium series. He was so dull and from what I gathered not in the least attractive.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:26 PM
Master Fan

lol I don't care how many people say the books are ~amazing~ and the writing is ~pristine~ IT'S NOT. It's like those people never read a well written book. The story may be good, but the writing is NOT. It's just like when we write a quick draf of something for school, or a fanfic, or some other thing, so we can go back to it later and work around the rough edges, etc. It is my belief that he died before anything could be done with the books, and since they had a good story they were published.

TROLOLOLOLOL. Maybe she'll be able to fix that ridiculous and unbelievable ending, and she being a woman may be able to write the women in the book better too.

I mean, WTAF was that ending? The biggest joke to me was Mikael suddenly ~falling in love~ with that random woman thrown in the third book. My God, the whole romance was so dry and emotionless. "She was good looking, so he slept with her. It felt nice." Um ok. I'll take your word I guess? How about a little more character development and emotional depth and less beating around the bush with the same issue over and over?

That's why I am SO eager to watch the American version, there'll be no boring parts to get thru, no dry writing to read, and actually attractive people as the book portrays. They'll go straight to the good part of the book without taking half the story to actually get to it (seriously, all 3 books, and the story actually started to be told half way thru, no exageration).

From what I understood he was supposed to be a good looking and fit 50 something, it's just the movie that ruined it. They picked the ugliest people in the country it seems. The person they cast for Mikael was a joke.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:18 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Oh I didn't like the random love story in book 3 because ngl I liked him with Erika

And yes I agree the story is sublime, but the writing is crap, I almost wish he could have handed over the plot to a better writer and said "here write this novel" and it would be 10 million times better. I think the same about JKR and Harry potter. Brilliant plot at points, but goddamit, it could have been a ridiculously fantastic read if written by a better author. Though I am sure not many people will share that opinion.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:12 AM
Master Fan

Yes, exactly! Brilliant plot poorly executed. I'm sure I'd have LOVED the books if they were better writen.

I think people are so infatuated with the story they don't recognize the poor writing, the amazing plot overshadowing the terrible writing.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:18 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~lipstick (View Post)
Yes, exactly! Brilliant plot poorly executed. I'm sure I'd have LOVED the books if they were better writen.

I think people are so infatuated with the story they don't recognize the poor writing, the amazing plot overshadowing the terrible writing.
That happens alot im one of those peopel you ahte that can't see the error liek the Twiligth Saga supposly has bad grammer but i can't see it
Old 02-02-2011, 04:29 PM
Elite Fan

Twilight didn't really bother me grammar-wise (like it's not so glaringly bad) it's just so juvenile and repetitive, and even when I did like it it was just crack!fic to me..
Old 02-13-2011, 12:26 PM
Obsessed Fan

Gone with the Wind
Other than capturing certain tendencies in the frame of mind of American South at a certain time, I really don't see the appeal of this book. IMO, it's poor literature and I don't see why the word "classic" is sometimes being thrown in to describe it.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:30 PM
Elite Fan

I've been too scared to read it because it's so long
plus, being Canadian and preferring fantasy it's not exactly my cup of tea
Old 02-14-2011, 01:06 PM
Obsessed Fan

Oh, I cheated - read a few pages, skipped a few. And I don't even feel guilty about it because nothing about the book made me respect it.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:08 PM
Elite Fan

Just realized we're well passed 300 posts!

New thread

Last edited by Tomorrow's skies; 02-14-2011 at 04:13 PM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread