Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2006, 10:57 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Unfaithful~
I remember reading these 2 books, they were really good, but I can't remember who wrote them, or what they were called. They were about a girl who danced who ended up becoming anorexic. Then there was a sequel about that girl and she meets this bullemic girl...... I really want to read these again.
I don't know if you're thinking of Best Little Girl in the World but I read it when I was younger and it has a similar premise. I'm not sure if it has a sequel, though.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:47 PM
Addicted Fan

I loved reading books like th Babysitter's Club, Babysitter's Little Sister, Sweet Valley High, Boxcar Children Series, Little House series, American Girls Series and anybook associated with the newest movie I like. I still have most of these books and get them out of their box in the closet and read them from time to time. See I was lucky cause my Aunt's Mom owned a book store and once a month she would send like 3 new books for me.
icon credit to Cristolfe
Old 06-24-2006, 07:59 PM
Part-Time Fan

I remember having a rather disturbing collection of RL Stein books as a kid. I'm not too sure what became of those.

That said, I still have books that I still enjoying reading - Little Women on the Prairie, How to Eat Fried Worms, The Hatchet and other classics such as Help, I'm Trapped In A Teacher's Body and There's a Boy in the Girls' Bathroom.
It’ll be a miracle
Old 06-25-2006, 11:30 AM
Elite Fan

I read a lot when I was a kid, and I loved Sweet Valley (kids, teens, unicorns club, high) Also The Babysitters Club, Nancy Drew, fairy tales, fables, Little Women, A Little Princes, what else? I think I forgot a couple

av
Old 06-25-2006, 07:34 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutterbug579
I don't know if you're thinking of Best Little Girl in the World but I read it when I was younger and it has a similar premise. I'm not sure if it has a sequel, though.
It was this book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much. I think the sequel was called Kessa. I'll have to check it out!
Old 06-25-2006, 09:27 PM
Master Fan

You're welcome! I read that book more than 10 years ago and it still pops into my head every so often.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:00 AM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nouvelle jeux
I remember having a rather disturbing collection of RL Stein books as a kid. I'm not too sure what became of those.
I was obsessed with Fear Street in fourth grade. Some were really odd.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:30 AM
Addicted Fan

I used to love Kit Pearson when I was younger..
Old 06-26-2006, 01:36 PM
Obsessed Fan

I still have a lot of my old Fear Street books, I saved them to pass on to the next generation of my family lol. Some were a bit out there but I remember loads of them like the Christmas ones "Silent Night" and "Silent Night 2."

I also was really into Goosebumps for awhile. I liked them and then Fear Street. I also will always love The Boxcar Childern series.

I was also a Baby-Sitter's Club and Babysitter's Club Little Sister fan. My fave of the latter was the one where Karen 'marries' her boyfriend Ricky. So sweet. hehe
Old 06-26-2006, 03:57 PM
Addicted Fan

My fave series when I was a kid were:

Baby-Sitters Club
Boxcar Children
Nancy Drew
The Bobbsey Twins
Sweet Valley Twins
The Saddle Club..

there was a figure skating series that I used to love, but cant remember the name of it! it's driving me crazy..
Old 06-26-2006, 06:57 PM
Master Fan

Oh.the Saddle CLub. I cried my butt off in the second book when Cobalt dies *sniff*
Old 06-28-2006, 12:06 PM
New Fan

I was pretty big on series as a kid...

Anyone remember The Gymnasts? It was a series about - obviously - a bunch of adolescent girls taking gymnastics lessons. I was so entranced by it around the age of 11 that I begged my mom for lessons myself

There was also another activity-related series, called No Way Ballet. It was about three (?) girls who had been forced into taking ballet, for various reasons. As the series progressed, they got to be pretty good friends, and also to sort of enjoy the classes as well...

Another one was called Girl Talk. It was about four very different girls (think BSC, with the perpetual stereotyping...) living in Minnesota, and their adventures in the 7th grade. I think there were about 20 books in all, tapering out in the early '90s.

I also liked a sort of obscure series, Pen Pals, about a group of girls at boarding school, who put an ad in the school newspaper looking for pen pals at the nearby boys boarding school. The boys, of course, become sort of boyfriends, who can conveniently come visit for dances and other events, and there are all sorts of wacky hijinks involving said boys, roommate troubles, etc. It made me envious that MY parents hadn't sent me away somewhere for junior high/high school...
Old 07-13-2006, 10:53 PM
Elite Fan

I haven't thought about children's books in ages.

I went through several stages when I was younger.

Little House series...we actually bought the book at her museum in her hometown.
Baby-sitter's Club
Sweet Valley
Nancy Drew
Freckle Juice
Judy Blume
The Kids of Polk Street series. I loved those books in elementary school.
R.L. Stine....but rarely the really scary ones. I love the Midnight Club
But then I moved onto the classics in Middle school...
-Hemingway
-Jane Austen
-John Steinbeck
-To Kill a Mockingbird
Kate #144
SOD
Kate & the Star Whores
Dreams are like paper. They tear so easily. ~ Gilda Radner
icon by unknown
Old 07-15-2006, 05:09 AM
Addicted Fan

I loved reading childrens' books when I was younger. It was always fun just reading enjoyable, light material that let you disappear into another world. My favourite childrens' series was probably Enid Blyton's Faraway Tree. I think I read each of the three books in the series 3 times . I also loved The Secret Garden. And almost anything by Roald Dahl. Then as I got a bit older, I started with the Baby-Sitter's Club ... Aww. I miss those care-free days when all I could do was play around and read.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:10 PM
Master Fan

My parents use to use books to bribe me. It was like my candy! I recently moved and set up a library/study area in our loft and I didn't realize I had so many books from my childhood still.

I was a huge Enid Blyton fan. I have all the Mallory Towers series, the St. Clare's series, some of The Famous Five series, some of The Secret Seven series, some of The Circus series and some of The Mystery series - although I've read them ALL. I also have some of The Baby-Sitters' Club series.

In my pre-teen years I loved Nancy Drew books, especially Nancy Drew Files. I have some of them, too. I also own some Christopher Pike books. I loved his earlier books, especially the Remember Me series and the Final Friends series, and most of his books that were first released in the late 80s (although I read them in the late 90s). My fav "adult" book of his was Sati.

If I had the money, I'd buy all the remaining books in these series so I could have a full collection. Heck, I'd love to buy all brand new collections of these books.

Last edited by iamsher; 07-15-2006 at 02:27 PM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread