Old 06-18-2018, 12:00 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Save the Date - Book Review
Old 06-20-2018, 06:21 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks, I gotta check into her books.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:27 AM
Fan Forum Hero

The Witch Hunter by Virginia Boecker - This book is about a world where if you're dabbling in any sort of witch craft you can be arrested and killed. It follows a girl named Elizabeth Grey who is the King's best witch hunter until she is herself accused of witch craft. She escapes by the help of a wizard who takes her to their hideout. They don't know she is a witch hunter. The book wasn't complete boring, but wasn't interesting either. The main character was annoying in quiet a bit of the book and a hypocrite. The romance was soo underdeveloped. This has been my problem with a few books. Look the romance doesn't have to be the main focus, I'm totally okay with it, but at least put some effort into it, in the moments that they do have, so I can care about it. The main story just didn't capture me, the other characters were just alright, and I wished there was more development. **

Beyond the Bright Sea by Lauren Wolk - This book is about a 12 year old girl named Crow who landed a tiny island in the Elizabeths in a small boat when she was only a few hours old. She raised by Osh, who found her, and their friend Miss Maggie.

A fire on a different island starts events where she wants to explore her own history/where she came from.

I loved this author's first book. It was one of my favorites last year, so I was excited to read this one, but it felt like she was trying to hard to duplicate the success of her first book. It feels like an echo of it and not really to it benefit. For instance the main girl reminds me of a water-down Annabelle even though she's a sweet girl. The relationship between Osh and Crow, not in the dynamic itself, but it reminds me of a relationship a bit in her other book too.

They had a side plot that wasn't necessary, didn't add anything, when the could have explored or flesh out the other relationships and the main plot. None of the characters grabbed my heart the way it did in her book either. Osh got on my nerves A Lot throughout the book. The ending was a bit of a letdown too. I get what she was trying to say, what message she was trying highlight, but after building up to something and it not go anywhere it was a bit of a bummer. It might seem like I completely didn't like it, but it's not the case because she does write well and the main storyline was so interesting that it kept me reading. That's what edge it out of being a ** to a ** 1/2.

The One Thing by Marci Lyn Curtis - The way I found about this book was through exploring the books that are coming out this year. I wanted to know about the writing style of this author. The book premise is so interesting too. It's about a girl named Maggie who one day at her probation officer's office, she did a prank at school, bumps into a 10 year old named Ben. The shocking part is that she can see him because seven month ago she became blind. She can only see him and about a foot around him. While that is a huge part the story is also about her coming to terms with her new life and her relationship with that kid. I really, really liked the book. I loved the writing it was witty and emotional. The story was interesting, and Ben is such a sweet lovable character. He was my favorite. I liked the dynamic between him and Maggie.
There was some flaws to it. Again a romance that didn't get enough development. It didn't bother me at first, but it became more in the front later in the book and it wasn't that great. It was slow at times throughout the book and the last chapter or so felt a bit rushed. There were some relationships that should been explored more and had more focus. I had a hard time rating this because it more than *** and 1/2 stars, but didn't quite make it to four. So I ended up giving it a *** 2/3 . lol I have never done that before, but it feels right. I'm definitely going to read her next book.

Last edited by *OldHollywoodStarlet*; 06-22-2018 at 01:13 PM
Old 06-25-2018, 07:44 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for the reviews, Tara. I have only read the first one.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:28 PM
Fan Forum Hero

You're welcome guys. I always feel kind of bad because a lot of my reviews are low scoring lol That's why I like doing one big post. lol

Nothing But Sky by Amy Trueblood - This story is about a girl named Grace Lafferty, who is a wing walker. She's trying to save up to enter a contest that would giver her and her team a stable income. It about those relationships and the community of wing walkers.
It had some nice main characters (The side characters could have been fleshed out more.) a sweet romance, though it starts really rough, and the writer is great with action. The book was slow at times. I pretty much figured out the mystery pretty early on in the book, so reveal wasn't a surprise and made it boring to some degree. While It was a fun read it didn’t really capture me. ***

Love & Gelato by Jenna Evans Welch - This story is about girl named Lina, who spends her time in Italy with a father she never knew because it was her Mother's dying wish. It's about her life there.
I really wanted to like this book, and I think partly why I didn't is because I'm figuring out that I don't like fluff books. I wasn't a fan of the writing, some of it made me cringe. The prologue felt slapped on to get to the main point. I mean I've read other books who have done that and there is nothing wrong with it (Some them are good.), but this came off sloppy. There wasn't any real emotional impact. Any time they tried to have those kind of moments didn't feel earned and fell flat. The characters were cheesy, the romance was eh. There is a relationship between a Dad and a daughter that were supposed to care about, but the writer didn't put in the effort. I also figure out pretty early on the whole mystery there were setting up. Why I am giving it ** instead of * is because I didn't hate it. It just wasn't good. Side note there was quite a few grammar errors.

More Than We Can Tell by Brigid Kemmerer - This a story has two POVs. One is about a boy named Rev, who was a side character from Letters to the Lost, and the other is a girl named Emma. It's about them dealing with their demons whether past or present and the somewhat relationship they form.
I was so excited when I read that she was writing a companion novel to Letters to the Lost. I loved all the characters, so having one of the side character get their own story was great. For the most part I loved the book. I really enjoy Brigid Kemmerer's writing. She knows how to write characters that grow and are flawed. When they do something that crappy there are consequences and they're called out for their behavior. I really enjoy that kind of writing. Seeing Rev's journey throughout the book was both heartbreaking and frustrating because he does things you wish he won't do, but it makes complete sense. I had a harder time with the other POV of Emma. While I said wonderful things about this author I do think she missed the mark quite a bit with this character. It some cases I felt for her, but in others I didn't at all. Maybe that was the point because other characters do call her out for it. The whole cyber bullying I felt for her. The way she treated her Mom, her friend, and Rev was beyond ridiculous sometimes. She was close to being added to one of my least favorite character list. When she was great she was great, but when she was bad she annoyed the crap out of me.I feel like it's combo of the writing and me not being a fan of this kind of character.
The author also kind of tried to duplicate the romance in the first book at it didn't work. I didn't feel the connection that she was presenting at all.
I also agreed with some reviewers that Rev's adopted parents were a bit to perfect. There is a sort of mystery to the cyber bullying that I thought was handled well. Having Declan and Juliet (Only small scenes with her.) was a real joy. It made me want to re-read Letters to the Lost. Overall I really enjoyed the book and this author's writing, but because of Emma, who is a huge chunk of the book, I have to give it *** 2/3

Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi - This book is in a world where there use to be magic. The people who wielded it were killed and those who could, but now can't are now oppressed. All of which was ordered from a ruthless King. This all changed when a chance to bring magic back occurs. It have three POV from different perspective in this society.
This is not going to be a popular opinion because it seems like 99% people loved this book. I wasn't one of them, which is a bummer. It's a book that was a little slow at first, mostly because of new things I need to learn, but the first half was pretty good. I thought it was intriguing, but then the second half came into play.....it really went downhill for me. It felt rushed and things went a complete 180 with some people that I got brain whiplash. Romances that were completely undeveloped, wishy washy plot devices, but mostly the romance that took up a huge junk of the second half of the book. There is also a character who was supposed to come off conflicted, but wasn't written well enough to make me care. That character ended up making another character look stupid because that relationship was rushed. At one point a brother calls his sister a whore. The main character came of childish and stupid at times, and I don't think the author intended for you to feel that about her. One these characters ended up on my least favorite character list. I only really liked one character. She was strong, flawed, but a well-developed character. I really enjoyed reading her character arc. By the time I got to the end of the book I wanted to be over and I had no intention to read the next one, but the the last few chapters, I'll admit, has hooked me. I won't be rushing out to read it, but I am intrigued, which kind of annoys me. lol Overall the first half was good the second not so much. The writing style wasn't bad either. I ended up giving it. ** 1/2

Scythe by Neal Shusterman - This story is about a world where there is no hunger, disease, war or misery and they found way to basically conquer death. Because of that they created this system called the Scythes that decided who will die or not to stop over population. It from the POV of two new apprentices.
I never really had any intention to read this book because the premise didn't sound like something I was interested in....I think I should have heeded to that feeling. I'll get to the good part. I think the writing style was good and it had some good characters. Unfortunately it wasn't the main characters, who were flat and not very interesting. The story itself started strong, but became boring and I knew where some of it was going even when they writer was trying to make it mysterious. The more I got into it the less the world made sense in its rules regarding Scythe and the part they play in it. That the world would accept such a thing ...I would believe in fairies before it. The relationship were're supposed to care about I didn't. They barely had any moments together and when they did they barley talked or bonded. There is a villain in the book and I get what they writer was trying to do with it, but it just came off like a stock villain, a dull villain. Just like the previous book there is one character that I loved, the shining light. I would have loved to read more about that character, but I don't trust the writer. Overall I didn't hate it, but I didn't like it I gave it **. No desire to read the next books.

The Cabinet of Wonders by Marie Rutkoski - This about a young girl named Petra Kronos, who lives a simple life until the day her father comes home blind. The Prince has stolen her father's eyes via wizard. She decided to get them back with the help of some friends she meet and with her adorable tin spider. Yes, I wrote that.
It was fun reading it because you can see the progress of her writing. Funny enough I read backwards from new to old. This is her debut novel, from what I gather. It was sweet and charming book, but at the same time very simple, which doesn't completely appeal to me. The writing style was nice and the world was interesting enough to keep my interest. I enjoyed the relationship between two of the bigger characters. It shows character hints that would be in her latter books. I have to mention the spider. I adored him. He was just the sweetest. He was my favorite character. This is neither a good or bad statement. It a middle grade book that will appeal to them, but maybe not to older readers. It sweet straight forward story that can get boring at times and alittle slow. It me not you for this book. I gave it ** 2/3

These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly - This is a story about a girl named Jo Montfort, who lives in high society. She's going to finish finishing school and become married like all the other girls, but really she wants to be a reporter. Aside from that she had a pretty good life until the death of her father who accidentally shot himself while cleaning his gun. This is what the police and coroner say, but Jo knows her father and knows he would never do such a thing. She decided to investigate it herself along with a handsome brash reporter from her father's newspaper. The more she digs the more things are uncovered with more questions than answers. The past can never stayed buried especially in shallow graves.
Another book where the first half was really strong, but was weaken in the second half with an unnecessary cliché plot device. The thing that only made it a little okay was that it was called out. It was just not needed though and it was a big part of the story, so it dragged it down a lot. How it was resolved was the best way it could have gone, but overall took some of the enjoyment out of it for me. The main character who lived a pretty shelter life was a bit naive and that was fine, but sometimes the writer went too far and made her look stupid. She was a very frustrating character. There is a lot of mystery and twists, but you realize one or two pretty early on in the book and it shocking that none of the characters speculated about it especially the reporter. The writing style was great and there was moments that kept me on the edge especially those last chapters. I gave it ***

Last edited by *OldHollywoodStarlet*; 07-09-2018 at 02:41 PM
Old 07-10-2018, 08:39 PM
Fan Forum Star

Lightless by C.A. Higgins

Quote:
Serving aboard the Ananke, an experimental military spacecraft launched by the ruthless organization that rules Earth and its solar system, computer scientist Althea has established an intense emotional bond—not with any of her crewmates, but with the ship’s electronic systems, which speak more deeply to her analytical mind than human feelings do. But when a pair of fugitive terrorists gain access to the Ananke, Althea must draw upon her heart and soul for the strength to defend her beloved ship.

While one of the saboteurs remains at large somewhere on board, his captured partner—the enigmatic Ivan—may prove to be more dangerous. The perversely fascinating criminal whose silver tongue is his most effective weapon has long evaded the authorities’ most relentless surveillance—and kept the truth about his methods and motives well hidden.

As the ship’s systems begin to malfunction and the claustrophobic atmosphere is increasingly poisoned by distrust and suspicion, it falls to Althea to penetrate the prisoner’s layers of intrigue and deception before all is lost. But when the true nature of Ivan’s mission is exposed, it will change Althea forever—if it doesn’t kill her first.
picked this up at NYCC 2016 and my copy is signed by the author.

I very much enjoyed this sci-fi story. The characters really got to me and made me think. It was hard to side with anyone. There are no clear heroes. Everyone has a dark side so it was like picking the lesser of evils. I felt like a detective.

The computer science and laws of physics goes way over my head but I enjoy the evolution
[Spoiler alert!!]
Spoiler:

This is definitely a story that had a good mix of character studies and science-fiction.

I also enjoyed that there was no ridiculous love triangle, square or quadrangle. I didn't mind that there was no romance at all.

The suspense is exciting and when I was about half way through I went out to buy the second book of the trilogy so I could dive right in.

A few downsides:
I didn't like similarities of names. Althea, Ananke, and Annwn. It takes more effort for me to read and distinguish between characters if they all start with the same letter.

I didn't like the long chapters. It's 288 pages but only has 10 chapters. Come on!

I would have liked a map of the solar system, like there was in the Red Rising trilogy. Are there added dwarf planets of our solar system in this universe? Or are they just moons? Perhaps the next book will venture there and explain more.

4 out of 5 Laws of Thermodynamics.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:45 AM
Fan Forum Star

You are really hard to please, Tara. I can't remember the last review you have given more than a 3 star to. I can't even imagine reading a lot of books and not liking or loving most.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It is pain. That's why I take a break once in a while.

FYI I just want to clarify that three stars or so isn’t bad. It means I enjoyed it, but it’s not a book that completely grabbed me nor a book I might read over and over again.

I'm going to do my DNF books first. I'm sure A LOT of people will shocked about this first book.

A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic, #1) by V.E. Schwab – I decided to just add a link because I don’t think I could get any of it right. lol https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...shade-of-magic

I think she has a wonderful writing style, but I thought it was boring and I couldn’t connect with the characters. I read over 100 pages before I DNFed it. I knew I needed to stop when I was starting to skim the pages. Shame I really like her writing style. DNF

Scream All Night by Derek Milman – It’s about boy named Dario who used to live on a B-Movie set, which also was him home. It’s been three years since Dario’s even seen the place, after getting legally emancipated from his father, the infamous director of Moldavia’s creature features. But then Dario’s brother invites him home to a mysterious ceremony involving his father and a tribute to his first film—The Curse of the Mummy’s Tongue. Dario swears his homecoming will be a one-time visit. A way for him to get closure on his past—and reunite with Hayley, his first love and costar of Zombie Children of the Harvest Sun, a production fraught with real-life tragedy—and say good-bye for good. But the unthinkable happens—Dario gets sucked back into the twisted world of Moldavia and the horrors, both real and imagined, he’s left there.

I’m not the biggest horror fan, but the premise sounded interesting with the whole family drama. I knew pretty early on I wasn’t going to like this book with some really unnecessary “jokes” and it just went downhill from there. It was too bizarre for my taste and more crud that I like to read. DNF

Sanctuary by Caryn Lix – A book about a junior guard named Kenzie who’s a citizen of Omnistellar Concepts, the most powerful corporation in the solar system. Kenzie life goal is to become an elite guard in the Sanctuary that holds teen with superpowers too dangerous for earth. Things unravel and come to light that changed not just her, but the whole of human existence.
It very much feels like two books that have been mesh together. Not like blended together, but like part one and part two, and because of that it goes a bit quicker in some place than I would have liked it to. It goes over character moments too fast and they don’t explore the themes of the story as well. It had some good ideas that fell flat at some points. They tried to write conflicting characters, which sometime worked and didn’t work, so it came off a bit wishy washy. Considering this story seems to have happened around two or three days some of choices and thought process didn’t make sense or at least wasn’t explored enough. This should have been two books. There is one character that I liked 2/3 through the book, but ended disliking by the end of it. Though the concept could have been handled better it was enjoyable. The writing was brisk and easy. Most of the characters were entertaining. The ideas were intriguing. The romance at times was done well and was sweet. I give this book *** ½ I’m interested and enoyed it, so I'm going to read the sequel, but I’ll most likely wait till my library has it.

Wild Blue Wonder by Carlie Sorosiak – This book is about girl named Quinn who lives with her family at a Summer Camp in Winship, Main that her parent run. It considered a magical place with blue berries growing in the dead of winter. According to local legend, a sea monster even lurks off the coast. Mostly, there’s just a feeling that something extraordinary could happen there. An accident happens during the summer that drains the magic from her life and the lives of her family. One she believes is her fault. It goes back and forth between the summer of the event and the fallout.
I want to get the bad out the way first. There is a storyline that runs through the book that impacts the present day events. I wasn’t a fan of a certain part of it. Also it was slow at times.
Now to the overwhelming good stuff. Character development is one of my favorite parts of books. I thought this book did a wonderful job of doing that, even when it was slow. I look back on it and appreciate it. I liked how the writer unraveled the event of the book with aftermath; the stages of grief and coming to terms. That everyone deals with it in their own way and how it effects the relationships between loved one. I’ll admit the sister to the main character was a total pain, borderline cruel, and though I eventually got why she acted that way it was still hard to warm up to her. I loved Quinn’s relationship with her friend, grandma, and her brother. This book completely moved me. I saw a review that said it made them cry so many times and I was like yeah right, but I cried a lot. If you don’t like magical realism, I’ve read a few didn’t like them, this one I think this might be good for you. It subtle it the best way possible. At first I wasn’t a fan of the writing format because it has two styles one POV in the present and then the other, same POV, but in like a journal/talking to someone for the past. The latter was a bit to get used to, but I ended up loving it. There is romance in the book and I loved it. I loved how it was developed. It grab my heart and has become one of my favorite book ships. This is one of my favorite books, maybe my favorite, of this year. Just reflecting on it I really can’t wait to read it again. **** 2/3

Last edited by *OldHollywoodStarlet*; 07-26-2018 at 06:07 PM
Old 07-28-2018, 08:26 PM
Fan Forum Star

Supernova by C.A. Higgins

Quote:
C. A. Higgins’s acclaimed novel Lightless fused suspenseful storytelling, high-caliber scientific speculation, and richly developed characters into a stunning science fiction epic. Now the dazzling Supernova heightens the thrills and deepens the haunting exploration of technology and humanity—and the consequences that await when the two intersect.

Once Ananke was an experimental military spacecraft. But a rogue computer virus transformed it—her—into something much more: a fully sentient artificial intelligence, with all the power of a god—and all the unstable emotions of a teenager.

Althea, the ship’s engineer and the last living human aboard, nearly gave her life to save Ananke from dangerous saboteurs, forging a bond as powerful as that between mother and daughter. Now she devotes herself completely to Ananke’s care. But teaching a thinking, feeling machine—perhaps the most dangerous force in the galaxy—to be human proves a monumental challenge. When Ananke decides to seek out Matthew Gale, the terrorist she regards as her father, Althea learns that some bonds are stronger than mortal minds can understand—or control.

Drawn back toward Earth by the quest, Althea and Ananke will find themselves in the thick of a violent revolution led by Matthew’s sister, the charismatic leader Constance, who will stop at nothing to bring down a tyrannical surveillance state. As the currents of past decisions and present desires come into stark collision, a new and fiery future is about to be born.

Supernova picks up right where Lightless left off. I’m glad I went right into it after reading Lightless because there are lots of details to remember.

This time the story expands outside the Ananke. The characters jump to different planets in the solar system. We also get to see a glimpse of the past as they
Spoiler:
So it’s a bit of a prequel to Lightless too.

It was interesting to see the events Ivan described in Lightless through Constance's eyes, and to see more of him and Mattie on screen together.
Spoiler:

I like how it showed the dark side and reality of war and betrayal within the rebellion. Most were taking it too far and becoming warmongers instead of having a clear idea of how to rebuild the system they destroyed. How will they be free? What kind of government will replace it?

Althea and Ananke are more in a side plot role but I really enjoyed their story. I liked the similarities and symbolism of Ananke with Frankenstein's monster. Particularly when Ananke wants a companion like herself. She also has the God complex. I’m interested in the trickle effect Ananke’s actions will have on solar system.

Something I noticed about this science fiction novel is that it’s ALL told by female POVs. That is a plus. They’re all flawed characters trying but failing to do the right thing.

I couldn’t help but notice some similarities with the Red Rising saga.

Connie is like Eo. Both chooses revolution over love. Which makes Ivan like Darrow.
There’s some inclusion of mythology. One of the revolutionaries called himself Son of Nike.
Then of course there’s the interplanetary warfare in our solar system and it’s breaking apart The difference here is that there is an A.I. - Nero's worst fear.

The downsides:

Again the long chapters. Only 6 chapters in a 290 page book. I just had to read a whole chapter in a day. It was like an OCD thing.

The A names again. There were two new characters Arawn and Altais. It gets confusing to read when too many characters have a name with the same letter.

4 out of 5 Burning Stars.

Radiate by C.A. Higgins

Quote:
In the follow-up to Lightless and Supernova, C. A. Higgins again fuses science fiction, suspense, and drama to tell the story of a most unlikely heroine: Ananke, once a military spacecraft, now a sentient artificial intelligence. Ananke may have the powers of a god, but she is consumed by a very human longing: to know her creators.

Now Ananke is on a quest to find companionship, understanding, and even love. She is accompanied by Althea, the engineer who created her, and whom she sees as her mother. And she is in search of her father, Matthew, the programmer whose code gave her the spark of life.

But Matthew is on a strange quest of his own, traveling the galaxy alongside Ivan, with whom he shares a deeply painful history. Ananke and her parents are racing toward an inevitable collision, with consequences as violent as the birth of the solar system itself and as devastating as the discovery of love.
Radiate was a great and satisfying conclusion to the Lightless trilogy. I loved how each book focused on different important characters. The construction was really well thought out and executed. Lightless sets up the story and is linear. Supernova and Radiate move back and forth in time, (fits the theory of time travel) and does it in a really organized way.

In Radiate each Part starts with Ananke and Althea's POV, then the chapters focus on Ivan and Mattie through flashbacks to set up some history and the development of their friendship while also showing us their present story. It's all spelled out so there is no way to get confused when what scene takes place. I do have one critique and though it didn't ruin the book it does really annoyed me. I really wished we got to see a flashback of how Ivan and Mattie found out about the Ananke and why they decided to go investigate her. I thought we would get one towards the end where it would have fit in perfectly.

Most of Radiate focuses on what Mattie and Ivan were up to for the time period of Supernova, which they were only mentioned in (except for flashbacks). Both men are dealing with and learning to face the consequences of their actions. I also felt Ivan's PTSD was handled really well. His time in captivity and Ida Stays still haunts him.

Like I said, Ananke and Althea don't appear much in this book, but I feel that that's ok because their scenes would have been very redundant.
Spoiler:
We already know what havoc Ananke has been up to, so now we got to see the consequences of her actions.

I also want to give a shout out to the cover designs. I love the faces with the stars and how each book has one of Ananke's parents. Ivan, Althea, then Mattie. (At least that is who I think they represent.)

I am very glad I decided to read them all at once so that the details were fresh in my mind. It was like binge watching an awesome sci-fi mini-series.

Radiate - 4.5 out of 5 Con Men
Lightless Trilogy - 4.5 out of 5 A.I. Spaceships.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:05 AM
Fan Forum Star

Radiate by C.A. Higgins
Quote:
In the follow-up to Lightless and Supernova, C. A. Higgins again fuses science fiction, suspense, and drama to tell the story of a most unlikely heroine: Ananke, once a military spacecraft, now a sentient artificial intelligence. Ananke may have the powers of a god, but she is consumed by a very human longing: to know her creators.

Now Ananke is on a quest to find companionship, understanding, and even love. She is accompanied by Althea, the engineer who created her, and whom she sees as her mother. And she is in search of her father, Matthew, the programmer whose code gave her the spark of life.

But Matthew is on a strange quest of his own, traveling the galaxy alongside Ivan, with whom he shares a deeply painful history. Ananke and her parents are racing toward an inevitable collision, with consequences as violent as the birth of the solar system itself and as devastating as the discovery of love.
Radiate was a great and satisfying conclusion to the Lightless trilogy. I loved how each book focused on different important characters. The construction was really well thought out and executed. Lightless sets up the story and is linear. Supernova and Radiate move back and forth in time, (fits the theory of time travel) and does it in a really organized way. In Radiate each Part starts with Ananke and Althea's POV, then the chapters focus on Ivan and Mattie through flashbacks to set up some history and the development of their friendship while also showing us their present story. It's all spelled out so there is no way to get confused when what scene takes place. I do have one critique and though it didn't ruin the book it does really annoyed me. I really wished we got to see a flashback of how Ivan and Mattie found out
Spoiler:

Most of Radiate focuses on what Mattie and Ivan were up to for the time period of Supernova, which they were only mentioned in (except for flashbacks). Both men are dealing with and learning to face the consequences of their actions. I also felt Ivan's PTSD was handled really well.
Spoiler:

Like I said, Ananke and Althea don't appear much in this book, but I feel that that's ok because their scenes would have been very redundant.

Spoiler:

We already know what havoc Ananke has been up to, so now we got to see the consequences of her actions.

I also want to give a shout out to the cover designs. I love the faces with the stars and how each book has one of Ananke's parents. Ivan, Althea, then Mattie. (At least that is who I think they represent.)

I am very glad I decided to read them all at once so that the details were fresh in my mind. It was like binge watching an awesome sci-fi mini-series.

Radiate - 4.5 out of 5 Con Men
Lightless Trilogy - 4.5 out of 5 A.I. Spaceships.

Star Wars: Thrawn: Alliances by Timothy Zahn, narrated by Marc Thompson. 13 hours 21 minutes.

Quote:
Grand Admiral Thrawn and Darth Vader ally against a threat to the Empire in this new novel from bestselling author Timothy Zahn.

"I have sensed a disturbance in the Force."

Ominous words under any circumstances, but all the more so when uttered by Emperor Palpatine. On Batuu, at the edges of the Unknown Regions, a threat to the Empire is taking root—its existence little more than a glimmer, its consequences as yet unknowable. But it is troubling enough to the Imperial leader to warrant investigation by his most powerful agents: ruthless enforcer Lord Darth Vader and brilliant strategist Grand Admiral Thrawn. Fierce rivals for the emperor's favor, and outspoken adversaries on Imperial affairs—including the Death Star project—the formidable pair seem unlikely partners for such a crucial mission. But the Emperor knows it's not the first time Vader and Thrawn have joined forces. And there's more behind his royal command than either man suspects.

In what seems like a lifetime ago, General Anakin Skywalker of the Galactic Republic, and Commander Mitth'raw'nuruodo, officer of the Chiss Ascendancy, crossed paths for the first time. One on a desperate personal quest, the other with motives unknown…and undisclosed. But facing a gauntlet of dangers on a far-flung world, they forged an uneasy alliance—neither remotely aware of what their futures held in store.

Now, thrust together once more, they find themselves bound again for the planet where they once fought side by side. There they will be doubly challenged—by a test of their allegiance to the Empire…and an enemy that threatens even their combined might.
My wish came true! I had mentioned in my review of the prequel that I wanted the story of when Thrawn met Anakin Skywalker and would he figure out that he became Darth Vader?

I don't think one has to read Thrawn before reading this sequel, but it sure would help to know his background. That said I was reading some reviews on Goodreads and some people mentioned that they missed Eli Vanto. I honestly did not. Though knowing the outcome of Thrawn: Alliances I wouldn't mind seeing what he is up to with the Chiss Ascendancy.

I listened to this story on audible and once again Marc Thompson is a fantastic narrator. I did laugh at his voice for Padmé, but what can you do? He's not Natalie Portman, or Catherine Taber.

I like that we have a time frame. The past is set after Ahsoka has already left the Jedi Order. The present is set after the Battle of Atollon on Star Wars: Rebels. So between seasons 3 and 4.

I'll start with some critiques and then end on the positive. This is going to get spoiler-y.

`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`

-In the beginning of the book I kind of felt that Anakin and Vader were dumbed down a bit to build up Thrawn. I know Anakin is impulsive and acts recklessly, but he seemed a bit too oblivious at the start. Vader as well. As the novel went on it happened less and by the end Anakin and Vader were making their own observations without Thrawn's help.
(I saw on twitter someone called it Thrawnsplaining - which I have to admit cracked me up!)

-I think this only annoyed me because I was listening to an audiobook. Had I been reading the written word my eyes most likely would have skipped it, but once again Thrawn says "Perhaps" way too much. Even Vader and Anakin were saying it. I was saying to myself, "I forbid you to use that word ever again, Mr. Zahn."

-This is a minor thing but since when is Vader pro-Death Star project? He didn't seem to be in A New Hope when he says the power of Death Star pales in comparison to the Force.

On to the positive!

- First off, YES to Padmé getting more literary content. Her parts were some of my favorites. I especially like the epilogue when she is questioning the war and her actions during it while repeating clichés like "This is war" and "collateral damage." It's a good lead into the (deleted) events of RotS when she petitions with other Senators to end the war.

- Not as much romance for my OTP, but having Anakin and Padmé unsuccessfully try to hide it from Thrawn was amusing.

- I really liked the way a few of the battle scenes were written. In particular when Anakin was fighting and would see into the future. The "double vision" was a nice touch to describe it. I really loved BOTH scenes when Vader was fighting
Spoiler:
I thought that was so cool.

- I also loved in Chapter 8 when Thrawn
Spoiler:
That was a cool maneuver!

- Victory and Revenge. Nice balance of when Thrawn brought that up to Anakin and then Vader threw it back at Thrawn decades later.

- Which brings me to how I loved the power play between Thrawn & Vader and whenever Thrawn was trolling Vader by bringing up Skywalker. Ok, maybe he wasn't trolling, but he was testing his theory! I thought maybe Thrawn knew for sure when he
Spoiler:

I could go into so much more detail, but since this is a Zahn novel that would be a very long review. It's better suited for a book club discussion.

4 out of 5 Cortosis ore.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:08 AM
Fan Forum Star

Indepth review. Thanks
Old 08-14-2018, 07:44 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yea. Thanks!
Old 09-16-2018, 05:37 PM
Fan Forum Star

Daughters of the Storm by Kim Wilkins

Quote:
Five very different sisters team up against their stepbrother to save their kingdom in this Norse-flavored fantasy epic--the start of a new series in the tradition of Naomi Novik, Peter V. Brett, and Robin Hobb.

FIVE ROYAL SISTERS. ONE CROWN.

They are the daughters of a king. Though they share the same royal blood, they could not be more different. Bluebell is a proud warrior, stronger than any man and with an ironclad heart to match. Rose's heart is all too passionate: She is the queen of a neighboring kingdom, who is risking everything for a forbidden love. The twins: vain Ivy, who lives for admiration, and zealous Willow, who lives for the gods. And Ash, who is discovering a dangerous talent for magic that might be a gift--or a curse.

But when their father is stricken by a mysterious ailment, they must come together on a desperate journey to save him and prevent their treacherous stepbrother from seizing the throne. Their mission: find the powerful witch who can cure the king. But to succeed on their quest, they must overcome their differences, and hope that the secrets they hide from one another and the world are never brought to light. Because if this royal family breaks, it could destroy the kingdom.
I received an ARC of Daughters of the Storm when I purchased After On at NYCC 2017.

Daughters of the Storm is the first book of the Blood and Gold series.

I actually finished the book about a month ago and have not had any time to review it, so this write up will be short.

What I really liked about DotS is that it's a story about strong, flawed, complex women.
It's a good story about sisters with their loyalty and their differences with each other.
Each woman has her own strengths and weakness that set up the foundation for character development.

I like the world building. There is the term Space Opera - this is a Medieval Opera, thought set in a fantasy realm with magic.

If I were to give one critique it's that it drags a bit in some places, but never to the point where I was so bored it felt like a chore to read.

I certainly am interested to read the next book and see where the cliffhangers lead.

4 out of 5 Swords.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:01 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Small Spaces by Katherine Arden

Plot:
Quote:
After suffering a tragic loss, eleven-year-old Ollie only finds solace in books. So when she happens upon a crazed woman at the river threatening to throw a book into the water, Ollie doesn't think--she just acts, stealing the book and running away. As she begins to read the slender volume, Ollie discovers a chilling story about a girl named Beth, the two brothers who both loved her, and a peculiar deal made with "the smiling man," a sinister specter who grants your most tightly held wish, but only for the ultimate price.

Ollie is captivated by the tale until her school trip the next day to Smoke Hollow, a local farm with a haunting history all its own. There she stumbles upon the graves of the very people she's been reading about. Could it be the story about the smiling man is true? Ollie doesn't have too long to think about the answer to that. On the way home, the school bus breaks down, sending their teacher back to the farm for help. But the strange bus driver has some advice for the kids left behind in his care: "Best get moving. At nightfall they'll come for the rest of you." Nightfall is, indeed, fast descending when Ollie's previously broken digital wristwatch, a keepsake reminder of better times, begins a startling countdown and delivers a terrifying message: RUN.

Only Ollie and two of her classmates heed the bus driver's warning. As the trio head out into the woods--bordered by a field of scarecrows that seem to be watching them--the bus driver has just one final piece of advice for Ollie and her friends: "Avoid large places. Keep to small."

And with that, a deliciously creepy and hair-raising adventure begins.
Review:

Quote:
I purchased this book at NYCC.

I really like Katherine Arden's Winternight Trilogy, so more stories from her makes me very happy. I enjoyed Small Spaces a lot. I am much older than middle grade, but I thought it was an engaging and creative story. I wanted to find out the answers to all the questions presented, and I look forward to sequels that maybe go more into the Smiling Man's history and more of the bad deeds he has people do in the outside world.

Another thing I must give top marks to Katherine Arden for is making the voices of the characters totally different from her characters in Bear and the Nightingale + The Girl in the Tower. Not once while reading did I think Ollie sounded like Vasilisa. They had similar character traits - bravery, intelligence etc. - but they did feel like two different people

Old 10-28-2018, 03:29 PM
Fan Forum Star

Great review! I am going to read it too soon.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread