Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2010, 03:44 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkative One (View Post)
The Mortal Instruments

Aww thats no good
Haha! I knew it! I read City of Bones and City of Ashes already. I'm currently reading City of Glass.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:08 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I was presently surprised on how good the books were
Old 04-25-2010, 04:34 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
I plan to Succubus myself it sounds good
It's so good! I was so surprised that it was good. You guys should definitely check it out. There's even a new book released last month... I should really get to that one.

I agree with you guys about the The Mortal Instruments series. They're one of my favorite YA series -- up there with Harry Potter and The Hunger Games for me.

Quote:
I'm a 23 year old girl who is looking for books with heroines my age or at least in their 20s. I'm a little sick of the paranormal/fantasy high school books. I'm interested in romance, not historical, books. Any recommendations?
I have two more.

I read The Last Summer (of You and Me) by Ann Brashares recently, and I'd recommend it for you even though I thought that it was just okay. If you like Nicholas Sparks' books, I think you'll like this one.

Quote:
The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants author delivers her first novel for adults, a treacly tale about the tribulations a trio of longtime friends encounter. For as long as she can remember, 21-year-old Alice has spent summers on Fire Island with her parents and older sister, Riley. Riley, 24, is a beach lifeguard, more boyish in both looks and spirit than sweet, feminine Alice. An island neighbor and Riley's best friend, Paul, whose father is dead and mother mostly absent, returns to the island after two years away and must decide whether to sell his family's house there. More importantly, he and Alice finally act on an attraction they've felt for years, but they keep their frequent nuzzling quiet so as not to hurt Riley. Riley, meanwhile, has her own problems that could ruin Alice and Paul's clandestine romance and just about everything else.
I'd also recommend Mr. Maybe by Jane Green. It's a fun, amusing chick-lit book.

Quote:
Yet another endearingly flawed, contemporary London career girl comes down the pike in this latest novel by British writer Green (Jemima J). Libby Mason, 27, enjoys her fashionable career in PR, but is determined to marry a rich, "gorgeous" man who will support her in sumptuous style and allow her to join the class of ladies who lunch. Her previous relationships have proven unsatisfactory on all fronts, but then she meets Nick, who happens to be "gorgeous," smart, funny, sensitive and unparalleled in the sack, but unfortunately also a struggling writer who lives in a "grotty" (but clean) bedsit. Libby decides to have fun in bed with Nick and not fall in love, because he's not rich and she doesn't like his left-wing, blue-collar friends. They do have lots of great sex, until Nick breaks up with Libby because he is too attracted to her and isn't ready for a relationship. Libby turns for comfort to her best friend, Jules, who is happily married to the "gorgeous" Jamie. On a girl's night on the town, Libby meets well-known financier Ed McMahon, who is very rich and very eligible, but not "gorgeous" he is older, pompous, boring and the worst lay she has ever had, but when he proposes Libby accepts, as she sees her dream of becoming the idle rich at last coming true. Despite an annoying overuse of the word "gorgeous," Libby Mason manages to garner reader sympathy and even a cheer or two. There are no surprises here and a few loose ends dangle (allusions to Nick's hidden upper-class roots are never explained), but Green has a charming way with dialogue and sex scenes, making this a cheerful summer read.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:37 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I plan to read everything from that author that series and VA
Old 04-26-2010, 08:01 AM
Passionate Fan

I picked up The Last Summer of You and Me from my library last Friday.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:16 AM
Fan Forum Legend

You are ahead of us seems that you share common interests with most of us here
Old 04-26-2010, 02:43 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
I plan to read everything from that author that series and VA
That's great! I haven't read VA yet -- let me know if you ever do!

Quote:
I picked up The Last Summer of You and Me from my library last Friday.
We must have been reading each other's minds.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:51 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I'm thinking sometime this Fall maybe in September for VA
Old 04-26-2010, 02:57 PM
Total Fan

I read all of Ann Brasheres books The Last Summer of You and Me was a good read. It's so different when you read her YA books and then her book for adults.

"What I need is the dandelion in the spring, only Peeta can give me that."-Peeta/Katniss
Old 04-26-2010, 03:37 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
I'm thinking sometime this Fall maybe in September for VA
That's cool.

Quote:
I read all of Ann Brasheres books The Last Summer of You and Me was a good read. It's so different when you read her YA books and then her book for adults.
I haven't read her The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series. The Last Summer of You and Me was my first book from her. It was just okay to me I thought. A teensy bit sappy, but maybe I'm just not into those type of books. Her upcoming new one, My Name is Memory, sounds intriguing though!

Old 04-28-2010, 04:27 AM
Part-Time Fan

Hey
I don't know if this is the place..but I'm looking for any book/s that circle around a character who has an emotional?shield and hides behind e.g sarcasm to regularly deflect others. And the character's shield (throughout the book) eventually gets broken down by an experience/person? I'd love it if it was witty/humorous yet having a bitter edge or whatever? I don't know if i made ANY sense..but if any book remotely sounds anything like my description then...any recommendations?

Mimi
Old 04-28-2010, 05:55 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I can suggest The Vampire Diaries plus her series now The Return that takes those characters and made a new story The first series has 4 books and the new one has 2 out of 3 done

Damon is like that a vampire that has a wall built up and uses sacrasm/witty to shield everybody away plus shield himself. He has slowly let pieces fall down from the wall. The books are alright but I love my Damon
Old 04-28-2010, 06:09 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwei Gesicht (View Post)
Hey
I don't know if this is the place..but I'm looking for any book/s that circle around a character who has an emotional?shield and hides behind e.g sarcasm to regularly deflect others. And the character's shield (throughout the book) eventually gets broken down by an experience/person? I'd love it if it was witty/humorous yet having a bitter edge or whatever? I don't know if i made ANY sense..but if any book remotely sounds anything like my description then...any recommendations?
Here, you might try this thread instead. It's a thread specifically for searching for books and people have some really good suggestions on that thread as well.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:24 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Though this thread was a good place to start

Angel I think that one is for specified books that someone has read and just forgot the name. Sounds like this person is asking for general recommendations, but I may be wrong
Old 04-29-2010, 12:10 AM
Total Fan

For some reason I didn't get into The Vampire Diaries. I think it could be the diary entry writing? I also think because I wasn't really concentrated on the story. I want to give it a try once more soon.

"What I need is the dandelion in the spring, only Peeta can give me that."-Peeta/Katniss
Closed Thread   Post New Thread