Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2004, 05:44 PM
Passionate Fan

Acttess12: Thanks for the info. I'm not surprised that there wasn't much Ryan, he wasn't featured very much in the Anatomy of a Scene from "The Believer" either.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:19 PM
Extreme Fan

I think the purpose of the show isn't just to focus on the actors, but shed light on all the aspects of the scene--writing, directing, lighting, costuming, etc. I don't know if they're trying to say that acting is just a teeny-tiny part of what makes a scene work, and that's why actors are featured so little, or what the exact philosophy behind it is. I've noticed it in all the AofS specials, so I don't think they're just snubbing dear Ryan!

Rian
Old 04-26-2004, 06:41 PM
Passionate Fan

Rian: I agree. The actors don't get snubbed, they're just featured minimally because the acting isn't the only aspect of the scene.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:33 PM
New Fan

*jumping in* ... and plus, doesn't ryan hate talking about his acting? i believe this quote is from him (if it's not then sorry in advance),

"There's nothing worse than listening to actors talk about acting."

so i doubt he cares if they barely mention him at all. that's one of the things i love about him, he's so humble and honest, he doesn't give you the same old hollywood bull***** that most actors spit out. he doesn't crave for attention, he just does his own thing, and he's so damn good at it.

by the way, if you guys haven't already, you should read the best article done on him, in my opinion, here

oh, and just wanted to give you guys props for keeping this thread alive. i don't post much, but i do like to come here and read what you guys say.

and one more thing, love the pictures.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:34 AM
Passionate Fan

the_spill_canvas: I think it's refreshing to know that there's an actor who doesn't like to talk about himself.

I think it's better for him too, because with good press, bad press undoubtedly follows. It's great that we watch his work & we discuss it, but he's not one of those actors who is all over the television.

EDITED: This is a quote about Ryan from the Fort Worth Star Telegram (the_spill_canvas posted the link)

Andrew Smith (co-director of The Slaughter Rule):
"When he gets a script, he goes through each line, and he uses colored pencils to shade the feeling of the character at different moments," Smith says. "At some point, we were just sort of admiring his technique, and he said the most flattering thing I've ever heard. He said, 'I don't have enough pencils for this character.' I felt the same way about him. We couldn't give him enough scenes and enough shots."

[ 04-27-2004: Message edited YellowRose ]
Old 04-27-2004, 10:38 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by YellowRose:

"When he gets a script, he goes through each line, and he uses colored pencils to shade the feeling of the character at different moments," Smith says. "At some point, we were just sort of admiring his technique, and he said the most flattering thing I've ever heard. He said, 'I don't have enough pencils for this character.' I felt the same way about him. We couldn't give him enough scenes and enough shots."

[ 04-27-2004: Message edited YellowRose ]
I love that, and it's so true. When I watch a movie with him in it, I can only focus on him in a scene because he seems to be in a different mind set every few seconds. He really becomes the character, and that is what I admire about him.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:51 AM
Passionate Fan

Chrissy: Do you remember me telling you about that seen in Titans when he's dancing around in the background? Here's another quote from that same interview:

Boaz Yakin: "He's doing a little thing, or making some little expression - just being slightly separate from the pack. Ryan just perfectly knew how to steal a little attention for himself, but not in a way that wasn't within what the scenes were about."

And here's a quote that I really liked:
Of course, with Gosling's commitment and intensity also comes a certain degree of ego. "I think he has a sense of his own depth," Smith says. "He definitely has his own ideas. Sometimes, if you don't necessarily agree, he'll give you a look that says, 'Well, you'll be sorry.'"

It's nice to know that he's taking more pride in his work. In so many interviews, the writer (or Ryan himself) makes him seem really self-deprecating. It's good to know that he feels like they'll "be sorry" if
they don't at least give his ideas a chance.

And the colored pencils? That's got to be really time consuming, and it shows his commitment.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:30 AM
Passionate Fan

That's what I love about him. He's commited, and he's not one of those actors out there to be a heartthrob and make millions of dollars. To Ryan, it's all about the story and the character. He doesn't bull****** around.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:19 PM
Addicted Fan

Aw, I'm sorry you guys didn't get to see Leland. That sucks. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Those quotes are so interesting. I love the part about the colored pencils. He puts a lot of work into understanding his character and it shows.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:37 PM
Passionate Fan

* Jen *: Have you seen Leland?

These are from Slightly Askew:

Old 04-27-2004, 05:00 PM
Passionate Fan

More pictures (from Slightly Askew):

Old 04-27-2004, 06:53 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
I also think the colored pencils correlate back to a certain learning disability that he has. He has a hard time learning through traditional ways, so his parents found out he learns well through color, art and movement. So, I took it that he uses the colored pencils to help help him memorize lines, and make the words come "alive" to him~
I also read that he has to touch his co-stars, props, scenery a lot to help him get into character; connect w/ the material. He may have grown out of that, though~
Rian
Old 04-28-2004, 06:26 AM
Passionate Fan

That is a really creative way to learn things. I would imagine it would help you memorize lines while also helping you get the feeling of the lines. Maybe that's just another reason why Ryan is such a kick @$$ actor.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:29 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by YellowRose:
* Jen *: Have you seen Leland?
No, but if it comes anywhere in my area I'm definitely going.

I just love coming in here and staring at all the pictures. [img]smilies/drool.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2004, 08:01 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Rian:
Wow, that is just about the coolest thing I've ever heard. I also love the fact he really needs to touch everything to get into character. I've said it before, but seriously, he's amazing.