Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2017, 08:21 AM
Fan Forum Star

I think it is friendly enough
Old 02-11-2017, 10:15 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by April7739 (View Post)
Well, I know that I would post a lot more here if the posting atmosphere were less hostile.
Really? I don't think that, or maybe I post in threads that are not that hostile.

I'll do anything to keep the board alive.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:45 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm sorry I'm with April

It's not a very nice thing to be discussing of course, but I did post here some time ago and the atmosphere of the board put me off.
Also, the amount of minor spoilers I encountered at the time (and commented about that too) put me off. I prefer to stay completely spoiler free

Sorry

Last edited by girl under the floor; 02-11-2017 at 01:56 PM
Old 02-12-2017, 11:50 AM
Fan Forum Star

at this point I am posting everyday after work to keep it alive
Old 02-12-2017, 04:23 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalaBridget (View Post)
I think it is friendly enough
It's not.

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to sound like a bitch, but I feel like I need to be honest here: More people would post if the posting environment here were better. Including myself. So the solution to this low post count warning is not simply to be posting more, but to alter the atmosphere of the board so that more people want to post.
ICON
Old 02-13-2017, 10:21 AM
Fan Forum Star

each have his own. I think many online viewers are not interested in the show as well.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:30 AM
Dedicated Fan

For me personally, I feel like certain threads are more hostile than what they used to be, and I don't feel comfortable posting in ones that I used to anymore, as people with different opinions don't seem to be received very well. And also I agree with posterity that character loss and a decline in the writing has really impacted interest as well. So I think it goes both ways tbh
Old 02-14-2017, 05:43 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I also think it goes both ways, but I'm also feeling kinda annoyed/frustrated now.
More than one people are saying that the board itself is part of the problem. And it seems to not be taking seriously, just be brushed off

Why is that? Why is there an unwillingness to look into that?
If you truly feel the atmosphere is friendly enough, yet more than one person says it is not, don't you think you should pay attention to what is being said then?

I'm genuine in asking these questions
Old 02-14-2017, 06:58 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
It's not.

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to sound like a bitch, but I feel like I need to be honest here: More people would post if the posting environment here were better. Including myself. So the solution to this low post count warning is not simply to be posting more, but to alter the atmosphere of the board so that more people want to post.
What are you suggesting to make it better?
Old 02-14-2017, 11:57 AM
Fan Forum Star

Not everyone can agree with each other but respect is needed and that's how we can a talk going on .
Old 02-14-2017, 02:25 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian'sKimberDoll (View Post)
What are you suggesting to make it better?
Stopping talking about fans and not making them feel like they have to justify why they like a ship you don't agree with.

This is Raven Reyes, and I'm alive.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:21 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Perhaps there should be a rules reminder like it used to happen a few years ago.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:11 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl under the floor (View Post)
I also think it goes both ways, but I'm also feeling kinda annoyed/frustrated now.
More than one people are saying that the board itself is part of the problem. And it seems to not be taking seriously, just be brushed off

Why is that? Why is there an unwillingness to look into that?
If you truly feel the atmosphere is friendly enough, yet more than one person says it is not, don't you think you should pay attention to what is being said then?

I'm genuine in asking these questions
Yes. Exactly, Paula. I feel the same.

What do I suggest to make it better? Well . . .

It's not an easy fix. I would suggest that people take a step back and re-evaluate what they post and how they word things in those posts. I'm not saying we have to be walking around on egg-shells. But people do need to be aware of the problem and willing to fix it, if the board is indeed meant to keep going.

I think the first step is remembering that threads here are Appreciation threads, and if you don't have something appreciative to say, then just stay out of that thread. And don't lurk, because lurking will make you tempted to post.

The second step would be to demonstrate a willingness to change the way you might currently word things. None of us is perfect, but if we're all mature, then we should all be capable of expressing an opinion in a respectful way. And if it's criticism that we're trying to express, then let's do it in a constructive way. Basically this: Ask yourself before you post, "Is there any way someone could read this and be upset or offended by what I'm saying?" If the answer is yes, then re-word your post. It doesn't mean you have to censor yourself. It just means that you monitor yourself and post in a way that doesn't add to a hostile environment. And many times, people will be more receptive to your opinion, even if it differs from their own, if you express it in a non-combative way. Conversations and opinions that do err on the more offensive side are better kept to PM's, where not everyone can see them.

The third step would be moderation: It's going to happen that people slip up from time to time. Those slip-ups need to be taken seriously and dealt with appropriately. Little comments here and there that blatantly go against thread rules or obviously upset people should not be allowed to accumulate. And even posters who do not moderate this board should feel comfortable and even encouraged to let others know if they've posted something that doesn't gel with the positive environment we are (hopefully) trying to create here.

Not trying to sound like a know-it-all here, but you asked for my suggestion, so there it is. I'm not a mod, and I'm not perfect, either. But I do know that there's a lot of sense (including common sense) in what I'm saying.
ICON
Old 02-16-2017, 04:57 AM
Master Fan

Quote:

Not trying to sound like a know-it-all here, but you asked for my suggestion, so there it is. I'm not a mod, and I'm not perfect, either. But I do know that there's a lot of sense (including common sense) in what I'm saying.
No, it's okay. I think there are some good points. I just wasn't aware that so many fans on this board feel uncomfortable to post here.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:32 PM
Fan Forum Star

100% agree with everything being said. At this point Id rather see the board close then deal with some of the stuff thats been going on. The amount of times I've been to a moderator about issues is here is pretty high...

April and Paula are 100% correct and many people have had conversations about not posting here because its a very hostile environment. Just look at the episode discussion threads and the way people word things. Look at the merlex thread and how negative posters are in their own appreciation thread. I think people are pretending like these issues dont exist when they very clearly do. But if people arent willing to change their behaviors then I don't really know what can be done.