Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2015, 12:33 AM
Fan Forum Hero

The Bulletin Board (News & Media) #43: 10 years later and the show is still making the news.

Continue
Old 05-14-2015, 04:37 PM
Addicted Fan

Chandra Wilson & James Pickens Jr. on The View [May 14th, 2015]

Quote:
Question: On Grey's Anatomy, why does the show care so much about new interns—again? Time and time again, they bring on new intern classes and then the characters fail to make any lasting impression. If this is their idea of filling the void by Patrick Dempsey's departure, it sure didn't work last week. I feel like this show has enough characters on it already without needing to bring in more who aren't organically connected to the ones we already care about. Amelia and Maggie worked this year, because they are strongly connected to Meredith and the other doctors we already like. New interns, not so much. The show seems to be ending its season with a whimper, and I can't say I'll miss it much over the summer, which is not usually the case. — JL

Matt Roush: I'll once again reference my column suggesting it may be time for Grey's to throw in the scrubs, a feeling reinforced by the new class of interns popping up. (ABC is taking the opposite approach, of course, saying they'd like the show to go on for many more years, milking it way past its natural expiration date.) The "why" is easy enough to answer, because in a hospital like this, there will always be a new group of interns. Life goes on—but as I note in my column, does the show have to? The last batch of newbies was particularly weak, although Jo did eventually grow on me (and Alex), and even if there are a few potential breakouts in the latest gaggle, they can't help but stoke nostalgia for the characters we grew attached to more than a decade ago.
Ask Matt: The Future of Person of Interest and The Good Wife, Big Bang's Finale, Grey's Newbies, and More - TV Insider

Last edited by Rainha♕Primavera; 05-14-2015 at 04:50 PM
Old 05-14-2015, 05:05 PM
Fan Forum Star

Tftt
Old 05-16-2015, 08:00 AM
Addicted Fan

The Definitive Ranking Of “Grey’s Anatomy” Season Finale Episodes

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jemimaskelle...n3n#.nv1ZVzOXz
Old 05-17-2015, 11:53 AM
Addicted Fan

How 'Grey's Anatomy' saved one mom's life | gulflive.com
Old 05-17-2015, 06:13 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for the info.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:55 PM
Master Fan

Meredith Wasn’t Supposed To Be Paired With Derek, And 7 More Things You Never Knew About ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ | People's Choice

I know that these are certainly not news to us, but still, it's good to re-read them
Old 05-19-2015, 07:04 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Question: I just read your column suggesting it's time for Grey's Anatomy to call it a day. I finally found something I disagree with you on. For me, I still enjoy the show. It was never really about Meredith and Derek for me. I found myself not missing Cristina even. Characters have come and gone, and even without Derek, there are still four original cast members. Are you saying if Derek was not killed, then the show still would have life? — Rob

Matt Roush: I probably wouldn't have written that particular column had Derek not met such an untimely end, but I felt much the same way when Sandra Oh departed the show, that when this many key assets of an ensemble have departed for fresher pastures that it's time to begin thinking of an exit strategy—not that ABC, as I noted, is in any rush to close shop on such a still-popular property, so you have nothing to worry about in the near future. And I don't entirely disagree with you. Grey's is still often very watchable—much more than ER was at this stage of its run—although last week's attempt to force a happy ending on this season in the finale just seemed ridiculous. At the Upfronts last week, when it seemed almost everyone was pitching a new medical procedural, I found myself thinking none of them looked as good as Grey's, even now. But still, I'm an advocate of shows going out on a high, and I'm not sure Grey's has that ability now that it has taken everyone important away from Meredith. (And I will part company on you in my assertion that the character from whose point of view the majority of episodes is told is, in fact, the core of the show. And not missing Cristina? Seriously?) Read on for another point of view.

Question: Thank you for your "Should Grey's Anatomy end this season?" column. You touched on a lot of things that I have been struggling with for the last two or three years. When the show began, it was a my-generation connection for me. I related to the characters because I was around the same age and experienced similar relationship issues. Even though I don't always love the relationship between Meredith and Cristina, I was still fascinated by them and how "dark and twisty" they are. Meredith will always be one of the most conflicting characters on TV, but Derek's death fell short and was just there for shock value, so it didn't have as much impact for me as I thought it would. I have stopped watching the show live since the season premiere and have only viewed it in clips since, with the exception of the two episodes dealing with Derek's death. Now I don't recognize what I saw in it in the first place. There are too many characters I don't care about, and the writing is the level of a daytime soap. The writers seem to give up on characters when they no longer have ideas, or just recycle things they have done before with other couples. After Sandra Oh left, I tried to keep watching out of loyalty for Kevin McKidd, but the lazy pairing of Owen and the self-important Amelia (my least favorite Shondaland character from Private Practice days) was the nail in the coffin for me, especially with all the screaming and over-the-top acting.

Now with another Shondaland show beginning on ABC (The Catch at midseason), I am guessing Grey's Anatomy will be even less of a priority for Shonda Rhimes. It's sad to see a once favorite show of mine lose its voice and become a mere shadow of what it used to be. A few weeks ago, someone asked a question about the "owing" of writers to the fans of their shows they watch. This reminded me of an interview with Oprah where Shonda stated she is taking the show back from the fans. It makes me wonder how much we are truly appreciated by her, or if Grey's Anatomy fans have been written off just like her characters? I am guessing the latter. — M.S.

Matt Roush: Much as I agree with many of your points regarding the current content of the show and how few truly engaging characters are left, I feel it's overstating the case that Shonda Rhimes has written off the show's fan base or otherwise doesn't care. A show's creator has every right to produce the show as she or he sees fit, regardless of fans' expectations, and that's the point she was probably trying to make with Oprah. It's her show, not ours, and as I've stated before, nothing would interest me less than watching a show where pandering to the fan base was the key goal. I'm also not worried about her ability to juggle all the shows in her production stable, but I do wish someone would step back regarding the show that started it all and decide that going out with some dignity might be the best thing for everyone.
Ask Matt: Idol Thoughts, Orphan Black, Grey's Fatigue (or Not), Supergirl, iZombie's Look - TV Insider
Old 05-20-2015, 12:26 PM
Addicted Fan

Shonda Rhimes to Grey's haters: 'Do not waste your valuable time tweeting me' | EW.com
Old 05-20-2015, 04:28 PM
Fan Forum Star

She is right tweeting her is a waste of time she does what she wants.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:03 PM
Ultimate Fan

I hope she gives us something to love about season 12, though.

I am angry that she killed off McDreamy, but I still love Grey's Anatomy.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:43 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Question: While reading your critique of the season finale of Grey's Anatomy, I was struck by something. You say that Meredith's loss of her person, and then her spouse, culminating in a "happy" season ending, was ridiculous. I have to disagree. While there was some happiness at the end of the episode—Richard and Catherine's marriage—there was also an ending, in Meredith's decision to sell the house, which actually makes sense. If Mer does, in fact, buy her mother's old house back, it will be an interesting reboot of her life. However, while Cristina is gone, instead of having a person, Mer now has people. Becoming closer to her sister and sister-in-law, and dancing it out at the end of the episode, we see Meredith dealing with her losses with a team of people. What do you think? — Carrie

Matt Roush: Again, a fair point that in losing her husband and soulmate, Meredith may have gained a larger family in the hospital that now rallies to dance along with her (instead of in private with Cristina). Still feel the show is diminished by these recent losses, and none of the new "people" in her circle are as fascinating or as enjoyable company as what came before. I'm still not quite ready to break up with Grey's, but next season will surely be the decider, and I truly wish the network had the gumption to declare an end game for this once great show.
Ask Matt Scandal Finale, plus American Crime, Nashville, Grey's Anatomy, Battle Creek, and More - TV Insider
Old 05-28-2015, 06:50 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Still feel the show is diminished by these recent losses, and none of the new "people" in her circle are as fascinating or as enjoyable company as what came before.
This. And it's the reason I have no desire to continue watching. The magic is gone.

Adios, Grey's Anatomy. Lost my love for you the minute you did the irreparable. Right now, things I used to hate bring me more joy than Grey's, and that's telling. As Shonda said, there's no point in wasting time on something that's just going to make me miserable for as long as it's on the air. I'll be having a dance party when I read the headlines of its cancellation.

Last edited by darkxtwisty; 05-28-2015 at 06:55 AM
Old 05-28-2015, 06:53 AM
Addicted Fan