Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2016, 01:37 AM
Elite Fan

There is that.. maybe the final album will be all songs written by her or most songs. Who knows at this point..
Old 08-02-2016, 09:04 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah, it is still in early stage with the album. Hopefully we will get some songs written by her at least.

I was in my new house placing daydreams
-------Patching up the crack along the wall
→ Jessica | creative dream
Old 08-02-2016, 11:05 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Jess Thanks for bringing that news over.

Songs that Kelly writes or co-writes often end up being the best, so I'm glad to see that she's done some already. I know it's in the very early stages, but I'm very excited to see how this album turns out. It's going to be a long waiting game.

amelia | icon: mel
Old 08-03-2016, 02:13 AM
Elite Fan

I agree and they are more personal to her. Sure she can still sell a song and connect with a song but there is something special about the ones she writes herself.

The waiting game is awful..
Old 08-03-2016, 02:45 AM
Graphics Team Manager

I agree with you both

waiting is evil

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 08-03-2016, 12:38 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I will always remember the waiting period between Breakaway and My December. That was pure torture.

amelia | icon: mel
Old 08-05-2016, 09:40 AM
Fan Forum Star

The Diztortion is a producer/writer that is working on the album with Kelly for the next album. Here they are filming while KC and her background singers are in the studio.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:56 PM
Graphics Team Manager

thanks for posting that

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 10-14-2016, 05:11 PM
Elite Fan

I feel that Kelly is focusing on her book and the album has been pushed to the side for now ..
Old 10-15-2016, 12:41 AM
Graphics Team Manager

Probably but she might be doing both or go back to the album again soon. I don't know how much promotion for the book she's going to do

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 10-15-2016, 01:28 AM
Fan Forum Star

She has been talking about the album during her promo tour for her book...

New album talk is at around 3:30 and they're aiming for an April single release next year.

Quote:
Kelly Clarkson on Her Soul Album: 'I've Wanted to Make This Record Since I Was in Junior High'

Since Kelly Clarkson announced her forthcoming soul album with her new label, Atlantic (the singer left RCA, where she’d been contracted since her 2002 American Idol win, last year after releasing Piece by Piece), we’ve been drinking up the gorgeous Rihanna and Radiohead covers she’s released.

Fortunately, EW got a chance to chat with Clarkson about the new record, due in 2017, and the unlikely places she’s found inspiration — like Liane Moriarty’s novel, Big Little Lies. “I actually wrote a song that might go on this next record about one of the characters, Celeste,” Clarkson says. “I know this is going to sound horrible, but I’ve just never understood domestic violence. And Liane did such a great job at depicting the emotional state, what exactly is going through peoples’ heads, why they make the decisions they do, what traps them, what they’re holding on to. So I wrote the song from the character’s perspective. I have more empathy for that situation [now].”

Read on to see what else Clarkson has to say about working on the new record.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Why was soul the style you wanted to do with your first big post-RCA album?
KELLY CLARKSON: Well, I’ve actually always wanted to make this album and I just haven’t been able to. While it is still pop, it’s way more soulful. Even the producers that have worked with with me before, Greg Kurstin and Jesse Shatkin, [are amazed]. I literally just got a long email from Jesse going, “Oh my gosh! Why have you not made this record yet?” Because the sound is so innate in me. It’s just so natural. It’s like, “God! You should have been making records like this the whole time.” And I love making all different kinds of records, so it’s not like I’m mad about it or anything. I’ve just wanted to make this particular record since I was in junior high.

Is that why you signed with Atlantic?

Yeah! They just had this stellar, soulful, more urban vibe, and that’s really what I was looking for. And they’re down with me making a country record one day. Because basically country and R&B are cousins. [Atlantic] is just really into me being an artist and doing different things. We don’t need to hear “Stronger” again, or “Since You’ve Been Gone.” It’s time for something else. We’re about to go to L.A. to do a big recording-writing session. It’s so much fun, because it’s like I’m a brand new artist again.

And you’re going back to your roots a little.

Exactly! Almost like what everyone heard me sing on Idol. That’s what’s so funny. Whenever I was talking to Atlantic, we were talking about maybe working together, I was like, “Look, this isn’t different. This is what people voted for.” And Craig Kallman at Atlantic is dying to make this record with me. We were both definitely on the same page. That’s where he wanted me to go anyway. He just loves soulful stuff. So it just happened to work out. It was a universe thing. Everybody kind of had the same vision. I just feel like this is the record that I’ve been really wanting to make for so long now. My mom is so happy! My mom is like, “I like your music, but I love this!”

What’s been the best day in the studio so far?

Girlfriend, coming back from being pregnant (Clarkson’s son, Remington Alexander, arrived in April) is a weird thing for your diaphragm — even how you breathe normally. Apply that to singing, which you need a ton of breath for. It’s just a different thing to build back up. Two weeks ago, I was doing lead vocal on this song that I am just in love with in this studio in my house, and the producer was here, and I flipped out. It’s funny because it’s on camera. We’re filming all of it. It’s the day my voice came full-on back, like exactly what I wanted. I sounded amazing. I was so excited. My producer was laughing so hard because I was freaking out.

Kelly Clarkson talks upcoming soul album, how Big Little Lies inspired a song | EW.com

Quote:
Kelly Clarkson Says Her Next Album Will Not Be 'Stronger 2.0': 'I Get to Really Sing on It'

Kelly Clarkson Says Next Soul Album Not 'Stronger 2.0,' Really Sing on It

As Randy Jackson would say, Kelly Clarkson can sing the phone book — and she’ll be flaunting that impressive range on her next album.

And while the Grammy-winning pop star has plans to do a country album, her next record likely won’t be a twangy one.

“It’s definitely not like the pop-rock anthems people are used to, but they’re different kind of anthems. They’re still [about] empowerment and big, huge songs, but they’re delivered in a different way,” the singer told PEOPLE last week at a Good Housekeeping luncheon celebrating her new children’s book River Rose and the Magical Lullaby. “It’s just more soulful — like R&B-soul-urban-pop. It encompasses a lot. I just get to really sing on it.”

The American Idol‘s shift in genre comes after her June announcement that she had left her record label of 14 years, RCA, and signed a deal with the urban-leaning label Atlantic.

Clarkson, 34, adds the new label and new tunes — expected next year — will suit her voice and style more.

“It’s a better suit for my personality,” says the singer, who is already working on the new LP, which will be her eighth following 2015’s Piece by Piece. “It’s a record I’ve been dying to make since I was a kid. Now’s the time.”

The star says she has been teaming up with former collaborators, including hitmaker Greg Kurstin — who wrote and produced hits off her Stronger and Piece by Piece albums — and Jesse Shatkin, who helped helm her 2013 holiday album Wrapped in Red. But she’s also working with new collaborators as well.

“I’ve never made a record like this. Because we’re changing gears, we’ve been talking to a lot of writers. I just came from L.A. and met a ton of writers to be like, ‘Hey, just in case you want to know where we’re going with this album — do not send, like, ‘Stronger 2.0,’ you know?” says Clarkson. “We played them stuff and talked about where the album’s going. It’s a new, fresh thing for me.”

As for what the new album will sound like? Check out Clarkson’s live cover of Etta James’ “I’d Rather Go Blind,” available for free on her new site kellyclarksonlive.com.

Old 10-15-2016, 01:55 AM
Graphics Team Manager

Thanks for all of that I'm a little surprised she's talking abut the album still while promoting the book but glad she is. I really haven't been paying attention to the book promotion though when I probably should I love how happy & excited she sounds about this album. It is wonderful. Also interesting that she's still planning that country album in the future

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 10-15-2016, 08:26 PM
Elite Fan

That shows what I know then . Thank you for posting that Jessica .

I like the sound of an April release for the single. If that does end up happening then possibly around October for the album then?

I cannot complain about where it sounds like this album is going or the idea of a country album but they are both heading more towards what I love about Kelly instead of the more generic pop direction. I would much prefer to hear her sing and show emotion on it than just another pop song. A country album may alienate some of her fans though so it will be interesting to see how that goes if she does release one.

It is wonderful to read how happy and excited she is about this album. She seems more excited about this one to me than what I have seen about previous albums?
Old 10-16-2016, 12:24 AM
Graphics Team Manager

October sounds likely to me

I'd agree that she sounds more excited this time she's finally releasing the album that she's always wanted to release so can't blame her there

Quote:
A country album may alienate some of her fans though so it will be interesting to see how that goes if she does release one.
It will some may not buy it just because of the genre, others only buy it because its Kelly. I think it'll be for some what All I Ever Wanted is to you - they'll listen but not love. There may be some stand out tracks but they'd like her to go back to what they love her for & not create another one. I think she's best when she's floating between & doing a bit of everything. I care more for the emotion & her vocals than genre

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 10-17-2016, 01:04 AM
Elite Fan

That is true; I cannot blame her for her happiness either. I am glad that she is so excited about it.

Quote:
I think it'll be for some what All I Ever Wanted is to you - they'll listen but not love.
This here is a good example. When she leans too far one way she risks alienating some fans who prefer her other stuff and are not fond of that genre. It is best when she has a mix of everything but I also feel that even if she does do a country album it will still have the Kelly-feel to it.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread