Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 09:52 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

I guess that's one of those old stand by things to do in fiction, have the arrogant person suffer a fall, whether it's by their own doing, or in this case, not.

I got done with my re-watch of the Showdown episode a few weeks back, but never got around to posting on them. I can't remember too much now, but a few things that stuck around in the memory bank:

Dave and Adam were one of my favorite relationships of last season. I don't think we got anything with them this summer until this last week. That's a shame.

Speaking of Dave, this summer produced a bunch of oddball character interaction combinations and one of the strangest was having Imogen be an awkward third party to Dave and Alli's bickering before their break-up.

Oh yeah, that break-up, the way it was written, still doesn't make much sense.

On a positive note, that little Katie/Clare friendship really elevated the finale. That along, with the character in my avatar.

Ranking the showdown episodes from worst to best:

Sabotage- The term "bad fan fiction" is used too much to describe an episode that isn't very good. Here it fits.

Come as You Are- So much of this was a setup for what happened later that it's a little hard for it to stand on its own.

Scream- Would have rated higher if they had stopped things after that scene in which Katie/Clare's conversation outside the elevator.

Closer to Free- Okay we got a some good Jenna/Mama Bhandari moments, can we now get some Jenna/Papa Bhandari moments?

Walking on Broken Glass- If this was based just off part one it would have been placed much higher on the list. If this was based just off part two it would have placed much lower on the list.

Waterfalls- Still have some issues with the characterization of Asher, but there's enough strong moments to overcome that.

Say it Ain't So- Dave and Alli just never caught a break, did they?

Never Ever- Everything about the Imogen plot is really good- except for that one horribly graphic moment. I'll never understand the creative decision behind that one.

Got Your Money- Such a great old school (as in DJH) vibe with this episode. More episodes like this, please.

Rusty Cage- It's a testament to how strong the Cam and KC (miss you!) plots are that this still tops my list despite the Dumb & Dumber plot featuring Drew and Fiona.

And now on to 12b.......in just a little over a week.......

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:13 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Other than the episode thread, I guess this is just as good a place to put this as any.....Eli's video yearbook:

Old 04-14-2013, 04:03 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Now we've just got to wait for the season finale in June. Thoughts on the season so far? I'm going to go make a post on teen suicide in the issues thread if anyone wants to talk in there about Cam's suicide and the aftermath. I personally thought it was a wise choice to address the many reactions his peers would have to the situation.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:56 PM
Extreme Fan

I agree, I think that this has been a very solid season overall. There haven't been any slumps which have been drawn out for 3 or more episodes, like how I felt about last season. I think the greatest part about this season has been all the new and random friendships- Dave/Niners, Whisper Hug, Eli/Dave, Jatie/Eclare..., it made you feel like Degrassi was a real school again. And more plots connected with each other, which makes the show fit better in marathons. I hope they keep going in this direction!
Old 04-15-2013, 09:59 PM
Addicted Fan

This season was so much better than 11 and that's because they focused on the issues more than the romance and I hope they continue this with season 13 because this season was a good as the boiling point era.

A majority of the couples had really good chemistry. Last year most of them were dull like Drew/Katie, Sav/Ms. Oh, Fiona/Charlie etc. This year even if I didn't ship a couple I wasn't bored watching them play out. I loved seeing Eli/Clare and Drew/Bianca in happy mode for a good chunk of the season.

I loved that they finally covered suicide. Everyone involved did an amazing job with it. All the other issues were handled well too.

The only negative things I can think of are lack of Owen & Tori, and I found Becky's characterization to be kind of rushed. I guess with both Adam and Becky being upperclassmen it had to happen this quick though. Oh and leading us to think Alli was leaving only for them to rush K.C. off the show.
ihavealife2uknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:27 AM
Extreme Fan

I agree, the chemistry was way better this season. Also, last year, if I didn't like a character, their plots would drag on and on forever, but at least now I can't say that I completely hated a character the second they showed up on screen. I thought I would hate Eli's plot in Ray of Light, but I was pleasantly surprised at liking Part 1.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:24 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

1222-1227 expire on demand on 7/21. I know I haven't seen I Want It That Way, Tonight, Tonight, or Degrassi Goes To Another Foreign Location. I should watch these. At least Alli's episode since I always like her plots. I could have the Adam episode on in the backround. I don't know if Katie's plot is enough to get me through the Vegas stuff.

Looking at the episode listing for the entire season and it is actually hard to remember what happened in many of these episodes. And really all it makes me want to do is watch some season 1-4 episodes. I could recite some of the dialogue in those eps. (I'm being a sour puss Degrassi fan today.)
Old 07-21-2013, 01:01 PM
Extreme Fan

Best season since season seven.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:10 PM
Part-Time Fan

Showdown was great. BSS was a heartbreaker, but the rest is kind of a blur. I think there are some episodes I haven't even seen yet.
obinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:21 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

What episode are you wanting to win the survivor? Is Bittersweet Symphony too easy of a win since there was a death? I think I might be rooting for Rusty Cage, Got Your Money, or Zombie. This is going to be hard!
Old 07-26-2013, 03:23 PM
Addicted Fan

Either Bittersweet Symphony, Rusty Cage or Never Ever. I think those 3 were the strongest of the season.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:41 PM
Fan Forum Hero

good season, not so relationship heavy. I didn't really ship too much this season though.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:26 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

I wonder if Imogen checked with Fiona and Eli the night before to see what they were wearing to school the next day. And somehow tried to match. Because they kinda go together here. Which is why I had that thought.

Anyway thoughts on the trio? I feel neutral towards them now. They kinda go together.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:03 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

My initial thought is that they would be an exhausting group to be around.

Old 01-01-2017, 11:36 AM
Addicted Fan

They weren't my all time favorite trio or anything but they worked for the most part.
Reply   Post New Thread