Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2011, 05:51 AM
Total Fan

I'd really like to see a character with more than one sibling. Everyone seems to be an only child or have just one brother or sister. That's not normal IMO.

I've just been reading through this thread and have been thinking about a realistic suicide storyline. I think I'd like to see a main/loved character commit suicide but there be no or little lead up to it. That way it will be a real surprise and then after the fact we learn all of the details. This character will obviously have gone through some deep, dark personal issues that they did not and never wanted to or felt as though they could share. Everything would seem okay on the outside. Perhaps this would be realistic?

{visit the '90s}

{please campaign & vote} mila kunis
varjak-golightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 03:59 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Just going to jump back to the family discussion for a moment. But feel free to discuss any issues you want at any time. I'm thinking that I'll start to brainstorm some questions for the next discussion topic and might be...sexuality.

What are your favorite families and why?

Craig and Albert Manning/Craig and Joey Jeremiah - I gush about these 2 very different household dynamics too much. I'll explain more about why I like the Mannings later. Craig had such a terrific introduction to the series. It typically would take some fancy footwork to write in a character with a connection to someone from the original series and I never once doubted that Craig was Joey's stepson for a second. What I like the most about C. & J. is that while Craig fantasized about being a member of the Jeremiah family to escape the reality of his current situation and Joey saved him by allowing him to live with him, they have a rather rocky relationship. It's probably just me but I see a lot of subtleties on screen that lead me to wondering about how it feels to suddenly parent a troubled teenager and be accepted as a father and not just be seen as this friend-dad. There's a lot more they could have done with these two but hey, that's where I go to write my fan fic. And I'm perfectly content with that.

What about siblings? Who are your faves? Who do you feel is the most realistic? It looks like we’ve also got a pair of sisters about to be introduced – excited?
You are expecting me to say Craig and Angela. But I can’t say I’m especially a fan. They lack a sibling rivalry that I think would exist or develop with their family situation. I should say that I like that Craig is protective over his little sister but most of the time it confuses me or feels too simple; he should love his half-sister he was estranged from and he does therefor yay. I am quite interested in their history and like developing them in fan fiction however.

Sav and Alli are the most realistic and my favorite. They’ve had a lot of ups and downs, supporting each other, fighting with each other, dodging each other because they don’t want the other to know what they are up to. I like the fluctuation in their dynamic. And I think that at times I have felt worries that the Bhandari family might fall apart. I don’t ever expect it to – Degrassi? You don’t expect the unexpected – but I have felt that urgency with them. They are a family in trouble at times but so…normal. And I've never doubted that they love each other.

Sisters - I want their relationship to be a bit of a difficult one. Like the ones I hear about. I don't have sisters...but I can see how things could become a competition, especially if they are close in age. Would love some sincere bonding moments but I also want things to be more complicated.

What families remind you most of your own and why?
Craig and Albert Manning. But the thing is that I don’t view this as a bad thing. It’s complicated, my relationship with my dad and Craig’s with his. I was never physically abused but there were a lot of…unhealthy moments. I feel strange even calling it that. Things are different when you aren’t in that household anymore. I still do a lot of wondering and have weird habits that stem from my upbringing. At the same time I feel like I understand and relate to my dad the most. Which scares the crap out of me, mostly because I think we share the same demons. We have always had a strange strong bond when things were going well. I wish that Craig had talked about his father more as the series progressed. I put off replying to this topic because it’s so complicated and I don’t think I’ll ever be able to describe it. I don’t need any sympathy for it, however. I have many awesome memories of my dad and he will always be there for me. But there’s a lot of things that haven’t been addressed, things I don’t even know how I feel about…it feels like it’s my time to initiate a change to get where I need to be.

Which characters (from any moment during the series) deserved to have their homelife explored more? What would be your ideal storyline/situation for this character?
I really liked the introduction to Alex in Don’t You Want Me. The whole mother choosing her man other her child. But like a lot of other plots this started out promising but then was dropped for a quick relationship wrap up. I’d really like to see a storyline like this again. Much different though. Preferably a situation where mom chooses her boyfriend over her daughter because of sexual abuse allegations. I can’t say I’ve witnessed the total meltdown and know details, but I know families it has happened to. It seems like a crazy thing to think of but I don’t think it’s that uncommon…it doesn’t even have to be that situation. I’d like to see Degrassi go there with a dark issue, especially with sexual abuse that is actively happening. No more flashbacks.

Jenna - There's some kinks to be worked out here but I've always been interested. I think there's a good foundation that was built to explain how she handles her romantic relationships. I ask myself a lot of questions about her home life but it's more of a curious thing. I can even kind of feel that creative, wondering feeling and think about what I'd do with her. I hope she isn't too boxed in and the writers feel they can't elaborate further.

KC - Maybe his family would be more of a favorite. I really liked what we saw when he and his mother reconciled and their interaction during the teen pregnancy/parenthood plots. I miss this family. It seems people aren't too into KC angst because of how he reacts but I'd be down for a family crisis with his mama.

Connor – Why does he still live with the Simpson/Nelsons anyway???
Old 11-27-2011, 04:29 PM
Master Fan

^ I definitely agree about KC. But I'm also a bit disappointed with how his storyline had played out. I had been waiting for a good foster care/group home storyline and when they finally present one they do absolutely nothing with it. I do think his family storylines still have potential. I love Lisa Guthrie but I think that this storyline should focus on KC and his father because it always comes down to his dad even back in season 9. From what KC has said about his dad he wasn't just abandoned, pretty sure he was abused. Lisa may have locked him in a closet but whatever his father did was worse. The damage he did remains KC's biggest issue and I don't think he's going to move forward in any real way until he confronts whatever happened.

I would love to see the loss of Tyson prompt KC to reach out to his father in some way. This is the first time since he came on this show that KC's been single which makes it the perfect time to do a little soul searching.

On the completely opposite end of the this I would love to see more Jake/Glen scenes. I love what we've seen of their relationship. There's a solid base for some kind of storyline.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:16 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Yeah, I wish they had done more with the group home. I'm not sure exactly what issue they could have done with it. RenegadePress.com had an episode where a boy felt that excessive force was used by staff against one of his peers who also lived there. I even would have just liked to see more of what KC's day to day life is like, maybe meet some of the kids he lives with.

Maybe it would be possible to introduce a character and his parents but have the intention be that he is removed from the household and follow his journey. Or tackle the issue of homelessness after he is kicked out. I know we had Manny but that just felt like it was more convenient to have her at Emma's house for all their scenes. And then there was Tim who was kicked out for being gay...really interesting situation that was just a part of Marco's plot. Man do I wish that was how Riley's story progressed. His family situation was something I had looked forward to for years and enjoyed speculating on. It still seems like the writers were afraid to really go there.

Remember the My So-Called Life episode "So-Called Angels" where Ricky is kicked out of his aunt and uncles? That was a great episode. Degrassi should break it out for the holidays and some inspiration. It also created an interesting scenario where he moved in with a teacher. The show got cut too short to be followed up on. Pick up where MSCL left off, Degrassi. I think there's a lot of things that could be done with that.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:58 AM
Master Fan

Yeah it don't think they had to have a real "issue" with the group home life. Just living like that is an issue in and of itself. There's a lot of stuff that goes with it... but it's too late for that.

I really like both the kicked out idea and the removed from the home idea. It's a good time too because lately they have been trying to show more of the character's home lives. Although we did have a fear of removal with Tyson this year.

This is totally another topic but I was thinking about all the suggestions people tweeted Stephen. And I've always wanted a stalking storyline. I know a lot of other people did too. When I was in high school there was a girl who went to my school who had some kind of stalker. I don't know all the details but it got the point where the police had to be called. And then I realized that they covered stalking this year with Imogen and Eli. I think that's something that has really bothered me about them all season because instead of showing stalking for what it is, like the Degrassi I used to love would have done, they practically played it for laughs. I mean here they have a situation where one character has clearly invaded another's privacy and has a full blown obsession with the object of her affection and yet instead of showing this to be a dangerous situation she's just another viable love interest. I just feel like that's another irresponsible message to send. It's probably why I am so against them as a couple.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:38 PM
Addicted Fan

I'm not sure if this is the place for it, but one of the issues that I would like Degrassi to cover is teen marriage. The only tv shows that I've seen that covered this were One Tree Hill (Nathan/Haley), Popular (Josh/Lily) and The Secret Life of the American Teenager (Ben/Adrian). Nathan and Haley, even though they are my favorite couple, had a very unrealistic storyline, in my opinion. Popular was cancelled before they could really explore Josh and Lily's marriage. And Ben and Adrian got married because she was pregnant and are now divorced.

What I would like to see is a couple to either get married and fail miserably at staying together or to get married and overcome the odds. Both storylines should last longer than a two-part episode. It's important that the reason why a couple decides to divorce has nothing to do with another romantic interest. Everyone other couple on the show is involved in a love triangle at some point, so I think it would take from the storyline itself to have someone come between their marriage.

I have absolutely no idea who could get the teen marriage storyline. I'd say Wesley and Hannah, but I'm not sure if Spencer Van Wyck is coming back. Maybe Zig and Maya in a couple of seasons, but we don't know what kind of people they will be like by then. If it weren't for Dave and Alli's issues in communication, I would say that they should get the storyline. I just think it could be something different than we've ever seen on Degrassi.
ChinaTequilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:22 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Internet hate/bullying. Have you guys been satisfied with Degrassi's portrayal of it? Recently Amanda Palmer got a discussion going - on internet hatred: please inquire within. - Amanda Palmer. Tons of different perspectives responded. It's crazy to think about how much has changed since Time Stands Still. Maybe we need an updated storyline. I know we had Alli vs. Holly J on Facerange. And that was a good character study on how teens don't acknowledge the consequences. But maybe Degrassi needs to encourage discussion on the issue again?
Old 01-12-2013, 04:33 PM
Addicted Fan

I'd honestly love if they gave Tori or Tristan a plot where they harass a celebrity on twitter or facerange or whatever. Like a different spin on the Stephanie Kaye situation on DJH/DH with celebrity worship. They like the celebrity so much that they'll harass their bf/gf. Maybe I just spend too much time scrolling through tumblr and see the hate most girls in the cast get and the ridiculous stuff some people send the cast. Or if not that then a plot where they're obsessed with a celeb but get really vicious with a fan online.

I do think they could redo that internet bullying storyline. They did a good job with the Alli/Holly J plot but it's something that so much of a problem these days that it's worth repeating.
ihavealife2uknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:01 PM
Addicted Fan

At the risk of sounding super morbid, if Degrassi wanted to "go there," they could do an internet bullying story that ends in suicide. They haven't done suicide and they should definitely revisit cyberbullying, so this would be realistic. It doesn't necessarily have to be a main character, although that would certainly add to the impact. (OMG, I just had a horrible thought -- what if it was Cam?! Conceivably they've already laid the groundwork for him... crap, I just got chills. )

I do think we're about due for another series-changing episode like TSS. Degrassi's subsequent attempts have all fallen flat IMO.
mellifluouscloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:04 PM
Addicted Fan

WHY DID I POST THAT??? I take it back!!!!!!
mellifluouscloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:24 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Now we can address the subject of teen suicide since Degrassi has decided to bravely tackle it. Were you impressed by it? What would you have done differently?

I think my favorite part was that we do not have a clear understanding of why Cam committed suicide. It is all left up to the characters to struggle with. I think that focusing on the aftermath was a wise choice. At the same time it is my least favorite aspect because of how the fandom reacted. They searched for another character to blame. Our previous discussion of wanting an episode to address teen suicide is kind of haunting. And it has left me wondering if the fandom (generally speaking, not about ) blaming Zig for his final hurtful last words to Cam is because the media focuses heavily on the topic of suicides that result because of bullying. This caused some fans to break out the pitchforks because those real life situations, which happen because of many factors I'm sure, want to prevent that. But it was a little frightening because if Zig had been a real person and seeing what was said online...that is bullying and the same thing we are all fighting against.

One of my other thoughts is that I would have liked to see a character other than Eli discover Cam's body (although I do like the idea that the character would use drugs to escape). I posted this in Jake's thread:

I've had this big fat plot bunny jumping around in my head since Ray of Light that I would have had Jake discover Cam in the greenhouse. That place meant so much to him. He built that thing when he wasn’t sure what would happen in the future with dad, work, and school. I think it was where he felt safe. And I can see how he would feel that was taken away and tainted. I would have liked to see more than just him wondering while high if it was haunted. It would have been so interesting to see the happy pothead have a dramatic shift in personality and be angry and use harder drugs.

I also like the idea of Becky discovering Cam and her storyline focuses on doubting God and questioning all her beliefs, as well as seeing how her family reacts towards that.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:32 PM
Addicted Fan

I really enjoyed it and I thought they did a great job showing how everyone is effected afterwards. It was one of the most well done storylines they've done with this group of kids.

I thought that Eli finding Cam was an interesting choice because I liked how it paralleled Eli's past and sort of brought him full circle in his last big plot line on the show. Jake would have been a good option too.
ihavealife2uknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:53 PM
Extreme Fan

I think aside from Eli finding the body, they did a really good job with Cam's storyline. I wasn't expecting to be this drawn into Degrassi again. I liked the variety of reactions we've experienced through the characters. It's reminiscent of the post-Time Stands Still episodes in season 4. I think they handled this way better than they wrote JT's death. I wonder why TeenNick didn't have a special like Much Music did, though.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:39 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

After posting in the Cam/Maya thread I got to wondering...

What unhappy ending have you been strangely satisfied with?

I figure this question could easily fit in here since it usually ties in with a Degrassi issue. The first thing that comes to my mind is Rick in season 4. I could kiss TPTB's feet for bringing him back after the flop (or uh, bounce) that was the dating abuse storyline in season 3. I'm still in awe of the bullying that lead to the shooting storyline. It fit so flawlessly and brought Rick introspection from the viewers. Call me sick and weird but I feel like it gave the character redemption even though he did the unthinkable or unforgivable. Don't get me wrong...Rick didn't go out a hero. But you really got the sense of a guy with no way out. And I love how plenty of the main characters were the ones who pushed him over the edge or did nothing. TPTB even managed to make Dan Woods aka Mr. Raditch wanting to exit the series fit in so we wouldn't even question it. That whole storyline arc was so thoughtful!
Old 05-13-2013, 02:57 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleidocat (View Post)
After posting in the Cam/Maya thread I got to wondering...

I figure this question could easily fit in here since it usually ties in with a Degrassi issue. The first thing that comes to my mind is Rick in season 4. I could kiss TPTB's feet for bringing him back after the flop (or uh, bounce) that was the dating abuse storyline in season 3. I'm still in awe of the bullying that lead to the shooting storyline. It fit so flawlessly and brought Rick introspection from the viewers. Call me sick and weird but I feel like it gave the character redemption even though he did the unthinkable or unforgivable. Don't get me wrong...Rick didn't go out a hero. But you really got the sense of a guy with no way out. And I love how plenty of the main characters were the ones who pushed him over the edge or did nothing. TPTB even managed to make Dan Woods aka Mr. Raditch wanting to exit the series fit in so we wouldn't even question it. That whole storyline arc was so thoughtful!
Yeah, it's weird how Rick could've been another random reoccurring character from season 3, like Kendra, Chris, or Towerz, yet he came back for one of the strongest storylines. I just remember cringing throughout his entire storyline, from Mercy Street until Sean finally pulled the trigger. I guess it makes Terri's storyline worth watching.

As for me...

I guess I was satisfied with Cam's suicide. In an in-show perspective, obviously, it was a very tragic event and situation, but I like how it did a lot of things that the show hasn't really done in a long time. It "went there"- no walls were stabbed or cars were crashed. There was a Greek Chorus of opinions in that one scene where Becky thought suicide was selfish, Connor didn't get why they cancelled it, and so on. It got the fans talking. It didn't create that much hype from the media and there were some lackluster plots afterwards, but Bittersweet Symphony was executed (no pun intended) pretty well.
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top