Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2013, 06:26 PM
Addicted Fan

Magnificent Bastard {Eli|Munro} #10: Because he's a freakin' superhero!

No matter how much all of you want a happy ending, you can't have it. I tried to
write one, but... but it's impossible. It's not real. I re-wrote and re-wrote but things kept
changing and I hurt people and I knew they were hurting but I didn't stop—because
your mind tricks you—it tricks you—into thinking things are fine. They’re not fine.
Nothing is fine. It's all wrong! I'm all wrong. That's it. There's no happy ending.

01. Nekoshoujo
02. RickyandChucklover1
03. SupernaturalLuv
04. Mari_gee08
05. nanatsuiro-rainbow
06. All_Star07
07. Janah
08. Oh-Canada
09. Tobiko
10. DassiexBamon
11. Aubsbobs
12. Lala land Girl
13. Angelomi
14. hannahe5
15. eclarelove
16. aikayou
17. mikan-chin
18. stfu_itstess
19. Coelina
20. KayleeSmileyfaces
21. hannahe5
22. ACharmingGirl
23. .*.~.Laura.~.*.
24. Darkchanter
25. (*Rawrr*)
26. vicious_boy
27. hollyhysteria
28. AllyPorter
29. retrosmetro
30. <3~ana_banana0217~<3
31. BeasleyCrazy
32. AubreyMarie
33. HelloOlivia
34. LidelKewte
35. NoSeriously
36. BlackHalo
37. Emanified
38. necklace
39. Penny Avenue
40. Clandestine11
41. deeniemaus
42. IxLovexEli
43. Magykal23
44. lovejonathanjackson
45. spasticsunshine
46. murphyboy11
47. Helllo892
48. Eclare4life
49. Lady Azura
50. helloeinstein
51. Liekomgz
52. glowvomit
53. girlwithkaleidoscope_eyes
54. gibsonrockstar
55. l0velie
56. xNUABO
57. X3LiSA
58. TheWhiteCrayon
59. spacekiddet32
60. ForeverDegrassiFan
61. mara_loves_cappie
62. sellie_girl
63. shannonrw
64. EliGoldsLover(:
65. Unicornline
66. FlybyNooN
67. Kwinks
68. worththeriskx
69. loganandroryforever
70. Holland Fan Forever
71. mellifluouscloud
72. socialfirefighter

01. Because his trademark smirk says it all.
02. Because he's one of the most complex characters ever to be on the show.
03. Because we're so proud of how far he's come.
04. Because he lives to protect his friends.
05. Because he's an anti-hero we can root for!
06. Because he has perfected the art of eyebrow raising.
07. Because he drives a vintage hearse... named Morty.
08. Because he'd do anything for Dead Hand tickets.
09. Because he knows how to fix a car... and look good doin' it!
10. Because you don't want to mess with him.
11. Because he's an evil genius.
12. Because sometimes he scares us... in a good way!
13. Because he has some of the best lines on the show.
14. Because he won't back down (even when he probably should)
15. Because no matter what he'll be there when you need him.
16. Because he passed his french exam - before even taking it!
17. Because he is a frequent user of the Batman Gambit.
18. Because we're impressed with how well he can take a punch.
19. Because even Fitz is impressed.
20. Because his rivalry with Fitz was the best one on the show yet.
21. Because he can block a punch.
22. Because he makes us want to learn French.
23. Because he's not dating Ms. Dawes and he still got an A
24. Because he wants to get better for himself, not for anyone else.
25. Because no one could come up with crazy plans like he can!
26. Because he stands up for people when no one else will.
27. Because he's willing to admit when he's hurt people and apologize for it.
28. Because he was determined to get better, and he did.
29. Because he values his progress.
30. Because he knows there won't always be twinkly lights.
31. Because scheming!Eli is way better than crazy!Eli.
32. Because he's our magnificent bastard.
33. Because he's a freakin' superhero!

01. Because he's so, so, SO excited for season 10!
02. Because he's adorable!
03. Because he's an amazingly talented actor!
04. Because everyone wanted Munro to get twitter!
05. Because his acting in All Falls Down was the episode's highlight.
06. Because he brings Eli to life in a way no other actor could.
07. Because his twitter typos make us laugh.
08. Because he's got swag~

"Scream. At the top of your lungs."
"Missed you last night, was Twilight on TV?"
"Yeah, but today instead of Ocean Spray I used Day Old Trout."
"I have the bladder of a camel."
"Tell me, what were you thinking when you got that haircut.
No, seriously, was there a Planet of the Apes audition I didn't hear about?"

"Ah, grasshopper. There are ways to expedite the process."
"When the police check Fitz's fake ID and mistake him for an escaped arsonist, hilarity ensues."
(about Fitz) "I'm in his head. Right where I wanna be."
"And somebody put the name of a convicted arsonist on Fitz's fake ID. OOPS!"
"You raised a weird kid, so I'm gonna deal in weird ways!"
"The only way to avoid a bully is to keep him scared."
"You keep your friends close and your enemies closer."
"Everyone loves a villain, Jake. Embrace it."
"I'm a writer, dad. It's the only thing that matters to me right now."
"A few medications. I'm not a lab rat! Last couple of days have been a living hell,
you want me to do that over and over again till some quack gets it right?!"

"You can't write your life."
"Don't blame yourself, I wouldn't let you help me."
"I'm not going anywhere."
"There won't always be Twinkly lights."
"Wow. You must really think I'm crazy. Not that I blame you, my actions over the past
few weeks have crossed the line. Which is why I owe tons of apologies."

"Welcome to Degrassi."

Blackbird - The Beatles
Hotblack - Oceanship
The Bird and the Worm - The Used
My Side Of The Story - David Hodges
Everybody Loves Me - One Republic
Big Bird in a Small Cage - Patrick Watson
Therapy - All Time Low
Million Dollar Man - Lana Del Rey

Coming soon!

01. (no title)
02. Because how many guys make eyeliner look this good?
03. Because we all want to know what's in Eli's dark past...
04. Because he's a ninja!
05. Because Eli needs a shirtless scene!
06. Because every day should be Munro Chambers day!
07. Because no one makes bad look so good.
08. Because Munro got a call from Michelangelo himself!
09. Fake ID's, Ipecac, Combat Shotguns: this kid is getting ready for the zombie apocalypse!

Something disturbing happened at school, and it affected me.
Well, actually, most things do. I'm bipolar. You know,
I put my feelings in my art, and that's why doing what I do...
can be scary. Because it comes from someplace real.
And now you must think I'm a mess.

Banner: mellifluouscloud
Gifs: y0ungveins, blueexgiraffe

Last edited by kaleidocat; 07-26-2015 at 11:46 AM
mellifluouscloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:47 PM
Extreme Fan

Ah! TFTNT! It looks great, I love it!
necklace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:00 PM
Addicted Fan

Now we have to work on testimonials.

Bringing this over from the previous thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by necklace (View Post)
Well, I hope you share your thoughts with us here. I'd like to know how your perspective changed after watching it again.
Trust me, I definitely will! I was thinking about this, and how my feelings about Eli changed so much. And -- this is going to seem like a really dumb comparison -- it's sort of how I changed my mind about Don Draper on Mad Men. I KNOW, the characters are nothing alike (although they are both haunted by their pasts), but my feelings about them evolved similarly. Because even though Don is the main character on the show, I seriously despised him for the first 3 seasons. I thought, he's a womanizer, he's selfish, he's a jerk, he's a horrible husband... etc. etc. And I wasn't wrong, but I just didn't get it and I couldn't look past his flaws to see what a brilliant character he was. Now I love him. And it's the same thing with Eli... I despised him because I thought he was a bully, he was all drama, he was violent, he was angry, and on and on. And again, I don't think I was wrong. But I failed to see the bigger picture. I failed to see what the writers had planned. I wasn't intrigued; I couldn't appreciate him. But then -- like Don -- something changed. I can't pinpoint the exact moment. I don't know what inspired my change of heart. But I'm very glad that it happened!

Now when I go back and watch those early seasons of Mad Men, I have a whole new appreciation of Don and see him in a totally different light. So I hope the same will be true of Eli.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:57 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Thanks for the new thread.

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:49 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
And it's the same thing with Eli... I despised him because I thought he was a bully, he was all drama, he was violent, he was angry, and on and on. And again, I don't think I was wrong. But I failed to see the bigger picture. I failed to see what the writers had planned. I wasn't intrigued; I couldn't appreciate him.
I get what it's like. I've felt the same about Lori from The Walking Dead for a very long time. It wasn't until season 2 finale, when she apologized to Shane that I suddenly started to understand her motivations and appreciate what a complex character she was.

I agree with you on Eli becoming the bully in his relationship with Fitz, which is weirdly the thing that I appreciated the most about that particular storyline. Although I probably saw it in a completely different light at that point in time. I always saw Eli as this character who despised being seen as weak, a victim. So he put up a front of being the tough guy, possibly to convince himself that he's not a weakling. And he's not, he's actually incredibly strong and brave. I think the problem is that Eli doesn't realise it himself. He constantly battles himself and people that surround him in order to become a stronger person, without realizing that he already is by simply hanging on. And when I think about it further, I believe it's his weakness that Eli despises most about himself, which is why he fights so fiercely against it.

There's actually a very good fic focusing on Eli's headspace during season 10 and his take on the situation with Fitz, written by our very own Kwinks. I don't know if you had read it but I believe she did an amazing job with characterization. It's set before the events in Jesus etc but after the promo containing the scene where Fitz shows up at Clare's doorstep and is a speculation of what the two might have talked about:

Downward Spiral, a degrassi fanfic | FanFiction

Look what I found on Tumblr, it breaks my heart:

Last edited by necklace; 02-25-2013 at 03:21 AM
Old 02-25-2013, 07:19 AM
Master Fan

Aww that so heartbreaking

Eli has changed over the years. Love his interactin with Dave, Jake ,Adam ,Alli
.He just has to deal with alot in his life at such a young age.
Its me or is Munro getting hotter by the day
Old 02-25-2013, 08:38 PM
Addicted Fan

I really need to rewatch those episodes. I only vaguely remember Eli's speech at the play. I remember being annoyed by it. You know, I wonder if he has any other repeated phrases like the "happy ending" thing. Eli's the kind of character where that sort of repetition/symbolism totally works... just like Don Draper! (I had to go back to that. I had to. )

So, I've been thinking about the Fitz/Eli thing and -- speaking strictly from my (potentially foggy) memory of that whole ordeal -- I think what bothered me most about it was that everything was from Eli's perspective. I just felt that... you know, the whole thing was contrived in such a way that we had no choice but to sympathize with Eli. Because Fitz just seemed one-dimensional to me. He existed solely as a rival for Eli, and as soon as he accomplished that purpose, he disappeared. (I know he came back later in that one episode as a born-again Christian but uh... I'm just gonna ignore that because it was so dumb. ) So the Eli/Fitz rivalry never had any meaning for me because Fitz seemed to exist only as a plot device (for lack of a better term) and a poor one at that, because their rivalry failed to endear me to Eli.

See, maybe I could have liked Eli back in season 10 if he had a rivalry with someone who didn't exist solely as a satellite. Someone who was a main character, who we could get to know independently of him. Someone like... Becky Baker!

Thanks for the fic rec! I will definitely read because I know Kwinks is a great writer.

On a sillier note... so, I've been going to my parents' house the last two Fridays to watch Degrassi since they get TeenNick in their cable package and I don't (i.e., I'm using them). Anyway, on Friday I roped my mom into watching the episode with me for moral support. She actually is familiar with Degrassi because I forced her to watch the entire series several years ago. (Including all the episodes from the '80s!) But then she gave up during season 8, not that I blame her. So BSS was the first episode she had seen in years, and she liked it! She's going to watch Friday's episode with me too. I'm excited to see what she thinks about Eli's shenanigans.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:51 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
I only vaguely remember Eli's speech at the play. I remember being annoyed by it.
I remember predicting that he's gonna break into a monologue on scene, whereas everyone else believed he will simply do sth stupid and ruin the play. Not that I wasn't worried about it anyway. The monologue, while spot-on, was a risk. It wouldn't take much to make the scene unintentionally funny. The fact that it wasn't can be undeniably chalked up to Munro's acting skills. I think that what I appreciated more, though, is Eli's talk with his father and the realization that he should care about getting better for himself.

Speaking of Munro, he recently(?) starred in Cracked:

fromthehillbythelake

You make fair points about Eli's rivalry with Fitz. It's not something I wasn't bothered by before. The lack of Fitz's pov didn't stop me from shipping the hell out of that pairing though. I remember how we had a thread for them here called "cockblockers" until mods asked us to change it (still bitter).

I sure hope your mom enjoys Eli's brand of crazy
Old 03-02-2013, 05:31 AM
Fan Forum Hero

TFNT! So eli's dream was interesting and it looks like Eclare is hitting a roadbump next week.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:27 AM
Addicted Fan

I'm sure the roadblock will be temporary. And that's all I'll say about that topic.

Eli was really great last night. Am I the only one super intrigued by Talia? I don't know... I'm assuming she was introduced only for this plot and is meant to be one of those throwaway characters, but all of her interactions with Eli were so much fun! I want her to stick around. I want to know more about her... you get the feeling that she may be burdened by a dark past, too.

This entire scene was breathtaking:

I also really liked the snippets we saw of the video yearbook. I wonder if we'll ever get to see it in full.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:31 AM
Extreme Fan

I enjoyed yesterday's episode quite a bit. Although I do admit that the dream sequence was... well I'm pretty sure it wasn't supposed to be funny but I snorted. I really loved the last sequence. My friend's comment about it and Talia was simply spot-on:

Quote:
Everything about the way this scene was shot was SO gorgeous - the red paint looked even brighter for some reason, outlining Eli in blood and how he splashed it over the blue heart (nice symbolism there =p) and how all the shots seemed jagged and fractured, plus all the paint worked so well and added the element of frenzy and jumbled, vibrant mess that they were trying to use to describe Eli’s mental state. I just loved loved loved this scene! Plus the actress who played Talia I thought was pretty good - there was something about her that conveyed someone who was messed up but refused to be broken, like this totally screwed-up defiance. It all worked really well together.
source: Well-Deserved Obscurity

The scene did have a certain feel to it. Like in Skins. Skins did a lot of those.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:08 PM
Master Fan

Wow Eli was so good last night you can see he is going to so much pain i feel sad for him Munro is doing a great episode .Like the scene' with Mo and Jake
Did he cuts his hair ? Looking forward to next week Bullfrog and Eli
Old 03-03-2013, 05:00 PM
Extreme Fan

The thing I didn't notice upon the first watch:

Seriously, Eli has the best lines.

Also, I've read somewhere on Tumblr that Talia is supposed to stick around past season 12. Not sure if it's true but if it is
Old 03-03-2013, 06:39 PM
Master Fan

looking forward to next week . I wanna no more about this chick who is she what is here story
Old 03-03-2013, 07:29 PM
Addicted Fan

Is that from the Much promo which I've somehow managed to avoid? Only because it wouldn't play on my phone and I was too lazy to seek it out again...

Wonder what he's referring to? Surely the ecstasy he took wasn't a near-lethal dose.
Reply   Post New Thread