Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2017, 08:32 AM
Dedicated Fan

Connie is the main, but not only, reason I watch. BUT I can't envision what the show will be like after Rayna dies, there's just no scenario I can come up with that doesn't suck. I don't want to see Deacon mourning her, I don't want to see her kids mourning her, I don't want to see tributes to the Queen of Country. It will massively change the landscape of the show for me and I can't really be bothered with any of it. It's not a case of 'no Connie I'm not watching' in a kind of tantrummy way, but more that life's too short to watch a load of stuff I'm not interested in seeing. Kind of like having to sit through episode 5.5 on repeat all season!
Old 02-08-2017, 08:51 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville615 (View Post)
As much as I hate to say it, if Connie's done with the show for good, just having her off-screen isn't particularly satisfying either.

I don't mind the way the writers/showrunners focus the storylines. It reminds me a lot of the last season of Parenthood, where every character wasn't in every show, and other shows, for that matter, where every character and storyline wasn't in every show. If they tried to accommodate everyone, I think we'd still be back to what people didn't like so much before - the rapid-fire, whiplash-inducing story changes.

But, like everything else in life, one person's likes/perspectives aren't everyone's. I like how these writers are handling the show. Now that I've gotten used to the slower pace, I'm enjoying it. Sure, there are some characters I'd like to see more of, but you can't please everyone all the time.
I like this new pace also. I just prefer Rayna alive somewhere more because that leaves that what if someday factor if not in anywhere else but in fanfiction. But death would end all and not wish that to them.

But like you said we all see things differently.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:38 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjou (View Post)
Connie is the main, but not only, reason I watch. BUT I can't envision what the show will be like after Rayna dies, there's just no scenario I can come up with that doesn't suck. I don't want to see Deacon mourning her, I don't want to see her kids mourning her, I don't want to see tributes to the Queen of Country. It will massively change the landscape of the show for me and I can't really be bothered with any of it. It's not a case of 'no Connie I'm not watching' in a kind of tantrummy way, but more that life's too short to watch a load of stuff I'm not interested in seeing. Kind of like having to sit through episode 5.5 on repeat all season!
There would have to be some mourning. It would seem odd if there weren't. But there could also be a significant time jump so that the viewers don't have to feel like they're wallowing in it for a long time. Who knows what they'll do?

I don't begrudge anyone their viewing choices. We all watch shows - and get invested in them - for different reasons. No one's reason is better (or worse) than anyone else's. And while I do wonder why someone would watch only one character's scenes and nothing else, it's a choice. It's not mine and it would never be worth it for me, but I don't judge.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:46 AM
Dedicated Fan

Oh don't get me wrong I never only watch Rayna's scenes. I've watched very minute of every episode repeatedly and I like all of the main characters. But my interest will wane very rapidly once Connie goes. Rayna is the anchor for me.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:55 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjou (View Post)
Oh don't get me wrong I never only watch Rayna's scenes. I've watched very minute of every episode repeatedly and I like all of the main characters. But my interest will wane very rapidly once Connie goes. Rayna is the anchor for me.
Same. Deacon, Maddie, Daphne (+Scarlett) will lose part of their family and it will be depressing. Deacon's music story is also tied up with Rayna. Scarlett, Gunnar, Will and Juliette are now all on her label. So now they'll be dealing with Zach instead? Meh. We finally get Rayna/Juliette back on the same label and Rayna's probably going to die before we really get anything. Meh to it all
Sarah [youtube]

Last edited by soapbubbles511; 02-08-2017 at 10:24 AM
Old 02-08-2017, 10:02 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville615 (View Post)
There would have to be some mourning. It would seem odd if there weren't. But there could also be a significant time jump so that the viewers don't have to feel like they're wallowing in it for a long time. Who knows what they'll do?

I don't begrudge anyone their viewing choices. We all watch shows - and get invested in them - for different reasons. No one's reason is better (or worse) than anyone else's. And while I do wonder why someone would watch only one character's scenes and nothing else, it's a choice. It's not mine and it would never be worth it for me, but I don't judge.
A significant time jump would be ideal because you're right I cant even stomach the thought of the other characters mourning for the rest of the season and I may even watch if there is at least a year time jump and then hopefully Deacon will move on w that album and maybe even with life. It wouldn't be so bad if a while after Deacon hit the dating scene with someone NOT resembling any of his past girlfriends lmao but again I really would need time because losing Rayna/Connie is a significant blow to the show. There's some shows I think we can all think of more than one that killing off the main character is a killer. Idk if anyone watches scandal but how could that show go on without Liv or fitz. Btw lol I stopped watching that bc I couldn't take the back and forth liv and fitz nonsense it wore on me. So I'm a sense this is again a Deacon losing Rayna situation and this final one I don't know if I'll give a chance AGAIN because this is forever! More I type the more I'm convinced I can't do it.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:22 AM
Fan Forum Star

Why is it a sin to apparently say you only watch for one person? I'm pretty open: I watch for Connie and JJ. Once Connie leaves, I'm out. JJ doesn't even get that many scenes for me to care about watching a full episode.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:30 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static Waves (View Post)
Why is it a sin to apparently say you only watch for one person? I'm pretty open: I watch for Connie and JJ. Once Connie leaves, I'm out. JJ doesn't even get that many scenes for me to care about watching a full episode.
I don't think anyone said it was a sin. All I said was that I didn't understand it. Not sure how you got "sin" out of that.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:02 AM
Loyal Fan

I actually like the slower pace and I'm not bothered if not much happens - but I want to watch not much happening to Javery and Scunner as much as Deyna and Maddie and the balance is all out so I am losing interest. I was passionate through the hell of S4 but this feeling is worse because I almost don't care anymore. And not helping is the rewrite/ignoring of history and the change in some characters personalities - instead if enjoying the limited time they get on screen I'm spending all my time wondering who the heck these people are
Old 02-08-2017, 11:11 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAB47 (View Post)
I actually like the slower pace and I'm not bothered if not much happens - but I want to watch not much happening to Javery and Scunner as much as Deyna and Maddie and the balance is all out so I am losing interest. I was passionate through the hell of S4 but this feeling is worse because I almost don't care anymore. And not helping is the rewrite/ignoring of history and the change in some characters personalities - instead if enjoying the limited time they get on screen I'm spending all my time wondering who the heck these people are
Makes me wonder if that is why Chip keeps mentioning in almost all his interviews that I have seen this season that the pace change but the characters are the same. Aside from a couple exceptions everyone else has changed and not for the better.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:16 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
It's not, but the statement could definitely be read as passive aggressive. Like, I'm not judging, but I kinda am because I'm mentioning how I don't get why anyone would do that. Whatevs.

Sadly, I'm getting more indifferent by the week. The Maddie stuff is killing me and I just wonder when the next episode without her is going to be. I don't want Rayna to die and I'm terrified of what they're going to do afterwards. I do NOT want a new teenager character - I don't even want the one we're focusing on now. And the rewrite of S/G is scary as well. If they're willing to do that to them, what else will they change on a whim?
Old 02-08-2017, 11:41 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
When the show first started I was interested in all the characters, but as the seasons have gone on I've slowly lost interest in everyone except for Rayna and Deacon, and I'm not nearly as interested in them as I used to be. So if Rayna's dead I'm out too.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:48 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup333 (View Post)
It's not, but the statement could definitely be read as passive aggressive. Like, I'm not judging, but I kinda am because I'm mentioning how I don't get why anyone would do that. Whatevs.
I guess it depends on the mindset of the person who reads it. Whatevs.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:03 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup333 (View Post)
Sadly, I'm getting more indifferent by the week. The Maddie stuff is killing me and I just wonder when the next episode without her is going to be. I don't want Rayna to die and I'm terrified of what they're going to do afterwards. I do NOT want a new teenager character - I don't even want the one we're focusing on now. And the rewrite of S/G is scary as well. If they're willing to do that to them, what else will they change on a whim?
I feel like they're pushing Maddie to have a superstar career and for it to take off this season with stadium tours and the whole nine yards. Whenever Connie leaves, if it's during the season or after it ends, then Juliette would become the experienced pro and Maddie would have the Juliette role of being the star with the tween fanbase. And just no. Total speculation, but the last thing I want is to watch more Maddie.

I used to enjoy all the characters, but this season, I hate Maddie with the heat of a thousand burning suns. And Scarlett is not enjoyable at all anymore. And Gunnar is almost absent. I miss the old way of storytelling where all the main characters had something to do in every ep. Since they removed Layla and Luke, there should be room to do that now.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:30 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal222 (View Post)
I used to enjoy all the characters, but this season, I hate Maddie with the heat of a thousand burning suns. And Scarlett is not enjoyable at all anymore. And Gunnar is almost absent. I miss the old way of storytelling where all the main characters had something to do in every ep. Since they removed Layla and Luke, there should be room to do that now.
You could be right about Maddie and where they're headed with that. I'm with you, less Maddie is more.

I was watching This is Us last week and thinking the way that show is structured is what I thought we'd be getting this season. No one is ever just absent from an episode, even if they're not the main or secondary story. I think the way these new guys are running it could have worked but it's not because of issues we've already listed one thousand times. So what it boils down to is a lot of people ARE gonna stop watching if Rayna dies. And if Maddie continues to be shoved down our throats on a weekly basis while they sideline literally everyone else, even more people will stop watching.

And at that point, if Maddie becomes the star of this show and we get another teenager and Rayna's dead and deacon's mourning and I'm still suffering through the randoms getting song after song after song while I've hardly even seen Gunnar and Avery and Juliette still haven't talked about their issues - I'm praying for cancellation at that point so these actors can be freed from the trainwreck.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread