Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2007, 09:09 PM
Obsessed Fan

Movies and their influence on your life

The latest revelation from Jessica Simpson had me thinking about life and how they are influenced by the movies and I would like to see if we can get a discussion going on what was said...

The gist of it is that watching The Notebook on a plane ride helped Jessica decide to end her marriage to Nick Lachey. I'm sure (or I at least hope) that it wasn't the only factor.

So my question is--do movies and their plots really have that much of an influence on you and your life?

After a bit more thought--I'll post my feelings on the topic.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:42 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Movies have effected my life in a lot of ways actually, not all good!
I remember watching Dirty Dozen when I was about 7, and crying myself to sleep for a week after that, I hated the Nazi's, and since I was a kid and didnt know all Germans werent Nazis I hated them too, until I was about 12 and we were gonna go to Germany for a week and I cried so hard cause I was so scared of going there, but now I know that obviousley Germans are good people, and they are not Nazi murderers, so I just hate the Nazis now! but that movie probobley had the biggest effect on my life.

[TWENTY YEARS OF YOUNG AMERICANS!]
Join us for one l a s t celebration!♡
♪_where would we be without a little l o v e?
[ Sheida : Tumblr | Twitter | Instagram ]
s e r e n i t y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:44 PM
Fan Forum Star

I think that some movies really do affect some peoples lives, maybe something you never thought about before and after seeing a movie about a topic they might be going through or did go through, either a good or bad thing, it all depends but I do believe that some movies do influence people.
My LJ
AutumnColorsღ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:31 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Movies definately affect peoples lives, and the mvoies that do are the good ones, like after I watched 'Blood Diamond' I seriousley said to myself I wont be buying any diamonds any time soon.
Its good that movies give us the chance to open our eyes to something taht we were oblivious to before!

Old 02-09-2007, 12:12 AM
New Fan

It is true that sometimes movies affect your life. We learn from movies and sometimes if we're sad movies make us smile. If your heart broken and you watched a really romantic movie sometimes you feel good.
Janna122003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 07:32 PM
Obsessed Fan

Yes they may influence your life in certain ways---but would you announce to the world (if you could) through the media that watching The Notebook made you decide to end your marriage?

I know if I were to say that to my friends they would call me crazy.

Granted I'm sure we aren't getting the full quote from Ms. Simpson.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:42 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by taovande (View Post)
Yes they may influence your life in certain ways---but would you announce to the world (if you could) through the media that watching The Notebook made you decide to end your marriage?

I know if I were to say that to my friends they would call me crazy.

Granted I'm sure we aren't getting the full quote from Ms. Simpson.
Of course it's Jessica Simpson too, we mustn't forget that And this comes late but congratulations on becoming mod of the Movies board! I think you'll do a great job, I always enjoy reading your posts.

I'm not so sure if movies have affected me as to that extent, but I do know that movies have a huge influence on my mood. I always get so melancholy after watching Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Before Sunset or The Hours and I can be in a funk for hours afterwards. Can't say it's healthy, but I do love those movies.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:06 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I wouldnt make life changing choices based on movies, they are movies afterall and not all those things happen in real life! Some of them present a Euphoria, a thing that might not be reached, so its not exactly wise to depend on them so much as to decide to get divorced cause of it!

Old 02-10-2007, 08:22 AM
Obsessed Fan

Goodnightboy: True--Can't forget that we are talking about Jessica Simpson!

Also I agree about it affecting the mood that I might be in. If I watch Love Actually (a movie that technically should lift my spirits as it's a romantic dramedy) it makes me feel so depressed!

I think watching movies starting at a young age has affected me and my sisters lives. My mom used to take us to the cheap $3.00 dollar movies early in the morning and she hardly ever took us to see the animated movies--she took us to see decent adult movies (within reason, of course). And I remember becoming obsessed at that age--and it's carried on through my life. My sister is actually a screenwriter--nothing picked up yet, but she's been a finalist in a competition--and we always tell my mom it's because of her (We also "blame" her when we go out and buy our 600th DVD--no lie.)

So I'm trying to say, after that ramble, that an actual scene of a movie didn't really influence me, but just the idea of movies and the experience of sitting in a theatre has definitely influenced my life.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:13 AM
Master Fan

600 DVDs? oh and you can call me Gwen by the way. If it's easier.

The thing about movies is that there is the tendency is to focus on 'movies' - the film, forgetting that movies also involve the trip to the cinema and sitting in the seat and whatever. Which is what Hollywood is bemoaning (the fact that cinema attendances are down and DVDs is becoming a big market - then again I think it's Hollywood becoming stale rather than anything else and this has no place in this discussion). Anyway, the point was, movie-going is the experience. You brought up a good point - if movies can influence us, why can't the movie experience influence us as well? Although I must say it doesn't influence me that much - I don't watch that many movies actually.

Also, pottyaboutharry - I'm not trying to be nitpicky, but I think the word you're looking for is 'utopia'..?
Old 02-10-2007, 04:11 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Anyway, the point was, movie-going is the experience. You brought up a good point - if movies can influence us, why can't the movie experience influence us as well?
I definitely think the movie-going experience can and has influenced my life.

Quote:
So I'm trying to say, after that ramble, that an actual scene of a movie didn't really influence me, but just the idea of movies and the experience of sitting in a theatre has definitely influenced my life.
That's definitely the case for me as well.

Quote:
I think watching movies starting at a young age has affected me and my sisters lives. My mom used to take us to the cheap $3.00 dollar movies early in the morning and she hardly ever took us to see the animated movies--she took us to see decent adult movies (within reason, of course). And I remember becoming obsessed at that age--and it's carried on through my life.
That has been the case for me as well except that it was my dad that took us.....and I also have a brother.

But, the point being that my love for movies started at a young age and like you, I was seeing decent adult movies since a young age. I've been obsessed with movies since then and it is still true today.

I see at least 2 movies in the theater a week if not more.

Quote:
The gist of it is that watching The Notebook on a plane ride helped Jessica decide to end her marriage to Nick Lachey. I'm sure (or I at least hope) that it wasn't the only factor.
I read this quote in a magazine and I must admit I rolled my eyes. I'm sorry, but the idea of her deciding to end her marriage after watching a movie.........The Notebook no less........struck me as ridiculous. But, as it has been pointed out.....it wasn't elaborated on in great detail, so hopefully there was more to it than just watching a movie. But, even so I was curious as to what specifically in the movie influneced her "decision".

Quote:
So my question is--do movies and their plots really have that much of an influence on you and your life?
I definitely think movies influence people's lives whether it be positively or even negatively and I'm sure there are tons of examples of both.

I really appreciate movies that make you think or learn about something you never would have otherwise. I think those are the movies that have the biggest influences on people's lives.
Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 06:44 PM
Elite Fan

I think that Jessica Simpson is ridiculous! She let 9/11 make her decide to not only get back together with Nick but also marrying him and The Notebook made her end her marriage. Does anyone else think that is ridiculous? Maybe I'm just crazy
Annie Jeff / Leslie Ben / Maria Michael / Pam Jim / Joey Pacey / Tyra Tim
jackiehydelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 07:20 PM
Obsessed Fan

I definitely think it's ridiculous. But I'm not sure which is worse---actually doing something because of a movie or telling the media that is the reason for ending a marriage.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:25 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
I read this quote in a magazine and I must admit I rolled my eyes. I'm sorry, but the idea of her deciding to end her marriage after watching a movie.........The Notebook no less........struck me as ridiculous. But, as it has been pointed out.....it wasn't elaborated on in great detail, so hopefully there was more to it than just watching a movie. But, even so I was curious as to what specifically in the movie influneced her "decision".
Yeah, that's kinda weird. But I think the movie just made her think a little bit. I'm pretty sure she didn't watch it and then say, "It's over!" Now, that would be insane.
~Brady~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 09:55 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWalker (View Post)
I think this is the consequence of the celebrity and Reality TV age. She's acted like a perfect celebrity: doing things impulsively (in matters of the heart), and then spilling her guts to the media. It's this obsession with celebrities really. I'm not saying that all celebrities are like that, but a lot of them are. And it's quite sad really.

sorry for going OT.