Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2006, 05:08 AM
Master Fan

2007 Academy Awards Discussion

I was just wondering who do you think will get award nominations this year for the Academy Awards seeing that all the big awards will be here soon. Give your predictions and discuss your picks.

Best Picture:
Best Director:
Best Actor In Leading Role:
Best Actress In A Leading Role:
Best Actor In A Supporting Role:
Best Actress In A Supporting Role:
Best Animated Film:

If you wanna talk about other catergories I left out then go right ahead.

I'll be back later to pick and discuss my predictions.
The Survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 09:09 AM
Obsessed Fan

I love award season! I'll bold the ones I think will win.

Best Picture: I've seen three out of the five choices (and only because the other two haven't been released yet) I wish The Departed would win--but I think it'll go to Dreamgirls

Babel
The Departed
Dreamgirls
Letters to Iwo Jima
(and wishful thinking on my part) Little Miss Sunshine

Best Director: I've seen two out of the 5 choices (and like the above--the others haven't been released in my area) Out of the two I saw--It's all Marty for me.

Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu (Babel)
Martin Scorsese (The Departed) He has to win sometime..right? Right?
Clint Eastwood (Letters to Iwo Jima)
Bill Condon (Dreamgirls)
Stephen Frears (The Queen)

Best Actor In Leading Role: I've only seen Leo's performance out of my choices but all the buzz is still on Whittaker--But I wouldn't be shocked if any of my other choices won instead.

Forest Whittaker (The Last King of Scotland)
Leonardo Dicaprio (The Departed or Blood Diamond--depends on which way the studio pushes)
Ryan Gosling (Half Nelson)
Peter O'Toole (Venus)
not sure of the fifth person

Best Actress In A Leading Role: Helen Mirren has been cleaning up at the award shows thus far. I wish my favorite Kate Winslet would win--but I don't think it's going to happen this year.

Kate Winslet (Little Children)
Helen Mirren (The Queen)
Penelope Cruz (Volver)
Meryl Streep (The Devil Wears Prada)
Naomi Watts (The Painted Veil)

Best Actor In A Supporting Role: I'm rooting for Djimon...but the academy adores Jack--and he was so over the top and in your face--I doubt the academy will resist him.

Djimon Houson (Blood Diamond)
Jack Nicholson (The Departed)
Eddie Murphy (Dreamgirls)
Brad Pitt (Babel)
Michael Sheen (The Queen)

Best Actress In A Supporting Role: I'm definitely rootin for the last three listed here--but with all the buzz Jennifer is getting I'm sure she will win.

Jennifer Hudson (Dreamgirls)
Cate Blanchett (Notes on a Scandel)
Abigail Breslin (Little Miss Sunshine)
Rinko Kikuchi (Babel)
Adriana Barraza (Babel)
Old 12-11-2006, 10:54 AM
Obsessed Fan

I don't know about any of the other categories right now...

But I honestly believe Cameron Diaz, may get a best actress (or supporting) nomination for The Holiday (Nancy Meyer).

I think she may be the "wild card" no one sees coming because she is Cameron Diaz, who is usually associated with light and fluffy films where she doesn't have to really act. However, in The Holiday, she carries the film more so than Kate Winslet, in my opinion, even though the entire cast is good as a whole, and she has definitely matured as an actress and a woman/screen presence who should be taken seriously if she continues down this path and stays away from the "Charlie's Angels" type of films.

I expect to see Little Miss Sunshine up for Best Picture because it is a "safe" picture and one of the more visible independent films with name actors like Alan Arkin -- Who I suspect will get a Best Supporting Actor nod for his portrayal as the scene-stealing grandfather as well.

I believe Kate Winslet may be to overexposed right now and this might work against her if she is nominated for either Best Actress, or Best Supporting Actress. She has talent, no doubt, but she just happens to be in a lot of projects right now that may force Academy Voters to choose what nomination they can give her which ultimately may turn some of them off if she is "everywhere" so-to-speak.
UnsilentMajorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:51 AM
Master Fan

Time for my picks.

Best Picture: I am hoping that The Departed will get an Oscar nod. It was a real good film and you don't see things coming in what happens in the movie. This is probably one of the Best Martin Scorcese movies I have seen in a long, long time. Other probably nominees: Dreamgirls, Two Letters from Iwo Jima, The Queen and Babel.

Best Director: For me I hope Martin Scorcese gets nominated again and actually wins. He's a very talented director and has made some real good classic movies. I wouldn't be suprised if Clint Eastwood gets nominated for "Two Letters for Iwo Jima.

Best Actor: I am going to have to jump on the bandwagon and say Forrest Whitaker with all the hype surrounding his performance in "The Last King of Scotland" will in all likely hood be nominated. I also think that Leonardo DiCaprio will be nominated for his performance in "The Departed." I would not be suprised if Sacha Boren Cohen got a nomination for "Borat."

Best Supporting Actor: I am torn on this one. I would like to see Eddie Murphy get a nomination for his role in "Dreamgirls" being that I have been a fan of his for a long time now. Then again I am long time fan of Jack Nicholson and I think he will get nomination for his role in "The Departed."

Best Actress: I think Helen Mirren without a doubt will be nominated in her role in "The Queen." I do think that either Kate Winslet or Cameron Diaz might get a nomination for their roles in "The Holiday."

Best Supporting Actress: I think Jennifer Hudson might get a nomination for her role in Dreamgirls and especially with the hype surrounding her performance in the film.

Best Animated Film: Happy Feet will get a nomination. The movie is a success and very entertaining. I think if it is nominated it will probably win the award.
The Survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 09:52 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Best Actor In Leading Role: but all the buzz is still on Whittaker

Forest Whittaker (The Last King of Scotland)
While It's been fashionable in recent years to award the Best Actor or Best Actress
Oscar to an actor for a portrayl of a celebrity living or dead. This year's Oscar will without a doubt go to Forest Whittaker for The Last King of Scotland. It's a downright scary and accurate portrayl of a madman.

Quote:
Best Actress In A Leading Role: Helen Mirren has been cleaning up at the award shows thus far.
Helen Mirren does indeed deserve a nomination in this year's Best Actress Oscar category. However, Imo The Queen in alot of respects is terribly overrated. Once again it's a reenactment of someone else's life. My own particular favorite in this category is a real long shot, Penelope Cruz (Volver). Unfortunately most people only know of her acting abilities in films where she's speaking english. In her native language she's a wonderful and talented actress.
MarkedBlackBehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 06:19 PM
Banned

Best Picture:
The Departed
Bobby
Babel
Little Miss Sunshine
Blood Diamond

I would pick The Departed as the best picture of 2006. I haven't seen Babel, Little Miss Sunshine, or Blood Diamond but I did want to see them way before all the buzz and hype about them. LOL

Best Director:
Martin Scorsese (The Departed)
Emilio Estevez (Bobby)
Clint Eastwood (for either Flags of Our Fathers or Letters from Iwo Jima)
Blood Diamond
Little Miss Sunshine

I'd pick Scorsese mainly because he's due for a win and the movie was great.

Best Actor In Leading Role:
Leonardo DiCaprio(The Departed and/or Blood Diamond)
Forest Whitaker (The Last King of Scotland)
Johnny Depp (Pirates of the Carribean 2)
Sasha Baron Cohen (Borat)
Brad Pitt (Babel)

I have only seen POTC 2 and The Departed but I've heard good things about Blood Diamond, Borat, Bable, and the Last King of Scotland. I put Brad Pitt in this category cause seems like he is more in a leading role than supporting role.

Best Actress In A Leading Role:
Can't think of any.

Best Actor In A Supporting Role:
Matt Damon (The Departed)
Jack Nicholson (The Departed)
Ben Affleck (Hollywoodland)
Djimon Hounsou (Blood Diamond)
Steve Carrell (Little Miss Sunshine)

I would either give it to Damon or Nicholson.

Best Actress In A Supporting Role:
Jennifer Hudson (Dreamgirls)
Cate Blanchett (Babel)
Can't think of any others.

Best Animated Film:
Cars
Happy Feet
Over the Hedge
I haven't seen Happy Feet but I really liked Cars.
Jacob1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 08:08 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I havent seen a lot of the movies that would be considered oscar-worthy this year since movies come a few months late to my country, I did however see Hard Candy and as much as I wasnt very fond of the story or the ending I absoloutely adored Emily Paige (thats her name right) in this movie, she was just an amazing actress and the directing was also great and I realy expected to be nominated for at least a golden globe, but oh well!

[TWENTY YEARS OF YOUNG AMERICANS!]
Join us for one l a s t celebration!♡
♪_where would we be without a little l o v e?
[ Sheida : Tumblr | Twitter | Instagram ]
s e r e n i t y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 11:40 PM
Part-Time Fan

Deserving of nominations in the Best Actor catergory at this years academy, but long shots at best. Danny Huston and Ray Winstone for their work in The Proposition.
But the winner will still be Forest Whitaker for his portrayl of Idi Amin in The Last King of Scotland.

Also deserving of a nomination this year, once again for The Proposition, is Nick Cave for Best Original Screenplay.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:45 PM
Total Fan

Helen Mirren's got it in the bag this year. Those British people sure can act

I can't stand how movies that pretty much the "general" public doesn't see win stuff. Forest is a good actor but really who the hell saw The Last King of Scotland

Nayden-fan868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:13 AM
Banned

I don't mind that indie movies get nominated for awards but they should be available for everyone to see.
Jacob1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 02:23 PM
Master Fan

I think "The Pursuit of Happyness" will win something. Best Picture or Best Leading Actor {Will Smith}.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:36 PM
Part-Time Fan

Best Cinematography - Curse of the Golden Flower

Best Costume Design - Curse of the Golden Flower
Old 12-22-2006, 07:09 PM
Part-Time Fan

Who I think will get in.

Best Picture
Little Miss Sunshine
Dreamgirls
The Departed
The Queen
Letters from Iwo Jima

Best Actor
Forest Whitaker - Last King of Scotland
Peter O Toole - Venus
Will Smith - Pursuit of Happyness
Leo DiCaprio - The Departed/Blood Diamond
Ryan Gosling - Half Nelson

Best Actress
Hellen Mirren - The Queen
Judi Dench - Notes on a Scandal
Meryl Streep - Devil Wears Prada
Kate Winslet - Little Children
Penelope Cruz - Volver

Supporting Actor
Jack Nicholson - The Departed
Eddie Murphy - Dreamgirls
Brad Pitt - Babel
Dijimon Honsou - Blood Diamond
Mark Wahlberg - The Departed

Supporting Actress
Jennifer Hudson - Dreamgirls
Cate Blanchett - Notes on a Scandal
Rinko Kikuchi - Babel
Adriana Barraza - Babel
Abigail Breslin - Little Miss Sunshine
You know I'll stick by you for the rest of my life.
You're the only man who's ever been inside of me!
JD Bluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 06:19 PM
Part-Time Fan

Bump

Tomorrow !
You know I'll stick by you for the rest of my life.
You're the only man who's ever been inside of me!
JD Bluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:44 PM
Obsessed Fan

i want Meryl to win best actress, and Jennifer H. to win best supporting actress and Eddie to win best supporting actor. And Will Smith needs to win Best Actor. I would like Bill Condon to win Best Director, but Martin Scorsese has to win sometime, i hope this is his year.. I expect Dreamgirls to get nominated for Best Picture..but i don't think it will win cause i read that no film with a mostly african-american cast has won best picture before...no idea if thats true, i just read it on msnbc.com i think it was. Although i want it to win so bad

i haven't seen ANY animated films this year...and i usually love seeing those