Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2018, 09:17 PM
I am a basketball genius!

The original Conan? I think the most recent 1 was with Jason Mamoa & Rachel Nichols.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:35 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
Dragonslayer was silly crap, but the original Conan movie is a classic. The character of Valeria was great in that, really convincng as a strong, capable female warrior and very relatable.

Liv Tyler was good as Arwen. Eowyn was the worst thing in the movie. They totally miscast her, as bad as Hayden as Anakin in the Star Wars Prequels.

The Hobbit didn't need two parts, just one.
You mean it didn't need 3 parts

Eowyn didn't fit Liv was okay but I think too young at the time
Old 03-05-2018, 07:45 AM
Fan Forum Star

Liv wasn't too young. Elf women traditionally look young.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:47 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

yeah, I know but she just looked too childish to me
Old 03-05-2018, 08:01 AM
Fan Forum Star

Didn't to me.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:42 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Well, I didn't like Liv Tyler as Arwen. I really didn't think she brought much to the role, I didn't think she sold the English accent, and she seemed really bland and there wasn't much about her relationship with Aragorn that was interesting. Not to mention it was overcasting since Arwen didn't have much to do in the films and it just seemed like an excuse to cast a hot Hollywood actress of the moment. I thought Kate Beckinsale or some other British actress could've done a better job. You know, like Sophie.

This is one scene that is an example of why I love Conan The Barbarian. Basil Poleduris' music is the most alpha thing I've ever heard.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:43 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
Well, I didn't like Liv Tyler as Arwen. I really didn't think she brought much to the role, I didn't think she sold the English accent, and she seemed really bland and there wasn't much about her relationship with Aragorn that was interesting.
There wasn't much in Arwen's relationship with Aragorn that ws interesting in the books either. That wasn't Liv's fault. She was one of the few good castings in the LOTR films.

Quote:
Not to mention it was overcasting since Arwen didn't have much to do in the films and it just seemed like an excuse to cast a hot Hollywood actress of the moment. I thought Kate Beckinsale or some other British actress could've done a better job. You know, like Sophie.
Sophie was 5 at the time. Live was good casting and she did a good job. There are plenty of examples of bad casting in the LOTR films. There's no need to hit out at the few good castings. Gimli, Merry, Pippin, Gandalf, Saruman, Aragorn, Eowyn, Galadriel, Legolas, Elrond, Frodo, Bilbo -all those were miscast, some very badly.

Quote:
This is one scene that is an example of why I love Conan The Barbarian. Basil Poleduris' music is the most alpha thing I've ever heard.
Yes, it's an impressive scene. It was a powerful film. The sequel was crap, though.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:17 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I agree, Arwen wasn't that well developed in the books either. But I still would've preferred an English actress in the role instead of Liv.

Yes, I know that Sophie was way too young at the time. But wow, was there any casting in LOTR that you liked?

Don't get me started on Conan The Destroyer. That was another example of Dino De Laurentis screwing up a good thing. John Milius and Oliver Stone wrote the original screenplay with the intention of making sequels based on the Robert E Howard books and the Marvel comics. But the studio felt that the original could've made even more money if it had been PG rated and the violence had been cut down, so that's why the sequel was neutered. Stone and Milius had nothing to do with the sequel, and the sequel was watered down to be more family friendly, which ruined it. And what's even worse is that one of the writers of Conan The Destroyer was none other than Marvel and DC writer Gerry Conway. What a disappointment.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:07 PM
Fan Forum Star

There were a few characters that were cast well, such as Sam, Theoden, Eomer, Arwen and Boromir. Though Sean Bean would have been better in the Aragorn role.

You know what film is even worse than conan the Destroyer? Red Sonja. Bloody awful.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:13 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

I tried to watch Red Sonja once.

Why do you say Legolas was miscast?
Old 03-07-2018, 03:28 PM
Fan Forum Star

Because Orlando Bloom can't act and is as much like an elf as he is like a flying tomato.

Brigitte Nielsen was dreadful as Red Sonja. She couldn't act.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:53 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Ugh, Red Sonja. Just an excuse to give Brigitte Nielsen a movie of her own. It was horrible, and a waste of Sandahl Bergman.

Wow, I'm surprised you can even watch LOTR, sum1. I agree with you about Aragorn, but I still don't like Liv as Arwen.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:12 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

my only problem with Legolas' casting is that he should have been taller I think. As for Legolas, I don't understand why he didn't care more about his homeland. He, the Prince of Mirkwood is gallivanting all over the place when he should be at home defending his kingdom.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:17 PM
Fan Forum Star

Hey, that's how Tolkien wrote it.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:35 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Tolkien only cared about his damn Hobbits. He didn't develop the other characters all that well.