Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 03-23-2017, 06:47 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
Iron Man was a crap film. The only watchable Iron Man film was the second one. And Iron Man 3 has to rank with Superman 4 and Revenge of the Sith as one of the worst movies ever.

Winter Soldier was a fun film, but the politics annoyed the crap out of me.
The second one? OMG, I hated that movie. Mickey Rourke's Whiplash was an embarrassment. Even Jon Favreau apologized to fans for that movie and admitted that it had been rushed into production by the studio and wasn't the film he wanted to make. The second Iron Man film currently ranks as the worst MCU film ever, even worse than The Incredible Hulk. Guess that's another thing we're gonna have to disagree on. I agree with you about Iron Man 3, though. That movie managed to ruin both the Mandarin and the Extremis storylines in a single film. I didn't even bother to watch Civil War because I knew they would deviate too far from the comics, and I couldn't bear to watch them give Scott Lang the Giant-Man identity. The first time the movie audience's eyes pop out when Giant-Man appears should've been with Hank Pym. He's been Giant-Man for over 40 years in the comics, much longer than he was ever Ant-Man. Scott Lang has never been Giant-Man.

I liked the basic plot of Winter Soldier, and I thought he dialogue and action scenes were terrific. I get what you mean about the politics, but I think it was done well enough to keep it from being annoying for me... unlike X-3: The Last Stand, which was so nauseatingly obvious and ruined Cyclops, Jean Grey, and the Dark Phoenix storyline.

Last edited by PhoenixRising; 03-23-2017 at 06:59 AM
Old 03-23-2017, 03:09 PM
Fan Forum Star

Mickey Rourke was quite effective as Whiplash. Good as crazy and dangerous. Sam Rockwell wasn't much use as Justin Hammer, though. Positively annoying and nothing lke the original character. John Favreau should apologize for the first Iron Man film, not the second. The Incredible Hulk film was dreadful. Ang Lee's Hulk was much better. In Incredible Hulk, Ed Norton and Tim Roth were both a total pain in the ass. Iron Man 3's Mandarin was an insult. and why do they have to keep dragging on that boring romance with Pepper Potts? Iron Man didn't stick with her that long in the comics. What about Bethany Cabe? Gwyneth Paltrow hasn't exactly distinguished herself as Pepper. Civil War was ok, but that storyline came out in the comics too recently for my liking. They should ban Marvel-based films from basing anything on stories published past the 20th century. And Cap's sulky pal Bucky the Wanker Soldier tends to get on my nerves. And Spider Man was terrible in it. The actor came off like a 6 year old. X3 was dreadful, but Captain America: The Wanker Soldier's politics were highly irresponsible.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:24 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I know what you mean about Winter Soldier's politics, but I think it moved in the sci-fi realm just enough for it to avoid being irritating for me. It was very Terminator/Skynet with all those automated SHIELD Helicarriers, and I think it succeeded where Age of Ultron failed doing the same basic plot... among other things Age of Ultron got wrong.

Nah, I think Whiplash could've been done a lot better. He should've remained a more mysterious figure whose motives aren't revealed until later, and he should've had the actual Whiplash costume instead of just exo-skeletal arms and dreadlocks. And I didn't like how they marginalized the Crimson Dynamo storyline in Iron Man 2, not even referring to the armor as "Crimson Dynamo." I agree with you about Justin Hammer. I hated Sam Rockwell's interpretation and I thought the whole thing with that army of automated robots(another unoriginal idea which got recycled for Age of Ultron) was uninteresting. I would've preferred they used Hammer's armored mercenary team(Firebrand, Blizzard, Whiplash, Force, etc.) along with Crimson Dynamo, and the whole Armor Wars storyline from the 80's, which is one of my favorite Marvel storylines.

Ohhh, I do agree with you about Pepper Potts. The only reason she stuck around for three movies is because Gwyneth Paltrow played her. You're right, there are a lot of other female protagonists that could've been in them instead. I didn't much like Ang Lee's Hulk either, but I couldn't stand how illogical the Ed Norton Hulk movie was. I'll probably talk about that later on another thread. And I'm glad I didn't see Civil War because I knew Marvel would screw it up. And they didn't really even need Spider-Man there just for a cameo. Marvel's getting ridiculous with making each MCU movie nothing more than a trailer for another MCU movie coming out later. And yes, how many Marvel stories have been published in the 1970's, 80's, and 90's that they haven't used yet? The Civil War movie didn't even use the main theme from the comic story, which was a post-9/11 allegory about civil liberties and national security, so what was the point? I heard the movie made it all about Bucky instead.

X-3 was just an insult to be as a comic book fan. It's the reason I gave up on the X-Men films until Days of Future Past. What they did to Scott and Jean was unforgivable. And I didn't buy screenwriter Zak Penn's excuse that "Cyclops always wearing glasses and goggles makes it difficult for the audience to relate to him because they can't see his eyes, and Wolverine is the more popular character."
Old 03-23-2017, 11:55 PM
Master Fan

I was wondering if we should combine this thread into Famke/Sophie or should we wait until the next thread.

Last edited by LightYears; 03-24-2017 at 12:25 AM
Old 03-24-2017, 03:33 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
I know what you mean about Winter Soldier's politics, but I think it moved in the sci-fi realm just enough for it to avoid being irritating for me. It was very Terminator/Skynet with all those automated SHIELD Helicarriers, and I think it succeeded where Age of Ultron failed doing the same basic plot... among other things Age of Ultron got wrong.
I liked Age of Ultron better.

Quote:
Nah, I think Whiplash could've been done a lot better. He should've remained a more mysterious figure whose motives aren't revealed until later, and he should've had the actual Whiplash costume instead of just exo-skeletal arms and dreadlocks.
He was quite effective. I don't really care how much he fit the comics, because he's not a major character in the comics.

Quote:
Ohhh, I do agree with you about Pepper Potts. The only reason she stuck around for three movies is because Gwyneth Paltrow played her.
Paltrow gets in my nerves. I keep expecting her to try to sell Tony Stark some sort of diet.

Quote:
Marvel's getting ridiculous with making each MCU movie nothing more than a trailer for another MCU movie coming out later.
They're doing that a lot, yeah.

Quote:
X-3 was just an insult to be as a comic book fan. It's the reason I gave up on the X-Men films until Days of Future Past. What they did to Scott and Jean was unforgivable. And I didn't buy screenwriter Zak Penn's excuse that "Cyclops always wearing glasses and goggles makes it difficult for the audience to relate to him because they can't see his eyes, and Wolverine is the more popular character."
Yeah, X3 was total crap. And killing off Scott kind of by-the-way was so infuriating.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:43 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Yea the killing of Scott pissed me off to no end
Old 03-24-2017, 05:17 AM
Fan Forum Star

I'm with you there, Sarah.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
I would've preferred they used Hammer's armored mercenary team(Firebrand, Blizzard, Whiplash, Force, etc.) along with Crimson Dynamo, and the whole Armor Wars storyline from the 80's, which is one of my favorite Marvel storylines.
Armor Wars was reasonably good. I like Armor Wars II better, because it's pencilled by JRJR.

Quote:
I didn't much like Ang Lee's Hulk either,
I seem to be one of the few people who liked that film. Excellent cast, some fine acting, marvellous Hulk vs US military scenes, yes it had too much woffle, but it's a real film, unlike most Marvel movies.

Quote:
but I couldn't stand how illogical the Ed Norton Hulk movie was.
Dreary, negative-spirited film with annoying performances by Norton and Roth and terrible CGI, complete with totally overdone bullcrap action of the modern sort. The only stand-out good point was that Brazilian actress, who was incredibly good-looking.

Quote:
And I'm glad I didn't see Civil War because I knew Marvel would screw it up. And they didn't really even need Spider-Man there just for a cameo. Marvel's getting ridiculous with making each MCU movie nothing more than a trailer for another MCU movie coming out later. And yes, how many Marvel stories have been published in the 1970's, 80's, and 90's that they haven't used yet? The Civil War movie didn't even use the main theme from the comic story, which was a post-9/11 allegory about civil liberties and national security, so what was the point? I heard the movie made it all about Bucky instead.
Mixed feelings about Cvil War. I don't have your issues with their Ant Man, but I'm sick of Bucky -he should have stayed dead. And like I said, Spider Man was dreadful. That kid Tom Holland totally isn't up to the job.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:58 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Jean killing him too
Old 03-24-2017, 05:30 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Well guess who wrote the script for X-3? The same who wrote The Incredible Hulk. None other than Hollywood hack screenwriter, Zak Penn. He's also the guy who wrote the first draft for The Avengers, and when Joss Whedon came on board to direct and re-write the script, he said that Penn's original draft was "a total mess." Penn is also the guy who said that Cyclops wasn't relatable because he wears glasses and a visor all the time and you can't see his eyes. Guess what? Daredevil is blind and wears glasses and a mask most of the time and you almost never see his eyes, but that doesn't stop him from being the lead in his own Netflix series, does it?

Last edited by PhoenixRising; 03-24-2017 at 05:50 PM
Old 03-25-2017, 04:04 AM
Fan Forum Legend

The Incredible Hulk? the one with Ed Norton?
Old 03-25-2017, 06:14 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by just have a little faith (View Post)
The Incredible Hulk? the one with Ed Norton?

Yep, the one with Ed Norton. Zak Penn wrote that. He gets paid by Hollywood to write some of the worst comic book movies ever made.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:35 AM
Fan Forum Star

That was an awful movie.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:18 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yep. I'm glad Zak Penn doesn't get any screenwriting jobs anymore. He desecrated more superheroes than anyone.

I'm really hoping they keep Sophie for Jean and Tye for Scott, and not recast the roles again because they're gonna be older in the next movie.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:37 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I liked that movie
Old 03-26-2017, 11:48 AM
Fan Forum Star

That movie was a nightmare. But I don't think the writing was the worst of it. Ed Norton, Tim Roth, the CGI and the action were the worst things in the film. Though the general dreary tone didn't help. Ang Lee's movie was much better.